• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It’s pretty Crazy,Right?

Usually Nintendo HARDLY ever does this with the Character.

And While it may not really MEAN much,It’s just interesting to see them DO all of this with This one Character.

Making Merch about em’ like Figures or a Game Controller,Shoving Him into Promotional Material for a Game,And In general having Him be in a Ton of Nintendo Minute stuff.

It’s nuts.
Yeah and I honestly love that they’re giving him some attention, even if it is just minor things like ads on their youtube channel.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
While I do love that Waluigi is getting more attention through these YouTube videos and some of the marketing (it's genuinely great after years of him being snuffed from even just that),........ at the same time, can't help but also be disappointed it hasn't coincided with like, anything really substantial like a Big game appearance or solo series or of course a spot in the smash roster.
I mean hell, he got ignored again from getting a chance to appear in the newest WarioWare game despite people asking for it for years and all the Waluigi publicity Nintendo has made recently. In the end, for Waluigi it was once again a big nothing.

For me, It's like getting a big pile of sprinkles on a birthday cake, which is great, but you take a bite and realize there's no cake underneath to bite into, it's just sprinkles. There's nothing of substances to really enjoy it and make the sprinkles feel like they have a reason to be there. You gotta have the main part of the dish, not just the pretty stuff on top.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
While I do love that Waluigi is getting more attention through these YouTube videos and some of the marketing (it's genuinely great after years of him being snuffed from even just that),........ at the same time, can't help but also be disappointed it hasn't coincided with like, anything really substantial like a Big game appearance or solo series or of course a spot in the smash roster.
I mean hell, he got ignored again from getting a chance to appear in the newest WarioWare game despite people asking for it for years and all the Waluigi publicity Nintendo has made recently. In the end, for Waluigi it was once again a big nothing.

For me, It's like getting a big pile of sprinkles on a birthday cake, which is great, but you take a bite and realize there's no cake underneath to bite into, it's just sprinkles. There's nothing of substances to really enjoy it and make the sprinkles feel like they have a reason to be there. You gotta have the main part of the dish, not just the pretty stuff on top.
There’s still one dlc fighter left. Who knows, maybe they‘re building up to his smash inclusion? Only time will tell.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
There’s still one dlc fighter left. Who knows, maybe they‘re building up to his smash inclusion? Only time will tell.
I mean yeah that's the hope, that this is all a pay-off for something big like a smash reveal. It just feels like, if the smash reveal doesn't happen and nothing else big happens (role in a Wario/mainline Mario game, own series etc), then this is all just a big nothing, and just Nintendo milking Waluigi fans and Waluigi's popularity without actually coming through with anything substantial.

Essentially it would be Nintendo saying: "Yeah, we see you all love Waluigi and how immensely popular he is online and in the Nintendo community, here's a Waluigi themed switch dock for you, and Waluigi themed thumbstick covers for joy-cons!!! (Oh yeah, also we have nothing planned for the character aside from more appearances in spin offs unless we feel like cutting him from those too. Sorry! Better buy more of those merchandise if you want more Waluigi 😂😂😂)"

I'm holding out hope Waluigi is happening as the final Smash DLC, but if it doesn't happen, nor anything else significant like a role in a mainline game or own game series, then I truely do feel like what I said above is basically what we have in store for the future :(

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
I mean yeah that's the hope, that this is all a pay-off for something big like a smash reveal. It just feels like, if the smash reveal doesn't happen and nothing else big happens (role in a Wario/mainline Mario game, own series etc), then this is all just a big nothing, and just Nintendo milking Waluigi fans and Waluigi's popularity without actually coming through with anything substantial.

Essentially it would be Nintendo saying: "Yeah, we see you all love Waluigi and how immensely popular he is online and in the Nintendo community, here's a Waluigi themed switch dock for you, and Waluigi themed thumbstick covers for joy-cons!!! (Oh yeah, also we have nothing planned for the character aside from more appearances in spin offs unless we feel like cutting him from those too. Sorry! Better buy more of those merchandise if you want more Waluigi 😂😂😂)"

I'm holding out hope Waluigi is happening as the final Smash DLC, but if it doesn't happen, nor anything else significant like a role in a mainline game or own game series, then I truely do feel like what I said above is basically what we have in store for the future :(
I DEFINITELY hope they don’t just Milk the Character to Death. :/

I wanna at least hope that the dude ends up getting His own Standalone Title one day.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman

I'm surprised, I didn't think they'd announce a direct a day before but here we are. Looks like tomorrow may finally be the day. Personally, I just hope they announce a separate final Smash Bros. direct since then there'll be a higher chance of getting a bonus fighter

I really, REALLY hope that Waluigi gets announced but I'm going into the direct with low expectations, I'm expecting Cinderace or the guy from the new SMT game (no disrespect to those characters, just not my cup of tea). But hey I got proven wrong with the Direct, lets see if I'm proven wrong once more and Waluigi truly is the final fighter

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
If Waluigi is the last fighter, he has to be in revealed in this direct. I can’t imagine them holding off a first party later than that. It’s now or never.

Although I suppose it’s possible he could be revealed in a Sakurai presents since Byleth was revealed that way.

Last edited:

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216

I'm surprised, I didn't think they'd announce a direct a day before but here we are. Looks like tomorrow may finally be the day. Personally, I just hope they announce a separate final Smash Bros. direct since then there'll be a higher chance of getting a bonus fighter

I really, REALLY hope that Waluigi gets announced but I'm going into the direct with low expectations, I'm expecting Cinderace or the guy from the new SMT game (no disrespect to those characters, just not my cup of tea). But hey I got proven wrong with the Direct, lets see if I'm proven wrong once more and Waluigi truly is the final fighter
The Moment of Truth may be Upon us..

I’m Personally Banking on a Pokémon like Toxicitry or something lol

But GOD what I’d give for it to be Waluigi.. 😔

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Well it’s been a very wild ride you guys, and if this afternoon ends up being the reveal of the last character like I think it will be, then I hope it’s Waluigi!

Personally I’m expecting a Pokémon or fire emblem character (so far this is the only pass that hasn’t had a FE character, so I’m not going to lie I’m kind of nervous).

If Waluigi doesn’t end up getting into smash then I hope we at least see something Waluigi-related at some point, maybe like a Wario Land revival where player 2 can be Waluigi. We can only hope right? Then again if all he ever continues to be is just a spin-off mainstay (other than smash for some stupid reason) then I’ll continue to play as him all the same! Wah!

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Well it’s been a very wild ride you guys, and if this afternoon ends up being the reveal of the last character like I think it will be, then I hope it’s Waluigi!

Personally I’m expecting a Pokémon or fire emblem character (so far this is the only pass that hasn’t had a FE character, so I’m not going to lie I’m kind of nervous).

If Waluigi doesn’t end up getting into smash then I hope we at least see something Waluigi-related at some point, maybe like a Wario Land revival where player 2 can be Waluigi. We can only hope right? Then again if all he ever continues to be is just a spin-off mainstay (other than smash for some stupid reason) then I’ll continue to play as him all the same! Wah!
Apparently, NateDrake said waluigi has a chance while shooting other trending characters down. I don't know how reliable he is when it comes to smash info, but he has leaked stuff in the past, like the Mario 3d all star collection.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, NateDrake said waluigi has a chance while shooting other trending characters down. I don't know how reliable he is when it comes to smash info, but he has leaked stuff in the past, like the Mario 3d all star collection.
Whoa really? Where did he say that at (not doubting you just wanting to give it a read)? If true that’s pretty big, like you said idk about smash info but he’s usually pretty reliable.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Whoa really? Where did he say that at (not doubting you just wanting to give it a read)? If true that’s pretty big, like you said idk about smash info but he’s usually pretty reliable.
Someone talked about it in the general speculation thread.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Someone talked about it in the general speculation thread.
Ohhh very interesting. Most insiders/people with insider info are very quiet about Waluigi, him denying master chief yet saying Waluigi has a chance in the same sentence is really promising… we will see. On another note Waluigi got a lot of screen time in the mario party section!

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
BRO MARIO TENNIS (N64) IS ON NSO.

PEOPLE CAN PLAY THE GAME THAT DEBUTED WALUIGI INTO THE MARIO UNIVERSE NOW.

After seeing that,My Confidence in Him being the Last Fighter freakin’ SKYROCKETED.

He now Has Two Games He could Promote (Super Rush and Superstars) AND The Game He FIRST Appeared in Is now on the Switch.

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
BRO MARIO TENNIS (N64) IS ON NSO.

PEOPLE CAN PLAY THE GAME THAT DEBUTED WALUIGI INTO THE MARIO UNIVERSE NOW.

After seeing that,My Confidence in Him being the Last Fighter freakin’ SKYROCKETED.

He now Has Two Games He could Promote (Super Rush and Superstars) AND The Game He FIRST Appeared in Is now on the Switch.

Also,If I’m not mistaken..Mario Party Superstars releases the SAME DAY as the CP11 Presentation.
The new membership plan is coming in late October, possibly the same time period when CP11 releases, so maybe they can use him to promote Mario Tennis 64 and the new subscription? Superstars also releases late October so I could see them using Waluigi to promote that also!

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what are Waluigi's chances right now, especially with the announcement that the last DLC will be revealed in a few days but...

THE BEST BOARD IS BACK AND IT WAS UNIRONICALLY THE BEST PART OF THE DIRECT! I HOPE THEY LET THE COOL THINGS IN THE BACKGROUND LIKE THE KETCHUP TRAIL

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I'm convinced the Mario movie is gonna suck ass lol, between the big celebrity evangelical Christian Mario, Teen Titans Go writers, and Nintendo ditching Dreamworks for ****ing illumination (despite universal owning the former too), makes this look like it's gonna be the most corporate, blandest piece of Mario media we've ever seen.
And to ad insult to injury, no confirmation for Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi. The latter two really stings for me. Only cool things are Kevin Michael Richardson being in the movie, Jack black as Bowser I guess (though I don't think he'll fit at all with Bowser tbh), and I guess that Foreman Spike is gonna be one of the main characters (odd character to choose but I'll take it). Charles Martinet being regulated to "cameos" also is a kick in the crotch.

The bar is very low for me for this movie

As for the smash fighter, only hope that it may still be Waluigi for me is that Mario tennis is one of the switch online 64 games

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I'm very mixed on the Mario movie. I don't think it'll be good, but I don't think it'll be bad either. I think it's gonna be very safe since its Nintendo's first step into the film industry since the disaster of the original live-action Mario movie. I don't have too much of a problem with the cast, I think they're fine other than Chris Pratt as Mario. It just doesn't work for me and Martinet is already in the movie why not just use him??? Since Martinet will be in the movie I hope Wario and Waluigi get a cameo, the only other character I could see Martinet doing a cameo for is Toadsworth but I highly doubt he'll be in the movie.

I dunno I'm probably being too lenient considering it is Illumination, but either way I'd like to just wait and see what goes down. My guess is that the plot will revolve around Donkey Kong/Wrecking Crew/Super Mario Bros. 1, it would explain why Donkey, Cranky, and Spike are in the movie. A side story with Wario and Waluigi would be cool to see but I doubt it'll happen

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
You know, not all of the n64 games are on the NSO. But it intrigues me that they prioritize putting Mario tennis on there.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

Got bored and made this to meme on the Mario movie, hey, maybe someday William Dafoe Waluigi will be real :p

(Alternatively, you could also see this as Waluigi's reaction if he doesn't become the final dlc character for smash)

Last edited:

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
You know, not all of the n64 games are on the NSO. But it intrigues me that they prioritize putting Mario tennis on there.
Yeah no,LITERALLY a Starting Title alongside Super Mario 64 (Which has technically been put onto the Switch TWICE now) and Mario Kart 64.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Well, one thing is certain.
Nintendo has been focusing on Waluigi a lot, teasing here and there with a pic or two, the new render that we're still not sure what's it gonna be used for, Sakurai celebrating the anniversary of Mario Tennis and mentioning Waluigi by name, that same game where Waluigi made his debut is on the Switch now (Waluigi's Origins is on a new console), and finally the Assist Trophy tournament right before the Direct.

If they were gonna reveal the last fighter in this Direct, they could've done so and just end the speculation right there, but this reminds me of when Byleth got revealed.

The reveal trailer followed by the moveset presentation, and they're both first-party characters, so let's see.

Last edited:

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
I'm very mixed on the Mario movie. I don't think it'll be good, but I don't think it'll be bad either. I think it's gonna be very safe since its Nintendo's first step into the film industry since the disaster of the original live-action Mario movie. I don't have too much of a problem with the cast, I think they're fine other than Chris Pratt as Mario. It just doesn't work for me and Martinet is already in the movie why not just use him??? Since Martinet will be in the movie I hope Wario and Waluigi get a cameo, the only other character I could see Martinet doing a cameo for is Toadsworth but I highly doubt he'll be in the movie.

I dunno I'm probably being too lenient considering it is Illumination, but either way I'd like to just wait and see what goes down. My guess is that the plot will revolve around Donkey Kong/Wrecking Crew/Super Mario Bros. 1, it would explain why Donkey, Cranky, and Spike are in the movie. A side story with Wario and Waluigi would be cool to see but I doubt it'll happen
I’m honestly willing to bet the “Special Cameos” They’re talking about Are Wario and Waluigi.

Them just kinda being in the Background,Probably just chilling While the Whole Story with Mario and Gang goes on Would be hilarious.

Like,Bowser just flies away with Peach and they see that happen while Walking around and they comment about it like
“Bah! Again? WHEN will Casanova Koopa take a Hint?”
“Probably when He Gets a Brain..Or a Smack from the Pan! Heh heh heh!”

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Well, one thing is certain.
Nintendo has been focusing on Waluigi a lot, teasing here and there with a pic or two, the new render that we're still not sure what's it gonna be used for, Sakurai celebrating the anniversary of Mario Tennis and mentioning Waluigi by name, that same game where Waluigi made his debut is on the Switch now (Waluigi's Origins is on a new console), and finally the Assist Trophy tournament right before the Direct.

If they were gonna reveal the last fighter in this Direct, they could've done so and just and the speculation right there, but this reminds me of when Byleth got revealed.

The reveal trailer followed by the moveset presentation, and they're both first-party characters, so let's see.
I don’t think the Waluigi Render’s being used for Superstars,From all I’ve seen they’ve just been re-using the Super Mario Party Render of Him.

Everyone Has New Renders Except for Him,Wario,and Birdo. We don’t Know if Rosalina has a New One or if they’ll Re-use the one from Mario Party 10 and Mario Kart Tour.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
OH GOD I HOPE THAT THIS ISN'T THE FINAL VERSION OF THE MAP AND IT'S JUST AN EARLY VERSION
LOOK AT THE OVERSATURATION OF LUCKY SPACES AND THE LACK OF DETAILS COMPARED TO THE N64 GAME
Damn it I'm more invested in the maps of MPS than the last DLC character of Ultimate==

gfdgfd.png

gdrdgf.png

I'm convinced the Mario movie is gonna suck ass lol, between the big celebrity evangelical Christian Mario, Teen Titans Go writers, and Nintendo ditching Dreamworks for ****ing illumination (despite universal owning the former too), makes this look like it's gonna be the most corporate, blandest piece of Mario media we've ever seen.
And to ad insult to injury, no confirmation for Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi. The latter two really stings for me. Only cool things are Kevin Michael Richardson being in the movie, Jack black as Bowser I guess (though I don't think he'll fit at all with Bowser tbh), and I guess that Foreman Spike is gonna be one of the main characters (odd character to choose but I'll take it). Charles Martinet being regulated to "cameos" also is a kick in the crotch.

The bar is very low for me for this movie

As for the smash fighter, only hope that it may still be Waluigi for me is that Mario tennis is one of the switch online 64 games
Charles Marinet regulated to cameos, other than being total bull**** makes me think that Wario & Waluigi will have cameos on the movie... JK it's actually Baby Mario & Luigi who are gonna make an appearance
But I already knew that this movie was gonna smell excessive cringe the moment I saw that Illumination was making it. Te*n Tit*ns G* writers is 50/50 because they've also made a cool Jackie Chan cartoon in the 2000s and I remember loving it and not just because I was younger, it was actually cool. We will see I guess

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
I suppose I must've opened my alerts and not checked this thread after doing so at some point, because I've been thinking this entire time that there's been no posts here since then.

Anyhoo, I'm not feeling any more pessimistic about Waluigi's chances since the last time I posted here. I noted in the general speculation thread that the new Mario Party was (and is) a month away, and a Waluigi reveal now could coincide with that to add an upcoming title promotion on top of the popular demand cake, as he is the last recurring playable Mario Party character to not be playable in Smash yet. Admittedly, I was feeling slightly iffy about it, since it is well over a month away at this point, but now it turns out we're getting the reveal quite a bit closer to the game's release. So I guess we'll see.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I must've opened my alerts and not checked this thread after doing so at some point, because I've been thinking this entire time that there's been no posts here since then.

