• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

zumaddy

Smash Ace
IIRC Most fighters that had around 40 minutes had a combination of: complicated moveset/complicated stage or stage lore needing explanation/input commands/stage cameos/inspiration behind alt swaps etc/general series or origin explanation.

Waluigi doesn't fit the bill for most of these and I highly doubt Sakurai would be spending a lot of time talking about Mario Tennis or Party to any length either. The length isn't hard evidence for sure, and you don't need to put any stock in it if you don't want to. For me, it's telling me that I'm banking my hopes on bonus fighter instead of the final main slot.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think the length of the presentation matters; my interpretation was that they’re going to do a segment at the end over smash itself and how far it has come, how big the roster is, and maybe touch on the future of ultimate/smash as a whole. A sort of goodbye/thank you. Because of this if anything I’m expecting a character whose presentation could be relatively SHORT to leave time for this at the end of the 40 minute presentation. There’s no way there isn’t some sort of a celebration about ultimate and its roster/thank you/here’s what to look forward to at the end. This is the last smash direct, and Sakurai is Sakurai. He’s not going to just leave without celebrating what he and his team have accomplished!

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I don’t think the length of the presentation matters; my interpretation was that they’re going to do a segment at the end over smash itself and how far it has come, how big the roster is, and maybe touch on the future of ultimate/smash as a whole. A sort of goodbye/thank you.
You know what, that's fair. In this particular case 40 minutes could mean 30 minutes of character and 10 of reminiscing.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I find it incredibly unlikely that Waluigi as the single fighter would have a 40 minute presentation, however if he's a bonus character for buying FP 1 and 2 similar to Plant, I can believe it.

(Just to be clear, I want Waluigi to be in, I just think he's more likely to be an extra than the last standalone fighter)
We don’t know what is gonna be in the presentation. So going by a length a video to determine who is unlikely is stupid.

This is just like when people said Waluigi wouldn’t bring enough content in the pass.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
We don’t know what is gonna be in the presentation. So going by a length a video to determine who is unlikely is stupid.

This is just like when people said Waluigi wouldn’t bring enough content in the pass.
I literally hate the People who say He can’t get in because He’s a “Meme”.

Sans and Steve were both meme’d a LOT during the times before their Reveals and Those Memes DID NOT screw over Their Chances of being in the Game.

(Granted,Sans was a Mii Costume with Banjo’s Inclusion but STILL.)

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Not sure if y'all have heard about this potential leak but here
Mickey Mouse is happening y'all
:p

But in real seriousness, how do we all feel about this? Guessing the exact date of October 5th all the way in July does kinda scare me for this potentially being legit and thus meaning no Waluigi, but I wanna have hope Waluigi still has a chance and this was just a really lucky guess.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

But in real seriousness, how do we all feel about this? Guessing the exact date of October 5th all the way in July does kinda scare me for this potentially being legit and thus meaning no Waluigi, but I wanna have hope Waluigi still has a chance and this was just a really lucky guess.
I'm gonna say it, and I don't care if I sound stupid this late on the speculation cycle.

Sora is probably a Mii costume, the KH music could just be for the mini trailer some Mii costumes use during their reveal, like Dante, Vault Boy, and Dovahkiin.

I think Nintendo wants to finish Ultimate with one of their own characters.
And Nintendo almost always does that every game, even with Bayonetta in Smash 4, she's technically a Nintendo character after Bayonetta 2, even though she's no doubt a 3rd party character, her situation is different from that of Dante, Doom Guy, or Sora.

Last edited:

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216

It probably could just be a lucky guess maybe.

But who knows,We’ll just have to see.
Though It’s on 4Chan sooo..

warubyun

Smash Apprentice

This was talked about in the general speculation thread for quite a number of pages, and it was discovered that just a few days or so before the Direct, another reply with near identical wording to the one in July showed up. All of the information offered was the same, except that the date that Nintendo had supposedly asked to use KH music for was changed to the day of the Direct. When you consider that the "leak" in July got no attention at all, it certainly is suspicious. People in the speculation thread seem to have concluded that it was the same user trying again after "fixing" the date, having no clue that their original date was coincidentally on the money.

