• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You say seem and that makes me not believe you

it either was or it wasnt, game theories do nothing
I’m saying seem since it isn’t set in stone. It could be a complete coincidence, but it does seem to bare a resemblance. I’m not trying to make you believe it is one way or it isn’t.

Also it’s not really a theory. Just an analysis of the moveset and their similarities. You’re kinda coming off as like you didn’t even watch what I was even referring to.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m saying seem since it isn’t set in stone. It could be a complete coincidence, but it does seem to bare a resemblance. I’m not trying to make you believe it is one way or it isn’t.

Also it’s not really a theory. Just an analysis of the moveset and their similarities. You’re kinda coming off as like you didn’t even watch what I was even referring to.
Of course I didn't watch it, I don't want to watch Alax. :nifty: I don't like Alax.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's fair. It can be annoying.

Still, if your going to call it a theory at least watch the video to know if it is a theory or not.
Actually I just checked the release date and it was before the channel went to garbage so now I know actually did watch it I just don't remember it. Still not touching him for the rest of my life though.

The only thing I take as canon for character creation is Sakurai's actual words from his yapper put on paper. Or a screen. Either/or. :240:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
You think their called main games because it has any continuity outside of the most basic plot of plumber saves princess from the big bad monster?

Says who? You might aswell say the same thing to every thread that wants their favorite character in smash. Also point me in the direction the one time Piranha Plant got a role as important as Mario or Peach.

Stop lying, you chase down youtube comment sections to harass others for wanting Waluigi in smash. You aint slick. Also its hilarious how you wannna make the piss poor argument of "Waluigi has too much spotlight so he shouldnt get any" when that couldnt be further from the truth. Hes the only one of the main Mario characters thats stuck as an assist trophy, a random run of the mill enemy got in over Waluigi and you want to make that argument that he gets too much spotlight? LMAO
Only in this case, the biggest problem against Waluigi, as well as plant piranha and other Mario potential candidates is the overrapresentation of Mario franchise. It is clealry different from other unpresented franchises or franchises with relatively less representation at this point.

I think mainly because Smash 5 is an everyone-is-here edition. Previous Smash titles have brought alot of Mario series content, which leads to the saturation of Mario series in Smash 5. If Smash 6 potentially reboots the whole content and dedicates to the Mario content we haven't seen in past Smash games before, I think this would be a more likely chance for Waluigi.

I don't remember I ever said Waluigi shouldn't get more spotlights in Mario games or be against the idea NIntendo can promote him in this thread or in other places. To me it's rather like NIntendo really owe him things, I don't see why my point has to be questioned.

> the only one of the main Mario characters thats stuck as an assist trophy

I think the main problem about the assist is we're not getting a new Mario assist for this round. It's honestly a waste for some secondary characters that won't make it to the main fighter roster.
I'm not too sure about the necessity of keeping Waluigi as an assist tbh, if just like you say, Waluigi fans actually don't like to see this. Do NIntendo really think this can please his fans or Waluigi is a very unique choice for assist?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Only in this case, the biggest problem against Waluigi, as well as plant piranha and other Mario potential candidates is the overrapresentation of Mario franchise at this point. It is clealry different from other unpresented franchises or franchises with relatively less representation at this point.

I think mainly because Smash 5 is an everyone-is-here edition. Previous Smash titles have brought alot of Mario series content, which leads to the saturation of Mario series in Smash 5. If Smash 6 potentially reboots the whole content and dedicates to the Mario content we haven't seen in past Smash games before, I think this would be a more likely chance for Waluigi.

I don't remember I ever said Waluigi shouldn't get more spotlights in Mario games or be against the idea NIntendo can promote him in this thread or in other places. To me it's rather like NIntendo really owe him things, I don't see why my point has to be questioned.

> the only one of the main Mario characters thats stuck as an assist trophy

I think the main problem about the assist is we're not getting a new Mario assist for this round. It's honestly a waste for some secondary characters that won't make it to the main fighter roster.
I'm not too sure about the necessity of keeping Waluigi as an assist tbh, if just like you say, Waluigi fans actually don't like to see this. Do NIntendo really think this can please his fans or Waluigi is a very unique choice for assist?
You're right that the Mario series is oversaturated, but then again Waluigi is so demanded that if they want to add him they'll do so without any regard for how many reps Mario has. I can't imagine many will complain.

For the next Smash game, when the useless characters are cut? Waluigi is even better off.

D

Deleted member

Only in this case, the biggest problem against Waluigi, as well as plant piranha and other Mario potential candidates is the overrapresentation of Mario franchise. It is clealry different from other unpresented franchises or franchises with relatively less representation at this point.

I think mainly because Smash 5 is an everyone-is-here edition. Previous Smash titles have brought alot of Mario series content, which leads to the saturation of Mario series in Smash 5.
You said absolutely nothing about oversaturation.

Then explain this.
As a fan I don't think Waluigi shouldn't get better treat in Mario games, and I don't like the thought of Waluigi doesn't need more spotlightst than what he has now.
I think the main problem about the assist is we're not getting a new Mario assist for this round.
Nobody cares about which assist trophies are gonna be cut in favor of them getting promoted to fighters.

MrUndy

Smash Cadet
Hi there! I would love to see Waluigi as a playable character in Smash Ultimate. Smash games never followed up for logic. If he will be a fighter and assistant at the same time that won't be bad since devs probably didn't spend too much time on making him an AT again.

Add me as a supporter!

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Here's a challenge for y'all. Consider it a Smash Bros. thought experiment:

Make a moveset for Waluigi without incorporating any sports equipment. No bat, no racket, no kart, no nothing. Can Waluigi be true to his character in Smash without relying in basic spin-off stuff that every other Mario character uses?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can Waluigi be true to his character in Smash without relying in basic spin-off stuff that every other Mario character uses?
1563236523063.png

You just made the biggest mistake of your life you're probably right im very lazy rn

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Hi there! I would love to see Waluigi as a playable character in Smash Ultimate. Smash games never followed up for logic. If he will be a fighter and assistant at the same time that won't be bad since devs probably didn't spend too much time on making him an AT again.
Put Waluigi supports aside, it is less a creative surprise or new logic but more a problem for Nintendo to not avoid using future fighters in NPCs, which leads to several issues as stated. As Smash fans it's more a thing for us to criticize if it happens.

I personally doubt the "upgrading" theory works. Mainly because, postiviely, maybe Nintendo could had introduced more fighters based on past NPCs but not just one or two.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Here's a challenge for y'all. Consider it a Smash Bros. thought experiment:

Make a moveset for Waluigi without incorporating any sports equipment. No bat, no racket, no kart, no nothing. Can Waluigi be true to his character in Smash without relying in basic spin-off stuff that every other Mario character uses?
I think he definitely can. Sakurai's older movesets relied more on the character's personality than what they actually do in their games (Captain Falcon, Wario, Rosalina).

Put Waluigi supports aside, it is less a creative surprise or new logic but more a problem for Nintendo to not avoid using future fighters in NPCs, which leads to several issues as stated. As Smash fans it's more a thing for us to criticize if it happens.

I personally doubt the "upgrading" theory works. At least I don't think they would made Waluigi for assist three times if that is a common technique.
I'm sorry, I don't get what the problem you're talking about would be.

MrUndy

Smash Cadet

I personally doubt the "upgrading" theory works. Mainly because, postiviely, maybe Nintendo could had introduced more fighters based on past NPCs but not just one or two.
I think Waluigi's inclusion will more of exception than a problem.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I think Waluigi's inclusion will more of exception than a problem.
That's one of the problems, tho.

If you assume that Waluigi is gonna be the only character both NPC and new fighter in the full Smash 5 fighter roster, that would unsurprisingly lead to backlash from supports of other NPCs. Like said, if Nintendo predicted, they could had put Waluigi in the base roster to prevent that embarrasing situation. They already did so with Isabelle.

