• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Comprehensive Character Selection Test

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I didn't get my main. But then, that's because you made some fatal assumptions about her (and about the nature of the game's balance in general) that cause a few inaccuracies to pop up. This isn't just the case with my main, either.

For one thing, no aspect of balance is binary, and you assume several to be so. For instance, the direction of KOs can be both for any given character. Many have this same aspect to them. For instance, Fox may have his usmash and uair, but he also has dsmash, fsmash and bair for KO moves. You have him as primarily vertical.

Levitas

the moon
I'm impressed. For the two paths I traced, I got the results I should have based on my decisions.

First I worked forwards to get marth in a very direct and IMO correct manner.

I worked backwards for lucas to see how you categorized him(with a few minor points I disagree on, but still quite good).

There's no way making something like this could be foolproof (I would have used a more open 2nd question along the lines of "what style of play would you emphasize [zoning/traps/combos/priority/movement]), but good job.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, not bad. I got Lucario, but I main Ness. I think Ness recovery is more long-distance than it is anti-gimpable...I mean, PKT2 can get gimped pretty easily. Good job overall though, it's a good idea and executed pretty well.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I got MK my first try, and then I searched the list backwards to discover how you got ZSS... you have some of her attributes completely wrong....

Here are the 2 streams that end in ZSS:

1A>S4>T4>U3>W9+B
1C>S6>T5>U4>W10+B

So according to you, ZSS has the following attributes:
  • Mid-Low/Don't care about Tiers
  • Racks damage fast
  • Likes to use projectiles
  • Better on stage than off stage
  • Single recovery option
  • attacks fast

It's true she does attack fast, and rack damage well, and is around mid-tier.... but the rest is completely wrong

• ZSS is better in the air for the most part, and she has a good off-stage game as well
  • She only has one projectile and it is mediocre at best... she just has a lot of long-ranged melee attacks
  • She has one of the most diverse recoveries in the game, with 3 of her specials actively aiding in recovery, and you can wavebounce her neutral to help even move.

I dunno if any other characters are completely off base like this, but you might want to check

justaway12

Smash Master
I took the test again and I got R.O.B instead of Metaknight I didn't cheat but I made a mistake last time and I had to take it again which is a shame I would have prefered Metaknight over R.O.B :(.

Levitas

the moon
So according to you, ZSS has the following attributes:
  • Mid-Low/Don't care about Tiers
  • Racks damage fast
  • Likes to use projectiles
  • Better on stage than off stage
  • Single recovery option
  • attacks fast

It's true she does attack fast, and rack damage well, and is around mid-tier.... but the rest is completely wrong

• ZSS is better in the air for the most part, and she has a good off-stage game as well
  • She only has one projectile and it is mediocre at best... she just has a lot of long-ranged melee attacks
  • She has one of the most diverse recoveries in the game, with 3 of her specials actively aiding in recovery, and you can wavebounce her neutral to help even move.

I dunno if any other characters are completely off base like this, but you might want to check
I disagree with some things you said.

While it's true that she doesn't use projectiles often in a strict sense, her side b is something that I would call a pseudo projectile. I mean this in that someone who would prefer projectiles would like this move whereas someone who would like melee attacks would prefer something else.

As far as recovery goes, she generally has one course of action that is strictly better than others. Someone like jiggs, MK, or ROB would usually have 2 or 3 routes that are fine at any given time. While she isn't as limited as marth, if I were to classify her, it would be as a single recovery in any given situation.

Lastly, her air game has no relevance to onstage/offstage. She is better onstage than offstage, though she's not gonna get gimped or anything. Look at marth if you want something similar that was classified the same way.

Feel free to disagree. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. or maybe I do.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I disagree with some things you said.

While it's true that she doesn't use projectiles often in a strict sense, her side b is something that I would call a pseudo projectile. I mean this in that someone who would prefer projectiles would like this move whereas someone who would like melee attacks would prefer something else.

As far as recovery goes, she generally has one course of action that is strictly better than others. Someone like jiggs, MK, or ROB would usually have 2 or 3 routes that are fine at any given time. While she isn't as limited as marth, if I were to classify her, it would be as a single recovery in any given situation.

Lastly, her air game has no relevance to onstage/offstage. She is better onstage than offstage, though she's not gonna get gimped or anything. Look at marth if you want something similar that was classified the same way.

Feel free to disagree. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. or maybe I do.
These are the questions I have issues with:

Question 3
A: I like projectiles
B: I like hand to hand combat

Question 4

A. I like a character who’s better on the stage than they are off of it
B. I like a character that is better off the stage than most, even if it means sacrificing some stage presence.

Question 5
[/SIZE]If you answered A to the last question:
Part1.

A. I like having more than one recovery option
B. I don’t mind having only one recovery option because devoting multiple moves to recovery takes away moves I could be killing someone with.
Part 2
If you answered B to the last question THAN THIS IS YOUR FINAL QUESTION:
A. My priority is to cover a large distance with my recovery/up B
B. My priority is to be very hard to gimp while recovering.
Q3. She does have a projectile, it's mediocre, and doesn't come into her game a whole lot. You can call side-B a projectile if you want.... and if you do than i may give you this question.

Q4. her grounded game is subpar... and her aerial game can be done on or off the stage. I personally use her to chase people off the stage constantly... and as such know that her offstage game is above average.

Q5. if you read B, it says "I don’t mind having only one recovery option"... ZSS has 3 recovery options, and her recovery is very versatile and adaptable... the only time she is forced to recovery in a single way is when she is hit low without her second jump.

Levitas

the moon
Q3 we agree on.

Q4 I can understand where you're coming from on the basis that she does a decent job edgeguarding. The only thing I don't like about her offstage game is that she gets exactly one chance to hit before she has to retreat back to the edge or stage.

Q5 I disagree with your analysis. She only has one good option at any given point. I know she can recover with different moves in different ways. However, the only time she can really use 2 different moves effectively is when she's about horizontal with the edge within the range of the down b getting to the stage. And one option will be better than the other if the opponent is near enough to do any edgeguarding, if they're not on the edge already.

In other words, though she seems to have multiple options, she really only has one at any given time in the same way that fox does.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Q3 we agree on.

Q4 I can understand where you're coming from on the basis that she does a decent job edgeguarding. The only thing I don't like about her offstage game is that she gets exactly one chance to hit before she has to retreat back to the edge or stage.

Q5 I disagree with your analysis. She only has one good option at any given point. I know she can recover with different moves in different ways. However, the only time she can really use 2 different moves effectively is when she's about horizontal with the edge within the range of the down b getting to the stage. And one option will be better than the other if the opponent is near enough to do any edgeguarding, if they're not on the edge already.

In other words, though she seems to have multiple options, she really only has one at any given time in the same way that fox does.
I can normally get 2 hits (jump out>hit>jump>hit), Then down-B or tether back

I can't really say anything I haven't already on her recovery... No it isn't in the same class as Jiggs or Rob or MK, but it is really quite good and has varied options. You always keep your recovery unpredictable so you can recovery safely

How much do you really use ZSS?

Tofu_Rodeo

Smash Cadet
Thanks for pointing things out about Zero Suit, I don't know much about her. I did follow the path to get to her and she definitely doesn't fit the questions quite right. One of the shortcomings of the test.

If people think things seriously need to be changed, like new questions, than I can't do anything about that short of starting over. I chose the questions because they cut the groups down, which is obviously not the best reason.

I could switch sheik with ZSS for having multiple recovery options, but sheik has her up b, tether, and the wall cling.
It's up to the masses, but it'll stay how it is for now.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Sheik and ZSS are very similar except for the way they are played. Many people seem to play both (like me)

They are damage racking characters, they have very high/fast jumps, they fall quickly, they have a medium range projectile, they even run the same speed... but there is one major way they are different:

Range is what separates them. ZSS has a several far reaching moves used to space the opponent. She also relies far less on grabs than Sheik

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Very nice, quite accurate.