To repeat my personal thoughts on it, it doesn't feel right. Why would Nintendo sort the licensing of KH music for the game and for Sora's presentation separately? Why does Nintendo have to go so far as to tell Disney Music the exact date of the event, but not exactly what the event is for? Would business like this not go at a higher level than simply "calling in" to some random non-executive and telling them all of their plans? Unless, of course, the user happens to be an executive...

There's just too many weird details raising new questions for me, that I'm not having an easy time believing it.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
The simple fact that the leak is from 4chan makes it questionable imo.

And about Waluigi, while I've been kinda forgetting about him these days, I've made a tinfoil theory about him, Mario Party Superstars and Ultimate being all linked together :

When I went to the eshop page of MPS, it says that "this game may contain product placement and advertising". We've already noticed that a few months ago but I'm gonna try to guess what it could be : my guess is either amiibos have a role in the game (please no) like unlocking costumes or boards or the dumbest thing ever : custom dices OR Waluigi is the last DLC character announced and during the presentation, we learn that Waluigi's Island is the board he's coming with. And then, Waluigi's Island will actually be in MPS as a secret 6th board and will basically be the same as the Ultimate board so SSB will get publicty and product placement in MPS through Waluigi's Island. However, if it was really supposed to be a secret board, wouldn't that **** up the surprise if we already see it during the Smash presentation ? I guess so but still.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

And about Waluigi, while I've been kinda forgetting about him these days, I've made a tinfoil theory about him, Mario Party Superstars and Ultimate being all linked together :

When I went to the eshop page of MPS, it says that "this game may contain product placement and advertising". We've already noticed that a few months ago but I'm gonna try to guess what it could be : my guess is either amiibos have a role in the game (please no) like unlocking costumes or boards or the dumbest thing ever : custom dices OR Waluigi is the last DLC character announced and during the presentation, we learn that Waluigi's Island is the board he's coming with. And then, Waluigi's Island will actually be in MPS as a secret 6th board and will basically be the same as the Ultimate board so SSB will get publicty and product placement in MPS through Waluigi's Island. However, if it was really supposed to be a secret board, wouldn't that **** up the surprise if we already see it during the Smash presentation ? I guess so but still.
I just noticed that Mario Party Superstars has only Woody Woods to rep Mario Party 3, while Mario Party 1&2 both have two boards each.
Maybe there is an unlockable secret board (Waluigi's Island).
I think all Mario Party games had secret boards, even the mediocre Super Mario Party did.

MP1 - Peach's Birthday Cake
MP1 - Yoshi's Tropical Island
MP2 - Space Land
MP2 - Horror Land
MP3 - Woody Woods
MP3 - Waluigi's Island

October could be all about Waluigi being promoted.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
This was talked about in the general speculation thread for quite a number of pages, and it was discovered that just a few days or so before the Direct, another reply with near identical wording to the one in July showed up. All of the information offered was the same, except that the date that Nintendo had supposedly asked to use KH music for was changed to the day of the Direct. When you consider that the "leak" in July got no attention at all, it certainly is suspicious. People in the speculation thread seem to have concluded that it was the same user trying again after "fixing" the date, having no clue that their original date was coincidentally on the money.

To repeat my personal thoughts on it, it doesn't feel right. Why would Nintendo sort the licensing of KH music for the game and for Sora's presentation separately? Why does Nintendo have to go so far as to tell Disney Music the exact date of the event, but not exactly what the event is for? Would business like this not go at a higher level than simply "calling in" to some random non-executive and telling them all of their plans? Unless, of course, the user happens to be an executive...

There's just too many weird details raising new questions for me, that I'm not having an easy time believing it.
Your second paragraph matches my thoughts exactly, there’s no way that some random person on the music team gets called up about this. It would be handled by the legal teams I would think. Even so, I don’t think they’d specifically tell someone over the phone that they need music for their Sora in smash reveal on the specific date of October 5th. Kinda funny that they got the date right but the story behind it and the nature of it being on 4chan seems fake af.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I just noticed that Mario Party Superstars has only Woody Woods to rep Mario Party 3, while Mario Party 1&2 both have two boards each.
Maybe there is an unlockable secret board (Waluigi's Island).
I think all Mario Party games had secret boards, even the mediocre Super Mario Party did.

