• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
With the smash reveal happening in October, I guess it does line up with the release of one of Waluigi's biggest games (specifically the first game where he was the main antagonist), which also happens to be a game they can pull a lot of music tracks for for a Waluigi stage:
View attachment 332491
Pair this with the fact that that Mario Tennis is a launch title for the online expansion (which also launches October) and all the other tidbits (recent tourney about assist trophies, Sakurai acknowledging the anniversary of Waluigi, the big influx of Waluigi licensed merch), does give a lot of hope for him pulling through as the final Smash character 🤞
I don't think DDR Mario Mix actually factors or is necessary to Waluigi's inclusion, it could be referenced with a Destruction Dance remix but that's about it imo.

What intrigues me is the last fighter reveal date, it's in October, and Luigi's Mansion 3 released on October and never got any Spirit events for Ultimate.

Why is this relevant?

Because Waluigi was added alongside King Boo and Luigi's Mansion content for Mario Kart Tour on October.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, two days left and then that's it, it's all over.

A lot of people are expecting something different for character 11, given that special focus was given to the fact it had 6 characters over 5 but what could that be? I know everyone on this thread will have their ideas.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I really wanna believe it's Waluigi and the whole thing for saving him as the 11th fighter pack was to do a very popular character that the majority of the fanbase has written of as "impossible" at this point, but ultimately there really is no real way to know (unless a major legit leak happens) until the presentation, and really it could be literally anyone.

Let's just hope it's Waluigi and it's as grand as we all imagine instead of having to wait years and years again Hoping Nintendo and the smash team finally acknowledge his popularity and make him a fighter (whenever the next game will be.... If ever)

But yeah

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Well, two days left and then that's it, it's all over.

A lot of people are expecting something different for character 11, given that special focus was given to the fact it had 6 characters over 5 but what could that be? I know everyone on this thread will have their ideas.
I'm certain it's none other than Waluigi.
I'll be shocked if he doesn't show up after Nintendo spent a year and a half pushing him to mainstream status just to mess with us.

And there's like all those things to Waluigi that still didn't pan out, like the info Papagenos talked about in the past that Nintendo was planning something for Waluigi which has to do with the complete shut down of Project M.

The Paragon leak which some might not take seriously actually predicted things that turned up real and said Waluigi was last.
Also that other leak (Rap Mario) too had Waluigi as last DLC.

The fact that things like Spirits for Luigi's Mansion 3 being absent even though games released after it like Paper Mario Origami King got Spirits, and btw just to be fair this has nothing to do with Waluigi other than his connection with Luigi as his rival in the Spin-offs, yet they're still not in Smash Ultimate for some reason.

And here's something that I've observed since way back when the game first came out.
In World of Light the Story mode for Smash Ultimate, Waluigi is completely absent, his Spirit Battle containing his Assist Trophy is nowhere to be found.
Now you may say that's not exclusive to him, and you'd be correct, but why exclude Waluigi when many obscure characters get to show their Spirit battles in World of Light?
Isn't Waluigi a prominent enough character to at least make an appearance in the Story mode of the game ?
Well personally I think it had to do with the backlash of E3 2018, let me explain.
Waluigi has other Spirit battles that have a purple Luigi or Wario in his place rather than his Assist Trophy, but the main Waluigi Ace Spirit could only be fought in the Spirit Board outside of World of Light.
I believe that Sakurai and the development team were contacted by Nintendo after the E3 2018 backlash, and then they swiftly removed his Spirit battle from Story mode on the off chance that they'll have to add him in the future, because I think it has to do with disabling his Assist Trophy, and that would ruin the smooth flow of getting 100% in World of Light if Waluigi was playable but his main Spirit battle was also featured.

I think they'll either make Waluigi temporarily unplayable just for this Spirit battle, or completely overhaul it, like if you were Waluigi then the Assist Trophy wouldn't show up, but a Mii wearing Waluigi's cap would.

That's how I think of it at least.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'll be shocked if he doesn't show up after Nintendo spent a year and a half pushing him to mainstream status just to mess with us.

And there's like all those things to Waluigi that still didn't pan out, like the info Papagenos talked about in the past that Nintendo was planning something for Waluigi which has to do with the complete shut down of Project M.

