• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide A Link Between Duels : SSB4 Zelda Matchup Thread: [Upd2] Diddy Kong

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Salutations My lovely/handsome Zelda mains.
As a devout Pit main since the release of Sm4sh for WiiU, and a secondary user of Zelda for about two months, I figured id insert my two cents for this here matchup.
So we have the strong, independent princess, who don't need no man, in one corner; and everyone's favorite, floor ice cream eating, flightless angel in the other.

Pits strenghs:
-great long range dash game(arguably one of the rosters best)
-great long range projectile
-powerful grabs with guaranteed combo follow ups at low percents
-powerful side B with light armor
-fast powerful smash attacks with low startup lag
-multiple jumps, long range recovery, difficult to gimp
Pits weaknesses:
-predictable, punishable recovery options
-high ending lag on smash attacks, making them very punishable

Zelda strenghs:
-fast powerful down/up tilt
Powerful long range, and close range projectiles
-projectile shield, and spacing tool
-plenty of gimping, and edge guarding tools
-recovery with hitbox(powerful out of shield option)
Zeldas weaknesses:
-slow, punishable smash attacks
-light, and floaty
-limited recovery options

Pit favors from using arrows, and forcing the opponent to approach him, and the capitalizing on his/her mistakes, and punishing them. This option is impossible due to Zeldas neutral b. Pits arrows have enough startup, and ending lag that zelda can use nayrus love freely without worry., completely removing any chances of pit zoning her.
On the other hand, with zeldas dins fire, so long as she uses good spacing, zelda can zone pit decently. Pits only options are to shield, spot dodge, and use his orbitars(down b), but with so much ending lag, pit can be left wide open for a well time attacke from zelda
Right, so on to the neutral game. Pit is notorious for having a really good grab game, so when his zoning option is impossible, hes going to be the one who trys to approach. Pit getting a successful grab can result in some guaranteed combos that can rack up percentage, and with her floatiness, zelda becomes s joy to juggle(wow, that sounded dirty). Zelda has little options to avoid getting juggled iif she gets knocked into the air. She can spot dodge, and use her neutral b, but that can become predictable. She may get away with it once, but after that pit will anticipate it, and wait in his shield. Using a dash attack, pit can knock zelda into the air at the perfect angle for low percent follow ups.
Zelda herself also has a few low percent follow ups with a down throw, however with proper DI, pit wont have to worry about this for long. Zelda has very limited options when approaching pit. Her dash attack with its ending lag puts her in the perfect position to be punished with a grab(though we could say likewise about pit). Zelda, aerial approach options are also unusable, with all of them having high amounts of ending lag, and small hitboxs..
Offstage, pit is going to have a much easier time gimping zelda. With the ability to pelt her from long ranges with arrows. Zelda can try using Nayru, but with her linear recovery, she'll need to mind the distance between her, and the edge of the stage. Pit also can have any easy time gimping zelda with a forward air, or a spike, with both of the having relatively low ending lag
Zelda wont be able to do much to gump pit, with multiple jumps, and a long range recovery. She can use dins fire, but pit can avoid it via fast falling/air dodging, and then recover. However, if zelda is patient, and has good timing, she can spike pit while hes in his up b animation. She can also do the same, if she notices him recovering with side b alot. Remember, pits hurt box is on his head during his side B, zelda needs to remember that.
As far as K.O.ing goes if gimping is out of the question. Pit has quick smash attacks, his forward smash is quick, and powerful, being able to KO early by the ledge. Pit also has his disjointed up smash, with a long horizontal hitbox, nd one in front of him to pull Elda in, if she is facing him. Zelda also needs to be wary of pits side B, which is very lethal when pit is in rage. He will most likely catch her with it after an unsafe landing. Shield, and punish.
Zelda has powerful smash attacks of her own, but with high lag, she'll need to be more sparring in her use of them. She has phantom slash, using it quickly, especially in an edge guard attempt will catch pit of gaurd, but again, when he anticipates it, he can easily make zeldas life a nightmare. Pit CAN deflect the ohantom, remember that. One of zeldas easiest kill options is Up b out of shield, or spot dodge, after pit attempts a grab, dash, or side b.

Conclusion:
Zelda can be a tricksy princess. She has potent mixup, and can give Pit a run for his money if he gets cocky. Her powerful smash attacks, and aerial punishes can make pit very terrified of making any mistakes. However, if the pit is skilled, he can can read zelda like a children's book. Pit has an easy time juggling zelda, and racking up quick damage, and with little options to stop him, zelda has to heavily predict pit if she is to avoid getting hit
My verdict:
I give this matchup to pit hands down.
Pit simply has too many tools to deal with zelda. He wint give her any breathing room, and will be constantly applying pressure by being in her face. With his ability to KO her early due to her floatiness, and lightness, pit, if he is patient, and knows the matchup, wont have a hard time countering zeldas every move. With disjointed hitboxs, and low lag moves, pit out maneuvers zelda, as she has much slower attacks.