MP1 - Peach's Birthday Cake
MP1 - Yoshi's Tropical Island
MP2 - Space Land
MP2 - Horror Land
MP3 - Woody Woods
MP3 - Waluigi's Island

October could be all about Waluigi being promoted.
And with MP3 being an absolute fan-favorite, it feels weird to have only one board from this game. Out of all the 100 minigames, MP3 has the most mini-games represented. Is this why it has only one board ? I don't think so. And yes, to my knowledge, all Mario Party games had at least one secret board and there's no way in hell one of the five boards is unlockable. I was expecting Bowser Land to be unlockable and Yoshi's Tropical Island and Spiny Desert to be announced but with Horror Land being in, I'm not really expecting Bowser Land anymore because three MP2 boards would be too much especially if there is just six boards. I think that right now, Waluigi's Island is the most likely to be a secret board if there is one which is probably the case and it could bring publicity to Smash Bros

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
“I work at Disney music”. That sounds so vague. Is that even what it’s called?
There’s a WEBSITE called Disney Music,Where you can listen to Music (Kinda like Spotify) and Kingdom Hearts 3 Music IS on there apparently.

But,I’m in the thought of this leak being fake lol

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216

Is the Product Placing and Advertising thing still there? Cause I swear I’ve checked recently and couldn’t find it.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Yeah ok,I basically looked EVERYWHERE On Superstars Eshop Page today. The Product Placing and Advertising label is GONE Now.

Pretty weird.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Perhaps it could be a transforming stage between different sports?
I’ve sorta had something like that in mind for a while.

like..”Mario Sports Tour” is the Name and it just goes to different Locations from certain Sports titles.

Marina Stadium or the Peach Dome from Tennis,Something from Golf Super Rush or even Toadstool Tour,The Mario Basketball court from Hoops 3-on-3 for Basketball,And of course MAYBE something from Strikers.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I still remember picking up Mario Kart 7 on release date and being utterly baffled Waluigi wasn't in it
Yeah I remember that. It's still weird how they used his stage yet not him at all.
I still don't buy the excuse that was given that "he was cut for time reasons", mainly due to the fact they included characters like Honey Queen, wiggler and Metal Mario. Waluigi, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Toadette and Birdetta were like the the main cast characters from the previous game that were cut in favor of these other ones

I have this theory that around that time Nintendo was trying to essentially "trim down" the core Mario cast, and they tried to do it to Waluigi, Toadette and Birdetta because they assumed no one would really care if they were gone. Diddy Kong being cut I assume is they wanted to seperate the DK cast from the Mario casts (meaning only having DK in the games), I don't really have a reason why Bowser Jr was cut though.

Thankfully people did catch on to the cuts and called out Nintendo for cutting Waluigi out, and now he's become a mainstay again. I usually look to that moment as the turning point for when people really started showing that Waluigi was a beloved character and not just a "extra" or something. Likewise Toadette would go on to become a more prominent character (even outshining the original Toad) and Birdetta finally is returning as a playable in the new Mario Party now (though sadly they still insist on deadnaming her.... 😒)

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
We shouldn’t worry to much about the Sora “leak”. Remember all the other stuff Waluigi has going for him.
I'm not worried about that leak, I even forgot about it
I still believe in my Waluigi's Island theory. I know it sounds kinda dumb but man, I hope it's real. At this point, this is the only thing I have and anything can happen...

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I really find it interesting that Mario tennis was picked as a launch title for Nintendo 64 online. This is the game that Waluigi debuted in and it launches in late October. The last fighter is October 5th. I know it might now mean much, but I find it interesting.

On another note, I’m also really happy that they are adding the game to switch for people who have never play this game. They’ll get to be able to experience his first appearance and what it was like.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I really find it interesting that Mario tennis was picked as a launch title for Nintendo 64 online. This is the game that Waluigi debuted in and it launches in late October. The last fighter is October 5th. I know it might now mean much, but I find it interesting.

