• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A list of things every good video game MUST have - Current Genre : Platformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Right, this is my first game/first time posting a thread here so if I do anything wrong, please don't kill me. And if this has been done before...I searched but...don't hurt me ok? And I don't think this goes in the General Brawl discussion so...oh whatever

I'm sure you have noticed that every video game falls into a specific 'genre', just like a book. From platforming to puzzling, all games fit into a genre. Yet despite how different they may be, whether it's different characters your using or different game settings, all games in the same genre follow the same 'trend' and have similar things about them. I'm sure many of you have noticed this right?

The idea of this game is to list the various things that every video game in a paticular genre always seems to have. The genre will be changed...when I feel like it or when people run out of ideas. I might create a huge list of things we can all come up with on the front page if I feel like it ;) I'll try and kick start things be listing some examples when a new Genre is being talked about

Rules:

- Usual SWF/Forum Games rules

- Know where to draw the line. I'm sure there's certain things all games seem to have that may be unsuitable/rude. Please consider what you post before you post

- Please only post a few ideas at a time (Around 1 to 5 is a good number imo). Don't hog all the fun and suggest everything humanely possible because that takes the fun out of things

- Have fun. This is not an option

Current Genre:

Platformers

Edit: It probably would help if I explained what the genre consists of...
Platformers in their simplest form are games where you must jump across/onto various platforms and over various obstacles. It is essential that the player can control these jumps. Games which featue automatic jumping such as the Legend of Zelda series are not included in this genre

What must all good games in this genre have?

1. A main character (or mascot) who has various special abilities that make him or her special
2. The main character must have various sidekicks in some shape or form
3. Everytime a playable character jumps, they must make a noise
4. There has to be atleast 1 enemy that is either invincible or has to be killed with an item or there's a specific part of it's body to attack.
5. There must be platforms.
6.The Final boss has to be easier than several before it.
7: The main character must die if they fall into a bottomless pit (or alteration of bottomless pit)
8.There must be a very annoying Water level that is harder thansycho mantis when you have only 1 controller port.(slightly dramatized)
9. There must be powerups, invincibility being the most necessary
10.there must be sackboy
11: There must be a goal that is rather stupid.
12. If the game is made after the year of 2000, there is some kind of double jump.
13. It must have some kind of collectable item to proceed in the game/unlock stuff
14. You must be able to control your direction while in the air
15. You must be able to grab something that goes "BING".
16. Traditionally, you must start at the left hand side of the level and travel to the very right hand side to reach the goal. If not, you're doing it wrong
17. There must be some kind of forced scrolling level which will often involve a bunch of crevices to annoy you to death
18. Getting 'squashed' means instant death

I'll let you come up with the rest :) Happy posting!

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
4.There has to be atleast 1 enemy that is either invincible or has to be killed with an item or there's a specific part of it's body to attack.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
7: The main character must die if they fall into a bottomless pit (or alteration of bottomless pit)

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
^thats called a crevice.

8.There must be a very annoying Water level that is harder than:psycho mantis when you have only 1 controller port.(slightly dramatized)

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
12. There must be more than one playable character.
Um.... No. There are many great platformers with one playable character. I.E. the 2D sonic games(minus S&K), Kirby, Wario Land, Super Mario 64, to name a few.

Ange

Smash Lord
13. It must have some kind of collectable item to proceed in the game/unlock stuff.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
16. Traditionally, you must start at the left hand side of the level and travel to the very right hand side to reach the goal. If not, you're doing it wrong

17. There must be some kind of forced scrolling level which will often involve a bunch of crevices to annoy you to death

(You can post more than one if you can think of them...just don't post like 20 in one go. Cheers for keeping this alive xD I should have started off with RPGs or something...)

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice

(You can post more than one if you can think of them...just don't post like 20 in one go. Cheers for keeping this alive xD I should have started off with RPGs or something...)
There are 3D platformers too, you know.

D

Deleted member

22. There must be a collectible item that when you obtain 100 you get an extra life

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
25a: There must be an entire water stage.
26: There must be a lava stage too.

Penultimate

Smash Rookie
33. The background must have some flashy stuff in it.
34. The character must do a small movement if left idle for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom