• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Beginner's Guide to Headbutt

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Hey DK boards. I’ve noticed that I haven’t really contributed anything to the boards yet, so I figured I’d make a small guide about Donkey Kong’s Side Special move, Headbutt. Hopefully this should have at least some use for DK beginners.

Section 1: The basics

It goes without saying that Headbutt is a high risk, high reward sort of move. The reason it’s so risky is due to the large amount of lag you suffer before and after the hitbox appears. Taking some info from the Frame Data thread, Headbutt’s hitbox doesn’t appear until frame 20, and you have to go through over half a second’s lag afterwards, more than enough for any good player to severely punish you. What this basically means is that if you constantly fish around for this move, YOU WILL GET PUNISHED. You have to be smart about when you use it.

But if you DO manage to land it, then you’re in an excellent position, since you can hit your opponent with basically whatever you want to. In addition, if you use this move when your opponent is in the air, if you hit with it properly they should get meteor smashed downwards, useful for edgeguarding opponents with poor recoveries.

BTW, here’s the formula for how long a character stays buried (in frames):
Yes, this was taken from the frame data thread as well…

Frames of buried stun (grounded headbutt) = 96+D – 5N
Frames of buried stun (aerial headbutt) = 114 + D – 5N

D is the % of damage your opponent has taken, whereas N is the amount of times your opponent presses any button. In this sense, the physics of buried stun are very similar to that of grabbing, in that higher damage increases the time spent helpless, while button mashing reduces it.

Section 2: Situations where you can land Headbutt

Considering how slow this move is, you’re not going to be landing it on any opponents in a neutral position (anyone who tries to do so is doing it wrong). No, Headbutt is designed to punish mistakes that your opponents make. Situations where you can land Headbutt include:

- Punishing an attack with a lot of ending lag

- Punishing an aerial attack with a lot of landing lag

- Hitting a helpless opponent just as they hit the ground (such as when they overshoot the ledge when recovering)

- Punishing spotdodges (the high start-up lag gives it a ‘pseudo-linger’ effect)

- Punishing roll dodges (same basic principle as punishing spot dodges)

- Punishing a whiffed tether grab (the only exceptions are Yoshi and Lucas if they pivot grab, and possibly Samus when dash grabbing too)

- After footstooling a ground opponent (Headbutt cancels your upwards momentum, and since they suffer lag you have enough time to do a Headbutt. I’m not sure which characters this does and doesn’t work on, but it works for at least some of them).

So although you won’t be landing a Headbutt on your opponent all too often, whenever your opponent makes a mistake, a good deal of the time you can use a Headbutt to punish them, at which point you can use whatever you want.

Section 3: Recommended follow-ups to Headbutt

OK, so you managed to land a clean Headbutt, and now they’re stuck in the ground, completely defenceless. That’s all well and good, but what are you going to follow up with? Well, most of the time you’ll want to use a move with powerful knockback to try and kill your opponent. Here are the top three best options, in order:

9-wind punch: Strangely enough, a 9-wind punch has more knockback than a ‘steaming’ fully charged punch. Thus, if you have the move charged with 9 winds, then quickly tap B twice to hit them with it, because it’s incredibly powerful, killing light characters at percentages as low as 30%.

Fully charged punch: However, let’s say that instead you have the punch fully charged. Although it’s not as strong as the 9-wind punch, its knockback is still nothing to be sniffed at. A fully charged punch kill the lighter characters at around 50-60%, which isn’t too shabby. This is your second best option.

FSmash: If you haven’t gotten the punch charged at all, then you still have FSmash to fall back on, since Headbutt doesn’t really allow you enough time to charge a Giant Punch while they’re in buried stun. FSmash is another very strong move, and kills light characters at around 70-80%. If you want to, you can try and charge the FSmash a tiny bit before releasing it. However, doing so is risky, because if you’re not careful your opponent may escape before you release it, thus meaning you don’t hit with it at all, which is obviously bad.