And adding the upgrading theory, I don't see why NIntendo can only uparde one character if they're able to do multiple fighters based from past NPCs, so that it wouldn't make the only upgraded character exceptional.

Just at this point we've not seen exception happend, any other NPC could fit in this case and so their chance is still equal.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think if we get waluigi it should come in a fighters pass 2 where the point will be to put assists playable characters . The pass wouldn't be surprising since we'll get all the popular demand (Waluigi Isaac Ashley Skull Kid and idk Krystal maybe) but damn would it be satisfying for many people.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I will say that I don't think Waluigi will be in the fighter pass. As for a second fighter pass, it would depend on whether they were willing to reconsider Assist Trophies.

But assuming the next Smash isn't a total reboot, I think he'll be the first newcomer.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I will say that I don't think Waluigi will be in the fighter pass. As for a second fighter pass, it would depend on whether they were willing to reconsider Assist Trophies.

But assuming the next Smash isn't a total reboot, I think he'll be the first newcomer.
I don't get where the idea of a reboot came from. Fighting games change the roster every game but they never change their mechanics/formula. The next Smash game might have some cuts but they're not revamping the entire series.

As for Waluigi, I expect him to be one of the first newcomers to be revealed for the next Smash game. There aren't that many Nintendo characters that are as hype/popular as him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't get where the idea of a reboot came from. Fighting games change the roster every game but they never change their mechanics/formula. The next Smash game might have some cuts but they're not revamping the entire series.

As for Waluigi, I expect him to be one of the first newcomers to be revealed for the next Smash game. There aren't that many Nintendo characters that are as hype/popular as him.
The whole reboot idea is a mix of how no-one is sure of how to top Ultimate and that the Smash 64 cast is in need of a redo.
If Mario was added today, he'd probably have some more power-ups in his moveset for example.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai's older movesets relied more on the character's personality than what they actually do in their games (Captain Falcon, Wario, Rosalina).
No, good examples of movesets reflecting the characters personality are Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Sheik and Donkey Kong ( and to an lesset extend Luigi, Peach and Bowser to name a few )

Rosalina and especially Wario are butchered. Rosalina would never use her children in battle and "Wario"ware has no business eclipsing Wario Land.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No, good examples of movesets reflecting the characters personality are Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Sheik and Donkey Kong ( and to an lesset extend Luigi, Peach and Bowser to name a few )

Rosalina and especially Wario are butchered. Rosalina would never use her children in battle and "Wario"ware has no business eclipsing Wario Land.
giphy (2).gif

The point stands that it's possible to make a moveset for Waluigi based not on sports stuff but on his personality.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No, good examples of movesets reflecting the characters personality are Captain Falcon
Captain Falcon didnt even have a personality until post-Melee, and even then it's split between three different people within a span of 3 or so years that F-Zero continued to even have games. He is to this day just taking assets from Dragon King.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whatever he had in that comic is not reflected in Smash 64 or Melee, he is still a Dragon King asset collection pushed with fire moves, something that Smash Bros. literally made up. If anything, it's Smash that defined Falcon, not the other way around.

That comic doesn't even do much than establish some characters and what their gist is. And in the last two games and the anime with a whole new continuity, they ditch the premise and replace Falcon from bounty hunter to ex-cop.

D

Deleted member

Whatever he had in that comic is not reflected in Smash 64 or Melee, he is still a Dragon King asset collection pushed with fire moves, something that Smash Bros. literally made up. If anything, it's Smash that defined Falcon, not the other way around.

That comic doesn't even do much than establish some characters and what their gist is. And in the last two games and the anime with a whole new continuity, they ditch the premise and replace Falcon from bounty hunter to ex-cop.
Buddy you made the argument that Captain Falcon didnt have a personality to have a moveset based on. What are you on about?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It's old topic, tho, like said Nintendo's attitude to Waluigi, one of the most popular Mario main character, has been very questionable.