Final verdict:
70:30 pits favor

If you think I missed something, please let me know, thank you.
Would also like to say that Zelda's smashes are not that slow, only usmash is very punishable but that's because it lasts long.
Fsmash has startup but the endlag is very low making it very safe on shield (Pit, by contrast, should be getting punished
every time his fsmash is blocked). And dsmash is fast in every sense.

Pit's reflectors are slow and cumbersome making them unsuited to reflecting the relatively close-range
Phantom unless she charges it longer than she should.

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Would also like to say that Zelda's smashes are not that slow, only usmash is very punishable but that's because it lasts long.
Fsmash has startup but the endlag is very low making it very safe on shield (Pit, by contrast, should be getting punished
every time his fsmash is blocked). And dsmash is fast in every sense.

Pit's reflectors are slow and cumbersome making them unsuited to reflecting the relatively close-range
Phantom unless she charges it longer than she should.
Zelda's fsmash is pretty laggy -- it's had its end lag increased by 10 frames since Brawl, so it's no longer safe on shield.

None of Zelda's attacks smashes are safe.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
First, I'm not sure I liked the way you addressed Macchiato. He just very avidly believes in Zelda to be better than everyone else thinks. As far as I could see after reading through your writeup, you have a bit of that number bias yourself.

Pit favors from using arrows, and forcing the opponent to approach him, and the capitalizing on his/her mistakes, and punishing them. This option is impossible due to Zeldas neutral b. Pits arrows have enough startup, and ending lag that zelda can use nayrus love freely without worry., completely removing any chances of pit zoning her.
On the other hand, with zeldas dins fire, so long as she uses good spacing, zelda can zone pit decently. Pits only options are to shield, spot dodge, and use his orbitars(down b), but with so much ending lag, pit can be left wide open for a well time attacke from zelda
Right, so on to the neutral game. Pit is notorious for having a really good grab game, so when his zoning option is impossible, hes going to be the one who trys to approach. Pit getting a successful grab can result in some guaranteed combos that can rack up percentage, and with her floatiness, zelda becomes s joy to juggle(wow, that sounded dirty). Zelda has little options to avoid getting juggled iif she gets knocked into the air. She can spot dodge, and use her neutral b, but that can become predictable. She may get away with it once, but after that pit will anticipate it, and wait in his shield. Using a dash attack, pit can knock zelda into the air at the perfect angle for low percent follow ups.
Mostly this is yeah right and stuff. I'm a little iffy on Din's, it really should not be used like, at all outside of when someone is over the edge. Zelda would probably be better off just reflecting arrows until Pit gets close enough where she doesn't have to exactly approach. That said he can't really bait Nayru's by shooting an arrow and curving it away at any sort of close range.

Offstage, pit is going to have a much easier time gimping zelda. With the ability to pelt her from long ranges with arrows. Zelda can try using Nayru, but with her linear recovery, she'll need to mind the distance between her, and the edge of the stage. Pit also can have any easy time gimping zelda with a forward air, or a spike, with both of the having relatively low ending lag
Zelda wont be able to do much to gump pit, with multiple jumps, and a long range recovery. She can use dins fire, but pit can avoid it via fast falling/air dodging, and then recover. However, if zelda is patient, and has good timing, she can spike pit while hes in his up b animation. She can also do the same, if she notices him recovering with side b alot. Remember, pits hurt box is on his head during his side B, zelda needs to remember that.
This is where I particularly find issue.

I mean (At the bolded part) I sort of agree that a good Pit will make a gimp hard for Zelda, It's going to happen sometimes. Zeldas will likely try and keep themselves ready for the DAir gimp whenever they can, sometimes not even going for the Din's unless Pit is very far from the ledge, thus clenching an up B recovery from Pit.

Also, Zelda is not. easy to gimp. At. All. Shooting an arrow is a no-no. Zelda will likely almost always be in range to ledge-snap with FW. If you aren't out on her immediately she could be back on the ledge already. If you actually want to go deep to get her you'll only have one chance, really, to hit her. Most Zeldas will likely save their DJ and drop really low, then DJ+FW for a distance equal if not better than Pit's up B. Also, if you don't hit Zelda during her startup (Which, this isn't like Brawl where it was 35 frames of complete trash vulnerability, it's only 20 frames now where you can hit her, and there's a hit-box right in the middle.) then you put yourself in danger of having to recover with up B, so unless you retract quick enough after an attempt, it could be a table-turn situation.

[/quote]
As far as K.O.ing goes if gimping is out of the question. Pit has quick smash attacks, his forward smash is quick, and powerful, being able to KO early by the ledge. Pit also has his disjointed up smash, with a long horizontal hitbox, nd one in front of him to pull Elda in, if she is facing him. Zelda also needs to be wary of pits side B, which is very lethal when pit is in rage. He will most likely catch her with it after an unsafe landing. Shield, and punish.
Zelda has powerful smash attacks of her own, but with high lag, she'll need to be more sparring in her use of them. She has phantom slash, using it quickly, especially in an edge guard attempt will catch pit of gaurd, but again, when he anticipates it, he can easily make zeldas life a nightmare. Pit CAN deflect the ohantom, remember that. One of zeldas easiest kill options is Up b out of shield, or spot dodge, after pit attempts a grab, dash, or side b.[/quote]

I wouldn't think of Pit landing a Fsmash without a bit of luck, that said you leave out Fthrow, which we should be wary of at the ledge where it could kill quite nicely with half the commitment of a Fsmash. Also, Zeldas won't be going over pit at his Usmash's KO percents and getting hit, unless there's a platform. Basically, his mentioned KO moves are roughly as hard to land as Zelda's Fsmash/Dsmash and...actually KO at similar percents. (I'd actually guess Zelda's Fsmash is more powerful.) I'd say Zelda should try for as little platforms as possible.

Also, you better hope you take Zelda out as soon as possible, because rage starts to make her KO moves impressive. Pit isn't exactly a heavy-weight, and her Fsmash/Dsmash/Usmash will start to KO at like, 95/130/110 respectively, not to mention should she land a hard-read aerial or an Elevator (Up B 1 to 2) they will KO at fraudulently low percents.

Basically in conclusion, lots of your points were good, and for the most part this was an accurate write-up. I simply don't understand how you decided on 3:7/7:3 from that...

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
fsmash has shield push back making it somewhat safe on block against some characters but in relation to pit I am not sure if he is pushed far enough away. I have some other thoughts but I must wait till I get home to better post.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
fsmash has shield push back making it somewhat safe on block against some characters but in relation to pit I am not sure if he is pushed far enough away. I have some other thoughts but I must wait till I get home to better post.
Pit may be able to punish but it's still fairly strict, shield drop too early and he gets hit and just a bit too late
he misses the punish.

Foul Play

The biggest geek on the block
NNID
FoulPlay22
3DS FC
3480-3050-4532
Perhaps i was a bit harsh on the verdict, zelda is s threat in the hands of an experienced player. So its unfair of me to say she has no hope of winning. But i feel this matchup at the very least is60:40 pits favor.

@ Gay Ginger Gay Ginger when you have a chance today, would you be down for a quick best of three set? No disrespect to you, or zelda at all, i figure you folks could move past this MU faster if there were some results to go off of.
Or any zelda player who has some time to kill.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Perhaps i was a bit harsh on the verdict, zelda is s threat in the hands of an experienced player. So its unfair of me to say she has no hope of winning. But i feel this matchup at the very least is60:40 pits favor.

@ Gay Ginger Gay Ginger when you have a chance today, would you be down for a quick best of three set? No disrespect to you, or zelda at all, i figure you folks could move past this MU faster if there were some results to go off of.
Or any zelda player who has some time to kill.
Sure!

I should be free in about half an hour or so. I'll send you a message when I'm free.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Final verdict:
70:30 pits favor
7:3?
Ouch, god damn.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, sure there are difficulties, but is it really harder than the ZSS match up? The Peach Match up?
Look, I'm not the optimist here,. Far from it actually, but I can tell you that I also think this match up is even. High tier or not, Pit isn't terribly scary to us. (In my opinion.)
I can barely read your text. It hurts my eyes :c

Last edited:

Foul Play

The biggest geek on the block
NNID
FoulPlay22
3DS FC
3480-3050-4532
7:3?
Ouch, god damn.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, sure there are difficulties, but is it really harder than the ZSS match up? The Peach Match up?
Look, I'm not the optimist here,. Far from it actually, but I can tell you that I also think this match up is even. High tier or not, Pit isn't terribly scary to us. (In my opinion.)
I can barely read your text. It hurts my eyes :c
As i said, i was harsh on the rating, as zelda isn't bad like people maker her out to be.
But i do think its 60:40 - 55:45. In my opinion pit has more tools to come out on top.
Again, thats just my opinion.

___

Alright, i just played a set with @ Gay Ginger Gay Ginger and here was some of the data i gathered

The push on zeldas fsmash wasn't enough to put her at a safe distance from pit. I was still able to rush forward and grab her,

Also, i was able to land a few arrow shots while he was off stage with zelda, so she can be hit.

On smashville, i was able to live the elevator aka fw at 90%, but i need to note that zelda was only at 50% not really in rage..

