• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Age in AZ (Japanese Ruleset)

k9.

Smash Ace
Dang that would be sick but i was just going to tell zenix to go but, he has other plans.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Yeah soul caliber sucks **** now. **** that ****.

Anyone want to play a mans game? I got the new melty blood :D

:phone:

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
I am Relaying a message about we should do unity rule set for this tournament to train ourselves for the socal regional thats coming up.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=132495&page=2

just cause, y'know, mk ban is silly

whoops wrong thread but still worth the post I guess.
The west is pretty strongly against the ban, we should all unite and do Japanese ruleset if we are already united this much. Texas has some TO's that won't ban him either. (Maybe more people than I thought realize the stupidity of our ruleset)

Jane

Smash Hero
here's a slightly more detailed japan ruleset

The Japanese Ruleset
1. 3 stocks
2. 10-minute timer (Pools matches may run on an 8-minute timer)
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be best-of-5)
4. Double elimination
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Pause is turned off

-----------Limiting Rules/Bans-----------
1. No modified controllers
2. No using infinites for stalling purposes
3. No bugs of any kind
4. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
5. Ledge grab limit of 50
6. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Rule 6:
When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage.
[There is one other exception, but I don't understand it. I'll update this once I get a clarification from RAIN, or if someone else can figure out what it means from the Japanese version.]

-----------Set Format-----------
Game 1:
1. Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
2. Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
4. Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)

Game 2 (and so on):
1. Loser may select controller port
2. Winner may ban a stage from the Counterpick list
3. Loser selects one of the remaining stages
4. Winner chooses character
5. Loser chooses character
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided

-----------Stages-----------
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

-----------Timeouts-----------
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
1. Number of ledgegrabs (if one player exceeds 50 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser)
2. Number of remaining stocks
3. Amount of damage percent
4. If stocks and damage percent identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock.

source: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=194378

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Alright everyone, I have edited the OP with the detailed Japanese Ruleset. Please familiarize yourself with the new ruleset as well as other rules and info in the OP.

I have also listed Doubles as our side event, it's what most people want.

Also, please remember to bring set-ups. There are 4 tv's at the venue already, but there is plenty of room for more. Extension cords are kind of a necessity at this venue in some cases, please bring those as well. We'll probably need some Wii's and Brawl, bring those too. The more set-ups, the more time we can play other/better games after the tourney.

Who else can I put down for bringing set-ups and such?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I will bring a TV and a melee set up and 2 extension cords.

I'll enter brawl, but I'll be taking every opportunity to play a better game.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
It's interesting seeing all of the different "Japanese rule sets." Every thread I read says something different on what the rule set is. The list I posted and the one Jonny posted vary a lot from each other. One of those Zips need to clear it up for us.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Since there are variations, I don't think anyone would blame us for making our own amendments (besides MK being legal and 3 stages since those seem to be the selling point) like time limit and such. Let's just fill in the blanks ourselves a bit and it'll be fine

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
If there are more people that can bring Wii's and Brawl let us know. Right now, we are at 3, with probably about 8 TVs.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
The time limit is actually a staple of the Japanese ruleset as well. I'll write up something when I get a to a computer.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
The point of a ten minute timer isn't just "to end the match if it gets too long." Clearly, that is an advantage, but that holds true to any time limit. The difference is that, with ten minutes, people are much less likely to actually run the clock. With eight minutes, at low percentage 1 stock six minutes in, timing out the opponent is an extremely realistic, and viable, strategy. When you increase the timer to ten, those last four minutes are a great deterrent to stalling. I'm pretty sure the large majority (everyone but the absolute gayest) does not consider timing someone out when they see there are four minutes left on the clock. On the other hand, it takes a much less sinister person to run around for only two minutes to win dollars.

That's at least how I see it. The other point is, there have been "two" major rulesets. The ones used in America, and the ones used in Japan. It should be evident, from the fact that we aren't using the American ruleset, that we believe the Japanese and their reasoning is more logical than what has been used in America. I see no reason to change a staple of the ruleset devised through their logic. It's not like they picked ten minutes because it seemed like a nice number. I'd trust their decision on this one, as we are doing it for the rest of the rules.

I feel like this post was a complete mess, but I'm too lazy to fix it up. so yeah 10 miunte timer cool

Jane

Smash Hero
i agree with yard. lets keep the 10 minute timer, if for nothing else to preserve the sanctity (lol) of the japanese ruleset.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I also like the idea of 10 minutes, I just recall some people saying they didn't but I don't care too much one way or the other.

We should make sure Kurtis plays Rob next tourney so they can have a set that doesn't time out lolol

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
rave remix- 1 wii
me/steven- 1 wii
shawn- 1 wii
moo/airvault -1 wii

10 minute timer= legit as heck

Side event regular doubles?

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
I am totally cool with whatever you guys want, but I am going to present my defense. Timing someone out is a completely viable, logical, and smart tactic if you can pull it off. There is absolutely nothing wrong or gay about it. You are taking advantage of an opponents weakness just like with any other strategy (i.e. the enemy being too cautious to approach). It is as much of a mental playstyle as anything else in the game. I think the 8 minutes should stay, and I think that the lengthy time limit is the one part of the ruleset that the Japanese overdid, but whatever, its totally fine if you guys want to keep it. I am sure I can run down a 10 minute timer as well :D.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Brawl Doubles is something that I legitimately find interesting, and entertaining, quad MK notwithstanding. I love niche mid/low tier play in doubles.

In other words, I'm totally ****ing down for Brawl Doubles.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh, I just figured out that I am taking my midterms the week directly after this tournament...I may not be able to go. I will still try though. I will update more when I have my schedule more finalized.

I really hope I can go, especially to play some SCV.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'll be pre-regging for Nyte on the 3rd, so I proably won't have enough money to enter, LOL. Still gonna show up to chill/play some friendlies though. :p

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Who will I play SCV with if you don't show up, Curtis?

Who?

Everyone should take a page from TDM's Book on Studying for School, by never studying.

Top Bottom