USmash: When a character escapes from the buried stun, they experience a brief amount of jump lag. With proper timing, you can land a charged USmash, since they suffer 11 frames of lag, while USmash has a charge release of 8 frames. If you charge it up enough the potential killing power of it can be huge.

These are, overall, the three best moves you can use after a successful grounded Headbutt if you want to kill your opponent. Since Donkey Kong can start killing opponents at low percents this way, you usually have something to kill your opponent with. If, however, you land it at very low percents where you can’t kill your opponent, then for racking up damage Spinning Kong works well. I also recommend DSmash because if they escape early it should still hit them (hopefully). FSmash sometimes works, depending on how fast they button mash.

Section 4: Other uses for Headbutt

Now, Headbutt’s uses are by no means limited to simply smacking opponents into the ground. No, there are a couple of other (admittedly situational) uses for this move, and here are the main two other uses:

- Headbutt can be used as a meteor smash. Now, at first, you may think, ‘But he already has Fair and Dair to meteor smash. What good does another one do?’ Ah, well here’s the good thing about it. When you do Fair and Dair, you’re falling for the entire duration of the move, and since both moves last almost a whole second, you can sometimes fall too far and end up dying due to Donkey Kong’s poor vertical recovery. However, Headbutt stalls you in the air until the hitbox appears, meaning that you don’t fall for as long, making recovery much more likely. In addition, if you run along the edge, and use Headbutt just as you’re about to fall off, you’ll slide along the air and perform it (useful for edgeguarding). Be aware that sometimes the meteor smash won’t hit, and instead you’ll get a weak 8% hit that bounces them upwards slightly.

- You can also use it to stall your recovery. Now, Donkey Kong’s recovery is very predictable, since the only resources he has to recover are his second jump and Spinning Kong, his up B move. However, if you use Headbutt in the air, as stated in the previous paragraph you will float in the air until the hitbox appears. If your opponent is trying to edgeguard you, this can potentially throw off their timing, and thus giving you the opportunity to up B back to the stage without being punished. You can’t do this trick too far below the stage though, or you’ll fall too far and be unable to recover.

Section 5: Conclusion

Overall, although Headbutt is a very risky move and should only be used occasionally, when the opportunity arises to use it then you should definitely take it. It essentially guarantees your opponent’s death from around 70%+, even less if you’re careful with how you charge your punches. In a game like Brawl, you need to take advantage of as many moves as you can, and Headbutt it no exception.

I hope that this guide helps new Donkey Kong players regarding how and when to use Headbutt. And thus this concludes my first proper contribution to the Donkey Kong boards. If there’s anything you think I missed, then tell me and I’ll put it in, giving you full credit for it.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Headbutting the opposite direction of the stage while recovering allows you to bair towards the stage. This can be useful sometimes :p
Reverse Giant Punch if not fully charged can do the same, then cancel the charge.

daisho

Smash Lord
Thanks for doing this but you left alot of things out.

-You listed four moves but you said three.
-You said how 9 wind can kill as early as 30 but you won't be hitting anybody until they are at 90% because they can break out. The same goes for F smash, Punch can hit slightly earlier.
-D smash is a better option at lower percents.
-If you can time it jumping and fairing uairing or dairing is better at low percents since you have a better chance of doing something.
-At mid-percents where you won't kill up b is a good option since it can do up to 36%.
-Up smash is not smart to charge it, it is useful to try to predict when they will release and do a hyphen u smash. Then the next time they may not recover as fast expecting a u smash.
-You did not include the new ATs that have been found in the past week where you can B reverse a grounded side b to get a boost, while doing it off the edge you get a bigger boost.
- Using SH bair to side b is a good opportunity to land it because they may be expecting another bair.
- You did not mention its shieldbreaking properties. You can break their shield if they are shield happy, after a few bair right next to each other predict a shield and side b. Charged F smash and they are dead at most percents.

