• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"A Bad Smash Day..."- Conker for Ultimate!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Who is Conker you say?

For those who aren't aware, Conker T. Squirrel is the main protagonist of the Conker series created by Rare, also known for Banjo-Kazooie.

Conker is a red squirrel that made his debut as a playable character in Diddy Kong Racing, afterwards he was moved on to star in his own series starting with his N64 title Twelve Tales: 64 (formerly named Conker Quest), a platformer marked towards young audiences, however it was seen as too similar to Banjo-Kazooie (another platforming animal kid friendly game), the game was completely revamped into a gritty, foul, violent, adult orientated game famously known as Conker's Bad Fur Day where instead of being a happy chipper little fellow, Conker eventually grew up to become a wise-cracking, alcoholic, cash-grubbing anti-hero.

Years went by as Microsoft purchased Rare, there was orginially going to be a Bad Fur Day sequel but was eventually canned leading Rare to create a mere remake instead called Conker Live and Reloaded, with cancelled games and despite being featured in Project Spark and Microsoft's Hololens known as "Young Conker", there hasn't been a proper full-fledged Conker game ever since....

However, perhaps Sakurai could do the drunken rodent justice at last....

But Dee if we're even getting a Rare rep at all, wouldn't Banjo and Kazooie be more likely?

First off, don't use that dumb word. We're playing as characters not "representatives".
Second off, indeed you're correct.
However, while the bear and bird have a much higher chance than the squirrel (heck, i'd pick them myself). It's been quite evident that Microsoft takes quite a bit of liking to Conker if they've been trying to go out of their way to please Conker fans by putting him in Project Spark and trying to use him for their Hololens, (despite the redesign being hideous.).
If Phil Spencer wouldn't mind seeing Banjo in Smash, then I sure don't see Conker being impossible either.

But Nintendo would never approve of someone raunchy or mature like him!
Sure as heck didn't stop Snake or Bayonetta, at least Conker is cartoony so he'd fit like glove.
And as far raunchy goes, there's Wario.

What would Conker do in Smash?

That's the fun part! While Conker would have a few basic punches and tail swipes, I think the most interesting way is to corporate "Context Sensitive" into his moveset.
For those who haven't played Conker, Context Sensitives are situations where Conker is able to use any item that he precisely needs hence the term.
For Smash, Conker can uses any items he needs as to attack his opponents and judging how precise you activate them, the results can lead to devastating and hilarious blows! They are activated when a light-bulb lits above Conker's head making a *TING* sound.
Feel free if you have any movesets to share!

Conker could also provide great comic relief to the game by spouting out occasional one-liners and quips to his opponents once he KOs and bringing out meta commentary to not only the characters but other elements such as stages, items, trophies etc.

He could even possibly have his own stage with a Codec/Guidance ala Pit/Snake with Birdy The Scarecrow where they often break the fourth wall while discussing other fighters.

Game History:
- Conker's Pocket Tales (GB Color, 1999)

- Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64, 2001)
- Conker: Live & Reloaded (XBOX, 2005)

"Smash huh? Guess it's gonna be one of those days again..."

Support Squirrels:
Originality
PsychoJosh
FunAtParties
SEGAGameBoy
Russell_SSB
Dyllybirdy
AirMac1
smashingDoug
amazonevan19
Mr. Stevenson
TheBeastHimself
Diddy Kong
Zack.E
KirbyWorshipper
EarlTamm
JokalJackal​

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
While Banjo is already kinda a long shot, I would love Conker even more than them. Definitely support

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Conker was my favorite of the Rare N64 platformers. I've wanted him in Smash since Melee, but the Microsoft buyout all those years ago kinda made that impossible.

I'm down to support him.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Diddy Kong Racing for my N64. Never actually played a Conker game. I support!

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Let's dream the impossible dream and get both Banjo and conker in.

Long as Sakurai's making the call to Microsoft for Banjo and maybe Steve, he might as well ask if they'd be willing to toss in Conker for good measure too. ;)

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
While I’m supporting Banjo-Kazooie more, I’d totally be fine if Microsoft throws an extra bone to the Rare fanbase by including a Conker AT, this is more of a “would like to see” thread rather than “expecting to” anyway.

Added more supporters btw!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I only played the Gameboy game, and of course Diddy Kong Racing, but am totally down for this.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Honestly, I've always liked Conker over Banjo and most of the Rare era of characters in Nintendo. I honestly don't think he is going to be playable but if by the off chance our squirrel makes it, I'll be more glad.

