• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Different Way to Look at copy ability in 1v1

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
Whenever people address the Kirby copy ability, they generally ranked all the abilities based on how good they are. This isn't a good way too look at it in competitive play.

You should approach it in the following way: "Is my opponent's B move more beneficial for me in this match than my inhale?"

In most situations that is a resounding NO. The only time you should want to copy an ability is if you need to counter your opponent's ranged ability (since Kirby's is lacking). Consider it a way to level the playing field. While DK's punch is powerful and fun, is it really better than the chance of getting a Kirbycide or abusing Kirby's starshot? And is it worth the damage you may take while trying to suck your opponent in? No.

Naturally under all circumstances, once you've killed ur opponent and ur a stock ahead, thats when you say HiiiiIIIIiiii, drop the ability and kirbicide.

The following characters' B moves are my belief on which abilities are useful based on how it benefits Kirby 1v1:

Best-
Pit
Wolf
ROB (BeeeeeP)
3D

Useful (Generally if your opponent is camping)-
Lucario
Samus
ZZS
Link
TL
Falco
Snake

Don't Copy-
Everyone else

I probably missed some cause I'm typing this fast, so let me know. I shall edit. CYAS.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Honestly I would still prefer kirbycide over most of those b moves anyways. Free kills are just too good :)

Edit: Not sure if wolf is worth it because his reflector will actually make your lasers hit you back anyways since it doubles the speed. Also wolf has horrible recovery and is the fastest faller in the game making it easy to kirbycide him without actually having kirby die :laugh:
You can just spit him under the stage and then edgehog for example.

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
oh sure, and u can generally jump over his blaster just fine as kirby; however, when you are playing a good wolf, or a spamming wolf especially, its useful to have that ability to stun them, and if used correctly, it should rarely get reflected back at u.

aquanesia

Smash Cadet
Mach Tornado maybe, cause you're going to get very few kirbycides against Metaknight.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
oh sure, and u can generally jump over his blaster just fine as kirby; however, when you are playing a good wolf, or a spamming wolf especially, its useful to have that ability to stun them, and if used correctly, it should rarely get reflected back at u.
hmm yes spamming wolves are annoying :dizzy: i suppose the main reason to give up kirbycide would be to counterspam but the annoying thing is quite a few characters that can spam can reflect too such as pit with his shield and ayayaya :ohwell:

offtopic: reminds me of a game i played against a noob pit that couldnt aim his arrows and i copied his arrows and spammed him back up to like 100% :laugh: he was pissed afterwards even though he couldve just hit down b or side b... and he said he was going to report it to wifiwars and i just thought that was soo ironic :) well i dont think anyone listened to him haha

Edit: you think the ratings on the other b move thread represent the usefulness of the attacks in doubles games?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Faawwwlllcoonnn Pa....(swallow) (high voice) Falcoooon PUNCH!!!!!
lol kirby with C Falcon's power too good. And I dont know about you guys but if you use falcon punch before the peak off your jump you'll boost up so could be used for recovering. Just think 5 falcon punches while trying to get back to the stage lol kirby is too good

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
Fox's doesn't cause flinching and after he gets hit with 1-2 blasts theyll be getting reflected back at you. Shenanigans.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
The best ability to copy is Falcon punch, because you always get unlimited satisfaction when killing enemy Falcon with his own punch. :laugh:

But seriously speaking, I very rarely copy any moves, because kirbysides are really useful and inhale works wonders against opponents rising from the edge, but I think that DK punch and Ike´s eruption can be useful damaging/KO moves against high-damaged opponents due to their super armor frames.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Great point!
However with Extremely campy players, copy is a great way to keep kirby from getting laser spammed to death. My smash community is extremely campy, so copying lasers or arrows always helps alot, I can camp right back if need be.

Mr_Hippie101

Smash Rookie
I usually copy when I'm fighting someone with a halfay decent range attack i.e. Lucario or Samus. . . fox/falco/wolf aren't to bad either.

Marth and Ikes are useless (against them anyway)

Kruton

Smash Ace
P&O's doesn't seem too useful, just because of the randomness of which one you get. I would say Ike's eruption is pretty good too. Oh, and G&W's Chef. Snake if you get good at cooking 'nades.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
P&O's doesn't seem too useful, just because of the randomness of which one you get. I would say Ike's eruption is pretty good too. Oh, and G&W's Chef. Snake if you get good at cooking 'nades.
Don't be too quick to dimiss using it against olimar. If you think about it, kirby's version is actually better than olimars. I can't say I've personally tested in(but now that I mention it, I'll test it in like 10 minutes), but kirby's version supposedly kills Olimar's pikmin, meaning he has to redraw them. Meanwhile, kirby is still spamming them and throwing them faster than Olimar because he doesn't have to worry about using two moves since it's all put together into one.