On another note, I’m also really happy that they are adding the game to switch for people who have never play this game. They’ll get to be able to experience his first appearance and what it was like.
I think this is an underrated bit of speculation. Especially since this year Sakurai actually acknowledged the anniversary of Mario Tennis and specifically talked about Waluigi and his origin in the game. I know it’s essentially creating mountains out of mole hills here, but I do think that we’ve got some puzzle pieces starting to come together.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
FAcBM5MX0AI4v1D.jpeg.jpg

It seems Nintendo opted not to use the new Waluigi render for the latest Mario Party.
E01UX5GXsAE2-cp.jpeg.jpg

And I do believe that this is Nintendo teasing us with Waluigi like they previously did.
They've been doing that ever since Waluigi won that 2019 Valentine's day poll by a million votes.

I think Sakurai ordered that render for Waluigi's Fighter Spirit to showcase the Wah's eccentric side, Sakurai previously said that he creates movesets based on the fighter's abilities and personality.

Sakurai mentioned that he sees Waluigi as cruel and opportunistic, that was how they depicted his personality in Brawl.
But now Waluigi has had a lot of time to develop as a character, and he's so much more than just an Evil Luigi.

I think Sakurai and the Smash team now have a clearer idea of who exactly is Waluigi and how they want to represent him in Smash.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
View attachment 332159
It seems Nintendo opted not to use the new Waluigi render for the latest Mario Party.
View attachment 332160
And I do believe that this is Nintendo teasing us with Waluigi like they previously did.
They've been doing that ever since Waluigi won that 2019 Valentine's day poll by a million votes.

I think Sakurai ordered that render for Waluigi's Fighter Spirit to showcase the Wah's eccentric side, Sakurai previously said that he creates movesets based on the fighter's abilities and personality.

Sakurai mentioned that he sees Waluigi as cruel and opportunistic, that was how they depicted his personality in Brawl.
But now Waluigi has had a lot of time to develop as a character, and he's so much more than just an Evil Luigi.

I think Sakurai and the Smash team now have a clearer idea of who exactly is Waluigi and how they want to represent him in Smash.
Honestly, I don't think I could imagine this render ever being used in a Mario game given its provocative and curvaceous nature, but it's also too Mario-like to be used a Waluigi or Wario Land game, which would likely have a new art style.

Considering that Sakurai's team is seemingly expemt from the Mario Mandate and their tendency to use the slightly older rating target to exeggrate small traits of the Mario cast you couldn't fully utilise under an E-rating "flirtatious Waluigi" absolutely seems like a route Sakurai would go down.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Ah, considering that victory pose also uses a rose, then maybe the new render actually is from the game, but we just haven't seen it yet
But that would also mean Waluigi got priority over major characters such as Peach, Wario, and Donkey Kong.

Giving him alone a new render and skipping the others is rather suspicious.

I still believe in the theory that the new render is his Fighter Spirit, it just got revealed early.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Characters in Mario Party Superstars have new victory animations including Waluigi who now uses his rose!!!

View attachment 332182
Oh my god, I’m squealing like a giddy fangirl over this pose! I’m so excited to play this even more now that they are giving him new animations. I need to see an hd version of this!

Where did you find this?

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I think this is an underrated bit of speculation. Especially since this year Sakurai actually acknowledged the anniversary of Mario Tennis and specifically talked about Waluigi and his origin in the game. I know it’s essentially creating mountains out of mole hills here, but I do think that we’ve got some puzzle pieces starting to come together.
Ooh I didn’t think about the time that Sakurai tweeted about it’s anniversary! Very interesting!

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
With the smash reveal happening in October, I guess it does line up with the release of one of Waluigi's biggest games (specifically the first game where he was the main antagonist), which also happens to be a game they can pull a lot of music tracks for for a Waluigi stage:
Screenshot_20211002-013643-min.png

Pair this with the fact that that Mario Tennis is a launch title for the online expansion (which also launches October) and all the other tidbits (recent tourney about assist trophies, Sakurai acknowledging the anniversary of Waluigi, the big influx of Waluigi licensed merch), does give a lot of hope for him pulling through as the final Smash character 🤞

Top Bottom