• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A 'new' small AT - JLUSC.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Jump Lag USmash Cancel.

USmash out of shield has 28 frames of lag, but with this little AT USmash starts up a bit faster.

To do it: Instead of regularly USmashing OoS (not that anyone does it), jump first, then quickly USmash. Since jumping cancels shield drop lag, Ganon will go straight into his jump animation, and, then cancel 1/3rd of it with USmash. So, instead of the 7 frames of jump lag, Ganon only gets (roughly) 2.33 frames.

The 28 frames of start-up tones down to around 23 frames. Which is actually quite good since there are some moves in brawl which players will use against you in competitive play that will lag about that long on shield. Though, it would've been a even better OoS option if it weren't for the fact that it has no range at all.

I think this is also possible with DSmash, but I'm not really sure. Someone should test it. If it turns out to work, we'll have a 18 frame attack with incredible range OoS (the airdodge out of the second hit will be a huge drawback though).

TP

Smash Master
This is common knowledge... and it does not work with Dsmash.

It is very helpful. In theory, you can cut out all 7 jump frames, or perhaps only 6. Either way, you are right that a small speed boost can go a long way.

:034:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I haven't seen anyone use this out of shield. Don't get it mixed up without using the shield.

Anyways, doesn't really matter.

If it only was somehow possible to cancel the jump lag into a jab.. or any other move.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
That's a 'Jump Canceled Usmash', if I'm not mistaking.
Flying Dutchman makes good use of those.

I'd use it to start a "Usmash-Combo" at low %'s.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Kalm...I do this ALL THE TIME.

Not with Ganondorf, but with Mario.

This is reeeeeealy common knowledge. You can only cancel your shield with U-smash anyway. And besides, it's better if you do it with Tap Jump.

There is no lag for canceling your shield with Up-B or Up-smash btw.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I knew you could do this, but I don't understand how it saves you frames.

Usmash directly out of shield cuts the shield drop frames doesn't it? You're telling me that's not true, and I experience some kind of drop lag?

Well, I'll do it this way - when you play Link you have to learn to do jump-cancelled Usmash and Up-B if you want it, since you don't have tap jump -but still confused. I guess this move can replace shield grabbing against nubs who use weak, laggy attacks on shield.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I dash jump-cancel up-smash in lieu of Ganon's horrible hyphen smash and non-existent DACUS.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I knew you could do this, but I don't understand how it saves you frames.
Because you jump Oos and then cancel the jump into an Usmash, instead of dropping your shield and then Usmash.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Because you jump Oos and then cancel the jump into an Usmash, instead of dropping your shield and then Usmash.
But you can simply use a USmash directly out of shield rather than risk fumbling some intermediary jumping input.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
But you can simply use a USmash directly out of shield rather than risk fumbling some intermediary jumping input.
Well what they're saying is that to do an Up Smash OoS a jump input is already required, so you two are saying the same thing except in different ways. You HAVE to jump in order to upsmash/up b OoS, it's just that it happens so fast people can't really tell, but it happens automatically, especially with tapjump on. To do it with tap jump off, all you need to do is while holding shield, press X/Y with your right thumb and then right away up c-stick with your left hand since you'll be stationary anyway. The worst that could happen would be a fullhop or Up Air OoS, which aren't that bad anyway.

Top Bottom