Anyhoo, I'm not feeling any more pessimistic about Waluigi's chances since the last time I posted here. I noted in the general speculation thread that the new Mario Party was (and is) a month away, and a Waluigi reveal now could coincide with that to add an upcoming title promotion on top of the popular demand cake, as he is the last recurring playable Mario Party character to not be playable in Smash yet. Admittedly, I was feeling slightly iffy about it, since it is well over a month away at this point, but now it turns out we're getting the reveal quite a bit closer to the game's release. So I guess we'll see.
And Mario tennis is coming to NSO late October too.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
And Mario tennis is coming to NSO late October too.
Bro I STILL can’t believe they actually added that to NSO. I thought they wouldn’t and just ignored it!

They really surprised me there.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
Sooo..Has anyone noticed that the little Label on the Mario Party Superstars Eshop Page has Disappeared? I don’t see it there anymore.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I find it incredibly unlikely that Waluigi as the single fighter would have a 40 minute presentation, however if he's a bonus character for buying FP 1 and 2 similar to Plant, I can believe it.

(Just to be clear, I want Waluigi to be in, I just think he's more likely to be an extra than the last standalone fighter)

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I find it incredibly unlikely that Waluigi as the single fighter would have a 40 minute presentation, however if he's a bonus character for buying FP 1 and 2 similar to Plant, I can believe it.

(Just to be clear, I want Waluigi to be in, I just think he's more likely to be an extra than the last standalone fighter)
They can stretch the presentation if they decide to include bonus stages to fill out the blank slots at the end.

Like imagine if they finally gave us Bowser's Castle.

I'm just saying anything can happen, and the Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirits are still missing, so maybe it's a Waluigi presentation plus more Super Mario representation with stages, music, spirits, etc.

flame purple

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0948-4313-0216
They can stretch the presentation if they decide to include bonus stages to fill out the blank slots at the end.

Like imagine if they finally gave us Bowser's Castle.

I'm just saying anything can happen, and the Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirits are still missing, so maybe it's a Waluigi presentation plus more Super Mario representation with stages, music, spirits, etc.
Well they’re obviously revealing the character first,So that’ll take up a bit of time..Then instead of the whole “What is X Game?” Thing,They’ll probably go “Who is Waluigi?” Where they’ll talk about His Origins (Aka Mario Tennis),His Friendship with Wario,Rivalry to Luigi,and probably small bits of lore like how the Mario Party 4 Instruction Booklet says that Waluigi had a Crush on Daisy but got rejected in favor of Luigi. They’ll probably bring up other Appearances in Games like Mario Kart,Mario Party,Mario Strikers,And maybe stuff like Game and Watch Gallery 4 and DDR Mario Mix.

After that,Moveset,Taunts,And Alts..Following up with The Final Smash and then talking about the Stage (Whether it be something like Waluigi Pinball,Stadium,Waluigi’s Island..Or something like Marina Stadium from Aces.) Then,The MUSIC Tracks (And good god they could go AAAALL out with it,Throwing in Already Repped Series songs like the ORIGINAL Waluigi Pinball theme from Mario Kart DS,Waluigi Stadium from Double Dash,Some Songs from Tennis Aces,Super Rush,and maybe even N64 Mario Tennis. But perhaps UNREPPED Series songs like Waluigi’s Theme and Sudden Death from Mario Strikers Charged,Destruction Dance and Starring Wario from DDR Mario Mix,And probably my 2ND Favorite..a Jazzy REMIX of Waluigi’s Reign from the Mario Party E-Reader Game. Which is a Thing btw..Look it up.)

Then,We see The Character In Action (I’d LOVE it if it were a Tag Team Battle with Waluigi and Wario against Mario and Luigi.)

Sakurai Talks about Amiibo News and..That’s probably it.

Unless They DO announce a Bonus Character but..Who knows.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the length of the presentation indicates anything, really. As already pointed out, Sakurai goes in-depth into the origins of the character, their moves, their stage, and their music. He also talks about design choices for the appearance of the character in Smash and their alternate costumes, and he also goes extensively over the quirks and features of the accompanying stage. There's probably more I'm forgetting - in any case I have no doubts that Sakurai would have enough to talk about to stretch any character's presentation to 40 minutes.

Maybe there is a point to be made in that everyone already knows Waluigi and the Mario series, so all this wouldn't be necessary, but I don't see why they would differentiate like that. Plus, they said roughly 40 minutes, so maybe it's not even 40 minutes exactly...

Top Bottom