• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I believe so. If we're to believe the "Steve and Sephiroth were intended for E3" theory then it wouldn't be too surprising to see Waluigi revealed alongside an anime-esque or otherwise heavily eastern fighter following a pattern with Banjo and Hero, so as much as I hate to diss my Bandi-boy, Crash's possible disconfirmation courtesty of TfB's interview and Lex Lang may be in Waluigi's favour. It is still possible the 'Merica-pleasing fighter, should this pattern be taken as fact, could be a rootin-tootin-gun-em-up-mecha-bloodguy instead of a lovable scrimblo bimblo, but we'll see
If the eastern/western theory is true and waluigi is the western pick, then that could mean I could get my other most wanted as the eastern pick...

But for real, saying that Sephiroth is just an "anime-esque character" could be considered as ignorance because sephiroth is objectively in the top 5 most well-known/popular villains in video game history, there's a reason why he was revealed during the game awards, he was probably the most well known square enix character not in ssb yet besides other final fantasy (7) characters, 2b and maybe sora (if you ignore the fact that disney owns him) while geno is nowhere near their popularity outside of smash (speculation) but that's beside the point.

I can see why hero can be considered as an "anime character" for western people especially americans since dragon quest wasn't popular overthere like in japan where it's basically a religion but sephiroth is literally from what could be considered the most popular jrpg in the world.

Anyway I don't think that there's really some eastern/western pattern, it depends on who they choose but it's true that they try to appeal to both the east and the west and sometimes, both at the same time but what is certain is that there must be a hype pick that would break most of the internet and waluigi might be the one for this year's e3

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I believe so. If we're to believe the "Steve and Sephiroth were intended for E3" theory then it wouldn't be too surprising to see Waluigi revealed alongside an anime-esque or otherwise heavily eastern fighter following a pattern with Banjo and Hero, so as much as I hate to diss my Bandi-boy, Crash's possible disconfirmation courtesty of TfB's interview and Lex Lang may be in Waluigi's favour. It is still possible the 'Merica-pleasing fighter, should this pattern be taken as fact, could be a rootin-tootin-gun-em-up-mecha-bloodguy instead of a lovable scrimblo bimblo, but we'll see
So we might get an eastern pick and a western pick, then?

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I found some more recent Waluigi merchandise.

View attachment 317048
Now that they’re including him alongside the other 3 plumbers with the branding “Super Mario”, I feel like they’ve finally started to accept him as not just a side character. Only a matter of time before he makes a mainline game appearance, or even better just give him his own game. (And smash obviously)

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Now that they’re including him alongside the other 3 plumbers with the branding “Super Mario”, I feel like they’ve finally started to accept him as not just a side character. Only a matter of time before he makes a mainline game appearance, or even better just give him his own game. (And smash obviously)
Nintendo finally realizes people like him and they’re taking advantage of it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
There's a website called Poster Foundry, and they seem to have started working with Nintendo. I've done a few checks and they seem to be legit. Some of the Nintendo art on their site even seems to be brand new. (lots of "seems" here, huh.)
D6F1A870-5350-4CAF-BA8E-2ABEB9E65E96.jpeg
D3488FD1-C6D4-4465-92F7-319C721CB2E8.jpeg

Their Nintendo stuff is as far as I can tell recent additions. One doesn't have an image and none of the ones I've checked have reviews yet.
C7F26B3D-2B4C-4E1A-8E91-3EBEF65BE3D1.jpeg

One of the products they sell is this:
B2B354FE-16E3-4C3C-BE67-0D9BEBAEE330.jpeg

The only other product there that's labled Smash Bros. is a laughing Wario poster in the same style

(There's also some Star Fox Zero stuff, but that isn't relevant.)

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I've recently discovered this. It's a leak about the list of characters they choose to put in the game and waluigi isn't on this list which is kinda worrying since the leak basically got everything right. This is the first time a leak makes me doubtful
Now I know that you're going to say that min-min and pyra/mythra are not there but I believe that the arms director directly approched sakurai to add an arms character and as for pyra and mythra, well they planned to add rex as well but it was scrapped due to hardware limitations

Even without this leak, I still believe that his own game or something like that getting announced during e3 is more likely than his participation in ultimate and if nothing happens, I'm jumping off the waluigi train because according to nintendo, we shouldn't believe in miracles

hgfhfg.PNG

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've recently discovered this. It's a leak about the list of characters they choose to put in the game and waluigi isn't on this list which is kinda worrying since the leak basically got everything right. This is the first time a leak makes me doubtful
Now I know that you're going to say that min-min and pyra/mythra are not there but I believe that the arms director directly approched sakurai to add an arms character and as for pyra and mythra, well they planned to add rex as well but it was scrapped due to hardware limitations

Even without this leak, I still believe that his own game or something like that getting announced during e3 is more likely than his participation in ultimate and if nothing happens, I'm jumping off the waluigi train because according to nintendo, we shouldn't believe in miracles

View attachment 317219
I dunno, the reasoning with both Min Min and Pythra strikes me as mental gymnastics to be perfectly honest. Also the inclusion of Byleth raises a few flags, as Sakurai has implied he didn't want to add Byleth but had no choice, while this leak moreso implies Byleth was provided as an option and Sakurai made the decision to include him. Linkle is another really weird inclusion, unless the "leaker" mispelled Tingle. However, the most troubling/dubious character here is Spyro - a character who's latest instalment didn't get a Japanese localisation, and the very few non-Skylanders games of his to be released in Japan were butchered beyond recongision.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 317219
This is the dumbest “leak” I’ve ever seen. They provided a huge list of big name characters. Of course some of them would be chosen. Also why would a Namco rep know the entire list that Nintendo gave Sakurai to choose from? Come on, man. This is beyond pessimistic to read into, only doomers would let this sort of thing destroy their hopes for a character.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
There's a website called Poster Foundry, and they seem to have started working with Nintendo. I've done a few checks and they seem to be legit. Some of the Nintendo art on their site even seems to be brand new. (lots of "seems" here, huh.)
View attachment 317216View attachment 317217

Their Nintendo stuff is as far as I can tell recent additions. One doesn't have an image and none of the ones I've checked have reviews yet.
View attachment 317218

One of the products they sell is this:
View attachment 317215
The only other product there that's labled Smash Bros. is a laughing Wario poster in the same style

(There's also some Star Fox Zero stuff, but that isn't relevant.)
It's very possible the Smash Bros title is just a mistake. For example, when Sonic Colors Ultimate first got leaked, the website where it was listed had "Sonic Generations" in its URL. So I think this might just be a fluke on the website's part.
Still, the fact that the poster itself is licensed by Nintendo gives me a little more hope for the funny purple man to come home.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's very possible the Smash Bros title is just a mistake. For example, when Sonic Colors Ultimate first got leaked, the website where it was listed had "Sonic Generations" in its URL. So I think this might just be a fluke on the website's part.
Still, the fact that the poster itself is licensed by Nintendo gives me a little more hope for the funny purple man to come home.
That is possible, but I think it's a little suspiscious that the title is given to a poster set with Waluigi of all characters in one of them.

The timeline I'm seeing here is basically Nintendo planning Waluigi merchandise to launch around this time to cash in on a Smash reveal, Nintendo informing the manufacturers that it's related to Smash and telling them not to leak that, and the poster company that makes/distributes the Waaaaa poster assuming that means Wario and Waluigi originate from or are the Super Smash Bros. One thing I should note is that the Waluigi poster is dated 2018 by the fine print and the "Smash Bros." could've been added to cash in on the Waluigi hype of E3, however there's nothing to say this isn't a reissue - and there is something to say it is a reissue...
0D6FD697-7BAA-439D-8C65-8ED04CE40316.jpeg
4E7F74C0-0EDC-42CF-BB7F-2D6A316603CC.jpeg

This estimate of around-today checks out: I found the poster in a Google image search for Waluigi, which like all sane people I do frequently, and had never seen it before.

EDIT: They have the poster on Amazon, complete with Smash in the name and...

C5A7F602-959B-4074-9F83-3DE9C5849EAB.jpeg

IT'S (probably) HAPPENING.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
That is possible, but I think it's a little suspiscious that the title is given to a poster set with Waluigi of all characters in one of them.

The timeline I'm seeing here is basically Nintendo planning Waluigi merchandise to launch around this time to cash in on a Smash reveal, Nintendo informing the manufacturers that it's related to Smash and telling them not to leak that, and the poster company that makes/distributes the Waaaaa poster assuming that means Wario and Waluigi originate from or are the Super Smash Bros. One thing I should note is that the Waluigi poster is dated 2018 by the fine print and the "Smash Bros." could've been added to cash in on the Waluigi hype of E3, however there's nothing to say this isn't a reissue - and there is something to say it is a reissue...
View attachment 317225View attachment 317226
This estimate of around-today checks out: I found the poster in a Google image search for Waluigi, which like all sane people I do frequently, and had never seen it before.

View attachment 317227

This is getting really interesting. I don’t want to consider anything a lock because I’m doing my best to hype responsibly, but it’s beyond levels of just being a coincidence that all of these individual retailers are releasing/restocking Waluigi merch. Something with the purple man is happening at E3. Going to tag papagenos papagenos one last time because I think the poster thing in particular is really interesting!

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
This is the dumbest “leak” I’ve ever seen. They provided a huge list of big name characters. Of course some of them would be chosen. Also why would a Namco rep know the entire list that Nintendo gave Sakurai to choose from? Come on, man. This is beyond pessimistic to read into, only doomers would let this sort of thing destroy their hopes for a character.
You're right, the fact that they listed big names that we hear everytime is weird and I didn't saw that the guy was "working at namco" lol, I just saw that recently and because of the fact that the list got multiple characters that actually got in, I was doubtful even though it never happened before when I saw a leak. Sorry

View attachment 317225View attachment 317226

View attachment 317227

Whether it's smash or his own game or even both, I'm kinda expecting something huge with him at e3

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
The koopa troopa poster looks exactly like my Waluigi poster.

Anyway, this is so similar to what happen to Banjo. People finding out about recent merchandise and then...it happened.

Speaking of Papagenos, he did hear evidence of Waluigi (or Geno) being in this fighter pass from someone he was in contact with that he claimed was someone who had inside info from Nintendo a while back.

EDIT: Okay I just wanna point out that was not a leak, it’s someone’s prediction list. People have already have talked about this on twitter.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The koopa troopa poster looks exactly like my Waluigi poster.

Anyway, this is so similar to what happen to Banjo. People finding out about recent merchandise and then...it happened.

Speaking of Papagenos, he did hear evidence of Waluigi (or Geno) being in this fighter pass from someone he was in contact with that he claimed was someone who had inside info from Nintendo a while back.

EDIT: Okay I just wanna point that was not a leak, it’s someone’s prediction list. People have already have talked about this in twitter.

Maybe this could be a turning point in Waluigi's status in the community leading up to E3. Seeing as most people see Assist Trophies as a death sentence though I doubt it.

His reveal, if it happens, would completely break the internet.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this could be a turning point in Waluigi's status in the community leading up to E3. Seeing as most people see Assist Trophies as a death sentence though I doubt it.

His reveal, if it happens, would completely break the internet.
I’d love that, but Waluigi just has such a stigma around him due to assist trophy status (irrelevant imo), and “WaLuIgi FaNs seNT sAkUrAi dEaTh ThReats!!!”... seriously, some people are so biased against the character. I’ve tried talking about the Waluigi merch in a few different comment sections/forums and just get slammed with “merchandisers don’t know smash DLC, this doesn’t mean anything, etc”, yet when it was Banjo in basically the same position everyone pretty much accepted it and got excited.

oh well, those people are in for a big surprise come E3, and so are we 😊

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I’d love that, but Waluigi just has such a stigma around him due to assist trophy status (irrelevant imo), and “WaLuIgi FaNs seNT sAkUrAi dEaTh ThReats!!!”... seriously, some people are so biased against the character. I’ve tried talking about the Waluigi merch in a few different comment sections/forums and just get slammed with “merchandisers don’t know smash DLC, this doesn’t mean anything, etc”, yet when it was Banjo in basically the same position everyone pretty much accepted it and got excited.

oh well, those people are in for a big surprise come E3, and so are we 😊
“Merchandisers don’t know smash dlc”

People seem to have forgotten Banjo.

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
It would be absolutely delightful not only to see waluigi finally join the fight, but also to see dumb haters who keep saying that waluigi will never be in smash and **** like that getting destroyed during e3 while they rage just like with king k rool, banjo kazooie, steve... I want to see threats about crybabies saying : "SAKURAI BEND THE KNEE TO TOXIC WALUIGI FANS !! **** THIS COMMUNITY AND **** THIS GAME !! I'M GOING BACK TO MELEE"
God I really do hope that he's revealed for e3 as the last character in the fighter pass. It looks like we are going to reach the end of this long saga in 2 weeks and with even more recent merchandises, we're in for a great surprise

Btw, what fight would you do with waluigi first ? Most players will do mario vs luigi vs wario vs waluigi but me personally, I wanted to start with the entire cast of mario party 4 fighting against each other and only waluigi is missing in order to make this fight come true, mario party 4 was part of my childhood in the early 2000s so I'm excited to do this

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It would be absolutely delightful not only to see waluigi finally join the fight, but also to see dumb haters who keep saying that waluigi will never be in smash and ** like that getting destroyed during e3 while they rage just like with king k rool, banjo kazooie, steve... I want to see threats about crybabies saying : "SAKURAI BEND THE KNEE TO TOXIC WALUIGI FANS !! ** THIS COMMUNITY AND **** THIS GAME !! I'M GOING BACK TO MELEE"
God I really do hope that he's revealed for e3 as the last character in the fighter pass. It looks like we are going to reach the end of this long saga in 2 weeks and with even more recent merchandises, we're in for a great surprise

Btw, what fight would you do with waluigi first ? Most players will do mario vs luigi vs wario vs waluigi but me personally, I wanted to start with the entire cast of mario party 4 fighting against each other and only waluigi is missing in order to make this fight come true, mario party 4 was part of my childhood in the early 2000s so I'm excited to do this
Waluigi vs Marth

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
It would be absolutely delightful not only to see waluigi finally join the fight, but also to see dumb haters who keep saying that waluigi will never be in smash and ** like that getting destroyed during e3 while they rage just like with king k rool, banjo kazooie, steve... I want to see threats about crybabies saying : "SAKURAI BEND THE KNEE TO TOXIC WALUIGI FANS !! ** THIS COMMUNITY AND **** THIS GAME !! I'M GOING BACK TO MELEE"

Waluigi vs Ridley. The 2 characters who "couldn't make it into Smash" because of fan rules until they did.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Amazon listing is basically ancient
976B33DD-D036-45BF-8300-F6EB0BE04944.jpeg

However, there is this:
44B6EB8B-3B92-47E5-8C7E-9866EB4D2F8F.jpeg

I'd assume "Super Smash Bros." was added to the product name this month, unless there's any proof of it being changed any earlier. I should mention the Spencers website won't load for me, possibly because I'm in the UK. Smash being in the URL doesn't seem like a big deal to me as the creation estimate predates SSBU's reveal and the Waluigi backlash by 3 months.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Amazon listing is basically ancient
View attachment 317251

However, there is this:
View attachment 317252
I'd assume "Super Smash Bros." was added to the product name this month, unless there's any proof of it being changed any earlier. I should mention the Spencers website won't load for me, possibly because I'm in the UK. Smash being in the URL doesn't seem like a big deal to me as the creation estimate predates SSBU's reveal and the Waluigi backlash by 3 months.
It’s been called “super smash bros” for awhile now. I remember I posted about it back in july of 2019 on discord.

But what does that mean for the latest update estimate?

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It’s been called “super smash bros” for awhile now. I remember I posted about it back in july of 2019 on discord.

But what does that mean for the latest update estimate?
The latest update thing probably doesn't mean much - could be a price change, shipping or copyright details, a graphic design alternation, so on.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I will be extremely baffled if he’s not one of the dlc fighters. Why go through the trouble of making so much merchandise with him on it in recent years and not do anything with him? Merchandise is usually tied in with something, isn’t it?

Banjo got recent merchandise made for him despite the fact that he has been inactive for years. They obviously had to have been doing something with him.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I will be extremely baffled if he’s not one of the dlc fighters. Why go through the trouble of making so much merchandise with him on it in recent years and not do anything with him? Merchandise is usually tied in with something, isn’t it?

Banjo got recent merchandise made for him despite the fact that he has been inactive for years. They obviously had to have been doing something with him.
I'd be baffled if he didn't make it too. But for another reason, if Waluigi somehow doesn't end up being DLC in this game he'd be the only fan request for Ultimate to be completely ignored by Nintendo. Geno at least got a costume. Him being the only fan request to be ignored wouldn't make sense either with how easy he should be to add, no negotiation is necessary for him.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I'd be baffled if he didn't make it too. But for another reason, if Waluigi somehow doesn't end up being DLC in this game he'd be the only fan request for Ultimate to be completely ignored by Nintendo. Geno at least got a costume. Him being the only fan request to be ignored wouldn't make sense either with how easy he should be to add, no negotiation is necessary for him.
Especially since they already admitted to being aware that people want him in smash. And seeing this new controller, that new render and re-releasing an old toy just makes it even more obvious that Nintendo is very aware of the fan demand.

So yeah, I think it’s inevitable that it’s happening, but I will be shocked (and quite disappointed) if he isn’t one of the dlc fighters.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
bro I just hope his moveset has variety and he isn’t just funny purple sportsman
I think he should be fun to play. I’m imagining a moveset that takes inspiration from both Luigi and Wario; goofy and a little cheesy like Luigi yet an overall grotesque theme and an uncanny ability to combo and edgeguard like Wario. Sprinkle in some elements from Mario sports and maybe Mario party here and there, and I think it’d be a pretty good moveset while clearly representing the games he’s predominantly from.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I think he should be fun to play. I’m imagining a moveset that takes inspiration from both Luigi and Wario; goofy and a little cheesy like Luigi yet an overall grotesque theme and an uncanny ability to combo and edgeguard like Wario. Sprinkle in some elements from Mario sports and maybe Mario party here and there, and I think it’d be a pretty good moveset while clearly representing the games he’s predominantly from.
lmao that sounds hilarious but I rly hope he’s more wario-esque than luigish

Last edited:
Top Bottom