But again, I haven't personally tested that.

But anyways, a projectile is a projectile. It's safe to say that at a minimum I can't see any disadvantages that kirbies version has over olimar's if it comes to a total spam war. =]

As for g&w, honestly, how the hell do you use this effectively? For some reason whenever I try, I manage to land one hit, and end up getting hit while putting away the pan =[.

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
Yea the only thing G & W's is good for is annoying people who are off the ledge, and Kirby's 6 jumps are better at that. P & O's is worthwhile against a spam bot.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
After playing an extremely campy shiek with needles i think that shiek needs to be added to the useful to copy against a campy opponent seriously those things are sooo obnoxious :(

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather just efficiently spam final cutter and save my inhale rather than use copy abilities. Except for pit

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
What about King Dedede's power? It's similar, but has different physics.

KirbyDe's Power differences:
Better swallow range
Faster pull
You can't Absorb
Your walk distance is shorter when you have them in your mouth
Autospit when a time limit is passed
Turn speed is slower
Starshot is faster
Jump is higher when they're in your mouth = Able to jump off ledge from far away
If you hit the edge when you land, you don't stabilize on the ground; you bounce off the edge instead.
A little worse aircontrol

Overall, the ability to jump off the edge from farther away is a greater benefit than Kirby's standard B.

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
You're basically trading off for a better suck, and you should be able to suck in DDD without getting unished fairly easily.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Best-
Pit
Wolf
ROB (BeeeeeP)
3D

I probably missed some cause I'm typing this fast, so let me know. I shall edit. CYAS.
You missed the best one: Ivysaur

Right after you inhale and steal Ivysaur's ability, he's right in range to just hold the B button down and let him take all the seeds.

Not to mention if he's off the stage but still at relatively low %, instead of intercepting, taunt to get rid of the ability, and suck it in again (because its easier to get him in your inhale than it is to get him in his own B attack, but if you do the inhale, you also get 6% extra mixed in)

Also, take Wolf's off the Best and replace it with Falco's.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Against campers just crouth the projetile and walk a bit between them. it works against most. Also MK, ivysaur, mario, Bowser/charizard, Ike and zelda are usefull powers in there own matchups.
Meta Knights is just a extreamly good move and it will frustrate your opponent. Ivysaurs is free big damage in the right situations, Marios is just great for aproaching , Bowser/charizards is the same as his own but much better because kirby is much smaller compared to his fire. Ikes is really good super armor killing move, and zelda's nuettral b has invincibility frames so you can avoid a lot of stuff. I'm probably forgeting some too. I think inhale is good a lot but a lot of the powers are really good in this game, much moreso than melee.

oh yeah also falcos is really good because its lower to the ground than his own, and a note on O&P, its hilarious because if you get them off the stage at a low angle you can spam it and it will kill them.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
i dont use kirbycide i think its kinda noobish but thats my opinion but nice thread

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i dont use kirbycide i think its kinda noobish but thats my opinion but nice thread
hmm personally i think of kirbycide/underside/starspike as a good punisher/spacing tech against those ppl who love to wait at the edge of the stage while kirby's recovering. either they get inhaled or they move out of the way as you grab the edge. honestly it's a pretty good recovery technique as long as you don't overuse it.

(and besides it's their fault for putting themselves in that position.)

Krii

Smash Journeyman
i personally enjoy falco's blaster. shdl that actually can hit the opponent is never a bad thing.

TuigiX

Smash Rookie
After playing an extremely campy shiek with needles i think that shiek needs to be added to the useful to copy against a campy opponent seriously those things are sooo obnoxious :(
you dont need to copy sheik, all you need to do is crouch to avoid her needles so if he spams them just crouch under it no need to actually Copy the ability.

And about wolf i think he has such a sucky recovery that you best inhale and suicide then actually use his blaster, most of teh time you can kill him and stay alive.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
I think too many people overestimate the kirbycide >.>... it's already hard to actually get a good wolf sucked in so if you do get him just take his laser

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
ZSS's ability isnt all that useful since her whip is longer than the shot, and Link actually has to charge his shots for them to go somewhere. I would rather just kirbycide Link seeing as his recovery isnt exactly the best.

Top Bottom