• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A message to Smash Tournament hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ya know... just say you are doing an experimental ruleset and voila! sticky granted...

just make sure you gather data about the changes of the ruleset you made though. And if the data is good, unity might just adapt it.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
the only reason unity isn't ALREADY overthrown is because they are catering to a majority, despite whether it's right or wrong. Having a majority backing will NOT get overthrown, but saying SUCKS FOR YOU to the rest of the minority is sure to be a way to have some really dedicated haters. ****ing corrupt system this entire thing is. You would at least get rid of a HUGE CHUNK OF THE HATE if you didn't try to FORCE people into your ways (sticky rule, even though it's not a huge thing, it is still a punishment/lack of reward for not following you like obedient dogs) but nope, not good enough for the EMPIRE
I'm not surprised that you, being the most successful MK main ever, are *****ing about this issue

Battlecow

Play to Win
One thing that no one can argue with is that M2K is getting ****ing screwed. He played to win- and then got the rug pulled out from under him.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I'd put the statistics backing up the MK ban against any statistics for any character ban in any other fighting game.
What statistics?

The fact that the best character is played by the best player and therefore, being the best character, wins? Welcome to the real world.

Or do you mean the votes of random people on this forum that said "We want this character banned" in which case you literally have just random people saying what they want without giving valid reasons.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That's still a pretty selfish reason to ban a character. In most games(aka, everything except pokemon) a character is banned because they are legitimately broken. Voting to ban a character for any other reason that "This character is actually broken, needs to be banned" is going to be a selfish reason.

I want the game to be more fun.
I want the game to be more diverse.
I dont want the game to devolve into ledge camping.

If you dont like the way the game plays, rather than banning a character to make it the way you want, maybe you just shouldnt play the game.
Define to me what is broken objectively, Can you do it without reaching into subjectivity? I do not think anyone can.

the only reason unity isn't ALREADY overthrown is because they are catering to a majority, despite whether it's right or wrong. Having a majority backing will NOT get overthrown, but saying SUCKS FOR YOU to the rest of the minority is sure to be a way to have some really dedicated haters. ****ing corrupt system this entire thing is. You would at least get rid of a HUGE CHUNK OF THE HATE if you didn't try to FORCE people into your ways (sticky rule, even though it's not a huge thing, it is still a punishment/lack of reward for not following you like obedient dogs) but nope, not good enough for the EMPIRE
It's not that big of a deal unless you host a national/large regional for experimenting. Unless it's mostly the MK issue.

is brawl the only game ever to essentially get rid of their best player as a community?

weird.
No it's not, look at Naruto Rev 3 and other fighting games with a banned character.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Pink Reaper said:
What statistics?

The fact that the best character is played by the best player and therefore, being the best character, wins? Welcome to the real world.

Or do you mean the votes of random people on this forum that said "We want this character banned" in which case you literally have just random people saying what they want without giving valid reasons.

And the best part is that all of this is taking place even though tournaments have done the following just to keep MK legal:
  • Instituted LGL's of varying severity or banned planking entirely
  • Banned Meta Knights IDC
  • Some tournaments even ban 'scrooging'
  • Banned multiple stages, MK mains many want to see even more of the game stages banned just to keep him around
  • Some want timer increased just to accommodate MK camping (this fortunately hasn't happened yet so consider it a moot point)

I now invite you to pull up the statistics for the so called 'Broken' characters in other fighting games that have been banned. Good luck finding any sort of comparable evidence.

I asked myself a question: if MK represents 19% of character selections now, and this number is increasing...at what point in 2012 or 2013, when MK reaches 25%? 30%? 35%? will the other 25% of people see the problem. We likely won't have Smash 4 out for at least 2 more years, possibly much longer, so I'm thinking long-term when I switched to being in favor of the ban (I use to be a leader of anti-ban, btw).

Now you can look at all that, or you could go with this side, the leader of the anti-ban movement:

Mew2King said:
the only reason unity isn't ALREADY overthrown is because they are catering to a majority, despite whether it's right or wrong. Having a majority backing will NOT get overthrown, but saying SUCKS FOR YOU to the rest of the minority is sure to be a way to have some really dedicated haters. ****ing corrupt system this entire thing is.
The corrupt system is apparently the one that listens to 75% of the community. The corrupt system is apparently the one that listens to the vast majority of top players. The corrupt system is apparently the one that looks at statistical evidence from hundreds, even thousands, of tournaments. The corrupt system is apparently the one that no longer ignores the strongest, most dominant, constant, movement in the Brawl community for years. The corrupt system is apparently the one that many TO's are apart of and pooling their resources toward.