Luigi player

Smash Master
B reversed side B off the edge is too good. This could also be a nice mindgame for many characters, but for most of them only on fall-through platforms, because they fall too fast.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I mentioned who GFSC side b does not work on in the side b notes in my frame data thread. You should mention that grounded headbutts have more reach than aerial ones but are worse in every other way. Grounded headbutts always do the 8% weak hit on airborne opponents (it can't spike) and aerial headbutts do the 8% hit on airborne opponents when you hit at max range.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
-You listed four moves but you said three.
Punch/Fsmash/Usmash... sounds like three
-You said how 9 wind can kill as early as 30 but you won't be hitting anybody until they are at 90% because they can break out. The same goes for F smash, Punch can hit slightly earlier.
He was just explaining how strong the move is.
-D smash is a better option at lower percents.
Better option over Usmash at higher percents too imo.
-If you can time it jumping and fairing uairing or dairing is better at low percents since you have a better chance of doing something.
Yeah, I get some sweet uairs/dairs.
-At mid-percents where you won't kill up b is a good option since it can do up to 36%.
Yup.
-Up smash is not smart to charge it, it is useful to try to predict when they will release and do a hyphen u smash. Then the next time they may not recover as fast expecting a u smash.
Yurp.
-You did not include the new ATs that have been found in the past week where you can B reverse a grounded side b to get a boost, while doing it off the edge you get a bigger boost.
- Using SH bair to side b is a good opportunity to land it because they may be expecting another bair.
Only on bigger characters, I never landed this on Pikachu, but a few times on D3.
- You did not mention its shieldbreaking properties. You can break their shield if they are shield happy, after a few bair right next to each other predict a shield and side b. Charged F smash and they are dead at most percents.
YUP.

MTHunter

Smash Rookie
1. The headbutt is its own damage plus the move you use after they are grounded.
2. The headbutt is one of the biggest mindgames; especially for characters that try to grab expecting you to land in front of them.
3. The headbutt is a free kill at high percentages.
4. The headbutt spikes.

The headbutt is my favorite move in DK's arsenal. @([.V.])@

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
short hop over snakes dash attack or falco's phantasm and then side b backwards.

xINiiTrOI

Smash Cadet
Mindgames/ shield pressure with Bair and butt:

The HeadButt is really good to after a bair storm. If you anticipate them sheildgrabbing your bair, just do a side b right after bair, and u will still b in the air when it hits them. This will lead to a:

1.) Opponet in the mud or

2.) A very weak shield. Since of the lag they will probaly end up getting the shield grab, but thats ok. When they attempt to follow up do a grounded up-b, which will work to wreck their shield, and at this point if u land a down-b thats a shield break. :)

If they suspect you doing a side-b after a bair the only way they can avoid it is with a dodge.

All you do is FF then turn around grab.

^Srs try this **** and see how much ur dk improves.^

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
That's a good guide, IMO.

DK's Headbutt is included in my gameplay, specially in my spike game. The headbutt isn't a powerful spike compared with Fair or Dair, but it's much more safe.

I use the Headbutt to try to break shields sometimes (2 Headbutts can do that) and If I break my opponent's shield, I'm able to perform: Down Taunt --> Giant Punch/Fsmash.

Mindgames/ shield pressure with Bair and butt:

The HeadButt is really good to after a bair storm. If you anticipate them sheildgrabbing your bair, just do a side b right after bair, and u will still b in the air when it hits them. This will lead to a:

1.) Opponet in the mud or

2.) A very weak shield. Since of the lag they will probaly end up getting the shield grab, but thats ok. When they attempt to follow up do a grounded up-b, which will work to wreck their shield, and at this point if u land a down-b thats a shield break. :)

If they suspect you doing a side-b after a bair the only way they can avoid it is with a dodge.

All you do is FF then turn around grab.

^Srs try this **** and see how much ur dk improves.^
I use this trick sometimes.

Quite Agreed.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
idk if anyone has mentioned this but if you're being hit with several weak attacks that is juggling you such as bowser/zard flamethrower or Sheik's ftilt you can use headbutt to hit them(with sheik you have to DI behind them and do it but it works)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Works soooooooo good on falco's jab combo. You have to DI up first though because if not then you get pushed too far back, it's weird.

Top Bottom