I main Toon Link and I got SAMUS!!

Pretty similiar. Projectiles, ZAIR, resonably fast.

Grea poll.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
i cant say how much this needs a sticky! CAN A MOD STICKY THIS I AM SUMMONING YOUR GODLY POWERS OF MODDOM TO STICKY THIS AND END THE WHO TO MAIN THREADS! PLEASE WE NEED YOU MODS! STICKY THIS!

SanitysEclips3

Smash Rookie
I already knew my mains but I took the test just for fun...and it was dead accurate O.o. It pinpointed my mains exactly (Falco and Meta Knight).

I consider myself having gotten both of them because I couldn't decide between answers C and D on question four, and choosing one would give me Meta Knight and choosing the other gave me Falco :p

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
This is a very weird test. I didn't need it to tell me that the Power of Aura flows through my veins.

I still got Lucario though, so it's not an inaccurate test.

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
I got metaknight the first time.
Took the quiz again, got metaknight.

Is the universe trying to make me main metaknight?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I got Mario. Who is awesome. Not as awesome as Lucario. But still Awesome.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I got Game and Watch.

On only the basis that I like hand-to-hand (tough Q for me), I do want a character who's got a good chance (by tier), and I "think K.O. potential is important."

That doesn't seem like it narrows it down. If this were to be a good test right now, it shouldn't make too many assumptions about the tier list. And I'm thinking that's probably what this was.

I like Game and Watch... but I didn't imagine I'd use him competitively long after the game got into my hands. I've been looking for someone to shore up the weaknesses of my other mains - sadly Falco can't even do it for Ness and Ganon since his weaknesses overlap in some bad cases - but GnW? I thought I'd go with Snake. The traps are pretty cool.
Or Marth. Hey yeah... why is Marth inconsistent with my answers?

Actually, as an aside, the second question seems bad.... What does it mean? It's both nonexhaustive... and it has overlap. When I assert "killing is important", I'm sort of asserting the same thing as "both are important but if you can't kill that's no good." If I deny that both are important, I'm making a statement of fact which is either correct or incorrect.

EDIT: Hey, Ness is only reachable if you say you like projectiles.
Ness doesn't have projectiles. PK Flash is like a nonexistent part of his game, PK Thunder has specific uses (that all culminate in keeping the opponent from dancing around), and PK Fire isn't so much a projectile as a disjoint hitbox.

Anyway, I took the test and tweaked some answers I wasn't sure of anyway, and got Marth, and got Game and Watch again.
To your credit, it's making me reconsider my Snake plans. Nice test.

c3gill

Smash Ace
awesome! got Lucas first time through :)

Lucario 2nd. pretty cool idea

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I got Squirtle on my first try.

I main Kirby/Sheik/Pika/MK, but I still think my result makes sense. Back when I was playing solely Pokemon Trainer, I used to be so dominant with Squirtle that I thought he was the best character in the game. Honestly, if he was a solo character, I really would main him.

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
I got Jigglypuff, and this makes sense. I like most things about Jigglypuff, but what holds me back from using it is its fall speed.

zaborg2400

Smash Cadet
u21 and B, jigglypuff---my werst and least favorite existing piece of werthless nuthingless evr 2 exist on this athetic trash of a planet. wtf? freakin' jig? cmon? wat the hell? i hate that freek.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol sif i get CF

but it doesnt matter coz its screwed anyway... CF cant kill lol, his damage racking > KO ability

Anyway i prefer my test

1. Do you like Sonic?
Yes - Main Sonic
No - Quit brawl and play another game instead

:p

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
LOL I got Sonic at my first try!!! (T12 and A: Sonic)... This seems good. I'll try new options later...

BTW, good job.

Top Bottom