That

Or is the corrupt system just anyone who doesn't listen to Mew2King?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
That's great AZ, we all know you want MK banned and have tried to do that for a long time, and we all know by now that you love having a million stages on. You went as far as MAKING DELPHINO PLAZA A STARTER. I told you guys it was a bad idea at MLG (and in general rulesets) to make all those ridiculous stages on, but none of you would listen to me at ALL. Every time I'd say to make rules which make the game better like increasing the timer (which I've already explained many many times why this is GOOD and not bad) and getting rid of most of those stages is a good idea, but how am i supposed to convince someone to get rid of RC and Brinstar for example when you guys even wanted delphino a starter. As far as LGL goes, I would go as far as to say that not only should it exist in brawl because of SEVERAL characters, but IT SHOULD BE DONE IN MELEE TOO, because of jigglypuff and possibly sheik (probably not sheik, but for puff it should be).

wow @ your edit, that just means you're screwing over 1/5th of the community. Yeah keep catering to the majority, it's a great way to make sure you stay all powerful (it really is sadly), just know you're doing the wrong thing for bad reasons, it's unjustified, and you're completely screwing that minority over.

edit - oh yeah back in like 2008 and some of 09 you were anti ban, forgot, but it feels like a really really long time that you've been pushing to ban MK and i think it is because you love having a billion stages on. Still though your means of doing this are corrupt and terrible, and you should really remove your sticky rule.

edit again - STOP TALKING ABOUT IDC. It's the most USELESS THING EVER. It shouldn't be banned PERIOD. I've not even been able to do it for more than 15 seconds when I'm doing well, and those people that claim they can do it for a long time are lying. It shouldn't even be banned, you have a rule against it for no reason, and has NEVER ONCE BEEN AN ISSUE. It's like banning Jiggs rising stall in melee, or mewtwo's SOUL STUNNER from melee which can NEVER HAPPEN and would NEVER CHANGE MATCHES, EVER. You just want to try to make the biggest list possible by any means necessary.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I'm going to double post just to stress this: what do you think people are going to say when you guys ask "should we ban the best character who beats your favorite character?". 80% OF PEOPLE BENEFIT BY SAYING YES TO THAT. THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULDN'T DECIDE BANNING A CHARACTER ON SOMETHING SO STUPID LIKE VOTES. (I don't know as much on this but I believe that this is why america is failing right now too, because votes matter so much). In fact if I wasn't around, MK wouldn't have won many big events AT ALL. Want to know why tyrant is so dominant on WC? I STAYED WITH HIM A MONTH STRAIGHT IN 2009 and 2010 PLAYING WITH HIM ALL THE TIME

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So MK should be unbanned.
More stages should be banned.
The timer should be increased.

And the Infinite Dimension Cape, which allows MK to be both invisible and invulnerable for an indefinite period of time, should be made legal again.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
To those who are anti-ban: at what point would a character prove bannable, then? Concrete specifics, please. Not just "Needs to be better than MK is now."

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
And at what point would a character prove bannable, then?
There is no unwritten law for this, it's up to each and every person. Clearly the 75% or so that voted ban feel he has reached said point.

@AZ - that was like one of the best posts I've ever seen

Edit: Shadic didn't say to anti-banners when I answered his question, I thought he meant in general lol

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
There is no unwritten law for this, it's up to each and every person. Clearly the 75% or so that voted ban feel he has reached said point.
I was referring to the people (Such as M2K who are anti-ban.)

If Metaknight isn't too good of a character (Or hasn't yet proven to be.) who is? Or, how much of the metagame to they have to be dominating?

Edit: Editwar with Chibo.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
The corrupt system is apparently the one that listens to 75% of the community. The corrupt system is apparently the one that listens to the vast majority of top players. The corrupt system is apparently the one that looks at statistical evidence from hundreds, even thousands, of tournaments. The corrupt system is apparently the one that no longer ignores the strongest, most dominant, constant, movement in the Brawl community for years. The corrupt system is apparently the one that many TO's are apart of and pooling their resources toward.

