• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Message for the Smash Tournament Community

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I read this via a link in a thread at Evo's website. Here is the site it is from. I'm making this a very temporary (maybe a week or so) sticky for everyone to reflect their thoughts. For me, I think this shows that we as a community are heading in the right direction and have done a lot for our game. I also think our community as a whole has the right attitude toward playing this game (were are competitive, but also fun loving), I prefer to think of it like one big extended family with lots of history, drama, excitement, but most of all love (I'm being sappy, but you get the idea).

So, without further ado, here is the quote from one of the organizers of Evo, which Smash was a part of for the first time ever.

And Tekken definitely doesn't have to be bitter anymore. Although for a while they may have felt like the "outsiders" of Evo, that status has definitely been handed over to another game. Now, the most isolated community is the Super Smash Bros. Melee community. They have definitely taken the crown for the community that has every right to be bitter. Their game is never taken seriously by a large amount of Fighting Game players. Their game is always seen as "kiddie." Though they were a part of MLG, they were always relegated as a sideshow. Halo was the main event of MLG, and Smash was just a group of little kids, shunned by the Halo players and thrown into the back corner to play their tournament where they wouldn't disturb Halo. These players never seem to get any respect.

And yet, they are the furthest things from being bitter. I kept saying that the Guilty Gear community needs to learn to be professional and to take themselves seriously. Well, the Smash Bros. community is where they should look for an example. Just as with the Guilty Gear community, The Smash community has a game that some people frown upon. Both communities have players that have a bad stereotype associated with them (Guilty Gear players are often accused as being weird, anime-loving otakus and Smash players are always accused of being 6 year old Pokemon-loving kids or something). As a brand new community added to the Evolution line-up, the Smash Bros. players had every reason to come is very skeptical and behave very poorly.

But instead, they decided to prove why they deserve respect and why they deserve to remain at future Evolution tournaments. The players came out in droves, becoming instantly one of the largest tournaments at Evo in terms of number of contestants. The players showed up for the pools on time and were extremely cooperative with whoever was running the brackets. There wasn't even a big stink made over the decision to turn the pools and semis to best-of-1 game. The players were not happy with the decision, but they played through it. And no one seems to believe the results were "tainted" by that rule change. And on the Finals of Smash Bros., the community was there in full force, cheering their game on. It didn't seem like they were worried if non-Smash players were enjoying it because they were enjoying it too much themselves to care. But because their crowd added a lot of energy to the game, it ended up making it that much more fun for those unfamiliar with Smash to enjoy it as well.

And that's why I like this community so much. They know who they are and they know where they stand. And they are better off for it. There were two main things that surprised me about this community. First of all, they are all very competitive and skilled, but were extremely good natured and friendly to each other. There was a lot of respect among players. Someone joked to me how footage of Smash players involved more handshakes and hugs than any other game.

The other thing that really surprised me about Smash was how deep its history is. From talking to the top 8 players that qualified for the Finals, I was very pleased to discover just how much the community has gone through and grown. It was almost as if Evo had just walked into a movie that was already in progress. There were stories of Ken's early domination and subsequent early retirement... only to return to tournaments for this past Evo. There were stories of East Coast dominance being threatened by an emerging group of top-level West Coast Smash players. There were stories of wanting really badly to prove that certain perceived mid-tier characters could dominate. And there was a lot of stories regarding their history with MLG (both good and bad).

They already have their celebrities. And with them, they could have their upsets and grudges and hugely anticipated matches. They are already a fully established community and, frankly, even if Evo never picked them up or drops them next year, I can't imagine they would lose any momentum. And I took strong notice of that. This community has already built itself up and is already self-sustaining. It's a model Fighting Game community.

The Smash community should be used as a blue print for many of the other budding communities. Whether you are King of the Fighters fans, Melty Blood fans, Arcana Heart fans... hell, even Street Fighter Alpha 3 fans, the key to getting your game into the lime light is building up your community. Everyone likes to say that being included in Evo is what breathes life into games. While I do admit it helps a lot, I still believe that a game thrives solely on its community. It has very little to do with the inclusion into Evo. In fact, inclusion into Evo is usually the result of a strong community or a potential for a strong community.

