• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A message to players looking to improve:

Albert.

Smash Master
I feel fine in saying that I'm not anything better than a mid-level player myself, but I feel that that does not preclude me from saying my peace:

This was inspired by somethign Pwii said to me, that kind of struck a chord with ideas in my head.

Stop camping your balls out in Ladder matches/Friendlies, or in Tournament sets/seriouslies. It does not help you get better. Stop standing there, shooting your projectiles endlessly, if it means that you don't develop as a player. For every decent Snake/Falco/Diddy/Olimar/Toon Link/Wolf/Pit/ROB/Yoshi main I've ever played, I've play about a half-dozen more of each character that just runs away and camps. Snake/Falco players, ESPECIALLY.

Yes, Brawl is a campy game. It's 2011, everybody has come to grips with it. But see the problem that a lot of people have (I speak from experience) is that they go into every competitive match trying to exploit ONLY the most annoying/gimmicky aspects of their characters.

But see the Top players don't do that. The players that beat you, 110% of the time without even paying attention, in Ladder or Tourneys, They don't rely on gimmicks. They don't just run away and camp for 6 minutes and then get surprised when they're down 100% and try to make up for their overwhelming deficit in the last 2 minutes.

See, I'm no theory expert, but you MUST learn the basics of every single aspect of your character. You have to know when to take calculated risks. You must learn how to Bait properly. You must learn your character's consistent damage wrackers/Frame traps and when/how to apply them. Yes, the gimmicky/basic **** might work for some of your matches, but when you start playing PR-members or their training partners, LOLLLLL I pity you.

It's worth noting that the best campy players playing campy characters with amazing force-approach/keep-out games (Snake/Falco/Diddy/Olimar just to name a few) can F*** your **** up up close if they wanted to. See, Dehf might 3 stock you when he's in his top-level camping mode, but that doesn't mean he can't destroy you by going super agro if he felt so inclined. This applies to the close-range characters, too. MK can't rely on just Dair and Nado. Marth can't just rely on Fair. DDD can't just Bair/Grab.

- If this is too long to read because you have the reading comprehension of a 13-year-old, and you're damn proud of it:
In serious matches, Play to LEARN, and learn how to apply pressure safely before you spend all of the rest of your developmental phase camping away a lead that you don't really have. If you do not fix some of the philosophical aspects of the game that sits there subconciously, you will NEVER improve.

Edit: I wonder if this content has any similar ideas with Pierces thread "stop bad habits" or whatever that I just glanced at the title for. I'm gonna go check it out.

-Ran

Smash Master
I was actually having this discussion with one of the players in my state a few days ago when he was watching Cyphus and myself play in a Brawl friendly. We more or less kept charging at each other head, much to the chagrin of the other player. He couldn't understand why I wasn't camping [Snake] against Donkey Kong, and why we were both trying to do play so reckless. We explained that playing defensively [hard camp] is significantly easier than switching from aggression to defense in a split moment.

Thus, by pressuring ourselves into situations that were inherently not safe, we were able to create moments that would come up in a tournament when we were as far from a neutral state as possible. Playing Smash is all about learning how to manage your control of the moment, and your ability to change from a negative posture to one that will benefit from you. If you are constantly playing safe, you won't deviate enough from neutral to push an advantage.

Roie

Smash Cadet
In tournament matches you do what wins. If you aren't confident that you gimmicky play won't win then don't do it. If you aren't confident that your noncampy play won't win then don't do it.

In friendlies don't be a ****.

Top Bottom