That

Or is the corrupt system just anyone who doesn't listen to Mew2King?
YOU BASE things off of POLLS where ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WHO WANTS TO DO BETTER IS GOING TO VOTE IN A WAY THAT BENEFITS THEM. THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO DECIDE IF A CHARACTER DESERVES TO BE BANNED FROM TOURNAMENTS~80% benefit from this and ~20% get -EXTREMELY- ****ED OVER

Everything you just said in that paragraph is just repeating over and over that you just are catering to which side has MORE PEOPLE, disregarding the obvious motives any person who cares about themself (which is almost everybody). How in the world you can think that THAT is a good, fair way to settle if A CHARACTER DESERVES TO BE BANNED is beyond me. Oh wait, no it isn't. IT'S A GREAT WAY TO STAY IN POWER

Mew2King

King of the Mews
So MK should be unbanned.
More stages should be banned.
The timer should be increased.

And the Infinite Dimension Cape, which allows MK to be both invisible and invulnerable for an indefinite period of time, should be made legal again.
Yes, Yes, and Yes

MK should be legal, RC and Brinstar (the gayest 2 by far, but if you don't agree on rainbow then you should at least see brinstar's stupidity)should be banned. THIS APPLIES TO BOTH MELEE AND BRAWL.

The timer being increased HELPS THE GAME AS A WHOLE.

You all look DOWN upon timeouts, and games go to time so much more often than in Melee

you base your timer off of Melee's 8 minute timer, when in fact MATCHES IN BRAWL TAKE TWICE AS LONG AS MELEE MATCHES, so the timer should be AT LEAST 10 minutes

Infinite cape HAS NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM, EVER. That is some made up nonsense with a rule against it when it doesn't deserve to be. It's just like banning Jiggs rising pound in melee. It shouldn't be banned, AND HAS ALSO NEVER EVEN BEEN AN ISSUE BEFORE, EVER

Japan is already way ahead of us with the stage list and timer. U.S. should use them as an example

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
M2K, everything is opinion. There is no factual commandments given down to us by Sakurai at the burning bush on what statistics to follow when banning a character.

You going to all the TOs and doing what you can to get them to keep MK legal through bribes and debate is just bringing people to your side and opinion.

You complain about how following the majority is such a bad thing, but it's the exact same thing you're attempting. When deciding the outcome of any rule or debate, it's about who agrees with what side more coming down to decision. When there is no factual infallible guideline, it resorts to debating and discussion. Especially in the world of Smash where success is basically determined by a healthy tournament scene with attendance and stream viewership, majority is key.

Lets say such a majority of people wanted MK legal. Chances are he wouldn't be banned. And yet with your logic, we should be able to ban him anyway if following the majority isn't how things should be done. It's not just a majority that wants him banned, it's 75% now. That is insane. People usually put super-majority restrictions in place in voting cases to prevent problems of a majority of people ganging up on polls, super-majority being 66%. The MK preference has shattered even super-majority.

Remember that tournaments are not just the top 8 or so. Without every entrant, without every pro, without every scrub, without every new attendee, without every spectator, the Smash community would be nothing. Just because you don't take the time out of your day to notice/remember the name of a player who has never placed top 5 or can benefit you directly doesn't mean they aren't important. Tournaments must appeal to everyone, and there's no better way than to look at majority statistics to an extent.

And if anyone wants to pull the top player argument:

Or with the way trends are going, I'm sure we can not ban him, wait 6 months, wait for more outcry, repeat the same process, and have this debate again with 85% of the public on the ban side.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
@ chibo - No what I AM TRYING TO DO is SAVE THE game from what YOU GUYS are doing, and to save myself as well since he's the only character I play, and there is no reason that he deserves to be banned simply because you gathered a group of same minded people to decide WE HAVE THE POWER, and we are going to ask people "should we make tournaments easier for you by banning MK" and obviously the %ages will be on your side.

@ bionic, If you think timeouts happen in japan often with a 10 minute timer, imagine how much MORE OFTEN it would be with 8 minutes. You guys should have listened to me a long time ago, and just put the timer at 10 minutes or more (I'm actually thinking more like 12 but 10 is okay too). If someone times out with 10 minutes, they deserve it a lot more than only doing it for 8 minutes. It's A LOT harder to do. Good for them that they are smart enough to realize that 8 minute timer is ludicrous.

The point is, 10 minutes is simply a very nice improvement to 8 minutes, and should have been implemented as the STANDARD long ago. I've explained this issue in detail many times but if you don't understand it I can gladly explain it again. MELEE Timer is 8 minutes, and Brawl lasts TWICE as long as Melee. There is no reason they deserve the same timer.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
To those who are anti-ban: at what point would a character prove bannable, then? Concrete specifics, please. Not just "Needs to be better than MK is now."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy1EJtce1fI

or even more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4TqMFemY

Meta Knight CAN be beaten. It happened in the past, and it will happen again in the future.