It is going to be one of those days, indeed~

:bowser:.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Thought I'd whip up a Conker Moveset, cause why not? (Moved this here 'cause they didn't want it on the Banjo thread. :p )

Jab: Smack foes with his frying pan. A successful hit will lead into two more hits, with the third knocking backwards.

F-tilt: Another smack with the frying pan. Hits harder than jabbing.

Up-tilt: An upward swing with the pan. Hits above Conker.

Down-Tilt: Performs a crouch spin with his tail, causing minimal damage but tripping opponents.

F-Smash: A hard whack with his nail-covered baseball bat. Projectiles will be skewered and halted, but catching a projectile will activate a short animation in which Conker removes the object and tosses it aside.

Up-Smash: Swings upward with his bat. Doesn't hit behind. Spikes skewer projectiles.

Down-Smash: Spins in a circle with his bat. Spikes skewer projectiles.

Note: All specials (except Up-B) cause a lightbulb to flash above Conker's head upon activation.

Nuteral-Special: Context Sensitive. This changes depending on the situation. If shielding, Conker dons the special armor for the Tediz segment of his and gets a free perfect shield if it blocks an attack. If in the air, Conker whips out a grappling hook to attempt to tether an opponent or the stage. On the ground, Conker equips his helmet and cigar and whips out some Smash-Approved weapon to attack with.

Side-Special: Conker whips out his throwing knives and hurls three forward. Can be cancled mid throws.

Down-Special: Conker pulls out his pocket watch and swings it in front of himself. If you input the move again, or the watch swings three times, Conker will snap his fingers and daze anyone standing in front of him within a short range. Basically Mewtwo's Disable.

Up-Special: Conker spins his tail and helicopters into the air. Not very good vertical recovery, but he decends slowly for a few seconds after peaking as he does in his games.

Grabs: Nothing interesting about his throws, but the grabbing animation mimics his money-swipe from BFD.

Final Smash: Conker charges forward with a shoulder-check. Anyone he hits is knocked into a cinematic: The foe lands in the vault from the endgame of BFD, and Conker runs up in his mech-suit and bashes the opponent several time to rack up damage before knocking them out the airlock, killing players above 100% damage.

Just my take on what the squirrel would play like.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Nice summary and ideas from his game for a hypothetical playable Conker.

Overall it is good.

The 'context sensitive' is appreciated.

:bowser:.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I hate to say it but Conker's Bad Fur Day (being the biggest and best Conker game) was never released in Japan, despite being a Nintendo game! Unfortunately since Nintendo is a Japanese company, I'm not really sure if Sakurai and the other developers of Smash Bros even know him!
To be honest, Conker is easily my most wanted character for Smash (I also want Banjo Kazooie but honestly I'd take Conker over Banjo any day,)!

The content of BDF isn't a problem at all nowadays! But with what I said above, do you guys still think he has a chance (considering the fact that all DLC characters will be unexpected and perhaps from 3rd party series that haven't been represented yet in Smash)??

I sure hope so tho! Just Imagine how awesome it would be to be able to set a battle between Donkey Kong:ultdk:, Diddy Kong:ultdiddy:, Banjo Kazooie
, and Conker
(the ultimate Rare gang)!!!

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
No Battletoads?
Yeah, I guess the Battletoads would also be really cool choices for wacky fighters!
Rash
should be the main playable character, Zitz and Pimple should just be pallette swaps! I just didn't include them because they're more distant than Banjo and Conker when it comes to Nintendo!

With that being said, I think the toads would be more than welcomed after these two get in! One thing is for sure, their moveset would be pretty unique, I can already picture some of it (front smash=giant punch or kick)!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I hate to say it but Conker's Bad Fur Day (being the biggest and best Conker game) was never released in Japan, despite being a Nintendo game! Unfortunately since Nintendo is a Japanese company, I'm not really sure if Sakurai and the other developers of Smash Bros even know him!
Nintendo and Rare had a pretty tight-knit partnership going on back then, and since Nintendo published Bad Fur Day, I'm sure the company is aware of them. And Nintendo did choose the DLC after all, not Sakurai and his team. Also, if Sakurai goes after Banjo, I'm sure Microsoft would mention the other popular Rareware character.

I'd really like to see more Conker support. I love the character, and I think his game was absolutely brilliant and so cleverly designed. While I think Banjo/Steve would have first dibs if Microsoft is lending any character, I still feel that Conker has a chance after that. A lot of people say that his source material is too vulgar for Smash, but Conker doesn't need an M-rated moveset to function in the game.

D

Deleted member

It would be neat to see him present in Smash in any form, tbh.

TheBeastHimself

It would be neat to see him present in Smash in any form, tbh.
I agree. I wouldn't be upset if he was a spirit or AT. But if he's an AT I'd want him to be super drunk and peeing on everyone, but that isn't a possibility unfortunately.

TheBeastHimself

Does anyone think that Conker has a chance knowing that both Banjo and Steve are potential competitors? I really want him, but I don't know where his chances lie.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Does anyone think that Conker has a chance knowing that both Banjo and Steve are potential competitors? I really want him, but I don't know where his chances lie.
That's exactly what I want to know as well!
At first I thought it was kind of likely, due to the fact that (along with Banjo) he once was a Nintendo character (and even shared the same universe as Mario and DK)!
But when I see everyone supporting Banjo and ignoring Conker (which is something that really pisses me off) and even heard that his game was never released in Japan, my hopes kind of died!
Like you said, Nintendo did publish and support Bad Fur Day! They were even responsible for a seperate booth at E3 2000 where people would have to show their ID in order to play the game, and even gave out beer and condoms (yes, Nintendo was in charge of something like that)!

Now, I have nothing against Banjo Kazooie at all, but if you ask me, Conker deserves way more to be included in Smash Bros as a newcomer than Banjo!
This might be controversial, but for me, Banjo Kazooie is just another 3d platformer, whereas Conker's Bad Fur Day is one of the most memorable, creative and unique 3d platformers that I've ever played (right next to super mario 64)! Banjo's creativity is kind of lame and unispired, it just involves putting googly eyes on random objects/items, BFD is a hell of alot more than that!
Of course if we could have both, it would be much more satisfying, but if I had to choose, it would undoubtedly be Conker!

And like I said, considering the fact that nowadays we got Snake and even Bayonetta, the content of Bad Fur Day is no longer an issue, I mean no way in hell is Bayonetta more apropriate and fitting than Conker! Besides, Conker himself isn't that much of an M-rated character, only the majority of the characters that interact with him, are! I mean, he doesn't even swear and has kind of a friendly behavior (most notably in his idle animations)! Sure he uses guns, gets drunk and smokes, but so did many children's cartoon characters like Tom and Jerry and the looney tunes!
I still can't understand how Nintendo had problems with Conker's Bad Fur Day being super innapropriate, yet they know co-own and publish Bayonetta games, seriously at least (innapropiate content aside), Conker's Bad Fur Day tottally plays and feels like Nintendo game!

But I doubt that Sakurai and his team have any knowledge of the character and his games, which is the fatal flaw! They aren't even very familiar and interested with western videogame series, seeing as how Diddy and King K.rool are the only western characters!
But hey, Sakurai is a man who likes to surprise and shock people! Maybe Microsoft can convince him to do something with the character, even if it's just adding him as a spirit, but still, I think that's very unlikely, sadly!

TheBeastHimself

That's exactly what I want to know as well!
At first I thought it was kind of likely, due to the fact that (along with Banjo) he once was a Nintendo character (and even shared the same universe as Mario and DK)!
But when I see everyone supporting Banjo and ignoring Conker (which is something that really pisses me off) and even heard that his game was never released in Japan, my hopes kind of died!
Like you said, Nintendo did publish and support Bad Fur Day! They were even responsible for a seperate booth at E3 2000 where people would have to show their ID in order to play the game, and even gave out beer and condoms (yes, Nintendo was in charge of something like that)!

Now, I have nothing against Banjo Kazooie at all, but if you ask me, Conker deserves way more to be included in Smash Bros as a newcomer than Banjo!
This might be controversial, but for me, Banjo Kazooie is just another 3d platformer, whereas Conker's Bad Fur Day is one of the most memorable, creative and unique 3d platformers that I've ever played (right next to super mario 64)! Banjo's creativity is kind of lame and unispired, it just involves putting googly eyes on random objects/items, BFD is a hell of alot more than that!
Of course if we could have both, it would be much more satisfying, but if I had to choose, it would undoubtedly be Conker!

And like I said, considering the fact that nowadays we got Snake and even Bayonetta, the content of Bad Fur Day is no longer an issue, I mean no way in hell is Bayonetta more apropriate and fitting than Conker! Besides, Conker himself isn't that much of an M-rated character, only the majority of the characters that interact with him, are! I mean, he doesn't even swear and has kind of a friendly behavior (most notably in his idle animations)! Sure he uses guns, gets drunk and smokes, but so did many children's cartoon characters like Tom and Jerry and the looney tunes!
I still can't understand how Nintendo had problems with Conker's Bad Fur Day being super innapropriate, yet they know co-own and publish Bayonetta games, seriously at least (innapropiate content aside), Conker's Bad Fur Day tottally plays and feels like Nintendo game!

But I doubt that Sakurai and his team have any knowledge of the character and his games, which is the fatal flaw! They aren't even very familiar and interested with western videogame series, seeing as how Diddy and King K.rool are the only western characters!
But hey, Sakurai is a man who likes to surprise and shock people! Maybe Microsoft can convince him to do something with the character, even if it's just adding him as a spirit, but still, I think that's very unlikely, sadly!
I agree with pretty much everything you said here. There isn't any game out there that's like Bad Fur Day, that's what I love about it. Maybe if we kept this thread alive and tried to keep discussion going, others will catch on and maybe their interests sparked. If Nintendo goes for a Rare character (Banjo), I feel like Microsoft would mention Conker to them because he is the next most notable IP from them (I know GoldenEye but no James Bond has no chance). I honestly just wish I saw more Conker support in general. I know the game is critically-acclaimed so I don't know why when it comes to Smash everyone just suddenly loses interest. I know it's probably because Banjo and Steve are most likely when it comes to Microsoft but that doesn't mean we have to completely neglect Conker either.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
I agree with pretty much everything you said here. There isn't any game out there that's like Bad Fur Day, that's what I love about it. Maybe if we kept this thread alive and tried to keep discussion going, others will catch on and maybe their interests sparked. If Nintendo goes for a Rare character (Banjo), I feel like Microsoft would mention Conker to them because he is the next most notable IP from them (I know GoldenEye but no James Bond has no chance). I honestly just wish I saw more Conker support in general. I know the game is critically-acclaimed so I don't know why when it comes to Smash everyone just suddenly loses interest. I know it's probably because Banjo and Steve are most likely when it comes to Microsoft but that doesn't mean we have to completely neglect Conker either.
Alrighty, listen up fellers, 'cause I come from the Banjo thread with news: You may not have a lot of evidence for a possible Conker inclusion, but rest assured, the possiblity is there. It has been revealed that Microsoft and the Big N are teaming up to bring XBox Live to the Switch. This opens the door primarily for the two big juggernauts, Banjo and Steve, but Conker gets just as much of a chance thanks to the inclusions of the explosive-happy Snake and the not-so-subtle Bayo. Conker will certainly have to wait for Banjo and Steve to be confirmed/deconfirmed before he has a solid chance, but regardless, he still has a chance.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Alrighty, listen up fellers, 'cause I come from the Banjo thread with news: You may not have a lot of evidence for a possible Conker inclusion, but rest assured, the possiblity is there. It has been revealed that Microsoft and the Big N are teaming up to bring XBox Live to the Switch. This opens the door primarily for the two big juggernauts, Banjo and Steve, but Conker gets just as much of a chance thanks to the inclusions of the explosive-happy Snake and the not-so-subtle Bayo. Conker will certainly have to wait for Banjo and Steve to be confirmed/deconfirmed before he has a solid chance, but regardless, he still has a chance.
Yeah, Conker's moveset wouldn't really be that M-Rated. I mean he's got guns (:ultbayonetta:), explosives (:ultsnake:), a frying pan. His down air could be turning into an anvil. I mean the list goes on and on. The moveset potential is 100% there, just like Banjo. The thing is, if Nintendo goes to Microsoft for characters, we don't know if they'll be targeting Microsoft characters or Rare characters. Banjo and Steve are a 50/50 shot to me, and like you said, they are the most likely for Microsoft reps. But would Nintendo allow for another Microsoft character? Because if they do, I feel like it would be the other that didn't get in first. And then Conker. Seeing three Microsoft reps in one Smash game just seems like a reeeeeeal stretch but who knows? If Banjo gets in, they might add Conker too. Everyone's assuming Steve is a huge competitor but we don't know that 100%. I'm glad the possibility is there, but man if Nintendo was still with Rare... Things would definitely be different.