Reboot may consider the whole base roster and inital reps from major franchises all over again, unlike the ultimate roster which has to put every old rep. In the latter you can only see Rosalina over Waluigi again while in the former it has a chance to be reverse. That's why cuts are needed after all.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think he definitely can. Sakurai's older movesets relied more on the character's personality than what they actually do in their games
I'd prefer that, actually. I'm not really into prop-heavy movesets. I don't want Waluigi to be the Carrot Top of Smash Bros.

Yeah, tons of people are assuming that the next game will cut the roster down to twenty or thirty characters, and I think that's completely unreasonable. I guesstimate about fifteen cuts, if that, and most of them will be echoes and redundant semi-clones like Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Roy.

Donkey Kong is a terrible example of a moveset that reflects the character well. Nobody talks about this, but he's at least as bad as Wario. Consider that he can't even throw a barrel (which is the iconic Donkey Kong thing), nor use a Barrel Cannon. He didn't have his classic roll attack until Smash 4. Heck, his ground pound, one of the only two attacks that actually come from his games, doesn't even get the rhythm right. It's ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, not BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM! No, I am not nitpicking!

DK's my favorite Nintendo character, but I rarely play him because he was done so dirty.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Buddy you made the argument that Captain Falcon didnt have a personality to have a moveset based on. What are you on about?
Yeah and I was wrong about that part, but right about everything else. His personality isn't somehow oozed into the moveset, they just gave him assets from scrapped development. If anything, what Falcon is now is because of Smash. Waluigi's personality being made into a moveset would be something like cheating or just doing a Michael Jackson routine.

But agree to disagree, everyone has their ideas on how a person's moveset should be made. Whether it be considered generic to some or just diehard references from every move to another, it's not easy just simply plopping a moveset. It takes at least a few hours to conceptualize. Maybe if I have free time in the future I'll make my own take on it.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
There's one reference I'd appreciate, though: Thorny Waluigi from Super Mario Strikers should definitely be his Final Smash.

It's too bad Psycho Waluigi isn't canon, but it'd be cool to incorporate Psycho Iris. Maybe Waluigi can have non-specific psychic grabs and throws.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I'm abit curious how much effect Dr Mario World can bring for Waluigi. We know Dr Mario is the first spinoff title that gives an entire fighter slot in Smash bros. But I doubt we can really see Dr Waluigi replaces Dr Mario in Smash 6 (even if that sounds interesting) considering Nintendo might not mean to feature him in Dr Mario World.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm abit curious how much effect Dr Mario World can bring for Waluigi. We know Dr Mario is the first spinoff title that gives an entire fighter slot in Smash bros. But I doubt we can really see Dr Waluigi replaces Dr Mario in Smash 6 (even if that sounds interesting) considering Nintendo might not mean to feature him in Dr Mario World.
I think Dr. Waluigi has been confirmed to appear in World through datamines.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I think Dr. Waluigi has been confirmed to appear in World through datamines.
I'm not sure if you misread the reply. I'm saying how big the chance is for Nintendo to push Dr Waluigi over Dr Mario so that he would be a fighter in Smash 6.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not sure if you misread the reply. I'm saying how big the chance is for Nintendo to push Dr Waluigi over Dr Mario so that he would be a fighter in Smash 6.
I don't think anyone would want that. Why would I want Dr. Waluigi over just Waluigi? It would make more sense as a costume.

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi's model in Dr. Mario World has been fully discovered.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone would want that. Why would I want Dr. Waluigi over just Waluigi? It would make more sense as a costume.
I agree that in a fan's point. My assumption was only based on the fact Nintendo acknowledge doctor's qualification as a whole. But that would not work in many other aspects in this case.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
There is a zero percent chance Nintendo/Sakurai would actually add Dr. Waluigi instead of regular Waluigi. It's a funny notion, but not one I'd ever take seriously.

Top Bottom