So this is lesson for today: if you want to see your favorite game thrive, do your part. A game is nothing without its community of players. Just start that fire, and if you continue to support your community, the fire will continue to fuel itself.

Kais

Smash Ace
This is a fantastic read and an amazing perspective of our community. It kind of put into words a feeling I've had since I started playing this game in the first place, know what I mean?

Though I have been thinking a lot about this one thing lately. This is a very large "what-if" but I wanted to ask somebody it. What if, when Brawl is released, there are way too many bugs or broken characters or... well, it gets changed too much from Melee? Will the SSBM community carry on or will that be it?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This is exactly why I play Smash. Great game. Great community. ^__^

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We own! Smash ftw! Glad to know we're appreciated. I went through that steriotype a few times, but when I actually challenged my friends (who called me that steriotype), I showed them it is just as good as any other fighting game, or any game for that matter. Our community is argueably one of the biggest, and will continue to do so. We've got anywhere from 13 and 14 year olds playing tourneys, to people in their mid 30s, and our dedicated community is great. This is one major plus for the smash community. And that is why it will only CONTINUE TO GROW. I asked for help a couple of times, got in detail help from multiple sources, and many people were willing to tell me how to get better. I took the advice (ty to anyone for the great advice), and if I was to face myself pre SWF, I would 5 stock the life out of myself. Smash Boards and Smsh Community FTW folks! :)

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
The smash community is going to get a HUGE boost soon. I can't wait to reveal it to you guys!!!! =D =D

Compensation for travel expenses??? $10,000 prizes???? IMPOSSIBLE....?!??!?! NOT HERE!'

This quote just fuels me EVEN MORE to give to the community and produce huge results for friends I've never met!

Banks

Smash Hero
lol i have never played any other game competitively so i always assumed other communites were like this one. I guess I just picked the right game.

marvel vs capcom players are definitely more gangsta though. >_>

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Banks is partly responsible for getting me into this community-- he gave my beard a shoutout in the cat 3 results thread so I had to meet him for reals at a tourney. Now I'm totally gay for new england smashers.

Banks

Smash Hero
Banks is partly responsible for getting me into this community-- he gave my beard a shoutout in the cat 3 results thread so I had to meet him for reals at a tourney. Now I'm totally gay for new england smashers.
cogsmooch u r my dawg for lyfe barkbarkbark <3

Jammer

Smash Lord
That article kind of explains why I joined smashboards even though I'm not that into Smash. It's the community. You brought me in, guys and gals.

I never knew before.

senpyou

Smash Apprentice
back from the future son!

as someone who helped create TG with mattd, i just wanted to say that our biggest goal was for SSB to make it to EVO. now that it's happened i'm glad to see nothing but positive comments from the fighting game community.

congratulations to all people have been working hard to keep this community alive and well. and also to ken for dominating since oh three. and did i hear correctly that dave aka scamp was the commentator??

-vien

Wuss

Smash Champion
hellz yea, the smash community is so good. I remember my first tourney, at chu's house for a biweekly, I felt so awkward at first, like I didn't belong, but once I asked if I could get in, i felt right at home with most of the guys there. It is an extremely accepting community. Just wish I could get out to more stuff...

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
lol i have never played any other game competitively so i always assumed other communites were like this one. I guess I just picked the right game.

marvel vs capcom players are definitely more gangsta though. >_>
yes from personal experience this is true son

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
People are always talking about how he smash community is so friendly, and it's true. There are very few *******s out there when you meet them in person, and even then, they're ****ing friendly *******s. Like they'll diss your playing but they'll still be nice, and they'll basically say come and i'll play you when you get better. Gives you something to look forward to.

Jammer

Smash Lord
There are very few *******s out there when you meet them in person, and even then, they're ****ing friendly *******s. Like they'll diss your playing but they'll still be nice, and they'll basically say come and i'll play you when you get better.
Yeah, I think it's true that every smasher wants to help others improve. Even if the mentor is generally mean.

It's nice.

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the unique nature of smash as a competitive fighting game is due to two things. The first I think is the game itself. It's not really a violent game, which i think manifests itself in the temperament in its players. When you aren't blowing people's heads off things are a bit more friendly, right? The game appears very PG, but it's effing addictive, not to mention deep. I think this is why the community is friendly, and why the game is so popular.

Now the community itself...it's true that the game is popular among friends. But the real reason for the existence of the smash community...is this website. Smashboards is like everything. We would be nowhere near as tight or organized without Smashboards. What would we do without it?

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
I feel all warm and tingly inside.

Down with stigmas! It's a serious game, with serious competitors, who are also generally very friendly and respectful to each other. Even when someone trashtalks, be it a player or a member of the audience, it's almost always in good fun. (I'm reminded of Forward's "New Breed" yells at the end of FCD...)

Why wouldn't you want to be a smasher?

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
I admit the smash community is mostly made up of great people, fun to play with, open and top players that sit down with you and help. I really enjoy most of the people I met throughout the smash community. Smash still has a long way to go though. There are so many differences between smash and games like SF:3rd strike, MvC2, Tekken 5, Virtua Fighter, even Guilty Gear. It's true we have a ever growing community that is huge right now, with people so addicted they drive 5+ hours for a 5 dollar tournament, with prior knowledge of winning no money because someone like m2k, kdj, or pc will win no matter what :-). But this game won't be taken on the same level as a fighting game that can have things that smash will never have.

A comeback that can happen in 10 seconds and people screaming their *** off for such a good combo

The ability to watch smash and understand whats going on for a regular person, becuase with games like street fighter, its simple to watch and understand whos winning. No one watching smash can determine technical skill, missing cancels, or not edge guarding perfectly unless they play it with knowledge of these things.

Certain random combos that looks flashy and keep the crowd entertained (Linking supers, using EX moves, Certain moves that just look flashy like Tekken Grabs)

I'm not saying that the smash community is a joke, i love playing tournaments with the people that are good in Philly, where I live, and evo east was really fun to participate in. But things gotta change though in brawl if you wanna make it the top fighting game to watch, cause the community is already there. thats my opinion though, don't ****ing blast me cause you don't agree, a simple "Well i believe differently, becuase ect ect ect...". This is just my opinion and nothing more, with no bias at all.

Jammer

Smash Lord
The ability to watch smash and understand whats going on for a regular person, becuase with games like street fighter, its simple to watch and understand whos winning.

...But things gotta change though in brawl if you wanna make it the top fighting game to watch, cause the community is already there. thats my opinion though, don't ****ing blast me cause you don't agree, a simple "Well i believe differently, becuase ect ect ect...". This is just my opinion and nothing more, with no bias at all.
Yeah, I totally agree that Smash is often hard to understand. When I was watching videos, I was so confused about people dash-dancing and shielding and teching all over the place--I'd never seen that done before. I've learned since then, but it definitely is not a game where you can see what's going on in the highest levels of play when you're just beginning to get interested in it.

About things changing, well, I don't think it's possible to make it easier to understand for newbies. A big part of Smash is the open-endedness of the play, which allows us to find new advanced techniques that don't make sense to the casual player.

And didn't you read the first post, SLAYERColdKiLr, which was about how nice the Smash community is? You don't have to worry about being flamed for having an opinion. Only trolls are flamed (well, usually).

Moosh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moosh_da_moosh
3DS FC
3995-6503-8179
I agree with everything CoLdKiLrrrrrrr said. Don't F with him.. why? cause i said so.. kthxbai

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
About things changing, well, I don't think it's possible to make it easier to understand for newbies. A big part of Smash is the open-endedness of the play, which allows us to find new advanced techniques that don't make sense to the casual player.

).
That is a good point, i didnt want it to make it seem like we should dumb down the game for others so everyone can play it, but just add certain elements in for people like...the final smash and open the stage selection. But yea totally good point thought, i would hate to wreck the open endedness to the game. :-)

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
This is why i stayed with the smash community. I have gone from noob to decent, and it's all cuz of the people here that keep you motivated to continue improving. The people that beat you all the time, yet give you encouragement to keep going. That one guy that you went even with, and he then became your rival, and your friend (yeah, i'm talking bout you Adi haha). And lastly that last person, who you want to see improve and contend with you in the future; that one kid that you see potential in, so you make sure he keeps coming back.

It's for these reasons, and these kinds of people, that i believe I keep pushing on ahead. And i think, that other smashers keep going for these reasons as well.

just my two cents.

Top Bottom