TheBeastHimself

I'm going to be using all my power to keep this thread alive. It's fine if people don't think Conker is likely or if Banjo and Steve have better chances. Talking about outrageous character picks is what Smash speculation is all about. Anyway, here's something I've been wondering:

If Conker was to get in, which version of him would they use? There's three top contenders: Bad Fur Day version, Live and Reloaded version, and Big Reunion version.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Still refusing to give up on this thread. I made a recent discovery: Microsoft has been using the Conker IP way more than Banjo. Although Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts (2008) is a thing, Microsoft produced Conker: Live & Reloaded (2005), Conker's Big Reunion (Project Spark, 2015), and Young Conker (Hololens, 2016). It appears on the Microsoft end of things, they prefer using Conker over Banjo when it comes to Rare IPs. Now this isn't me trying to bash Banjo because I still think he has a higher overall chance of getting in, but this just confirms to me that if Nintendo goes to Microsoft/Rare for a Smash character, they'd undoubtedly mention Conker.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Still refusing to give up on this thread
Well that makes two of us!!!
Glad with the Xbox Live coming to the Switch announcement (thanks for the heads-up Zipster), it might not be the most convincing, but it's a start!
If that happens, we might get Rare Replay ported on the Switch (which I assume most people will react very positively), and with that, Sakurai can get to know more about Conker and his games!

Now If only Conker could get the amount of fan support that Banjo is getting, he could become a likely newcomer choice!

I really get confused with this situation, I mean just think about it, Conker and Banjo Kazooie have always been the true legendary icons of Rare; both very successfull series that are loved by Rare and Nintendo fans alike; both originated in Diddy Kong racing (a first party Nintendo game), and have been 2nd Party Nintendo characters until Microsoft bought Rare; since then, both series suffered quite a meltdown, and fans were severely disappointed with the cancelation of Banjo Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day, and the release of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and Conker Live and Reloaded/Big Reunion/Young Conker; and when Rare Replay got released, I even heard most people saying that the game was worth it just because of Conker's Bad Fur Day.
And yet, all I see is people cheering up for Banjo and even saying "Banjo come home", and not even a single mention of Conker when it comes to Smash Brothers! It doesn't make any sense at all!

Don't get me wrong, I like Banjo Kazooie and I think it deserves the amount of care and support that it's been getting from fans, I just think that Conker should totally, at least, be getting as much support and care as Banjo!

As for Steve, fortunately, I really don't think he is that much of a likely pick for a newcomer, because most people don't want him, and have been reacting very negatively when they heard that he might get a chance of being chosen! I don't blame them cuz I can't really see the appeal of getting an unnexpressive blocky character with not much else than just a sword and a bow!

If Conker was to get in, which version of him would they use? There's three top contenders: Bad Fur Day version, Live and Reloaded version, and Big Reunion version.
Definitely the Bad Fur Day design, it's easily the most recognizable and popular version of Conker (no wonder why, since it belongs to the most successfull game of its series), which is also very similiar, if not the same as his DD racing/twelve tales/Pocket Tales design! And let's not forget that Sakurai prefers the classic version of most characters such as Simon Belmont and Lucas!

Based on what I said above, I'd say that, out of all the 3rd party characters (in or outside of Smash), Conker and Banjo are easily and undoubtedly the most deserving and fitting ones to appear in Smash (I will always consider them as Nintendo characters, even if they aren't owned by Nintendo anymore)

Now let's just hope for the best! Glad to find someone who gets why he really deserves and is tottally missing in such a big Nintendo crossover!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Well that makes two of us!!!
Glad with the Xbox Live coming to the Switch announcement (thanks for the heads-up Zipster), it might not be the most convincing, but it's a start!
If that happens, we might get Rare Replay ported on the Switch (which I assume most people will react very positively), and with that, Sakurai can get to know more about Conker and his games!

Now If only Conker could get the amount of fan support that Banjo is getting, he could become a likely newcomer choice!

I really get confused with this situation, I mean just think about it, Conker and Banjo Kazooie have always been the true legendary icons of Rare; both very successfull series that are loved by Rare and Nintendo fans alike; both originated in Diddy Kong racing (a first party Nintendo game), and have been 2nd Party Nintendo characters until Microsoft bought Rare; since then, both series suffered quite a meltdown, and fans were severely disappointed with the cancelation of Banjo Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day, and the release of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and Conker Live and Reloaded/Big Reunion/Young Conker; and when Rare Replay got released, I even heard most people saying that the game was worth it just because of Conker's Bad Fur Day.
And yet, all I see is people cheering up for Banjo and even saying "Banjo come home", and not even a single mention of Conker when it comes to Smash Brothers! It doesn't make any sense at all!

Don't get me wrong, I like Banjo Kazooie and I think it deserves the amount of care and support that it's been getting from fans, I just think that Conker should totally, at least, be getting as much support and care as Banjo (I personally think he deserves more, like I already mentioned, but that's just me)!

As for Steve, fortunately, I really don't think he is that much of a likely pick for a newcomer, because most people don't want him, and have been reacting very negatively when they heard that he might get a chance of being chosen! I don't blame them cuz I can't really see the appeal of getting an unnexpressive blocky character with not much else than just a sword and a bow!

Definitely the Bad Fur Day design, it's easily the most recognizable and popular version of Conker (no wonder why, since it belongs to the most successfull game of its series), which is also very similiar, if not the same as his DD racing/twelve tales/Pocket Tales design! And let's not forget that Sakurai prefers the classic version of most characters such as Simon Belmont and Lucas!

Based on what I said above, I'd say that, out of all the 3rd party characters (in or outside of Smash), Conker and Banjo are easily and undoubtedly the most deserving and fitting ones to appear in Smash (I will always consider them as Nintendo characters, even if they aren't owned by Nintendo anymore)

Now let's just hope for the best! Glad to find someone who gets why he really deserves and is tottally missing in such a big Nintendo crossover!
Not to mention, Banjo and Conker have both appeared in the same amount of games: 6. They're practically brothers yet one gets neglected and one doesn't. I went to other sites to try and find what the general consensus is on Conker and I've seen people say that nobody knows who he is, and I've been shot down multiple times by people saying Banjo deserves it. Maybe this is just me, but I thought a lot of people knew about Conker just because of Bad Fur Day. I know it didn't get a lot of initial sales but that game reached the status of a classic Rare game, up in the ranks of Banjo-Kazooie.

Something else I'm seeing is a lot of people acting as if Conker is a breathing M-rating. Maybe it's faulty memory on their part, but Conker hardly swore in Bad Fur Day, and there were only two parts of the game where you drink. I don't know why many believe that if alcohol wasn't in Conker's moveset, they wouldn't be doing the character justice. He has so many other moves that fit the T-rated criteria of Smash, not to mention that his personality isn't exactly M-rated. It's everything around him that is M-rated. So he could still totally fit in with all the others on the roster with no problem. If Conker can appear in Project Spark (a T-rated game) and work fine without booze or the occasional swear, then he'd be fine in Smash.

I actually made a powerpoint in The Anigriffin The Anigriffin fashion to demonstrate why Conker should be considered for the game instead of being immediately dismissed. It addresses the common arguments/complaints people make against the character. You can check it out if you want here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1chq9C7wHbIY1-nW_y0iZaFktuCHAvoITJH7nkyytwv4/edit#slide=id.p

But yeah, I find Conker just as much of an icon as Banjo. Maybe not exactly, but close enough. Conker is still up there as a classic who'd be a perfect fit for Smash, so I don't know where all the Conker fans are at.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Not to mention, Banjo and Conker have both appeared in the same amount of games: 6. They're practically brothers yet one gets neglected and one doesn't. I went to other sites to try and find what the general consensus is on Conker and I've seen people say that nobody knows who he is, and I've been shot down multiple times by people saying Banjo deserves it. Maybe this is just me, but I thought a lot of people knew about Conker just because of Bad Fur Day. I know it didn't get a lot of initial sales but that game reached the status of a classic Rare game, up in the ranks of Banjo-Kazooie.

Something else I'm seeing is a lot of people acting as if Conker is a breathing M-rating. Maybe it's faulty memory on their part, but Conker hardly swore in Bad Fur Day, and there were only two parts of the game where you drink. I don't know why many believe that if alcohol wasn't in Conker's moveset, they wouldn't be doing the character justice. He has so many other moves that fit the T-rated criteria of Smash, not to mention that his personality isn't exactly M-rated. It's everything around him that is M-rated. So he could still totally fit in with all the others on the roster with no problem. If Conker can appear in Project Spark (a T-rated game) and work fine without booze or the occasional swear, then he'd be fine in Smash.

I actually made a powerpoint in The Anigriffin The Anigriffin fashion to demonstrate why Conker should be considered for the game instead of being immediately dismissed. It addresses the common arguments/complaints people make against the character. You can check it out if you want here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1chq9C7wHbIY1-nW_y0iZaFktuCHAvoITJH7nkyytwv4/edit#slide=id.p

But yeah, I find Conker just as much of an icon as Banjo. Maybe not exactly, but close enough. Conker is still up there as a classic who'd be a perfect fit for Smash, so I don't know where all the Conker fans are at.
>Anigriffin style

I feel famous.

ayyyy.png

TheBeastHimself

I brought this up over at the Banjo thread, but does anyone else think it's kinda strange that Microsoft keeps using Conker instead of Banjo? For instance, they were going to make an entirely new Conker game with Project Spark, and then they made a game for him on the Hololens. It's not like they're using Conker to target a mature audience because those two games are meant for teens and children, so Banjo (being the face of Rare) could have easily been swapped out with Conker. I don't know it's just sorta bizarre thinking about it. Banjo's been out cold since 2008, but Conker's last appearance was sorta recent in 2016.

On another note, I sorta wish Project Spark didn't get canned so we could see the rest of Conker's Big Reunion. It started off looking really pleasing and it seemed like we were finally going to get a long awaited sequel to Bad Fur Day.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I brought this up over at the Banjo thread, but does anyone else think it's kinda strange that Microsoft keeps using Conker instead of Banjo? For instance, they were going to make an entirely new Conker game with Project Spark, and then they made a game for him on the Hololens. It's not like they're using Conker to target a mature audience because those two games are meant for teens and children, so Banjo (being the face of Rare) could have easily been swapped out with Conker. I don't know it's just sorta bizarre thinking about it. Banjo's been out cold since 2008, but Conker's last appearance was sorta recent in 2016.

On another note, I sorta wish Project Spark didn't get canned so we could see the rest of Conker's Big Reunion. It started off looking really pleasing and it seemed like we were finally going to get a long awaited sequel to Bad Fur Day.

I think the general consensus expectation for B-K is "Banjo-Threeie", so maybe Microsoft has been really reluctant at using them for this possible reason.

Lord knows what even goes through their heads, it's a wonder they figured out what to do with Killer Instinct and Battletoads.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I think the general consensus expectation for B-K is "Banjo-Threeie", so maybe Microsoft has been really reluctant at using them for this possible reason.

Lord knows what even goes through their heads, it's a wonder they figured out what to do with Killer Instinct and Battletoads.
Sometimes I wonder if it's too late for Rare to even go back to their old franchises. Part of me feels like if we ever did get a Banjo-Threeie it just wouldn't be the same, same with a new Conker game. It's unfortunate, but I wonder if Rare's neglect for their franchises was voluntary or if Microsoft had a big influence. It's hard to tell, but I read an interview with Chris Seavor and he said that he left Rare in 2011 because the company as a whole kept going downhill.

TheBeastHimself

It is telling that the new KI and Battletoads aren't even by Rare themselves, so yeah...
So you think that if Rare/Microsoft ever decides to continue something like Banjo, they'd leave it to another company? Looks like all of Rare's attention is going to their new game Sea of Thieves, and the only times they mention their older franchises is when they are talking about their past work experience, almost like a resume. At least that how it appears on their website.

What I want to know is what exactly caused Rare to stray away from Banjo and Conker. Was it 100% Microsoft's fault? Because I do remember hearing something about a lot of jobs being lost during the buyout, so new people who joined the company in the Microsoft era may have just wanted to take it in a new direction.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So you think that if Rare/Microsoft ever decides to continue something like Banjo, they'd leave it to another company? Looks like all of Rare's attention is going to their new game Sea of Thieves, and the only times they mention their older franchises is when they are talking about their past work experience, almost like a resume. At least that how it appears on their website.

What I want to know is what exactly caused Rare to stray away from Banjo and Conker. Was it 100% Microsoft's fault? Because I do remember hearing something about a lot of jobs being lost during the buyout, so new people who joined the company in the Microsoft era may have just wanted to take it in a new direction.
I will say that the whole Kinect deal sure didn't help, that's for sure. Having to do potboilers for that would kill most people's motivation to continue making games.

Top Bottom