• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not investing on the rumor, but I'm not denying it either. That's how I always roll, but I always keep the skepticism high.

Yeah but the rumor says it's either both or nothing, you can't have just one. :nifty:
Well yeah, that's why I don't believe the rumor.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo has already deconfirmed Waluigi in Smash. If you want to play Smash Bros. with Waluigi, then Super Smash Flash 2's 1.2 update is the game for you.
Well, there was something leaked on papagenos papagenos discord about Waluigi and someone else. He explained the leak in his recent video. I don't know if he's that active though here. I haven't really seen him here. I hope it's true, but I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nintendo has already deconfirmed Waluigi in Smash. If you want to play Smash Bros. with Waluigi, then Super Smash Flash 2's 1.2 update is the game for you.
Better not want Bandana Dee or Lloyd then, because Smash Flash 2 has them as well!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I don't believe the Paragon leak for a second. Obviously the guy knew some things about Hero and Banjo, but the rest is prime-cut memery. It's not impossible for Waluigi to miraculously make it in despite everything (personally, I think it's better if they save him for the next game), but an Undertale character? That's where it loses me completely.

I'm not a hater, but let's be real: Sans is a Goku or Shrek-tier meme pick. The mechanics of Undertale are completely incompatible with the mechanics of Smash (how on God's green earth are they going to make the "Only 1 HP but super hard to hit" thing work?!). And I don't see a character from a tiny zero-budget Western indie RPG getting into a pass with Joker, Hero, and Banjo-Kazooie. I mean, maybe I'll eat my words, Smash is crazy and there are basically no rules, but this is not a bet I'd take.

As for Waluigi himself, as a character... eh, I'm not crazy about him, but like I said in the Banjo social thread, Ultimate has already spoiled me crazy hard with King K. Rool and Banjo, so I'm not going to sit here hoping that other people don't get the characters they want. So, sure, put me down as a supporter.

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
I don't believe the Paragon leak for a second. Obviously the guy knew some things about Hero and Banjo, but the rest is prime-cut memery. It's not impossible for Waluigi to miraculously make it in despite everything (personally, I think it's better if they save him for the next game), but an Undertale character? That's where it loses me completely.

I'm not a hater, but let's be real: Sans is a Goku or Shrek-tier meme pick. The mechanics of Undertale are completely incompatible with the mechanics of Smash (how on God's green earth are they going to make the "Only 1 HP but super hard to hit" thing work?!). And I don't see a character from a tiny zero-budget Western indie RPG getting into a pass with Joker, Hero, and Banjo-Kazooie. I mean, maybe I'll eat my words, Smash is crazy and there are basically no rules, but this is not a bet I'd take.

As for Waluigi himself, as a character... eh, I'm not crazy about him, but like I said in the Banjo social thread, Ultimate has already spoiled me crazy hard with King K. Rool and Banjo, so I'm not going to sit here hoping that other people don't get the characters they want. So, sure, put me down as a supporter.
I Will take your bregudging support and I will use it to further the cause! Thank you kind sir

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Really? People took that Waluigi Miiverse post as an attack against Waluigi? Personally, I never saw it like that. Fans can get so passionate over a fictional character that I understand why Sakurai needed to elaborate that he wasn't playable. Then he threw in the Just because you try hard, doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle, which I saw as a consolation prize but Sakurai's such a troll I understand how it can be easily misinterpreted.
Even if Sakurai hates Waluigi, he didn't pick the DLC. So I'd say Waluigi has a fair shot. Not a likely shot, but a fair shot.

Anyhow, Waluigi's my most wanted character and I'd love to see him in. The Mario spin~offs are profitable enough to warrant their own character and Waluigi represents the chicanery and wackiness of these games so well.
Some have posited the idea of a "fourth~wall~breaking" moveset. I'd rather have him be a coward that fights dirty, having a move that steals the charge of a Smash Attack, or summoning Bob~ombs as Pikmin~like allies! Stuff like that would reflect his character best I think.
I have heard people say that Sakurai hates Waluigi and whatnot, but I don't see it as that like you said. Maybe he doesn't have much interest in Waluigi?
The person says specifically that some people have said to them that Sans is not the Undertale rep, but it's not 100% certain. If anything, they imply Frisk is the most likely one for the Undertale rep

And why would Sans kill it? I don't really see a reason he couldn't get it. I mean we have a Microsoft character and other "rule breaking" or "game breaking" characters in the game already, why wouldn't Sans be eligible?
Even though they are legally under Microsoft, I still don't call Banjo & Kazooie Microsoft or third party characters. To me, they will always be icons of the N64 era and part of the Nintendo family that now have that icon status cemented forever.

Back to the WAH. As far as this Paragon leak goes, I'm not putting any stake towards it. Keep on eye on it and see how it turns out. If any insider has info on Waluigi being playable, especially Shinobi, then I'll believe that. Put me on that support list Will Will

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
this thing is getting a little traction, which is nice. should probably get a better pun for that thread title though :073:

I have heard people say that Sakurai hates Waluigi and whatnot, but I don't see it as that like you said. Maybe he doesn't have much interest in Waluigi?
Could be a situation similar to K. Rool where they're just oblivious to how much people wanted the character. I don't think it's a moveset situation, he obviously got an idea with the Assist Trophy: Mario Sports.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Three reasons (they apply to any Undertale character, not just Sans)

1: none of them has any movesets potential
2: having a character from Undertale in Smash goes against the whole message of the game
3: spoilers. Toby Fox hates spoilers

(Disclaimer: I love Undertale, this is not me hating, I just think it's virtually impossible that it gets a character in Smash)
1. So did Villager, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B, just about any of the most oddball characters have no moveset potential. At least the Undertale character actually have canon attacks they use in their game so there's already a base there.

2. While the pacifist run is probably the main focus of the game yes, the neutral and Genocide runs exist for a reason, for those who want to play the game as a regular rpg and face the consequences for their actions. And really it's only pacifist run Frisk that's a true Pacisfist as everyone else literally attacks you without provocation. Heck even pacifist Frisk has to fight when they face Asgore.

3. If it's regarding Sans, even if Toby hates spoiling it, everyone and their mom knows and out the Sans thing and megalomania alone, heck hum the first like 2 seconds of megalovania out-loud somewhere and there will be plenty of people who will instantly recognize it.

I think at this point Sakurai and his team can get really anyone to work.

Okay this i have a problem with. Sans is NOT a "Goku or Shrek" character. People legit want him, he's extremely popular in polls (specially in Japan as i mentioned in my earlier post) and He's a video game character and i'd say nowadays a pretty recognizable and popular one at that.

People also seem to really be doubting just how big Undertale really is.
This is how the game released when it came to switch, and this specifically was in Japan on shelves, most western retailers only having online. It came with a bluray of the soundtrack, sheet music, story book, and a gold plated music locket. And like i said, this came out in mass in japan for the switch release. It was a pretty big thing.
And as i mentioned before, things like Megalovania have just become so recognizable that you can play the first few seconds of the song and people will instantly recognize it.

Whether it's Sans or Frisk or Papyrus or whoever is the speculated Undertale character from the leak, they have reason to be in smash, and not just cause "memes" I'd figure as Waluigi fans we'd be past dismissing characters, specially legit ones, as just "memes" and crap.

Personally i think the likely hood of the paragon leak is possible, but some more info needs to come out before we can fully dismiss or accept it. But let's not make this an "this leak is fake cause i don't think Undertale is possible/i don't like sans" kinda thing it's pretty stupid. I didn't like Inciniroar but look what we got (personally wanted Primarina cause they're my favorite pokemon of gen 7 and i think a seal character would be interesting). Even if i didn't like the character, i didn't dismiss vergeben cause i didn't want/like inciniroar. It's not fair to other fans and it ain't really encouraging discussion and speculation to dismiss things cause they feature stuff we don't like. I dunno, that's my piece on that.

Either way, i hope the leak is true, won't hold my breath unless now info comes out, but i have my fingers crossed.

I am interested in the whole "Waluigi is the main villain of Luigi's Mansion 3" things gong on though, what's people's thought's on that?

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Well, there was something leaked on papagenos papagenos discord about Waluigi and someone else. He explained the leak in his recent video. I don't know if he's that active though here. I haven't really seen him here. I hope it's true, but I don't wanna get my hopes up.
I'm not as active as I used to be here, but I am around!

it was "an undertale rep" and Waluigi as the final two DLC fighter pass characters, this was coming from a former mod on my discord channel named "paragon". They claimed to have a source related to amiibos and they correctly predicted that the dragon quest 11 protagonist and banjo kazooie would be part of the DLC before E3.

paraleak-1.png this was the image they made before E3, at first they thought the DQ11 protagonist would be shown at the smash invitational tournament a few days before E3.

However, some rather sketchy stuff happened after E3 that cause me to doubt the validity of the whole thing. I dont want to explain it all again but it involved some mysterious person using an "alt account" and showing several people on my discord an image of a supposed DM conversation between them and paragon that suggested paragon knew the entire E3 nintendo direct before it happened (though paragon never told anyone who could back up this claim), paragon also claimed to have been sent a cease and desist from nintendo despite that being a very rare thing and never showed anyone any proof that the cease and desist actually existed, and eventually me and some other people on discord figured out that the DM conversation that showed paragon "knowing" information about the E3 nintendo direct early was extremely unlikely to be real... after we made our findings public, paragon stepped down as a mod for my discord and left.

So essentially the original part of the supposed "leak" seemed fairly plausible, but now the validity of the whole thing is called into question due to the very sketchy circumstances of the newer events surrounding this one. Personally at this point I'm highly doubtful of the entire thing... but for the record I think Waluigi would be an awesome final surprise DLC character if it happened.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would really apreciate if waluigi is one of the last dlc that would be one hell of a surprise but i don't think that's true. If it is good for undertale fan and we will finally be victorious to have our favorite plumber in the game as a playable character but i will stick to dante who means more to me and have better chance but i really hope waluigi is in the fighter pass

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

it was "an undertale rep" and Waluigi as the final two DLC fighter pass characters, this was coming from a former mod on my discord channel named "paragon". They claimed to have a source related to amiibos and they correctly predicted that the dragon quest 11 protagonist and banjo kazooie would be part of the DLC before E3.

View attachment 229044 this was the image they made before E3, at first they thought the DQ11 protagonist would be shown at the smash invitational tournament a few days before E3.

However, some rather sketchy stuff happened after E3 that cause me to doubt the validity of the whole thing. I dont want to explain it all again but it involved some mysterious person using an "alt account" and showing several people on my discord an image of a supposed DM conversation between them and paragon that suggested paragon knew the entire E3 nintendo direct before it happened (though paragon never told anyone who could back up this claim), paragon also claimed to have been sent a cease and desist from nintendo despite that being a very rare thing and never showed anyone any proof that the cease and desist actually existed, and eventually me and some other people on discord figured out that the DM conversation that showed paragon "knowing" information about the E3 nintendo direct early was extremely unlikely to be real... after we made our findings public, paragon stepped down as a mod for my discord and left.

So essentially the original part of the supposed "leak" seemed fairly plausible, but now the validity of the whole thing is called into question due to the very sketchy circumstances of the newer events surrounding this one. Personally at this point I'm highly doubtful of the entire thing... but for the record I think Waluigi would be an awesome final surprise DLC character if it happened.
I still think there's more to the paragon leak than we know as of now, but with paragon disappearing and your video on it it's got me really confused about the whole thing. The alt account thing especially, makes me wonder if paragon was the alt account in disguise, though maybe if this leak is real, they did that to be able to leak the info without begin caught thanks to their supposed C&D? Idk but the whole thing stinks like last weeks tuna salad.

Honestly with the more time that passes and the more time this leak sits here, I'm just kinda confused by the leak in general. Personally it still seem to hold some water to me, but at the same time your video did bring up some points that definitely have hurt it. But i did also think about something, i remember back during speculation on the grinch leak before it was confirmed fake, you mentioned in a video how you speculated that sakurai may have met with microsoft executives about discussing banjo and kazooie, and thinking now with banjo and kazooie added into the roster as dlc, maybe that did happen? it makes me wonder, regarding the possibility of waluigi, if something similar happened, with nintendo heads/big members attending e3 meeting with sakurai informing him of the masssive backlash that came with waluigi being revealed as an assist, if waluigi were to be the final dlc character, maybe the timeline for those events would match up?

Also something I forgot to add that my girlfriend brought up to me, if we consider that paragon is being honest about the C&D, which btw I do find sketchy too but still, I'd imagine in that scenario, they could have been tracked down by their source ratting them out or being caught and having whoever they where contacting found out, maybe that's also what happened to Sabi (heck maybe it was the same person both Sabi and paragon were talking to, hence why paragon got a c&d shortly after Sabi). It may be unlikely, but it's possible that was how Paragon was found out despite being pretty underground as leakers go. Should stress, this is just me theorizing, the C&D part has been fishy since the start even to me.

