• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A cool appraoch technique I use.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Losing gets boring. Therefore, Falcon gets boring. For me at least. So, I try to find a secondary, and well, who is manliest after Falcon and Chuck? Ike. So, I've started to second him, and I decided that I would not come to the boards while learning him, as I wanted to develop my own play style first, try and figure out stuff for myself. Jab cancels were second nature for me, having mained Falcon, and N-air combos were subconsciously performed. So I thought, "Are there any other things that I do as Falcon that could apply to Ike?", and I thought of this. Its a basic technique I posted on the Falcon boards some time ago. I called it Jab sliding, but I realise that was stupid. If anything, it should have been land sliding.

Basically, upon landing on a platform, characters will slide depending on the angle they hit the platform at. Some attacks will halt the slide, but jabs, grabs, F-tilt, U-smash, Eruption and shield/spot dodge won't. Its AWESOME! One thing is, the action you perform in the air (if you do) must finish before for you to be able to attack and use the slide. Also, always pull the direction you want to slide in when you land to ensure you get a good long slide. This is best done out of a SH, and you can do B-air, and air dodge or a N-air. I then worked out the best options:

F-tilts range is very good and very misleading using this, so it and jab tend to be my primary uses. What to use in the air is the main question. B-air renders N-air useless, really, so its AD or B-air. I find these to be effective.

Dash Rar SH B-air, land then buffer a turn around jab/F-tilt
The B-air worfks to stop opponents running in, but really its just to cover Ike.

Dash AD land jab/F-tilt
Great against projectiles I find.

Dash close to enemy, Rar AD land retreating jab.
Best defensive one.

If this is old I'm mucho sorry, I saw nothing in the guide and tried searching "slide" and "approach", and got noting.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
How far does Ike slide though? I know Falcon slides a fair bit when you do it right.

And N-air is good because it ACs very easily, while B-air is harder to AC. Is it ACing that lets Nair work for this sliding (because you said the attack had to be finished for you to be able to slide), in which case Dair would work as it has the exact same number of frames as B-air.

I think we are kinda doing this automatically when not using fair, but just not realizing it, or emphasizing it.

More later, eating now.

metroid1117

Smash Master
This seems very interesting... I had known that FAir caused you to slide, but I never considered using BAir. Will you slide from BAir even if you performed it so it would auto-cancel? (Sorry, I can't test this myself right now.)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This does seem interesting. However, for me personally, it's kind of hard to imagine in my head and videos would be appreciated. Even if it is with Falcon.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
How far does Ike slide though? I know Falcon slides a fair bit when you do it right.

Well, its hard to say really lol. Just try it quickly in training, my cameras not working.

And N-air is good because it ACs very easily, while B-air is harder to AC. Is it ACing that lets Nair work for this sliding (because you said the attack had to be finished for you to be able to slide), in which case Dair would work as it has the exact same number of frames as B-air.

Well, I'm sorry, I must have phrased it wrong in the OP. you will slide regardless of the attack you use, but the attack must finish before you land/ac as you land for you to use the slide. And, that b-air D-air seems really... strange. I can do a SH B-air and it finishes before Ike hits the ground, but I can't do it with d-air. :confused:

I think we are kinda doing this automatically when not using fair, but just not realizing it, or emphasizing it.

More later, eating now.
Well, the only thing you must do is land from an angle for the slide to occur, so it works with any aerial.

This seems very interesting... I had known that FAir caused you to slide, but I never considered using BAir. Will you slide from BAir even if you performed it so it would auto-cancel? (Sorry, I can't test this myself right now.)
Upon landing a B-air there is too much lag to use the slide, I think you must immediately issue it after the SH.

Now thats win.
I'm not sure if there is something I have phrased wrong/done stupidly in that thing you quoted, or if you are being serious?

This does seem interesting. However, for me personally, it's kind of hard to imagine in my head and videos would be appreciated. Even if it is with Falcon.
Well, my old youtube account has gone, but here is the Falcon thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215437

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
I've Ryko and Silven do the SH Bair to turnaround jab, but all the rest are new to me.

D

Deleted member

I have a good 2.

just walk at them. so they have to deal with me up close. and then I win.

or I run at them into reverse SH and air dodge through them to a grab or jab combo.

Top Bottom