• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A King's Quest For Respect: The Bowser Matchup Thread

Flayl

Smash Hero
Dash Attack beats nado but MK shouldn't be using the tornado in such a position anyway.

DeTa

Smash Apprentice
Hey Bowser mains,
the Link boards from AiB (former smashboard Link community) has been discussing match-ups, and we're now discussing the Bowser MU. I noticed that you guys do not yet have info for Link, so if you guys are willing, it would be a great time to discuss Bowser with us. If you have an AiB account, please go over to the Link boards there and post what you all know from experience the MU. If you don't, I can always copypasta~ the info you post here and give credit to the contributor. Thanks! :D

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
How many Bowsers here don't have an AiB account anyway?

I know Vex, myself, Gen and KK have accounts and are somewhat active on both...somewhat.

Jay and Flayl have one as well but never use them. :/

Erm..anyway, I think we've discussed a little bit of Link a few pages back...

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The character on the AiB boards are just way too inactive for me, so I never made an account.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yeah, I never cared much for AiB. I can almost always find better information over here and last time I checked AiB took most of its stuff from Smashboards. So I never really bothered.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
i just skimmed through the link matchup thread and my favourite part was this gem:
Bowser mains can do something called "Fortressing," which is basically a form of edgehogging by using their downB special to grab the ledge. They can do it grounded or in the air. This was one of the major problems I faced as a Link main because not only is it an effective edgeguarding tool, it's bolstered by Link's bad recovery. Try to pay attention to see if the enemy bowser main is planning on fortressing. When thrown offstage, toss a boomerang toward the ledge to prevent them from doing so.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
How in God's name do you confuse UpB with DownB

for lack of intention to offend anyone, we shouldn't call it "Bombing", even though that's closer to its proper name. Bowser isn't the next Osama, but wtf

B!squick

Smash Master
When we finish with this one. We don't have a complete summary yet. I've been waiting for someone to help fill it out. I got it started many pages back and have since been waiting for further input which, shockingly, hasn't come yet.

So, here we're staying until someone cares enough to help out.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Meta Knight
Ratio: 35:65
Secondary: .... Meta Knight?
What to look out for: Er... everything?
How they will KO you: DAir, Shuttle Loop
Best spacing zone: Jab's pretty much the only thing we can put all our trust in, right?
Grab-Relase
- For damage: Chaingrab + Klaw?
- For the KO: DTilt?
Firebreath: Short burst only, best to avoid completely
Stages
- Strike: {Neutral Stages to Strike}
- Ban: {Stage to ban, account for both conservative and liberal stage lists}
- Pick: {Best and 2nd best stage to choose from, account for both conservative and liberal stage lists}
Link to discussion: {link to either the beginning of the discussion or the most detailed post}

I think this is what Jaydeth is talking about. So until we completely fill that up were not moving on.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I would if I had any experience with good meta knights...

I'd strike Battlefield and Lylat Cruise
Ban Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar depending on your area's map pool
Counterpick Final Destination or Castle Siege/Smashville if Final Destination is banned

The first part of Castle Siege makes it a bit dubious though

I'd add FAir to the grab-release KO methods, DTilt can stay on there but FAir is guaranteed

I haven't analyzed MK's moveset but I'm pretty sure spacing Jab is pointless and you're better off staying at FTilt range

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I much prefer jab over ftilt on the whole. Ftilt's fairly easy to punish for MK if he shields it. I usually only use ftilt if it'll hit MK with the tip of Bowser's knuckles. Any other distance, I stick to jabs.

I agree with striking BF and Lylat.

Flayl

Smash Hero
See this is why MK is a very bad matchup. He easily outspaces Bowser's Jab with moves that are both faster and have less lag.

So you're stuck between giving him a really obvious spacing advantage or spacing with a move he can easily punish.

B!squick

Smash Master
Also, smart use of Firebreath. I know it sounds like a terrible idea, 'cause it's Firebreath and whatnot, but like it or not, it's a projectile. A bad one, but damage is damage, even if you only get 2 or so percent out of it.

Ban Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar depending on your area's map pool
But remember the song? "Still got 3 dawg." :(

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I disagree with using Firebreath at all against MK, at least with the intentions of damaging him. It's just too easy to punish.

That said, it CAN be used to bait MKs to use Tornado on you, at which point you can punish it with Fortress, ftilt, or reverse uptilt.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Fire is great. Good spacing tool, like I always said. Just don't hold that button down. lol

Using Fire to damage MK should never be anyone's intention. Fire is used to harass.

Dash attack can also be used to reset your positioning and get MK in a bad spot. It seems silly, but then it all comes down to prediction. Dash attack beats a lot of things, you just have to be sure that it won't miss. You'll get killed otherwise.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Well I've been utilizing wavebounced Flame Breath a lot more often in general and it seems to do alright in this MU. Not spectacular but it does seem to catch the opponent off guard.

I find myself using aerial Black Hole (Klaw) quite a lot against MK - though it really doesn't work as often as I'd like it to - and spacing Ftilt and pivot grabs against aggressive players. In fact I go for grabs a lot since I have a relatively easy time with the regrab against MK and the release > Fair.

I have no idea if I'm going about the MU right, I don't get to play this one very often... if at all. Honestly can't help with this, we no good MK's here.

B!squick

Smash Master
Fire is great. Good spacing tool, like I always said. Just don't hold that button down. lol

Using Fire to damage MK should never be anyone's intention. Fire is used to harass.
Right. I was saying damage just because I was operating under the assumption that you'd get a hit or two in now and then. And yes, I do talk like that in real life. :p

Meta Knight
Ratio: 35:65
Secondary: .... Meta Knight?
What to look out for: Er... everything?
How they will KO you: DAir, Shuttle Loop
Best spacing zone: Jab/FTilt. Both have their disadvantages.
Grab-Relase
- For damage: Chaingrab + Klaw?
- For the KO: FAir, DTilt
Firebreath: Short burst only, best to avoid completely
Stages
- Strike: Battlefield and Lylat Cruise
- Ban: Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar
- Pick: Final Destination or Castle Siege/Smashville if Final Destination is banned
Link to discussion: {link to either the beginning of the discussion or the most detailed post}

Anything else to add? Specifically where I have question marks.

Flayl

Smash Hero
And Mk's edge-guarding, and his shuttle loop, and his DThrow set-ups, and his planking, and his frame traps, and...

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Why was the ratio previously speculated to be 45:55 again? Why is Bowser not at the bottom of F tier where he belongs?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Something that should probably be mentioned: Grab-releasing into the klaw for a suicide kill, good if you're really behind by % or a stock ahead.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Something that should probably be mentioned: Grab-releasing into the klaw for a suicide kill, good if you're really behind by % or a stock ahead.
Is it possible to air release > aerial Klaw? I don't recall a time I've seen it happen before.

EDIT: Just tried it myself and no it doesn't look like it's possible.

Top Bottom