Paragon leaving your discord has me wondering the whole thing specifically, if this was a fabrication i don't know why they wouldn't have just come clean before leaving, this isn't exactly helping them by continuing acting like it's real if it's fake. I feel if someone was faking this kind for leak for attention, they'd come clean by now that there's a leak manhunt going on for them and they didn't want this info out publicly. Keeping it going by jsut up and leaving is a weird move.

And yeah, regardless of this leak I'm holding hope Waluigi is the final character, maybe as a way to advertise a new DLC fighter pass 2 that features mostly Assist trophy characters that get upgraded, probably small ones/easy to make ones that can tie us in till the next smash game or something. If not that, just to be the new BIG Hype character to christen in 2020 with, which would make sense considering it's waluigi's 20th anniversary that year. If Waluigi isn't in the dlc, well, at least eh seems like a lock for the next smash.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say a lock since sakurai doesn't seems to want waluigi in smash if he's not in the dlc after the waluigi drama then he probably never be in smash unless it's not sakurai who's making it but i reaally hope waluigi is one of the two dlcs or dante or both that would be the dream

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I wouldn't say a lock since sakurai doesn't seems to want waluigi in smash if he's not in the dlc after the waluigi drama then he probably never be in smash unless it's not sakurai who's making it but i reaally hope waluigi is one of the two dlcs or dante or both that would be the dream
Eh, i feel even if sakurai doesn't want him, nintendo is gonna push for Waluigi, whether it's cause of what's happened now during this game or cause Waluigi get's more roles in future games and releases. Not to mention, although he has teased waluigi and waluigi fans a lot (the plushy during the e3 smash 4 direct, the taunting miiverse post, etc), he's never said anything about waluigi actually. like, ever i think. strange cause you'd think someone would have asked him about the whole waluigi issue by now, a full year after the e3 reveal.
either way, i'm still confident that if he really isn't dlc for this game, he's gonna at least be in the next.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Well maybe,but if he arrive in the next game that wouldn't have the same impact since it'll probably be a reboot and how many years will we have to wait for this ?I mean i'm usually not that impatient but we're waiting for waluigi for ages now it would be better if he's one of the dlc (or having another character that i love to make the wait more bearable )

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Well maybe,but if he arrive in the next game that wouldn't have the same impact since it'll probably be a reboot and how many years will we have to wait for this ?I mean i'm usually not that impatient but we're waiting for waluigi for ages now it would be better if he's one of the dlc (or having another character that i love to make the wait more bearable )
That's fair enough, and yeah, I'd rather have him now that much, much later.

I'm honestly hoping for the next smash they just port all the characters from Ultimate and other stuff like WOL and other stuff and just build up from there. IDK if that'd be easier but I think it probably would be, that way it doesn't feel like a step down for the next game, and the stuff and characters they add will feel like it's being added to an already jam-packed game so it feels more satisfying.

Btw when I say port WOL I really just mean the base, I think the mode could use some tweeks and fix ups, I think it should take stuff from subspace emissary more, just to make it perfect (more bosses, some excusive story mode stages and some platforming, cutscenes that have a sort of story to them, etc).

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I thinks because of the third party it would be difficult because they will have to ask the copyright for each character and that's a lot of difficulties especially in regard of square enix

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I thinks because of the third party it would be difficult because they will have to ask the copyright for each character and that's a lot of difficulties especially in regard of square enix
Square isn't as stingy as people make them out to be. The only "evidence" people have for them being stingy is the lack of FF7 music and spirits in Smash Ultimate, but the music rights and the licensing for the art is all screwed up. Several different companies and people own FF7's soundtrack and Tetsuya Nomura owns the artwork for FF7. Considering that Square was working on getting all the music back and remade for the FF7 remake and how Nomura was very busy working on Kingdom Hearts 3, it is very likely that they couldn't get the art and music because Square and Nomura were too busy with their other projects.

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 229044 this was the image they made before E3, at first they thought the DQ11 protagonist would be shown at the smash invitational tournament a few days before E3.

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that this is similar to the LOZ person. Knew some things and made up the others. Waluigi does feel like the strangest choice. However, at the same time, maybe Nintendo listen to the outcry. I think the only thing left is to wait a few months and see who is announced as #4. Edrick (Hero) has been talked about for months and Banjo has been hyped and guess. DLC #4 & #5 I have heard nothing about.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Square isn't as stingy as people make them out to be. The only "evidence" people have for them being stingy is the lack of FF7 music and spirits in Smash Ultimate, but the music rights and the licensing for the art is all screwed up. Several different companies and people own FF7's soundtrack and Tetsuya Nomura owns the artwork for FF7. Considering that Square was working on getting all the music back and remade for the FF7 remake and how Nomura was very busy working on Kingdom Hearts 3, it is very likely that they couldn't get the art and music because Square and Nomura were too busy with their other projects.
I see... But still with all the companies who have copyright for their character it would be difficult to have a simple port of the game with more content I would love to but that seems unlikely

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think Sakurai hates Waluigi, rather he either doesn't take him seriously or he can't figure him out as a fighter. If it's the former we're cool, fan demand will trump that and Piranha Plant shows that Sakurai will make fighters out of non-serious characters. If it's the latter we're in Ridley's position, so it may take a while but we'll get there if we stay strong.

Also I'd much rather get base roster than DLC, more presence in the game if you're base roster.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Well maybe Sakurai doesn't hate him but it's been a while since waluigi fans beg for him to be a playable character and it didn't happen so I'm a little skeptical about it now and even for the next game

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well maybe Sakurai doesn't hate him but it's been a while since waluigi fans beg for him to be a playable character and it didn't happen so I'm a little skeptical about it now and even for the next game
Hey, nobody said this was a short-term play. It's definitely taken way longer than it should have for a character of Waluigi's status, but the more characters added the less characters that stand in Waluigi's way. It has to come down to him eventually, the dude's all pros and no cons.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you're right but I don't think it's possible my hopes were crushed since brawl I just don't want to hype myself for nothing again

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm pretty sure Waluigi is a shoe-in for Smash 6. Fans of other characters have abused Sakurai before (besides, from what I've heard, the extent of Waluigi fans' abuse toward Sakurai has been overstated by Waluigi haters) and he still put their characters in Smash, namely King K. Rool and Ridley.

I fully expect Waluigi, Dixie Kong, and maybe Waddle Dee to be base roster characters in Smash 6.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I am interested in the whole "Waluigi is the main villain of Luigi's Mansion 3" things gong on though, what's people's thought's on that?
I just can't see it happening.

Even if Waluigi does make a surprise appearence, which in of itself would be pretty impressive, I just can't see him usurping King Boo as the main villain of a Luigi's Mansion game since...well, ghosts.

Plus I'm fairly sure every Luigi's Mansion game that's come out we've had a rumour that Waluigi was going to be the final villain, even the very first one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Plus I'm fairly sure every Luigi's Mansion game that's come out we've had a rumour that Waluigi was going to be the final villain, even the very first one.
What? Waluigi was still a Tennis guy back in his conception from an entire year before Luigi's Mansion released. You telling me 2001 had crackpot theories like this?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
What? Waluigi was still a Tennis guy back in his conception from an entire year before Luigi's Mansion released. You telling me 2001 had crackpot theories like this?
Yeah. Heck, I read that one in Nintendo Official Magazine, a British gaming magazine.

Doubt I still have it but seeing it in print at the time excited me as I was one of the few Mario fans who liked Waluigi from the get go it seemed.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi would probably not be the final boss but a kind of rival where he come mess things up and leave. Then you will have a final fight against him to make sure he doesn't continue to mess with you then you can continue the game without him. That would be awesome

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
If smash 6 is a thing, he'll be one of the first characters to be revealed, calling it right now.

For Ultimate though ? Nah, i don't think our purple boy is gonna make it.

Nevertheless, i support !

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I hope too it would be so unfair to not having the character simply because idiots have done that.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I highly doubt Sakurai took the death threats seriously. Hell, I highly doubt the trolls that sent the threats really meant him any harm, not that it wasn't a phenomenally awful thing to do.

Also, what if Waluigi is the final boss... of Smash 6? He pulls a Scrappy-Doo and tries to destroy the Smash gang for never inviting him to their get-togethers. And when you beat him, he becomes playable.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
planet cool that would be hilarious or the trailer can be him breaking his assist trophy and attack everyone .

Top Bottom