He was able to use the ohantom to space me out so he could run in, and grab me. The phantom will keep fighters away from zelda, so she can counter.

Also, zelda was able to snap on the ledge every time she recovered

All in all zelda as more range than I originally thought. She also has a much safer recovery, but pit is still able to apply heavy pressure with dash/grab, and off stage arrow pressure

Im changing my rating to 55:45 pits favor, but only slightly. A well trained zelda will still come out on top without much trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
It seems even to me for reasons stated above.

@ EnGarde EnGarde Hep us.
Hi! I only generally check Smashboards like once a week, lol. I think a lot of us Pit mains hang out more on skype than here, though I also tend to hang out with the Marcina mains a lot lol. So sorry if I'm a bit late to the party.

I'll speak specifically from a Pit main's perspective; most but not all things will apply to Dark Pit. My Zelda experience is a bit shaky, since it's been a while since I've last played Macchiato (probably the best Zelda I've played so far). I'm also still a very new smasher myself, so I'm still working on my fundamentals; therefore, take my words with a grain of salt.

In neutral, if you're far away from me, I'd probably throw out a jump arrow or 2 to see how you respond, since Zelda doesn't have the movement speed to close the distance quickly. When we use arrows in the air, we have a full 16 frames less endlag (ty Aerodrome for the frame data lol), and the trajectory is such that if you use your reflector, they'll reflect harmlessly up at an angle that's unlikely to hit me. Therefore, it is possible to make Zelda's approach difficult. You could try to force me to approach with Din's fire, but tbh, I don't know if that has enough shield pressure to make me sweat, and I can see it coming a mile off, especially once I figure out the timing for it. Using phantom in this MU is not a very good idea, since I can pretty easily meet that with my orbitars, but also, it is one of the few projectiles that is reflected usefully by my side b, upperdash.

Speaking of, I can see a bit of misinfo on Pit's upperdash and orbitars in previous posts. Upperdash has full on super armor, but it is only active for a specific number of frames, so you can hit us out of it before the super armor activates, or after (and sometimes us Pit mains aren't very careful with spacing our side b's properly to make optimal use of that super armor; I'll admit to that myself lol). As for orbitars, if we're using the default (we should be using either default or amplifying in this MU IMO; my personal preference is default always because default has windboxes where amplifying does not), we are invulnerable while the default orbitars are up. Amplifying orbitars break more easily on impact, which is useful because it results in less endlag, but without windboxes it's even easier to punish than default (and default is pretty easy to punish to start with), and they can't be used for default's other use, landing mixup. Yes, we can use the invulnerability and wind boxes to mess up potential juggle attempts, but due to the amount of commitment on that option, it is a mixup ONLY.

Once we're in mid range, I'm not looking to make the first move, but to see how you will respond. If you throw out moves incautiously away from me, I'll try to go for dash grabs, but if I don't think I'll get there in time, I might try to meet you with a dash attack, which is disjoint and comes out very quickly. Dash attack can set up for a fair at certain %'s, especially if you don't DI. Pretty sure spaced dash attack cleanly interrupts your reflector, though more testing is needed to confirm. I also have a lot of disjointed tilts that I can use to space you out, such as ftilt (which actually has a bit more range than Marth's ftilt), and dtilt. Dtilt can also set up for a fair at certain percents, and tipper ftilt from Pit (NOT Dark Pit) has a lot of extra knockback, and can kill near the edge at high percents.

If you try to approach me incautiously with your attacks (both grounded and aerial), especially if you hit my shield with your attacks, chances are pretty likely you're going to get shield-grabbed, since Pit's all around grab range is pretty good. I dunno about other Pit mains, but that's something that I in particular have really gotten good at. We also have jabs for slightly spaced CQC, which can cover spot dodges, as well as a pivot grab that, if you're standing directly in front of me and I do an immediate pivot grab AWAY from you, you'll still get grabbed (so, good for spacing and option coverage). I've been surprised by just what I've been able to grab people out of with that lol.

If you're also playing the patient game, I'd probably start trying to headshot you with a spaced sh fair, since Zelda is tall enough for it, and since I know you guys will want to hit me with your own sh aerials. If you guys try to play crouching games, I can RAR it and try to hit you with bair, which hits at a lower height than fair, though with a bit more risk involved. I can also use dash to shield as an approach to force out a twitch response, which is a great option with Pit's short, fast dash and low traction, as I can slide while in shield into your attack and punish with a grab.

Once I get the grab, it's dthrow to juggles galore. I personally love going for uairs most of all, because it's possible to string 2 or more of them together at lowish percents using my double jumps. I'd recommend not challenging Pit's uair, as it's very disjoint. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that trades with it is Link's dair, and that's only sometimes. All uairs after the first are a setup only (not a true combo), and can be escaped dependent on the reading / DI skill of the players. I have a few other mixup options during these percents that I can go for instead, including fthrow or bthrow > jab lock setups and fair chaingrabs (which are probably just a gimmick, but ehh, I'm still practicing them lol), so there's that, too.

Also, once you're offstage, be careful where you choose to use your up+b. If you like to use it just offstage, or just under the lip of the stage, those are easy positions for me to edgeguard you from. I've been working on using walk-off nair, mostly for Sheiks, but I think it might apply to you guys as well. Otherwise, I'd probably just lob arrows at you, because your recovery is a bit to risky for me to want to challenge directly.

As for Pit in the state of disadvantage, I don't know what are all of your tools for juggling and comboing, but I've found DI up and away, plus multiple jumps, helps me escape a lot. If I'm worried about landing (which can be an issue with Pit), I'll just head for offstage and the ledge, and since I have multiple jumps, I'll probaby make it. We have multiple options on recovery, and can take our sweet time when offstage, so it can make timing when to use your edgeguard option difficult. Also, as arrows have less endlag in the air, I can lob multiple arrows at you while I'm recovering as a deterrent (this only works for Pit, as Dark Pit's arrows don't have enough curve to be useful in general). This is when you'll want to use your reflector, even though you're unlikely to hit me with my own arrow: the thing that limits my ablity to shoot more arrows in the air isn't the endlag, but rather that I can only have 1 arrow on the field at a time. If you reflect it, I have to wait until the reflected arrow is gone before I can send another one. If I hit you/your shield, or drive the arrow into the ground, I can launch another one almost immediately. Charged arrows also have an extra bit of knockback, so if you get hit with one while I'm recovering, that greatly eases recovery for me. There are multiple useful spacings for recovery using both upperdash as well our up+b, so we have a lot of mixup options there, and it can be kinda difficult to predict. Not to say it's impossible to edgeguard Pit, just...not as easy as it might first appear.

The main weaknesses that Pit has in this MU is that we'll probably find it hard to close out your stocks, as edgeguarding you is risky. We have a high percent kill throw, fthrow, though sometimes we can fudge the numbers with fthrow into charged arrow hitting you in/near the bubble. Otherwise, our safest kill option is sweet spot bair, though that too is a mid/high percent kill move. Our other kill moves--fsmash, upsmash, grounded upperdash---are also high percent-ish, and require a read to land. Lastly, we have tipper ftilt (Pit only, not Dark Pit), but that's a bit tricky to land in general.

---

tl;dr: Pit is awesome. :D We like to use arrows sometimes, we generally prefer to punish with grabs, but have other punishing / reactive tools too, we like to juggle people out of grabs, and can kill with fthrow near the ledge. We have trouble edgeguarding you, we have multiple jumps and recovery mixup options that can make edgeguarding us a bit problematic. We'll probably have trouble ending your stocks, as most of our kill options require a read at kill %.

Hope this helps! :)

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
time to talk about our alternate dimension sistern Pally, or w/e nickname yall want to call her. I haven't fought many Palutena's as Zelda but its always felt around even in default. customs i assume pally advantage by just a bit but idk. what do you girls think?

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I don't think this matchup is hard at all. Palutena like Zelda lacks a good neutral game but hers is slightly better since her fair is disjointed with low landing lag and autocancels from a SH, and bair also autocancels from a SH and has invincibility. Paletuna gets most of her damage off of dthrow and jab. Always DI dthrow away from her because it means she can't get nair to nair/fair/bair/uair (her most damaging combo) and instead only dthrow to fair/bair. She also can't get a guaranteed uair or usmash at kill percents. Never airdodge out of dthrow at kill percents bc they'll be looking for that since she has some trouble killing and they can use a smash attack to punish your landing lag. She also has some trouble landing like Zelda so try and bait an airdodge and punish it. Zelda has slightly less range and much less mobility than Palu but she can rack up damage and kill better. Since Palutena has a lot of trouble killing, we might be able to survive up to 150% and kill her with the elevator at 30-40%. Since most of her moves are really situational and she has only a few reliable ones (dthrow, fair, bair, jab), it's easy to know her gameplan, avoid her approach, and get in on her

50:50 (default, idk enough about the customs matchup)

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I'm not afraid of this MU in the slightest. I faced a good friend of mine who doesn't normally play Palutena but was trying to get better with her and her customs and everything he did had an easy counter to it. Palutena wants to be in the air and Zelda's anti-air game isn't bad. It means utilt will get a lot of use and even *gasp* dashing usmash! That said, don't underestimate her in the air since her air game is actually really good having next to no landing lag on her fair/bair. These will be her main spacing tools since her tilts are awful against us (They are meant for stuffing approaches which Zelda doesn't do). Zelda's main objective is to avoid being grabbed entirely, especially vs. customs Palutena since lightweight air combos hurt and kill. Zelda should avoid using phantom here since it can be reflected given no customs.

Palutena's tough to kill offstage so don't even bother trying unless you're confident in your ability to get that 1 frame vulnerability on ledge snap. We'll have a tough time killing Palutena with our aerials since she beats us in the air. The only aerial that won't be consistently trading with will be uair and dthrow-->uair stops working on Palutena earlier than most of the cast though airdodge baits will be our friend here as with all MU's since Palutena doesn't have an amazing time landing (She's better at it than we are though). As long as we're able to avoid Palutena's uair, she'll have a lot of trouble killing us whereas we have more reliable ways to kill her (dtilt-->uair, dthrow-->uair, fsmash, elevator). Yes, I said Zelda has more reliable kills than someone. The only other way I can conceivably think to kill with Palutena is jab cancelling into fsmash or usmash which isn't guaranteed. Her jab is amazing but her fsmash is quite the opposite while usmash doesn't reach far enough to catch someone right out of jab.

The ultimate problem Zelda has here is her lack of mobility which Palutena has plenty of. Zelda just has to be patient as always.

Default: :4zelda:55:45:4palutena:
Customs: :4zelda:45:55:4palutena:

Yeah, lightweight's a big deal.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Since Palutena has a lot of trouble killing, we might be able to survive up to 150% and kill her with the elevator at 30-40%.
Even with 150% rage I don't think Elevator could KO that early. Still though, maybe 60-70% if the Palutena survival DI's hit 2.

Also somethingsomethingidon'tcondonealtmaking but I hope Fuujin sistern doesn't miss this discussion

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Yeah probably not. I was thinking 30-40% with no DI, but more likely than not they'll DI the reappear.

Btw, I'm conflicted about stage choices in this MU. Low ceilings benefit both of them: Palutena can do dthrow to uair/usmash to kill (not guaranteed) or point blank jab to utilt (nearly guaranteed with only a frame or two to escape. Zelda can't escape it unless she spams Farore's Squall but I'm talking about default right now. Kills at like 90-130 depending on rage, even earlier with low ceilings) Zelda has dthrow uair which kills at about 80 with low ceilings and the elevator kills at stupidly low percents (70-85 w/ no rage and DI) on Halberd and Town and City. So overall in default I'd say Zelda benefits more from low ceilings and it'd be ok to take Palutena to Halberd or Town and City but Palutena is still kinda scary on them.

Also never take custom Palutena to stages with low ceilings bc lolol 0% Lightweight kills

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
palutenas dthrow isn't very DIable and considering her good grab I wouldn't say she has too much trouble killing unless she's just not landing a grab or getting antsy.

of all the times for Fu to be banned, she better show up for this one.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
I don't think Palutena has any more trouble killing us than we do her.

Zelda's moves are punishable enough that if we whiff a KO move, Palutena can KO with her smash attacks. The reverse is also true: Palutena's punishable smashes mean we can take advantage of mistakes as well.

But Palutena sets up KOs much better than Zelda does. Her d-throw can lead to an up-air KO, and if we DI it, Palutena can attempt some mind games by making us air dodge and then getting us with her up-smash. Or she can run past our landing and pivot fsmash. Palutena can sometimes set up KOs off of jabs: jab > fsmash can work at certain percents depending on DI and can be mixed up with jab > upsmash (if the Zelda anticipates a jab > fsmash and attempts to DI away and Palutena reads it, she can follow up with an up-smash instead). None of these are completely guaranteed or great, but they are better than Zelda's KO set-ups.

We can KO early with LKs or the Elevator but they are not very reliable. Palutena is much better in the air so a LK will usually only be useful for a close-range punish, and the 2nd hit of the elevator can be avoided with correct DI.

It's difficult for us to edge guard each other because we both teleport -- though Zelda's goes a bit further -- so most KOs will come from punishes.

Both characters' floatiness somewhat disrupts their ability to combo each other, but Palutena's jab > grab combos are still more effective than Zelda's combo game.

Overall, spacing and reading are very important in this MU, so most of the time the player doing these better will win. It's not a hard MU for Zelda, but I think Palutena has slight advantage because her combo game is better and she has better KO set-ups.

:4zelda:45: :4palutena:55

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Palutena's Fsmash and Usmash hit on the same frame (18) so if it's about Zelda being fast enough with OoS BAir, then it works on both.
I meant Zelda can block the upsmash and retaliate with b-air OoS, not that she can block the jab and b-air before Palutena can use her upsmash. If that was the original question, I misunderstood what @ JigglyZelda003 JigglyZelda003 was asking. And I don't know the answer to that.

edit: I don't know why Palutena would try upsmash after jab if the jab didn't connect, and I'm almost sure that Zelda can't shield the jab and b-air OoS before Palutena can shield or move.

Palutena's Fsmash has more horizontal range than her upsmash, which is why I'm unsure if she can punish it on block with a b-air OoS like she can with upsmash. I suppose it might depend on if the fsmash hits close or with the tips of the wings...

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I meant Zelda can block the upsmash and retaliate with b-air OoS, not that she can block the jab and b-air before Palutena can use her upsmash. If that was the original question, I misunderstood what @ JigglyZelda003 JigglyZelda003 was asking. And I don't know the answer to that.

edit: I don't know why Palutena would try upsmash after jab if the jab didn't connect, and I'm almost sure that Zelda can't shield the jab and b-air OoS before Palutena can shield or move.

Palutena's Fsmash has more horizontal range than her upsmash, which is why I'm unsure if she can punish it on block with a b-air OoS like she can with upsmash. I suppose it might depend on if the fsmash hits close or with the tips of the wings...
Oh, maybe it was me who misunderstood. Though, I may be able to help answer that too:

Using Aero's data we can see that Palutena's Fsmash and Usmash, if both hit hit on the first hit frame (18) and have roughly the same shield stun (2% won't make any major difference in shield stun afaik.) there's about 40 frames or so to punish her, after shield stun. They only differ in duration total by 1 frame. So basically frame-wise you can definitely punish Fsmash up until a certain distance, where then the time it takes you to move towards her in the SH OoS will be just a bit too long. (Further info: Zelda's SH is roughly 40 frames.) it seems very doable.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
If Zelda power shields Paletuna's Jab (when the hitbox first comes out on f8), Zelda has about a 5 frame window to OoS Bair or a 2 frame window to Fair.

@ BJN39 BJN39 or @Aerodrome sisters, correct me if I'm wrong, but is the endlag of a move = (FAF - 1) - frame of hitbox?

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Oh, maybe it was me who misunderstood. Though, I may be able to help answer that too:

Using Aero's data we can see that Palutena's Fsmash and Usmash, if both hit hit on the first hit frame (18) and have roughly the same shield stun (2% won't make any major difference in shield stun afaik.) there's about 40 frames or so to punish her, after shield stun. They only differ in duration total by 1 frame. So basically frame-wise you can definitely punish Fsmash up until a certain distance, where then the time it takes you to move towards her in the SH OoS will be just a bit too long. (Further info: Zelda's SH is roughly 40 frames.) it seems very doable.
What about Fsmash's wind boxes though? According to the data, there are wind boxes from frames 20-25 and 26-31. If I understand that correctly, if Zelda drops her shield after the initial hit, won't the wind boxes push her out of range to b-air? Fsmash's FAF is 67, so if Zelda is at a range where she is affected by the wind boxes, she has only 36 frames before Palutena can act...

But yeah, if it's at close range, Zelda should have no problem landing b-air OoS.

I apologize if I'm interpreting the hit/wind box data incorrectly.

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
well i was wondering if she could Bair before the Usmash/Fsmash but knowing that i can at least block an Usmash and retaliate with a foot is good enough...where are all the Palutena's? i know Fuu is banned again but there are some other girls right?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
What about Fsmash's wind boxes though? According to the data, there are wind boxes from frames 20-25 and 26-31. If I understand that correctly, if Zelda drops her shield after the initial hit, won't the wind boxes push her out of range to b-air? Fsmash's FAF is 67, so if Zelda is at a range where she is affected by the wind boxes, she has only 36 frames before Palutena can act...

But yeah, if it's at close range, Zelda should have no problem landing b-air OoS.

I apologize if I'm interpreting the hit/wind box data incorrectly.
No, you're right, I totally forgot about the wind, which, actually pushes even shielding opponents. I guess that just means the range at which you COULD do that is even smaller.

well i was wondering if she could Bair before the Usmash/Fsmash but knowing that i can at least block an Usmash and retaliate with a foot is good enough...where are all the Palutena's? i know Fuu is banned again but there are some other girls right?
I haven't gotten to calling them yet, lol. My b.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
My bad.

I've played the MU as both Zelda and as Palutena and I've never landed a bair OoS after Palutena's jab (though to be honest I never thought to try), and as Palutena I've never had a Zelda punish my jab with a LK. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Last edited:

Fuuj!n

Banned via Warnings
inb4 60-40 zelda's favor.

I'll type something up for this over the weekend or next week.
I can play a few of you too to give you an idea of the MU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
inb4 60-40 zelda's favor.

I'll type something up for this over the weekend or next week.
I can play a few of you too to give you an idea of the MU.
He was banned before he could post his write up RIP

Idk we can punish her autoreticle with FW and she can't approach either. We beat her on the ground while she beats us on the edge. We kill her earlier too... and we can punish her p easily.

With customs its a whole different story

imo

Default: 60-40 Zelda

Customs: 45-55 Pally

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Palutena's biggest problem in my opinion is that she can't deal with heavy pressure well.

But Zelda can't put on any much pressure because bad mobility and non-existent approach options. So I don't see how Palutena will struggle in neutral against Zelda....

Playing the match from both sides, I've always found it easier as Palutena.

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I've found fighting pally is much like fighting Rosie, she has a speed adv but its not too bad although pally jab shenanigans are annoying

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
70:30 Pit's favor?

Zelda has plenty of horrendous MUs, but Pit is not one of them.

55:45 in Pit's favor, at the worst.
I know this discussion is finished, but I'd like to weigh in some info, I hope this isn't wrong.

I play Pit, and I get to play against Zelda most of the time because my friend mainly plays her and he's the best locally here with her, he actually showed me that Zelda is much stronger than what tierlists say, I'd put her mid tier at best, feel free to agree or disagree but I saw her strength and what she can actually do..

The strongest thing Zelda has imo, is OoS Bair, this can flip any battle against any matchup, except maybe shiek's aerials ot forward tilt? but yeah, this can destroy pit.

Nayru's love can catch us off-guard if we get in too close.

Farore's can kill 60% easy with 60-100% rage if comboed to self into the air.

Zelda's dash attack works really well here, her jab and Dtilt does a good job as fast moves to catch aggressive pits.

Pit can't gimp zelda at all unless her damage is high enough for pit's not so strong spike to knock her down.

BUT

Pit can destroy her, a Versatile Pit can outdo Zelda in multiple ways. Pit's dash attack can punish almost every Zelda move, our usual grab to Uair combo can work till 70s%, and she can be juggled easily in the air, she either tries to hit or dodge, read that and then due to our multiple jumps, we can catch that with another aerial, or she rushes to ground and we rush with her to a fast grab or Dsmash.

Pit's Bair and Dair outclass Zelda, and these two moves alone can carry the match for pit (add dash attack as a punisher and pit got the match with just three moves)

Farore's wind, whenever done, to wherever teleported, with just simple prediction and a bit of concentration it can be punished with out beautiful dash attack.

Upperdash kills Zelda a bit earlier than the rest of the cast

whenever I lose against Zelda, it's because of the fair when she reads through my follow-ups, and her OoS bair... omg that OoS bair...

so I'd say, matchup is 60-40, Zelda plays must concentrate on gettings those sweetspots as the damaging moves, forget Din's fire, you gonna get Dash'd. and the only combos you got that work are Dthrow to Nair or Dthrow to Up-air 50-65%.

also, if you saw a pit slack off by throwing an arrow, or throw a dash attack casually, Farore here can punish him hard :p

an advise for Zelda players, never, ever, forget the dash attack, always make sure you auto-cancel your aerials, and throw pit off-stage to Dair him, but keep in mind he can trick you with the multiple jumps and slow air hovering, and utilise the speed of his recovery to run away from Dair, ooooor, Pit can stage spike you with bair, if not teched that can gimp hard.

also, never use Phantom, Orbitar is slow but your move is much slower, a reflected Phantom slash can net us 40+ damage or even kill very early near edge, upperdash can reflect this as well, while weaker reflection, but is faster, and is a dashing reflector, can kill at 100% even if phantom is uncharged

again, sorry this came in late, but I hope I contributed some good stuff, and sorry if there were any grammatical mistakes

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
I found that if you see auto reticle starting, you can just Full Hop and fair her during the lag.
can't you Up B to her? most do Auto Reticle by the edge so a farore hit there could give you an easy kill.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Does anyone want to play?

I'd probably give this a 55-45 Palu's advantage.
She doesn't actually beat Zelda that bad.
Palu just has to be aware of Zelda's gimmicks, but she can wall her out pretty easily with spaced f air and b air.
I only give it slight advantage because a lot of Palutena's jab combos dont work for very long on Zelda.

Din's fire and Phantom will probably be useless against Palu, B air goes through dins.
Palu has to be careful with her spacing on Auto Reticle or Zelda can Farore's her.
If you try to elevator palu and miss you will eat a fully charged up smash which will kill you at like 60.
Shield Nayru's an it's punishable.
Just don't run into Zelda's attacks and there isn't much she can do.

No.
She does have issues killing, but dash attack and b air will kill her before 150 when she has rage.
Zelda is light.

Even though it does annoy me that apparently you think it can be as easy as "don't run into her attacks" smh. The same can be said against Palu's aerial walling.

Also, I'd say yes to playing you but 3DS *si* (Unless...you have one.)

Seems late but something about the Shulk write up. Speed doesn't lower Shulk's defense. It lowers his damage output by 20%

Top Bottom