A character is broken if he cant be beaten by any other character in the game. And it gets even worse, if that character cant be beaten on a constistent base, meaning that the outcome of a mirror match is "random", and therefore the Top Level metagame becomes uncompetitive. All of his moves are so broken, that every match will just end in Spamming them, without any thought.
That is a broken character to me.

M2K manages to nearly never loose any MK ditto, which shows, that it a) takes skill to use that character b) you just cant mindlessly spam moves.
But M2K, just like Ally, also lost to several other character in the past. If the best of the best, cant win all the time with the -how you say- obviously broken character, then how the hell do you want to claim that Meta Knight is broken?

You are acting like MK cant be beaten, which just isnt true...
America just have a mindset problem, because they take playing to win not only way too seriously, but also in a wrong way. Just like religious fanatatics.
You dont have to go MK to have a chance at winning.
You can also be the best in the world with ZSS, you just need to have enough skill.
A big mistake of USA was it, to release a tier list very soon (Way too soon), because of that, many people that mained LT characters began a) to blame their characters for losing
and b) started a High Tier (Mostly its MK because "if I drop my main, I can use the #1 anyway").
Your Country overrated characters, and underrated player skill.
That is your problem. And youre even strengthen that with Tier Lists, Ranking etc.
All that stuff, just to discuss, instead of actually getting better.

Meta Knight is semi-broken / borderline broken / grey area / or whatever you want to call it. But if a character is not truely broken, he shouldnt be banned "officially", thats just stupid and extremely scrubby. Nothing wrong with doing MK banned tournaments. Just like doing MT or LT tournaments. No problem. But the Main Focus should stay on a Metagame that includes MK.

@AZ: Some statisctics for you.
Who won Apex?
- A Falco
Who won MLG?
- A Diddy
Who dominates Europe?
- Martha
Who dominates Japan?
- Olimar & ICs
Doesnt seem like an OP character to me, if he doesnt win everything.

Europe is on your side Jason ;)
Too bad it doesnt help you that much :(

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Meta Knight is semi-broken / borderline broken / grey area / or whatever you want to call it. But if a character is not truely broken, he shouldnt be banned "officially", thats just stupid and extremely scrubby.

@AZ: Some statisctics for you.
Who won Apex?
- A Falco
Who won MLG?
- A Diddy
Who dominates Europe?
- Martha
Who dominates Japan?
- Olimar & ICs
Doesnt seem like an OP character to me, if he doesnt win everything.
see I don't even think he's broken, I honestly just think (and WATCHED it unfold from BBR years ago) the rules for this game are flawed and benefit him way too much. I'm not even sure if he's the best character on neutrals tbch. Diddy ICs and Olimar are contenders for the best on neutrals with him, but in America (especially east coast) we happen to have the BEST 4 MK players (best 3 and 5th best depending if you think nairo or tyrant is better) in the same area, so this area is VERY BIASED because of that. The best 3 players in Japan use ICs, Olimar, ICs, and they play on only the neutral stages. While I would say more than 3 stages is good, it's ABSURD the stages that the people are trying to put on today. They are simply not competitive stages, and 8 minute timer is simply TOO EASY to time people out on. Japan is way ahead of America in their rulesets, by far. Also I'm sure if the top 4 olimars in the world lived on EC instead of the top 4 MKs, people would be complaining about olimar and not MK. There is so much wrong with this entire situation, it really shouldn't happen at all

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
xDD master makes a great post, will more than likely be ignored

1000 people vote on a poll, apparently make up 75% of Smashboards

AZ pretends AiB's community even matters

There's a reason most fighting games never, ever ban a character, and that's because there's almost never a case of a character actually being unbeatable. Popular vote is not what makes a character ban worthy. Even if MK has no even match ups, even if he's 55/45 with everyone, that just means he's the best character in the game. Akuma was 80/20 with his worst match up, he wasnt beatable by any character if played correctly. Meta Knight is just kind of annoying to play against and people want to complain about how the best character winning the majority of the time(cus he's, yanno, the best character in the game) isnt fair.

The brawl community, the BBR, BBR-RC, you're all pathetic. You've literally managed to become what groups like SRK love to make fun of smash for being.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
@Jason:
I agree. MK isnt broken by default, it depends a lot on the rules/stages.
Id rather play FD, SV, BF only with MK allowed, instead of ~20 Stages without MK.
Its all about teh characters!!
I think the stage list and ruleset in general of APEX is fine, and its definitely enough.