The Paragon leak which some might not take seriously actually predicted things that turned up real and said Waluigi was last.

The fact that things like Spirits for Luigi's Mansion 3 being absent even though games released after it like Paper Mario Origami King got Spirits, and btw just to be fair this has nothing to do with Waluigi other than his connection with Luigi as his rival in the Spin-offs, yet they're still not in Smash Ultimate for some reason.

And here's something that I've observed since way back when the game first came out.
In World of Light the Story mode for Smash Ultimate, Waluigi is completely absent, his Spirit Battle containing his Assist Trophy is nowhere to be found.
Now you may say that's not exclusive to him, and you'd be correct, but why exclude Waluigi when many obscure characters get to show their Spirit battles in World of Light?
Isn't Waluigi a prominent enough character to at least make an appearance in the Story mode of the game ?
Well personally I think it had to do with the backlash of E3 2018, let me explain.
Waluigi has other Spirit battles that have a purple Luigi or Wario in his place rather than his Assist Trophy, but the main Waluigi Ace Spirit could only be fought in the Spirit Board outside of World of Light.
I believe that Sakurai and the development team were contacted by Nintendo after the E3 2018 backlash, and then they swiftly removed his Spirit battle from Story mode on the off chance that they'll have to add him in the future, because I think it has to do with disabling his Assist Trophy, and that would ruin the smooth flow of getting 100% in World of Light if Waluigi was playable but his main Spirit battle was also featured.

I think they'll either make Waluigi temporarily unplayable just for this Spirit battle, or completely overhaul it, like if you were Waluigi then the Assist Trophy wouldn't show up, but a Mii wearing Waluigi's cap would.

I believe Min Min and Pyra's Spirits are in WoL.

PunkApe

Coolest Monkey in the Jungle

PapaGenos info? I don't believe I heard about that. Context?

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
PapaGenos info? I don't believe I heard about that. Context?
I can't find it, I think it was discussed in the Geno thread.

Basically Papagenos was in contact with someone who was legit as he said, and said something was coming for either Geno or Waluigi, and it was related to the termination of Project M.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Basically Papagenos was in contact with someone who was legit as he said, and said something was coming for either Geno or Waluigi, and it was related to the termination of Project M.
Neither Waluigi nor Geno were in Project M. I think you're thinking of Legacy XP.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna go over all of the info we’ve gathered that could point towards Waluigi be the final fighter.

-Reggie said Sakurai would be aware of the groundswell support that appeared for Waluigi.

-Paragon leak info stating Waluigi would be last, it got e3 info correct and undertale content correct (though only partially as he thought it was going to be a fighter, but the point still stands that he knew Undertale was coming to the game).

-Super smash bros legacy xp takedown happen early 2020 a few months after Byleth’s release. It’s possible it was taken down due to Nintendo wanting to sell a character as individual dlc.

-Mario sports trademark suddenly appeared months later in 2020. The trademark is currently unknown what it’s use is for.

-Sudden influx of merchandise for Waluigi appeared, including a Nintendo switch pro controller.

-Sakurai tweeting about the Mario tennis anniversary, he did tweet about Tekken’s anniversary and Xenoblade’s anniversary before the respective characters from those series were revealed. So it’s a possibility.

-Nintendo announced Nintendo 64 games for the Nintendo switch online service. This will launch with a few games from the library, including Mario tennis.

Only two days left! Man it’s gonna be nerve racking come Tuesday. I hope we get our boy! 🙏

Last edited:

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Okay but

I Honestly and Genuinely do believe we may ACTUALLY get Waluigi here.

They’ve been aware of the Outcry and Demand for the Character since 2018 Before Piranha Plant and Before Either of these Fighter Passes kicked off..Nintendo CLEARLY knows Just How Popular Waluigi is Considering the Polls they Create..most of the time if not ALL the time He wins them and They even used Him for Clickbait recently in a “Guess that Game” Video. They kept shoving Him into Promotional Material (Commercials etc.) for Mario Golf Super Rush and he was even NAME DROPPED in a Television Commercial for Super Rush. Wario and Waluigi are even by the “Buy Now” Button on The Game’s Website!

There’s also the Fact of Mario Party Superstars coming This Month and that whole “This Game may contain Product Placement and Advertising” Thing (That apparently is only on the Eshop Page in Europe I guess?) and That Game only has ONE Board for Mario Party 3 while The Other N64 Mario Parties (1 and 2) have gotten Two Boards each. The Final one could Easily be Waluigi’s Island since that was an Unlockable board in MP3.

and Ofc Smash stuff like Sakurai Posting about Mario Tennis’s Anniversary and Waluigi,That Pinball Pandemonium Tournament Event that happened 7 Days after posting the Mario Tennis Tweet..And The Super Rush Spirit event that Did NOT include a Golfer Waluigi Spirit.

But what REALLY takes the cake for me is that Nintendo Actually Put Mario Tennis on The Nintendo 64 NSO Service as a Starting Title Basically at Launch. And THAT will come Late this month as well just like Party Superstars.

So He can REALLY Promote all of that by being in Smash as the Last Fighter and Make TONS of people happy by having Him included on the Roster. And If Smash Fans REALLY wanna be Sour Pusses about Two Waluigis being on stage (Despite having the Ability to play as 8 Copies of Mario,Captain Falcon,Steve,Sans,Banjo or Min Min) They can just add a bit of extra coding to Disable His Assist Trophy If the Item is turned on.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman

I actually have screenshots of this from the geno thread cause I was sharing this info with someone on Twitter.
621063A5-5AD3-4932-9697-CB75974AB854.jpeg
641A7718-671D-4C1D-B64B-B8F38B5B64C5.jpeg
1025B5A5-75DE-46B0-8A3E-BFDB9DF128F8.jpeg
20440076-993E-4D08-AA65-5BFA86F9716C.jpeg

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
SOO…

The Smash Bros JP Twitter account is apparently wanting us to Let our Imagination Run Wild.

This is real Interesting given that they’ve NEVER said something like this before any of the OTHER Challenger Packs were eventually revealed.

This DOES give me the Feeling it’s something Big.

That something could easily be Waluigi. 😳😳

Attachments

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
“A character you don’t know”.

I hope this is a mistranslation, Waluigi is definitely well known.
Don't think too much about it, that's just typical google translate.

I think Sakurai is saying something along the lines of "a character you don't expect".

Let's wait and see.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
New Sakurai tweet!
View attachment 332975
View attachment 332976
It's the same thing he said before Byleth's reveal, makes me believe a 1st party character is coming. :waluigirose:
Tbh I ALWAYS Believed it would be a 1st Party after we got Kazuya as the Third 3rd Party Character.

This last Slot 100% could be saved for a Third and Final 1st Party Nintendo Character and that can really Balance out the Amount of 3rd Parties and 1st Parties equally.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
One day left before this 3 year damn mess of speculation, leaks and toxicity finally ends. People on twatter will finally discover that other games besides Super Smash Bros exist.

The way I see things for Waluigi is simple : Nintendo is definitely aware of his popularity for the past 3 years. And now, it's finally time to know if they want to acknowledge it or not: either he is announced tomorrow and that would be wonderful and it would show that Nintendo acknowledged Waluigi's popularity which would give hope for something like his own game or he's not announced and it would show that while they know how much of a fan-favorite he is, they just don't care about it and won't bother to do anything with him besides putting him in spin-offs and more spin-offs and well, I guess there won't be a point in asking for something important for him anymore.

I think everyone should keep their expectations very low because anything can happen at this point. Especially with Sakurai's comment on how the character might not be well known for some people. That's kind of worrying if you ask me.

Watch it be Porky Minch, King Boo or SMT V protagonist

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
One day left before this 3 year damn mess of speculation, leaks and toxicity finally ends. People on twatter will finally discover that other games besides Super Smash Bros exist.

The way I see things for Waluigi is simple : Nintendo is definitely aware of his popularity for the past 3 years. And now, it's finally time to know if they want to acknowledge it or not: either he is announced tomorrow and that would be wonderful and it would show that Nintendo acknowledged Waluigi's popularity which would give hope for something like his own game or he's not announced and it would show that while they know how much of a fan-favorite he is, they just don't care about it and won't bother to do anything with him besides putting him in spin-offs and more spin-offs and well, I guess there won't be a point in asking for something important for him anymore.

I think everyone should keep their expectations very low because anything can happen at this point. Especially with Sakurai's comment on how the character might not be well known for some people. That's kind of worrying if you ask me.

Watch it be Porky Minch, King Boo or SMT V protagonist
I know Nintendo can be tone deaf at times, but if Waluigi isn't the last fighter then I'm done with their ****.

You just don't go the last 3 years promising fans that you'll make sure to contact the director about Waluigi becoming playable in the game, and then go hype and start pushing this character to mainstream status only to give his fans jack ****.

They know the fans want Waluigi, they know he's insanely popular, and he happens to be one of their own.

IT'S FREE MONEY, NINTENDO!!

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Don't think too much about it, that's just typical google translate.

I think Sakurai is saying something along the lines of "a character you don't expect".

Let's wait and see.
I interpret it more so that he's encouraging people who weren't particularly invested in the character that ultimately made it in, or were supporting a different character, to enjoy themselves in spite of their most wanted missing out this time around. I think it's far less about the notoriety or fame of the character itself, whoever it may be.

If it really is Waluigi, then there will ultimately be people who weren't invested in his inclusion or even know much about him. And that's going to be true for any other character it could be.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I interpret it more so that he's encouraging people who weren't particularly invested in the character that ultimately made it in, or were supporting a different character, to enjoy themselves in spite of their most wanted missing out this time around. I think it's far less about the notoriety or fame of the character itself, whoever it may be.

If it really is Waluigi, then there will ultimately be people who weren't invested in his inclusion or even know much about him. And that's going to be true for any other character it could be.
The interesting thing about the tweet is that it was only written in japanese. Implying it’s directed towards a japanese audience. The english tweet basically just says to look forward to it.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Push Dustin who is known for translating Sakurai’s tweets says this.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
The interesting thing about the tweet is that it was only written in japanese. Implying it’s directed towards a japanese audience. The english tweet basically just says to look forward to it.
If it means anything, then I think it would make sense for Waluigi anyway. The reaction upon his AT being revealed was a western phenomenon and his demand is not nearly as large or prominent in Japan as it is in the West. Japanese fans absolutely know who he is, but polls have pointed to most, if not all, of them having other characters as their MWs, meaning that their expectations are different.

Waluigi is a Japanese character, yes. But while I don't think Japanese fans would be unhappy about a Mario character, his inclusion would cater far more to the game's Western audience.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
If it means anything, then I think it would make sense for Waluigi anyway. The reaction upon his AT being revealed was a western phenomenon and his demand is not nearly as large or prominent in Japan as it is in the West. Japanese fans absolutely know who he is, but polls have pointed to most, if not all, of them having other characters as their MWs, meaning that their expectations are different.

Waluigi is a Japanese character, yes. But while I don't think Japanese fans would be unhappy about a Mario character, his inclusion would cater far more to the game's Western audience.
This is exactly what I was thinking when trying to see how he fits into this situation.

Actually was Waluigi ever on japanese polls? He wasn’t a big deal to Japan for not being playable. But I wonder if he was ever voted on them.

Bandiheart

Smash Rookie
I'm not gonna act like Waluigi is my most wanted character [I don't know who'd that be at this point] but I'd definitely say I support his inclusion. At this point, it only feels right to include him. I'm rooting for you guys here!

Things actually look pretty good for him, and I really hope he does make it in, even if there are other characters I think I personally might like more.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, I can’t shake the feeling of doubt because of Sakurai’s tweets.

It sounds like it’s gonna be another niche character, like Terry. I might lower my expectations…

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Figured I'll just throw my last comment in the ring and roll the dice for good ol' Waluigi, my favourite Mario spin-off character.
While we might not have party tomorrow, we will at least have another party at the end of the month with our purple crook.

I just wanted to say good luck. If Waluigi were to happen tomorrow, that would be pretty dope, and if not, hopefully a shoe-inn for the next title. Who knows? I believe the outcry for Waluigi has prooven over the course of Smash that we love Waluigi as a character, and that his future might seem much brighter than it has ever been before.

PunkApe

Well, this is it. The final frontier.
This era of Smash Speculation’s been a fun ride, there’ve been downs, sure, but it’s all in good fun.
Like all of you, I hope its our boy in purple, but if its not, we can’t be too upset. Waluigi isn’t exactly a winner, after all.
Let’s stay hopeful, but not too hopeful. If he gets in, great! If not, see you all in like 5 years, lol

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
So finally the Ultimate speculation period will be coming to an end tomorrow morning. It's been quite a ride for sure. Getting three of my most wanted characters in K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie will always be something I cherish. While I'll keep my expectations low for the reveal, I always believe Waluigi would be a terrific last addition to cap the DLC and three year run of Ultimate.

That theory that both passes follow the same format:

1. First characters of each pass were 1st Party characters (Plant & Min-Min)
2. Second characters were unexpected 3rd party characters (Joker & Steve)
3. Third characters were RPG characters (Hero & Sephiroth)
4. Fourth characters were duos (Banjo & Kazooie, Prya & Mythra)
5. Fifth characters were fighting game characters (Terry & Kazuya)
6. Last character(s) were 1st party (Byleth & ?)

While it may not be concrete, it is worth noting. We know how controversial Byleth was in the fandom and Waluigi can certainly cause huge waves all across the fandom in Twitter and any other place. Here's to good fortunes tomorrow.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I’m definitely expecting this to be first party, whether it’s Waluigi or not I’m not sure. We’ve definitely found some solid speculation in his favor over the past year and especially the past 6 months. I guess here in a bit we will know!

side note, there have been a lot of people reading too much into the various tweets and the amount of effort that Nintendo/Sakurai have put into advertising this. I just want to say that I don’t think that that matters in the slightest, pretty sure they’re advertising it hard because another hyped game of the same genre (NASB) is also releasing today. They’re trying to keep the attention on smash.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
It stung a little extra hard that we even had the tag line right all along… “x is finally here!”. The chosen character is awesome and is a very worthy addition but I’m definitely a tad disappointed that we are not getting Waluigi :/ for the 3rd game in a row he will remain in assist trophy hell. I don’t mean to sound entitled but jeez when will I get a turn to have my favorite character in one of these games lol. I really wanted him specifically in Ultimate along with the 80 something other big name characters, but oh well. Maybe in a different timeline.

edit- smash is still my favorite game and I appreciate Sakurai and all the work he’s done. I just wanted to further clarify that I’m not upset with the character(s) he has chosen. I just want Waluigi to make it into a single smash game someday, lol. Maybe base game of the next game here in like 5 years…

Last edited:

PunkApe

I may be delusional right now but you remember that one weird webpage under the Smash DLC section of Nintendo's website?

Since 8972 is Sora, maybe 8973 is Waluigi? I dunno. If not, it's been a good run. See you all in 5 years!

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I may be delusional right now but you remember that one weird webpage under the Smash DLC section of Nintendo's website?

Since 8972 is Sora, maybe 8973 is Waluigi? I dunno. If not, it's been a good run. See you all in 5 years!
Interesting. I didn't know about this. Where did you find it?

Sakurai said this was last one and last presentation for smash. Maybe it’s just a extra mii costume or stage?

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess that's that. I'm happy I didn't get my hopes up but its crazy to think its over now. Sora looks fun, I don't have a connection to him or Kingdom Hearts though so the reveal was eh to me. I'm happy for those who wanted him though. Hopefully we'll get our chance in the next Smash game

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I know this has been said a million times in here but I think this game would have been perfect if we got Waluigi or even Geno instead of Piranha Plant. Nearly all the fan favorites would be in at that point. Seriously who ever asked for the plant? I know it’s Sakurai’s game and he made plant because HE wanted to make plant, but putting in a generic enemy from a series with multiple fan demanded characters to choose from just feels like such a bad decision looking back at it.

the decision to include plant over another high profile Mario character Waluigi or toad will always be a terrible one imo. I don’t think there’s many people who would miss Piranha Plant not being in but there are thousands who really wanted Waluigi lol.

Last edited:

PunkApe

Interesting. I didn't know about this. Where did you find it?

Sakurai said this was last one and last presentation for smash. Maybe it’s just a extra mii costume or stage?
No, it'd have to be for a new fighter. Mii costumes are 8974 onwards.

Top Bottom