• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Ok, but we still don’t know what’s up with the Mario sports trademark?

Gonna be disappointed if they were just hyping this up for a Mario party game.

Last edited:

Ridley888

Smash Rookie
I think Waluigi's new render is unsuitable for use in games such as Mario Party and Mario Sports because the poses are too strange
I'd like to think it's for his main title... I don't know what Nintendo thinks.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Got new Mario Golf: Super Rush news today.

and relevant to the thread, Waluigi's super shot:
I am so excited for this game. Already have it pre-ordered, can’t wait!

It really feels like they’re trying to flesh out Waluigi’s character and personality in some of the more recent sports/party titles, he’s the perfect embodiment of someone who can be charismatic when they want to be (special shot in both aces and golf), and wants to be taken seriously, but ends up being funny and goofy by nature without trying to be the funny guy.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Another Waluigi-related happening;

This is the first time this figure has been re released in stores, following its initial release 6 years ago.
The other 2 figures being re released alongside him are Cat Mario and Cat Luigi, likely to promote SM3DWFury.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

This is the first time this figure has been re released in stores, following its initial release 6 years ago.
OK, now this is getting suspicious... I hate to be a pattern-pointer-outer, but... remember the sudden surge in Banjo merchandise before Banjo's SSBU reveal? There aren't really any other characters in the fighters passes who could be considered "irrelevant" (or at the very least not relevant enough to be marketable) so we have no real basis on whether an increase in merchandise (especially around E3) can mean anything.

Banjo was basically the most open secret in Smash history, with multiple companies who worked with Microsoft on the IP all but admitting they knew about Banjo in Smash. I doubt we'll get a case like with Banjo or Ryu again as Nintendo have clearly become more strict since, considering that... y'know...
131688F6-31A3-4587-BB40-317A6A6319C3.jpeg

That being said, I am seeing similarities between this Waluigi situation and Banjo's. There's been:

official acknowledgement
6B4282F3-0AC0-4901-B3B8-607655DDC623.jpeg

possible NDA shenanigans (keep in mind that Martinet has confessed to not being much of a gamer so he likely doesn't understand much about the BtS of Smash, however if Waluigi was in I can gaurantee he'd know and be under NDA)
EDFBC99F-2F4B-4D54-AC61-91D75641DC78.jpeg
9857C2F8-08F8-4198-B3ED-1651326A2D4D.jpeg

Possible leaks (let's not forget those Steve shenanigans with Vergeben, not saying Paraleak is inherently real, but rather to keep it in mind and not disregard it yet)
A0D1CDAB-B1BF-421C-AE89-DA6ECCB9AABE.jpeg

And of course, merch

I cannot stress enough that this is merely food for thought. This stuff absolutely contributes to Waluigi's chances IMO (if they were trying to cash in on his general popularity rather than Smash I feel they would've released the merch years ago) - however, it does not confirm him and you shouldn't get your hopes up too high - we don't want to end up like the Geno fans.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
OK, now this is getting suspicious... I hate to be a pattern-pointer-outer, but... remember the sudden surge in Banjo merchandise before Banjo's SSBU reveal? There aren't really any other characters in the fighters passes who could be considered "irrelevant" (or at the very least not relevant enough to be marketable) so we have no real basis on whether an increase in merchandise (especially around E3) can mean anything.

Banjo was basically the most open secret in Smash history, with multiple companies who worked with Microsoft on the IP all but admitting they knew about Banjo in Smash. I doubt we'll get a case like with Banjo or Ryu again as Nintendo have clearly become more strict since, considering that... y'know...
View attachment 315977

That being said, I am seeing similarities between this Waluigi situation and Banjo's. There's been:

official acknowledgement
View attachment 315978

possible NDA shenanigans (keep in mind that Martinet has confessed to not being much of a gamer so he likely doesn't understand much about the BtS of Smash, however if Waluigi was in I can gaurantee he'd know and be under NDA)
View attachment 315979View attachment 315980

Possible leaks (let's not forget those Steve shenanigans with Vergeben, not saying Paraleak is inherently real, but rather to keep it in mind and not disregard it yet)
View attachment 315982

And of course, merch

I cannot stress enough that this is merely food for thought. This stuff absolutely contributes to Waluigi's chances IMO (if they were trying to cash in on his general popularity rather than Smash I feel they would've released the merch years ago) - however, it does not confirm him and you shouldn't get your hopes up too high - we don't want to end up like the Geno fans.
I’ve been cautiously paying attention to this sort of stuff for awhile now, and I’ve gotta say guys I think something is happening for Waluigi. Whether that’s smash or something else, I don’t know, but SOMETHING is likely happening. At first when there was just the controller reveal I was suspicious, but now with all the other things that have happened I’d say it’s time to prepare ourselves- not just because of what has happened/is happening, but also because of WHEN; right before E3, where we will definitely see 1 smash fighter revealed, possibly even 2. There’s a small chance that this is just a random cash grab move by several official merchandisers at once, but that seems really coincidental especially given the timing. Tagging papagenos papagenos because I think there has been some solid speculation going on in this thread, specifically the previous post by Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario

Edit- also wanted to say to keep an eye on the Mario party Waluigi amiibo. If that gets restocked as well then I think it might be a done deal.

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 315977

official acknowledgement
View attachment 315978

View attachment 315979View attachment 315980

View attachment 315982

And of course, merch

Wow, this is a great post bud. I'm just surprised with how much Banjo and Waluigi have in common regarding speculation (They're also both my most wanted fighters so thats kinda funny). Obviously can't get my hopes up as it could be nothing but hey maybe history is gonna repeat itself...

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, there has been so much Waluigi stuff going on this month. First the controller, then the mysterious new render and now this.

Either this is all just a coincidence or we’re gonna get something for Waluigi at E3 (Hopefully it’s smash). All of these things happening around the corner of E3 is a little suspicious. I hope this is another Banjo situation.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Even though I think Waluigi will the be more than likely happening bonus fighter, I could definitely see something big Waluigi related being announced at E3 (a Waluigi solo game, maybe Wario Land that has Waluigi as player 2, or just another spin off that has Waluigi in a prominent role like in Mario DDR), and that will then tie in to when he is revealed after the fighters pass 2 as the bonus final dlc fighter.

This is just what I'm hoping and speculating of course, but regardless what happens, I do hope at the very least means Waluigi is finally getting a big break in some way

walugurl

Smash Journeyman

The other 2 figures being re released alongside him are Cat Mario and Cat Luigi, likely to promote SM3DWFury.
I decided to go to the world of nintendo reddit page just to see what people thought of this. And someone said that the 4 inch toys usually gets a re-released 2-3 years, but it’s been 6 years and it’s just now getting re-released. They thought that was surprising.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Another Waluigi related thing happen again huh? Now they’re advertising Mario golf super rush Using him? Jesus, this is driving me crazy! We’re getting so close to E3 and Nintendo just keeps teasing us with Waluigi. This better build up to something cause I’m trying to remain calm about all of this and Nintendo won’t let me!

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Another Waluigi related thing happen again huh? Now they’re advertising Mario golf super rush Using him? Jesus, this is driving me crazy! We’re getting so close to E3 and Nintendo just keeps teasing us with Waluigi. This better build up to something cause I’m trying to remain calm about all of this and Nintendo won’t let me!
Lol it wouldn't surprise me if nintendo is just playing with our heart, it's not like they've never did that before. But whether they like him or not (probably not), they have to realize that waluigi could be a cash cow and that should be the most important thing for any company : making money

Also, among us is asking nintendo to make a waluigi game, purple is kinda sus : https://twitter.com/AmongUsGame/status/1397337714257657857?s=20

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
It is definitely confirmed that there is only 2 fighters left so the bonus fighter rumor is officially dead https://twitter.com/Sephazon/status/1397602005892222976?s=20

All we can do now is hope that waluigi is one of them, the problem imo is that he has a better chance to join in as a bonus than a character in the pass. But since we are now 100% getting just 2 characters, it's kinda worrying.
If he's really in, he would probably show at e3 but I'm not even sure anymore. If not, maybe he would be revealed as the 11th character later in the year and if not, well it was nice while it lasted.
I now think there is more chance of him getting his own game announced rather than him announced for ssbu during e3 presentation. Who knows, maybe his own game is going to be announced at e3 and then later in the year, he would be announced for ultimate but I believe that his own game announced is probably more likely that his entry in smash

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think Waluigi can still be one of the last two, we still don’t know what the purpose of the Mario sports trademark is. He could totally come with Mario sport related content.
I think Waluigi is pretty likely, but I'm not gonna say he's certain. I maintain my 50/50 stance. I wouldn't be surprised if he got in, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I don't think the bonus fighter thing is officially dead, I still haven't forgotten how Sakurai back in the Wii U era flat out said that zero suit Samus wasn't going to be joining the roster.... Only to immediately reveal her after.
I'm not saying that the bonus fighter is still 100% happening, but I'm taking Sakurai's comments with a grain of salt, especially cu, when you think about it, why wouldn't he say this? If an unannounced bonus fighter is happening, naturally he would want to keep everyone's hopes down so that when it is revealed it just blows everyone away. Smash has always had surprises and broken expectations like that

Once against, not 100% sure it's happening, but I won't say it's dead just yet, knowing the stuff I mentioned.

However, is probably still best to keep expectations low for now, cus even though I don't believe this is the definitive death of a bonus character, its definitely still a blow against it happening.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I don't think the bonus fighter thing is officially dead, I still haven't forgotten how Sakurai back in the Wii U era flat out said that zero suit Samus wasn't going to be joining the roster.... Only to immediately reveal her after.
I'm not saying that the bonus fighter is still 100% happening, but I'm taking Sakurai's comments with a grain of salt, especially cu, when you think about it, why wouldn't he say this? If an unannounced bonus fighter is happening, naturally he would want to keep everyone's hopes down so that when it is revealed it just blows everyone away. Smash has always had surprises and broken expectations like that

Once against, not 100% sure it's happening, but I won't say it's dead just yet, knowing the stuff I mentioned.

However, is probably still best to keep expectations low for now, cus even though I don't believe this is the definitive death of a bonus character, its definitely still a blow against it happening.
Yeah, 5 seconds later, the two events aren't really comparable

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I think Waluigi can still be one of the last two, we still don’t know what the purpose of the Mario sports trademark is. He could totally come with Mario sport related content.
yeah the mario sports trademark thing is still suspicious but what if it was just for mario golf and for other sport games that have yet to be announced ? it's probably not the case but you can expect anything with nintendo and their questionable moves these days

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
yeah the mario sports trademark thing is still suspicious but what if it was just for mario golf and for other sport games that have yet to be announced ? it's probably not the case but you can expect anything with nintendo and their questionable moves these days
I don’t think we’re getting anymore sport games anytime soon. Mario golf would just use the Mario golf trademark anyway. It’s very possible that it could be used for his challenger pack, example being his spirit board could be called “Mario sports”.

Which would imply he’s not a bonus fighter. I truly believe this trademark isn’t for an actual Mario game, have been since it was revealed. And because of that I have doubts for a bonus fighter happening. Honestly, I hope this is true.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think we’re getting anymore sport games anytime soon. Mario golf would just use the Mario golf trademark anyway. It’s very possible that it could be used for his challenger pack, example being his spirit board could be called “Mario sports”.

Which would imply he’s not a bonus fighter. I truly believe this trademark isn’t for an actual Mario game, have been since it was revealed. And because of that I have doubts for a bonus fighter happening. Honestly, I hope this is true.
Yeah it's not probably for a sport game or even for a game called "mario sports ___" since we are already have mario golf. I mean, this game is not even released yet so why would they announce a new sport game now when mario golf has yet to be released ? It won't make any sense... and that's why it's not impossible

I just hope that if it's used for his challenger pack, it won't just be about sport games like I hope that his stage won't be just a tennis court or something but rather waluigi's island with some mario party and wario land music or even waluigi pinball would be fine. same for his moveset, I hope that he wouldn't be just the "sports/spin-off guy"

This Mario Sports copyright talk just reminded me: that's another similarity between Banjo and Waluigi.
what do you mean ?

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Banjo had a trademark renewal back in 2018 and then was revealed for smash at E3 2019. We got a trademark for Mario sports (something Waluigi is related too) last year and now here we are speculating over recent Waluigi happenings just before E3 2021. Banjo fans went through a similar situation.
Did they released various banjo kazooie merchandise (controllers, figures...) before their e3 reveal ?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Did they released various banjo kazooie merchandise (controllers, figures...) before their e3 reveal ?
Yep. There was a Cable Guys. a loot subscription service had some Banjo merch (that they quickly removed from the site after making a post hinting at Banjo in Smash, I have no clue if the Banjo stuff actually shipped), a Vinyl album, and LOTS of Fangamer stuff like plushies and pillows.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
waluigi's inclusion is super obvious so I already preordered the themed pro controller
Yeah, I don’t want to get my hopes up too high but with all that we have speculated from the E3 outcry from years ago and Reggie’s acknowledgement of how our desires would be heard, all the way up until now where right before E3 this year we have tons of new Waluigi things happening and even official merch. This really feels like a Banjo situation where if you think about it for long enough, it just makes sense- I won’t be surprised at all if he’s revealed at E3.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I feel like as we have drawn closer to E3/the end of pass 2 more and more deconfirmations/hits keep piling up, while more and more things that look good for Waluigi keep piling up as well. In terms of likelihood I feel like Waluigi has quickly climbed the list of characters. Not guaranteed, but I think he should be a front runner in predictions, if those predictions are made based upon current (and some past) speculation.

As others have said, I’m definitely very nervous and excited for E3. I think it might finally happen.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I feel like as we have drawn closer to E3/the end of pass 2 more and more deconfirmations/hits keep piling up, while more and more things that look good for Waluigi keep piling up as well. In terms of likelihood I feel like Waluigi has quickly climbed the list of characters. Not guaranteed, but I think he should be a front runner in predictions, if those predictions are made based upon current (and some past) speculation.

As others have said, I’m definitely very nervous and excited for E3. I think it might finally happen.
What exactly are those decomfirmations?

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
What exactly are those decomfirmations?
Honestly I don’t remember all of them, but papagenos YouTube covers them pretty well. Just scrolling through his channel and looking at the titles would give a pretty good summary. But in general most of them deal with NDA shenanigans (or rather, lack thereof), or Mii costume reveals. Examples: Ryu Hyabusa (NDA shenanigans), Geno (Mii costume)

of course these aren’t hard deconfirms, but it definitely hurts their perceived chances in speculation quite a bit.

Edit- you might be able to find a compiled list of all of the “deconfirmations” somewhere as well. I just know that there have been a decent amount of them in late 2020-early 2021, and none of them have been Waluigi lol

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Here's a reminder that Waluigi's popularity was acknowledged by not one, but two presidents of Nintendo of America.

(original tweet was a Waluigi video talking about him getting his own game)

It would shock me if they didn't add him with how clearly aware Nintendo is that people want him.

Last edited:

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Here's a reminder that Waluigi's popularity was acknowledged by not one, but two presidents of Nintendo of America.

(original tweet was a Waluigi video talking about him getting his own game)

It would shock me if they didn't add him with how clearly aware Nintendo is that people want him.
I wonder what people over nintendo of japan think about that. Noj is more important

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
E3 is a western event, right? Waluigi would be perfect to reveal since he’s a popular western pick.
I believe so. If we're to believe the "Steve and Sephiroth were intended for E3" theory then it wouldn't be too surprising to see Waluigi revealed alongside an anime-esque or otherwise heavily eastern fighter following a pattern with Banjo and Hero, so as much as I hate to diss my Bandi-boy, Crash's possible disconfirmation courtesty of TfB's interview and Lex Lang may be in Waluigi's favour. It is still possible the 'Merica-pleasing fighter, should this pattern be taken as fact, could be a rootin-tootin-gun-em-up-mecha-bloodguy instead of a lovable scrimblo bimblo, but we'll see

Last edited:
Top Bottom