I dont say, that stupid stages cant be played competitively or anything like that, but they are just not fit for tournaments IMO.

[ironic]
Btw. we should allow Bridge Of Eldin, Temple, Onett and Shadow Moses Island.
They are completely fine, its just the characters that are broken on these stages, so we should just ban the characters.
Seems like the correct way if you ask me...
[/ironic]

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The brawl community, the BBR, BBR-RC, you're all pathetic. You've literally managed to become what groups like SRK love to make fun of smash for being.
The response from SRK and other communities has been surprisingly positive compared to any other Smash news.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I don't want to comment on the video (since it's more of a US topic), but I do have something to say about Meta Knight:

In Chile, most of the people in the Congress (BBR) are Pro-Ban for MK. And after the URC banned Meta Knight, they're pushing for an instant ban in Chile. To the point, that the MK ban discussion has started. About 90% of the BBR has agreed on the MK ban. The only persons who are pro ban, are: an MK main and a Mr. Game & Watch main. The main Anti-Ban argument is: MK is not broken enough to be banned, and the fact that Chile DOESN'T have an overcentralization of MK, we usually have the SAME MK mains per tourney, about 4-5. (I'm in the middle about MK. I don't think MK should be banned based on brokeness, but if most of the community wants him banned, and that means, less people entering the tournaments, then MK should be banned).

I'm hosting a big tournament in Chile with big pay outs. And I officialy announced that I'm not entering the Brawl tournaments (Singles and Doubles) (As I'm currently undefeated in tournament play this year, hosting a tournament with big pay outs and entering would basically mean that NO ONE would enter to my tournament. And I would like to host a tournament that makes everyone that enters happy. So that's why I'm not entering).

I asked the community if they wanted Meta Knight banned or not for MY tournament. And guess what happened? The SAME people who want Meta Knight banned in Chile, voted for him to be LEGAL at my tournament.

While I don't want to imply anything, I felt this was something that should be posted in this topic.

Thanks for reading, and I apologize if my post it's way too off the topic.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The response from SRK and other communities has been surprisingly positive compared to any other Smash news.
How many of those people play Brawl, Chibo? Like, actually play in tourneys?

I bet a good portion of those SRKers are talking out their ***; either that, or they're people from Smashboards or AiB parroting the sentiment here.

Smooth Criminal

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO DECIDE IF A CHARACTER DESERVES TO BE BANNED FROM TOURNAMENTS~80% benefit from this and ~20% get -EXTREMELY- ****ED OVER]
But it's fine for 20% to benefit and have 80% get extremely Ef'd over?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if by ef'd over you mean the game being played normally without more surgical rules then yes.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Chilean stuff
As the only point I can say something about atm, I'll just tell you, as far as I've observed from Latin America forum, chilean community is extremely biased.

I don't know if other communities are,won't even argue about that, but Chile has relatively few players, and their intentions can be easily read.
They just want to benefit themselves by removing their biggest threat (you and your MK).
If they don't mind a MK legal tourney without you, that means they don't even think there's something wrong with the character in the first place...

Which is sad, and makes me wonder who, if other communities or regions, voted for the ban based on a certain player or situation, rather than the character, the metagame and stuff....
Oh wait.... They do-- all the time....

Anyways, Unity was supposed to please masses rather than doing what's "objectively best" for community.

Also, thread read +1

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If you're looking at it like that then nobody is going to benefit, pro-ban or not.

Try again...?

Smooth Criminal
Why, it's perfectly true. No matter what happens, pro or anti-ban, people are going to be affected. However, it's the end result you have to look at. If 75% of people aren't happy with him being overpowered, you have the option of making 25% sad that he'll be banned and have to pick up a new character or quit, vs 75% of people who then are likely to quit or take up MK themselves. Yeah I'm exaggerating a bit, but the only people who are complaining are ones that have lost their meal ticket, and are doing everything else they can to try and get him back, from trying to debate it to making huge overdramatic rants about everything relating to the URC in the hope of having the rule overturned.

And speaking of over dramatic rants

I don't even know how to respond to mic128. That post was just.... wow. Using MK ****s you over. Yeah
It's not the people that use MK that get Ef'd over, it's the people that are stuck vsing him. Durp.

Unity was supposed to please masses rather than doing what's "objectively best" for community.
Which is? No matter what you answer this with, it's either 'because you/you know someone who plays MK' or 'you've lost to him so you think he's OP' as the general arguments against. The only way for a truly 'objective' group would be people who never played the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom