• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"A Bad Smash Day..."- Conker for Ultimate!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I will say that the whole Kinect deal sure didn't help, that's for sure. Having to do potboilers for that would kill most people's motivation to continue making games.
Yeah for sure. Damn... I just don't see why Nintendo didn't pounce on Rare when they had the chance. The company and most of its original members would have probably stayed because I know for a fact that Nintendo would continue to let them be creative. They'd continue making DKC games and stuff like that. I mean think about this, it's been two decades basically since Microsoft bought them out. Imagine if Rare stayed, Banjo and all the other Rare franchises could have been expanded upon so much with their own lore, spin-offs, stuff like that. What Rare has done at Microsoft just... sucks. We got Nuts & Bolts and multiple failed attempts at making a new Conker game (don't count Live and Reloaded too much because that was mostly just a port).

Anyway Kirby, I gotta question for you. Would you personally want Conker in Smash?

TheBeastHimself

Yeah for sure. Damn... I just don't see why Nintendo didn't pounce on Rare when they had the chance. The company and most of its original members would have probably stayed because I know for a fact that Nintendo would continue to let them be creative. They'd continue making DKC games and stuff like that. I mean think about this, it's been two decades basically since Microsoft bought them out. Imagine if Rare stayed, Banjo and all the other Rare franchises could have been expanded upon so much with their own lore, spin-offs, stuff like that. What Rare has done at Microsoft just... sucks. We got Nuts & Bolts and multiple failed attempts at making a new Conker game (don't count Live and Reloaded too much because that was mostly just a port).

Anyway Kirby, I gotta question for you. Would you personally want Conker in Smash?
EDIT: Woo! We made it to page 2! Small victories everyone, small victories.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Though not before BK and Rash, obviously.

TheBeastHimself

Though not before BK and Rash, obviously.
LMAO

For me, I want either Banjo and Conker at the same time, or Conker after Banjo. It would be really weird if Conker got in first, and probably cause a loooot of controversy. That would be a disaster; a character nobody talks about gets in over the character everyone talks about..

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
LMAO

For me, I want either Banjo and Conker at the same time, or Conker after Banjo. It would be really weird if Conker got in first, and probably cause a loooot of controversy. That would be a disaster; a character nobody talks about gets in over the character everyone talks about..
Yeah, but at any rate I'm sure they won't go for him first anyway. Even Fulgore would go first over him.

TheBeastHimself

Yeah, but at any rate I'm sure they won't go for him first anyway. Even Fulgore would go first over him.
Maybe. I'm not extremely well versed on Rare outside Banjo, Conker, DKC and Battletoads. In my opinion, I feel like Conker has just as good of a chance as any of the other Rare characters, after Banjo, due to iconicness. But I suppose we'll have to see what happens. I ain't giving up on this squirrel lol.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
went to other sites to try and find what the general consensus is on Conker and I've seen people say that nobody knows who he is, and I've been shot down multiple times by people saying Banjo deserves it. Maybe this is just me, but I thought a lot of people knew about Conker just because of Bad Fur Day. I know it didn't get a lot of initial sales but that game reached the status of a classic Rare game, up in the ranks of Banjo-Kazooie.
Wait, seriously?! How is that even possible! That's almost as pathetic as being a Superman fan and not knowing who Batman is!!!
Conker's Bad Fur Day might not have been very successful with its sales, but if I'm not mistaken, the game received better reviews and scores than both Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (no wonder why)!

And I thought the argument that "Conker is an M-rated character" was already dead by the moment we got Solid Snake!

Like you said and well in the PowerPoint, Conker isn't that much of an innapropriate, edgy M-rated character (I mean, he even has a really friendly and innocent cartoon appearance and behavior, doesn't that really ring a bell to people)! Swears aside, I'd say that he's as bad as Wario!
He can totally stay true to his character without having to get drunk and pee all over the stage!
As for guns, well I don't see Conker's firearms being any less cartoonish and unrealistic than the Wild Gunmen that belong to :ultduckhunt:'s move set and final smash!

You know what, I'm going to try to come up with a fitting and potential move set for Conker, right now!
(I know someone already did here, but hell, I'm gonna try it myself)

Jab- punch,punch,tail swipe (like he did in Twelve Tales 64, and pocket tales)
Front tilt- frying pan hit
Up- a hit with his bat from Live and Reloaded
Down tilt- a spin swipe using his tail (again like in Twelve Tales 64)

Up special- helicopter tail thing move (similar to :ultduckhunt::ultisabelle:/:ultvillager:'s recovery)
Neutral special- Context Sensitive(unique ability): once you press the button, Conker will receive a random weapon/item, then you'll have to wait at least 30 seconds until you can make that move again, once the time has passed, a light bulb will pop up in Conker's head and make the *ding* noise to warn that you're ready!
Side special- Conker will sprint with a chainsaw on his hands (similar to :ultinkling:/:ultinklingboy::ultwario:'s S.sp)!
Down special- turn into an anvil and smash whoever is below him (similar to :ultkirby:'s D.Sp)!

Up Smash- throw a bottle of beer at a short range!
Side smash- a harder hit with the frying pan
Down smash- T.N.T. (works just like :ultsnake:'s RPG)

Final Smash- basically his matrix ability where he puts on his agent outfit, jumps in the air and starts shooting the opponents who are affected by slow motion (a bit like :ultsnake:'s FS except he uses guns and not arsenals, and it's an unavoidable FS much like :ultdiddy:'s, except you have to target and shoot your enemies)!

Taunts:
Taunt 1- read a magazine
Taunt 2- start drinking chocolate milk
Taunt 3- looks at you and says something like "bored, bored, boredy,bored" or "are we gonna do this or what"

Conker is definitely as iconic as Banjo! They're the two most popular and successful Rare characters (you can totally see that hinted, at the end of Rare Replay's theme)!
If Banjo fans don't even know him, either way, they are wanabees who lie and don't know anything about Banjo and Rare, or they're simply screwed up in the head!

TheBeastHimself

Wait, seriously?! How is that even possible! That's almost as pathetic as being a Superman fan and not knowing who Batman is!!!
Conker's Bad Fur Day might not have been very successful with its sales, but if I'm not mistaken, the game received better reviews and scores than both Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (no wonder why)!

And I thought the argument that "Conker is an M-rated character" was already dead by the moment we got Solid Snake!

Like you said and well in the PowerPoint, Conker isn't that much of an innapropriate, edgy M-rated character (I mean, he even has a really friendly and innocent cartoon appearance and behavior, doesn't that really ring a bell to people)! Swears aside, I'd say that he's as bad as Wario!
He can totally stay true to his character without having to get drunk and pee all over the stage!
As for guns, well I don't see Conker's firearms being any less cartoonish and unrealistic than the Wild Gunmen that belong to :ultduckhunt:'s move set and final smash!

You know what, I'm going to try to come up with a fitting and potential move set for Conker, right now!
(I know someone already did here, but hell, I'm gonna try it myself)

Jab- punch,punch,tail swipe (like he did in Twelve Tales 64, and pocket tales)
Front tilt- frying pan hit
Up- a hit with his bat from Live and Reloaded
Down tilt- a spin swipe using his tail (again like in Twelve Tales 64)

Up special- helicopter tail thing move (similar to :ultduckhunt::ultisabelle:/:ultvillager:'s recovery)
Neutral special- Context Sensitive(unique ability): once you press the button, Conker will receive a random weapon/item, then you'll have to wait at least 30 seconds until you can make that move again, once the time has passed, a light bulb will pop up in Conker's head and make the *ding* noise to warn that you're ready!
Side special- Conker will sprint with a chainsaw on his hands (similar to :ultinkling:/:ultinklingboy::ultwario:'s S.sp)!
Down special- turn into an anvil and smash whoever is below him (similar to :ultkirby:'s D.Sp)!

Up Smash- throw a bottle of beer at a short range!
Side smash- a harder hit with the frying pan
Down smash- T.N.T. (works just like :ultsnake:'s RPG)

Final Smash- basically his matrix ability where he puts on his agent outfit, jumps in the air and starts shooting the opponents who are affected by slow motion (a bit like :ultsnake:'s FS except he uses guns and not arsenals, and it's an unavoidable FS much like :ultdiddy:'s, except you have to target and shoot your enemies)!

Taunts:
Taunt 1- read a magazine
Taunt 2- start drinking chocolate milk
Taunt 3- looks at you and says something like "bored, bored, boredy,bored" or "are we gonna do this or what"

Conker is definitely as iconic as Banjo! They're the two most popular and successful Rare characters (you can totally see that hinted, at the end of Rare Replay's theme)!
If Banjo fans don't even know him, either way, they are wanabees who lie and don't know anything about Banjo and Rare, or they're simply screwed up in the head!
Nice job on that moveset! Once again, just goes to show that Conker doesn't need alcohol or swearing to fit into the game. I'm starting to think that Conker might just be as recognizable as Banjo is. If he wasn't, then there wouldn't be stuff like this coming out (mind you, this is very recent in 2018!):

Or stuff like this:

LOOK HOW GOOD THAT FIGURE LOOKS! Would they really be making high quality figurines for a character who "nobody knows about" or "isn't as important as Banjo"? In my eyes, Banjo and Conker are equals. I don't care if their games didn't sell the exact same numbers, they've both appeared in the same amount of games and are often paired with each other. People will try and deny it on Conker's end, but he, along with Banjo, are truly the faces of Rare. Banjo may be #1, but #2 ain't bad either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A good point, mang. Granted, First 4 Figures are too pricy for regular customers, but the Totaku is affordable.

I do hope they give him a spirit, at the very least. That would help to get the ball rolling, I think. Until then, there's still the stray Blast Corps and JFG data lying within the Ultimate game cart.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

A good point, mang. Granted, First 4 Figures are too pricy for regular customers, but the Totaku is affordable.

I do hope they give him a spirit, at the very least. That would help to get the ball rolling, I think. Until then, there's still the stray Blast Corps and JFG data lying within the Ultimate game cart.
Same. Like I said last page, I'm down with anything Conker related in Smash. The main reason (outside of loving the character) that I really want Conker in is because I'm tired of people downplaying Conker's popularity, or just immediately dismissing him in any type of Smash speculation because "Banjo is more important". Yeah I get it but isn't the whole point of Smash speculation to discuss your dream picks? Maybe there just aren't a lot of Conker fans on this site, but I sure as hell don't remember Bad Fur Day being as obscure as a lot of people are making it out to be.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Same. Like I said last page, I'm down with anything Conker related in Smash. The main reason (outside of loving the character) that I really want Conker in is because I'm tired of people downplaying Conker's popularity, or just immediately dismissing him in any type of Smash speculation because "Banjo is more important". Yeah I get it but isn't the whole point of Smash speculation to discuss your dream picks? Maybe there just aren't a lot of Conker fans on this site, but I sure as hell don't remember Bad Fur Day being as obscure as a lot of people are making it out to be.
Exactly, I mean you had K. Rool fans ready and willing to support Dixie the minute he got in.

I think the main issue is that the popular requests have completely overshadowed support for most other character possibilities, including the ones in my sig.

Hell, Night Trap is just one game, yet that was controversial enough back in its day to eventually get a proper modern rerelease. Conker can stand alongside it as notoriety goes.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Exactly, I mean you had K. Rool fans ready and willing to support Dixie the minute he got in.

I think the main issue is that the popular requests have completely overshadowed support for most other character possibilities, including the ones in my sig.
I don't even know if anyone over at the Banjo thread would be willing to support us. I discuss Banjo but if I mention Conker there it gets ignored (well that kinda makes sense because it's the Banjo thread but still). I never completed a Banjo game in my life, the furthest I got was the Freezeezy Peak, on the first game, but of course I'm down to support Banjo because I personally think he has enough merits to qualify for Smash.

And yeah, DLC completely ruined the hopes and dreams of anyone that has a less popular character request due to the 4 remaining slots. You can clearly see that reflected on the page that shows all the threads. You come here a few months ago and you'd see almost every character thread having discussion in it. Now it's like the same 5-10 threads, mostly all popular picks. A lot of my inspiration here just comes from The Anigriffin The Anigriffin because when she joined the Ninten thread a few months ago it had like 2 pages and now it has over 50. Now there's some attention on Ninten, which I'm really glad about. I want to do the same for Conker. I'm not going to give up just because other threads/characters are more popular than this one. I don't care if it ends up just being me talking to myself again.

I

ain't

givin'

up

on

this

squirrel

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't even know if anyone over at the Banjo thread would be willing to support us. I discuss Banjo but if I mention Conker there it gets ignored (well that kinda makes sense because it's the Banjo thread but still). I never completed a Banjo game in my life, the furthest I got was the Freezeezy Peak, on the first game, but of course I'm down to support Banjo because I personally think he has enough merits to qualify for Smash.

And yeah, DLC completely ruined the hopes and dreams of anyone that has a less popular character request due to the 4 remaining slots. You can clearly see that reflected on the page that shows all the threads. You come here a few months ago and you'd see almost every character thread having discussion in it. Now it's like the same 5-10 threads, mostly all popular picks. A lot of my inspiration here just comes from The Anigriffin The Anigriffin because when she joined the Ninten thread a few months ago it had like 2 pages and now it has over 50. Now there's some attention on Ninten, which I'm really glad about. I want to do the same for Conker. I'm not going to give up just because other threads/characters are more popular than this one. I don't care if it ends up just being me talking to myself again.

I

ain't

givin'

up

on

this

squirrel
I wish I had your moxie. Both the Master Higgins and Bonk thread replies can be counted on one hand, and DyllyBirdy would probably scold me if I even double-posted in those.

TheBeastHimself

I wish I had your moxie. Both the Master Higgins and Bonk thread replies can be counted on one hand, and DyllyBirdy would probably scold me if I even double-posted in those.
I just started viewing the situation more as "sometimes if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself". I knew for a fact that this thread probably would have never seen another reply unless I kept pushing and pushing. And hey, we got to two pages! That's something. Is there any way I can help out those threads?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I just started viewing the situation more as "sometimes if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself". I knew for a fact that this thread probably would have never seen another reply unless I kept pushing and pushing. And hey, we got to two pages! That's something. Is there any way I can help out those threads?
You have my sword, my bow and my axe for this quest, pal!

TheBeastHimself

Thanks :) I hope I'm not making myself out to be like I'm the leader of this or anything like that, and I'm happy I'm not alone on this journey! Im just not gonna stop until I see better treatment for my man Conker, who rightfully deserves it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly not sure. Only thing that's really helping Higgins right now is ports for the NES and GB versions of Adventure Island II on the 3DS. Bonk doesn't even have that.

Although both have been huge icons for Hudson once; Bonk spearheaded the TG-16, and Higgins was second only to Bomberman himself in terms of recognizability (on top of being based on a former spokesperson).

You know, I think we ought to ask the owner of this thread if they can add us.

Thank you!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Any ideas for a Conker stage and music? For a stage, I'd assume Windy would work the best as it is essentially the central hub for Bad Fur Day, being packaged with the Windy soundtrack. Maybe the wasps and dung beetles could act as stage hazards as well. It'd also be kinda funny to see balls of hazardous poo landing on the stage from Poo Mountain.

There's a lot of neat soundtracks to choose from, like the one from the Matrix level. If only the Great Mighty Poo's song could get in. But other than those two, the one song that really stands out to me, and I'd go bananas if it got in, is Rock Solid. For an N64 game, it's one of the dopest soundtracks and still holds up perfectly to this day.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
LOOK HOW GOOD THAT FIGURE LOOKS! Would they really be making high quality figurines for a character who "nobody knows about" or "isn't as important as Banjo"? In my eyes, Banjo and Conker are equals. I don't care if their games didn't sell the exact same numbers, they've both appeared in the same amount of games and are often paired with each other. People will try and deny it on Conker's end, but he, along with Banjo, are truly the faces of Rare. Banjo may be #1, but #2 ain't bad either.
Exactly, and have you noticed no other Rare character received the same kind of treatment! I was really hoping that with the release of these Totaku figures, people would finally open their eyes, and notice that Banjo isn't the only Rare character who really deserves to be included in Smash Bros! But nope!

I went to other sites to try and find what the general consensus is on Conker and I've seen people say that nobody knows who he is, and I've been shot down multiple times by people saying Banjo deserves it.

You know, I wouldn't even be surprised if half of these "fans" are just wanabees, who support Banjo and pretend like they know everything about him, and played every single one of his games, just because he is a popular pick, right now (I mean that's the only explanation I can give to why they don't even know who Conker is)!
That might be extremely pathetic and absurd, but believe me, I've actually seen multiple situations like this occur in various comment sections of youtube videos related to Smash Bros and its speculations! I mean, I've seen many people saying that they really want Banjo and suggesting the idea of him becoming an echo fighter of :4duckhunt:! If that's not stupid than I don't know what it is!

Same thing happens to Geno where people say they really want him and then they don't even know where he is from or what abilities he has!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's always bandwagoners, regardless if it's for popular picks or rumoured leaks. The bad fans shouldn't be lumped in with the good ones, just ask anyone supporting Waluigi.

Also, for the record, I played the BK games and BFD as a lad. And made sure no one was around to look whenever I played the latter.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Any ideas for a Conker stage and music? For a stage, I'd assume Windy would work the best as it is essentially the central hub for Bad Fur Day, being packaged with the Windy soundtrack. Maybe the wasps and dung beetles could act as stage hazards as well. It'd also be kinda funny to see balls of hazardous poo landing on the stage from Poo Mountain.
Yeah, I agree that Windy would probably make the most sense of all, but I personally don't think it would be that interesting as a stage, specially when there are alot more unique stages in the game, such as the Great Mighty Poo's lair, where the Great Mighty Poo himself could show up as a stage boss and start throwing sh*t at you, while a censored version of his theme song plays! But I'm afraid that would be too controversial for a kids' game.

The Rock Solid would indeed make a really unique and amazing stage, specially with that kick-ass soundtrack playing by! Its stage hazards could be the rock people rolling and/or dancing throughout the stage! Fortunately I don't see anything innapropriate with that one!

The Heist would also make a really cool stage, specially with the multiplayer soundtrack playing by, that and the rock solid ost would make me jump of joy! But I don't see what stage hazards could there be, maybe lazers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTGRQY33QYE

The beach from the "it's war" chapter would be pretty unique too! The stage hazards could be the machine gun nests from the background, but I'm afraid that would be a little bit too violent, even if it's made in a cartoony fashion way!

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
There's always bandwagoners, regardless if it's for popular picks or rumoured leaks. The bad fans shouldn't be lumped in with the good ones, just ask anyone supporting Waluigi.
Eh, I guess you're right! But it's still kind of dickish to shut someone down because of a different subject/opinion!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I brought this up over at the Banjo thread, but does anyone else think it's kinda strange that Microsoft keeps using Conker instead of Banjo? For instance, they were going to make an entirely new Conker game with Project Spark, and then they made a game for him on the Hololens. It's not like they're using Conker to target a mature audience because those two games are meant for teens and children, so Banjo (being the face of Rare) could have easily been swapped out with Conker. I don't know it's just sorta bizarre thinking about it. Banjo's been out cold since 2008, but Conker's last appearance was sorta recent in 2016.
On another note, I sorta wish Project Spark didn't get canned so we could see the rest of Conker's Big Reunion. It started off looking really pleasing and it seemed like we were finally going to get a long awaited sequel to Bad Fur Day.
Considering the fact, that everyone's atention goes to Banjo and not Conker, yes it is! Maybe they see more potential with Conker because he's more unique!
Whereas Banjo Kazooie, even if it would get a new 3d platformer game nowadays it would probably be overshadowed and inferior to Super Mario!
Or maybe it's because Nuts and Bolts got a really negative reception (while Live and Reloaded got a mixed one), that they just lost hope with the series!
Project Spark is still better than nothing, but it's ridiculously mediocre when compared to Conker's Bad Fur Day!

By the way, take a look at the cover of Rare Replay

Isn't it also a bit strange that Conker (out of all the amount of Rare characters present) is the one closer to the viewer's eyes, whereas Banjo Kazooie (the ones that people consider the face of Rare) are slightly behind him! It's like even Rare itself likes Conker better and considers him their #1 mascot!
well one step up for Conker, I guess!
Also isn't it also weird that they chose to represent Banjo Kazooie with their N&B design, given how negatively received it got by fans?!

Damn... I just don't see why Nintendo didn't pounce on Rare when they had the chance. The company and most of its original members would have probably stayed because I know for a fact that Nintendo would continue to let them be creative. They'd continue making DKC games and stuff like that. I mean think about this, it's been two decades basically since Microsoft bought them out. Imagine if Rare stayed, Banjo and all the other Rare franchises could have been expanded upon so much with their own lore, spin-offs, stuff like that. What Rare has done at Microsoft just... sucks. We got Nuts & Bolts and multiple failed attempts at making a new Conker game (don't count Live and Reloaded too much because that was mostly just a port).
That has always confused me since the beginning! Rare has always given Nintendo nothing but success and all of the sudden, BAM, it gets bought by Microsoft!
Some people say that it was because most of its original cast left by then, that's not entirely true, alot of the people who contributed to its most successful franchises were still there and could still make the job well done, I mean Banjo Tooie, DK 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day were released after that happened, proof that they still knew what they were doing!

Some people say that it's because Nintendo and specially Myamoto were jealous of the quality of Rare's games, mainly Donkey Kong Country, and were a bit xenophobic towards them! Now I never got to know if this was exactly true or just a rumor! But isn't that silly if you think about it? I mean Rare and Nintendo were a team! Rare gave a series to Donkey Kong (one of Nintendo's most well known first party characters), like it was told to, and it became one of Nintendo's best selling franchises! I really doubt that's true considering how much they supported Rareware's series throughout the course of their partnership! If they really wanted that to happen, they would have already done that right after the release of DKC 3!
But if that's the real reason, than I'm really disappointed with Nintendo!

Just Imagine if Nintendo did the right thing, and bought the full rights to Rareware when they had the chance! At this point, Conker and Banjo would be at a first party position, much like Pokemon and Earthbound! Like you said, they would have a few successful games (including Banjo Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day), possibly even spin-offs (who knows maybe if rare stayed where it belonged, the Wii U wouldn't have possibly been a failure), crossovers maybe in Mario Kart, DKC and most importantly, Smash Bros (they would have probably been there since Brawl)!
Oh how amazing that would have been! :201s::201h::201a::201m::201e:

I bet Microsoft only bought Rareware, just to avoid rivalry! They don't even offer them any freedom (that's why Banjo Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day were canceled)! The only thing good was Rare Replay (oh man, and it's so wrong to see all those loveable characters in one cover and then the xbox logo right on top of them, they belong with Nintendo Dammit)!

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the canceled Twelve Tales Conker 64??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ceNFV2yz4

I got really interested when I first saw some of its gameplay footage, it might be really distant from Bad Fur Day, but it still looked really creative, colourful and appealing! I would love to be able to try it out (of course I prefer BFD a hell of a lot more, but I still find the idea of a kid-friendly Conker game to be somewhat appealing)! Since Microsoft has been mostly targetting the Conker series to a more kid friendly target audience, with project spark and young Conker, maybe they could finish and improve Twelve Tales and make it available for download on the xbox one, much like they did with Banjo Kazooie and Tooie! It could tell us more about the adventures Conker and Berri had in their childhood when they were totally innocent! It wouldn't be that farfetched since Conker's Pocket Tales already exists, and (I assume) it is considered canon! Either way, it would be a much better idea than Project Spark and specially Young Conker, if you ask me!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Considering the fact, that everyone's atention goes to Banjo and not Conker, yes it is! Maybe they see more potential with Conker because he's more unique!
Whereas Banjo Kazooie, even if it would get a new 3d platformer game nowadays it would probably be overshadowed and inferior to Super Mario!
Or maybe it's because Nuts and Bolts got a really negative reception (while Live and Reloaded got a mixed one), that they just lost hope with the series!
Project Spark is still better than nothing, but it's ridiculously mediocre when compared to Conker's Bad Fur Day!

By the way, take a look at the cover of Rare Replay

Isn't it also a bit strange that Conker (out of all the amount of Rare characters present) is the one closer to the viewer's eyes, whereas Banjo Kazooie (the ones that people consider the face of Rare) are slightly behind him! It's like even Rare itself likes Conker better and considers him their #1 mascot!
well one step up for Conker, I guess!
Also isn't it also weird that they chose to represent Banjo Kazooie with their N&B design, given how negatively received it got by fans?!

That has always confused me since the beginning! Rare has always given Nintendo nothing but success and all of the sudden, BAM, it gets bought by Microsoft!
Some people say that it was because most of its original cast left by then, that's not entirely true, alot of the people who contributed to its most successful franchises were still there and could still make the job well done, I mean Banjo Tooie, DK 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day were released after that happened, proof that they still knew what they were doing!

Some people say that it's because Nintendo and specially Myamoto were jealous of the quality of Rare's games, mainly Donkey Kong Country, and were a bit xenophobic towards them! Now I never got to know if this was exactly true or just a rumor! But isn't that silly if you think about it? I mean Rare and Nintendo were a team! Rare gave a series to Donkey Kong (one of Nintendo's most well known first party characters), like it was told to, and it became one of Nintendo's best selling franchises! I really doubt that's true considering how much they supported Rareware's series throughout the course of their partnership! If they really wanted that to happen, they would have already done that right after the release of DKC 3!
But if that's the real reason, than I'm really disappointed with Nintendo!

Just Imagine if Nintendo did the right thing, and bought the full rights to Rareware when they had the chance! At this point, Conker and Banjo would be at a first party position, much like Pokemon and Earthbound! Like you said, they would have a few successful games (including Banjo Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day), possibly even spin-offs (who knows maybe if rare stayed where it belonged, the Wii U wouldn't have possibly been a failure), crossovers maybe in Mario Kart, DKC and most importantly, Smash Bros (they would have probably been there since Brawl)!
Oh how amazing that would have been! :201s::201h::201a::201m::201e:

I bet Microsoft only bought Rareware, just to avoid rivalry! They don't even offer them any freedom (that's why Banjo Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day were canceled)! The only thing good was Rare Replay (oh man, and it's so wrong to see all those loveable characters in one cover and then the xbox logo right on top of them, they belong with Nintendo Dammit)!

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the canceled Twelve Tales Conker 64??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ceNFV2yz4

I got really interested when I first saw some of its gameplay footage, it might be really distant from Bad Fur Day, but it still looked really creative, colourful and appealing! I would love to be able to try it out (of course I prefer BFD a hell of a lot more, but I still find the idea of a kid-friendly Conker game to be somewhat appealing)! Since Microsoft has been mostly targetting the Conker series to a more kid friendly target audience, with project spark and young Conker, maybe they could finish and improve Twelve Tales and make it available for download on the xbox one, much like they did with Banjo Kazooie and Tooie! It could tell us more about the adventures Conker and Berri had in their childhood when they were totally innocent! It wouldn't be that farfetched since Conker's Pocket Tales already exists, and (I assume) it is considered canon! Either way, it would be a much better idea than Project Spark and specially Young Conker, if you ask me!
I just wanted to point out something. Not saying that you did anything wrong, but I don't think saying that the Banjo fanbase is cancerous and stuff like that isn't the best way to word it, because it's generalizing a group of people, many of whom are pretty chill. I'm only saying this because I don't want someone coming in here and getting offended. Although I prefer Conker, I still wish to spread love to Banjo because I believe that the squirrel, bear, and bird all deserve to be united in Smash.

But anyway, back to the topic. Rare putting Conker front and center on the Rare Reply box, probably the first thing people will see, is pretty interesting. Although it could end up being completely meaningless, it does coincide well with the recent attention Conker has been getting on Xbox. I honestly wish Nintendo just never let Rare go in the first place because even if they buy them back now, most of the employees from the 90s are gone. Chris Seavor, the one who made Conker naughty, left the company in 2011. If Nintendo bought Rare back now and tried to revive stuff like Banjo-Kazooie and Conker, it just wouldn't be the same. New people at the company will have new visions of where to take those franchises, which will undoubtedly upset fans because they want things to stay how they were. But the people who made things how they were are now gone. See what I mean? It sucks but I guess that's just life for ya.

OH MY GOD CONKER'S QUEST!! Twelve Tales is a game I would love to play so badly. It doesn't matter that if it's rated K-A, that game has so many awesome looking levels and a kickass soundtrack. I also love the concept of Conker receiving new hats for the different areas he travels to. And also the little feature with Berri where she can raise animals (I believe?) who guard her as long as she keeps them fed. By the way, there's one song from Twelve Tales that I love in particular, I believe it was from that Athens/Greece/Sparta level. Although the game was cancelled, the same song ended up as the title theme of Jet Force Gemini:

But yeah, I think what keeps me most interested about Twelve Tales are the level designs. Just looking at the early beta footage, there's so many unique and colorful levels waiting to be explored. And another thing, the fact that Conker makes certain facial expressions based on what's happening around him is also really neat! And oh my god... all the types of moves he had, and the paraglider... Twelve Tales is just too much, but were it to be released, I still think it'd sell well. It looks like a Mario 64 inspired adventure game, and I really wish there was a way to play it.

EDIT: Also found this sick remix of Windy designed for Smash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP_BRCGF1DM

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I just wanted to point out something. Not saying that you did anything wrong, but I don't think saying that the Banjo fanbase is cancerous and stuff like that isn't the best way to word it, because it's generalizing a group of people, many of whom are pretty chill. I'm only saying this because I don't want someone coming in here and getting offended. Although I prefer Conker, I still wish to spread love to Banjo because I believe that the squirrel, bear, and bird all deserve to be united in Smash.
I didn't mean to refer to it in general, just a part of it!
I did check it today, and by the looks of it, some people were pretty nice and decent and weren't fully hostile towards your comments related to Conker!
I still think it's a real d*ck move from some of them to shut you and zipster down, only because you were talking and discussing your opinions about a different character (who is even extremely related to Banjo), just because they think only Banjo deserves the spot!
But hey, you're right! If we want to attract more people's attention and interest into this thread, that's not the best way to do it! I'm gonna erase that part from my previous comment!
By the way, congrats you just made the #64 comment on this thread! :pikachu:

Believe me, I know it's way too late to revive the series, now that pretty much, every single member who made Rare the company that we knew and loved, is gone!
Nintendo only owned like half of Rare, I was just dreaming if they bought their full rights (or at least a large amount of it, like 75%) when they had the chance, instead of selling it to Microsoft (which is when we lost pretty much all the original cast of Rare), the people would have stayed and make sure DKC, Conker and Banjo would be 1st party and stay as successful as they initially were, much like the same situation of Pokemon and Earthbound(which were 2nd Party, and nowadays it's 1st party, when Nintendo bought almost the full rights of their companies)!
That's why I want both Banjo and specially/mostly Conker (not just because banjo gets all the love and support, but also because I find Conker so much more fun and unique) in Smash so badly!

I can't believe that Chris Seavor still stayed that long since Rareware went to the dark side! I heard that, along with Conker's Other Bad Day, he had another project called Urchin! It was going to be sort of a fantasy/horror series, and its art style was pretty neat (it kind of reminds me of Tim Burton's animation style)! But Microsoft refused to let them advance with the project, so it's no wonder he left the company, but I actually thought he left it earlier than 2011!

Absolutely! By that video, you could already tell that twelve tales was going to be a hell of a lot more than just another kids' game (which is what most people called it at the time)!
The levels, the soundtracks, the enemy and character design, and the hat idea looked really inspiring, original and interesting! I'd even say (without any hate on BK intended) that it even looks much more creative and appealing than Banjo Kazooie and Tooie (and that is saying a lot)!
The character's facial expressions and reactions to where they are or what happens around them, was a really unique and innovative feature for a N64 game (I think The Legend Of Zelda: the Wind Waker got to be the first game to have that kind of feature)!
You could even rotate the camera towards Conker's front view, and he would start looking at you, and interestingly enough this feature was included in Bad Fur Day, even the multiplayer characters do that!
Speaking of which, its multiplayer Deathmatch mode looked really neat too, it's almost like the one from BFD, but without the Blood and Gore, of course!
Yes, Berri was able to tame certain critters like that purple dinosaur (who really reminds me of the baby dino from BFD who met with a terrible fate)!
And Conker had many items, besides the slingshot, he had a shovel, a kyte, a raucous, and a unicycle!
I think both of them were going to have different types of adventures, but the objective was still the same, collect as many presents as you can (much like the :starman: from Mario 64)!
I still can't believe that with how much was made with that game (like the levels, soundtracks, enemies and bosses), the only recycled content was Conker's design, the slingshot, the dancing sunflowers, the Rome theme, and the piss theme (this is not a complaint, BTW, but it still feels a bit wasted)!
The enemies/bosses, such as the evil acorns and K.O. the cat were so cool too! It's a shame they were pretty much wasted content!

You know if Microsoft was smart and actually liked money and success, they could easily tell the people that's left from Rare to finish it, and release it as a downloadable game for the Xbox one! I mean the game was pretty much already at least 80% completed (it was even available to play at E3 1999)!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I didn't mean to refer to it in general, just a part of it!
I did check it today, and by the looks of it, some people were pretty nice and decent and weren't fully hostile towards your comments related to Conker!
I still think it's a real d*ck move from some of them to shut you and zipster down, only because you were talking and discussing your opinions about a different character (who is even extremely related to Banjo), just because they think only Banjo deserves the spot!
But hey, you're right! If we want to attract more people's attention and interest into this thread, that's not the best way to do it! I'm gonna erase that part from my previous comment!
By the way, congrats you just made the #64 comment on this thread! :pikachu:

Believe me, I know it's way too late to revive the series, now that pretty much, every single member who made Rare the company that we knew and loved, is gone!
Nintendo only owned like half of Rare, I was just dreaming if they bought their full rights (or at least a large amount of it, like 75%) when they had the chance, instead of selling it to Microsoft (which is when we lost pretty much all the original cast of Rare), the people would have stayed and make sure DKC, Conker and Banjo would be 1st party and stay as successful as they initially were, much like the same situation of Pokemon and Earthbound(which were 2nd Party, and nowadays it's 1st party, when Nintendo bought almost the full rights of their companies)!
That's why I want both Banjo and specially/mostly Conker (not just because banjo gets all the love and support, but also because I find Conker so much more fun and unique) in Smash so badly!

I can't believe that Chris Seavor still stayed that long since Rareware went to the dark side! I heard that, along with Conker's Other Bad Day, he had another project called Urchin! It was going to be sort of a fantasy/horror series, and its art style was pretty neat (it kind of reminds me of Tim Burton's animation style)! But Microsoft refused to let them advance with the project, so it's no wonder he left the company, but I actually thought he left it earlier than 2011!

Absolutely! By that video, you could already tell that twelve tales was going to be a hell of a lot more than just another kids' game (which is what most people called it at the time)!
The levels, the soundtracks, the enemy and character design, and the hat idea looked really inspiring, original and interesting! I'd even say (without any hate on BK intended) that it even looks much more creative and appealing than Banjo Kazooie and Tooie (and that is saying a lot)!
The character's facial expressions and reactions to where they are or what happens around them, was a really unique and innovative feature for a N64 game (I think The Legend Of Zelda: the Wind Waker got to be the first game to have that kind of feature)!
You could even rotate the camera towards Conker's front view, and he would start looking at you, and interestingly enough this feature was included in Bad Fur Day, even the multiplayer characters do that!
Speaking of which, its multiplayer Deathmatch mode looked really neat too, it's almost like the one from BFD, but without the Blood and Gore, of course!
Yes, Berri was able to tame certain critters like that purple dinosaur (who really reminds me of the baby dino from BFD who met with a terrible fate)!
And Conker had many items, besides the slingshot, he had a shovel, a kyte, a raucous, and a unicycle!
I think both of them were going to have different types of adventures, but the objective was still the same, collect as many presents as you can (much like the :starman: from Mario 64)!
I still can't believe that with how much was made with that game (like the levels, soundtracks, enemies and bosses), the only recycled content was Conker's design, the slingshot, the dancing sunflowers, the Rome theme, and the piss theme (this is not a complaint, BTW, but it still feels a bit wasted)!
The enemies/bosses, such as the evil acorns and K.O. the cat were so cool too! It's a shame they were pretty much wasted content!

You know if Microsoft was smart and actually liked money and success, they could easily tell the people that's left from Rare to finish it, and release it as a downloadable game for the Xbox one! I mean the game was pretty much already at least 80% completed (it was even available to play at E3 1999)!
I have to look into Twelve Tales more, but the fact that Rare was able to release high quality video of the game decades later shows that they still have it, which is nice to know! I highly doubt that rom will ever be released to the public, but it's still nice to know that the game exists today! You would think that when the game was rebranded to Bad Fur Day they would delete all those files, but thankfully not!

There are other cancelled Conker games I want more info on, like Conker's Other Bad Day and Conker: Gettin' Medieval! For Other Bad Day specifically, we have these tidbits of info:

"Conker's Other Bad Day was supposed to follow Conker's quest for his girlfriend Berri after her death in Bad Fur Day, but this time as the king of all his land. Such a premise would have been easy to come up with, since the Easter egg sequence after the ending credits of Bad Fur Day showed Conker getting wasted once again and walking into the darkness, presumably during the early morning of what was about to become his hundredth-hungover day.

It could have been that. But people wanted to know for sure. Chris Seavor answered that not only did they start working on a sequel with that title, they also had a full storyline ready to be depicted on the screen and many new movie references in mind: 'We actually started on a direct sequel which was going to be called 'Conker's Other Bad Day' which dealt with Conker's somewhat unsuccessful tenure as King. He spends all the treasury money on beer, parties and hookers. Thrown into prison, Conker is faced with the prospect of execution and the game starts with his escape, ball and chain attached, from the Castle's highest tower."

Other info about the game says that Berri would have reappeared as "The Berrinator" who would hunt Conker down, and later be known as the "Panther Queen" by the end of the game. Here's another quote talking about the game's progress and cancellation, which officially occurred in 2008:

"It had some graphics and concepts done for sure, but didn't really get much further than that. As for what happened to Conker in OBD, well he became Emperor of the Known Universe, got a new girlfriend, and lost an old one (again). There was also a massive space poo: The Cthulpoo, the main baddie. Lots of other stuff happened, with some new characters appeared and old favorites returned. We got to find out about Gregg's childhood and why he hated cats, there were tons and tons of parodies of the more contemporary movies, and an evil doppelganger version of Conker that you to play for a while. And Birdy died. That kinda stuff... As with the original, it ended on a bittersweet note."

This just makes me want the game even more! A Conker game taking place in space, where you become Emperor of the Known Universe. It seemed like this game was finally going to dive into characters more deeply instead of everyone being a walking punchline, and that's something I would have welcomed with open arms! About that bittersweet ending, I just feel so bad for Conker. When Berri died in BFD, Conker said that his only reason for living was gone, and found himself right back at the bar drinking his sorrows away. It really makes you think deeply about the characters even though they aren't supposed to be taken seriously. Conker learned the hard way that greed and desire only leads to suffering.

Dee Dude Dee Dude I'd like to be added as well!

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that!
Yeah when you think about it, it's pretty interesting that after all this years, they still kept it safe and sound!
It goes to show that if they wanted, they could pretty much still finish it, but yeah that probably will never happen!
Interestingly enough, the same thing basically happened to another project that Rare had called Dinosaur Planet, it was canceled and rebranded into a Star Fox game (which was Miyamoto's request when he first saw a bit of its gameplay footage! Several years later, well what you know, they release a video showing a huge amount of its original content!

Here, this was basically going to be the design of the castle's highest tower (the starting point of the game) where Conker had to escape from it after being arrested!

It kind of reminds me of the Bat's tower from BFD (it's probably inspired by it)! And if you look close enough at one of the bridges, you can spot, what it seems to be, one of the castle's guards, in other words, an enemy (too bad it's not very well detailed)!

By that first level, the game looked already amazing!
For a Conker game, I honestly don't really find the idea of it taking place in space to be that appealing (but that's just me)! It just seems too far from the original!
I'm not really sure if that's exactly what they were going for, but hey even if it was, maybe it could work! Now the question is, did they want it to be more like Star Fox or Super Mario Galaxy? (SMG seems like the better fit, since it's supposed to be a 3d platformer)!
I have to agree that the Cthulpoo idea looks really cool (I wonder if he would also sing)!
I also wonder if some of the old enemies, such as those green goofy creatures with spiky armors called Clang Goblings, the fire imps, the cavemen, and the Tediz were also planned to make a return! But it's really interesting to know that Honker (Conker's doppleganger and rival in Pocket Tales) was meant to return in OBD! I tjink that basically confirms that Pocket tails is canon!

character development doesn't really seem like the most important aspect in a Conker game, if you ask me! But maybe it would be nice to see Conker learning from his lesson and being less greedy and more carrying!

I agree, I got so disappointed and unhappy with the ending of Conker's Bad Fur Day when I first saw it (and to think this could all be avoided if he just got reminded of Berri, when he was talking to the programmer)!
It's really contrasting compared to the rest of the game and really gets you off-guard!
But I assume this was supposed to be more of a cliffhanger ending! Cuz Berri was supposed to return in the sequel, and I remember reading somewhere saying that Chris Seavor was thankfully planning to give a happier ending to the sequel!

Well look on the bright side, at least Birdy doesn't die!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpRL5qanyg&t=2s
This video might explain the whole concept of Gettin Medieval! It was basically going to be a multiplayer game (I believe it was going to be a sequel exclusively to the Live and Reloaded multiplayer, but the concept was going to be the middle ages instead of ww2)!
To be honest, I'm glad this got canceled cause it seemed way too distant from what I loved about the original Conker's Bad Fur Day!

Also, please add me too Dee Dude Dee Dude

Edit: SHOOT! this doesn't upload the damn image for some reason!

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that!
Yeah when you think about it, it's pretty interesting that after all this years, they still kept it safe and sound!
It goes to show that if they wanted, they could pretty much still finish it, but yeah that probably will never happen!
Interestingly enough, the same thing basically happened to another project that Rare had called Dinosaur Planet, it was canceled and rebranded into a Star Fox game (which was Miyamoto's request when he first saw a bit of its gameplay footage! Several years later, well what you know, they release a video showing a huge amount of its original content!

Here, this was basically going to be the design of the castle's highest tower (the starting point of the game) where Conker had to escape from it after being arrested!

It kind of reminds me of the Bat's tower from BFD (it's probably inspired by it)! And if you look close enough at one of the bridges, you can spot, what it seems to be, one of the castle's guards, in other words, an enemy (too bad it's not very well detailed)!

By that first level, the game looked already amazing!
For a Conker game, I honestly don't really find the idea of it taking place in space to be that appealing (but that's just me)! It just seems too far from the original!
I'm not really sure if that's exactly what they were going for, but hey even if it was, maybe it could work! Now the question is, did they want it to be more like Star Fox or Super Mario Galaxy? (SMG seems like the better fit, since it's supposed to be a 3d platformer)!
I have to agree that the Cthulpoo idea looks really cool (I wonder if he would also sing)!
I also wonder if some of the old enemies, such as those green goofy creatures with spiky armors called Clang Goblings, the fire imps, the cavemen, and the Tediz were also planned to make a return! But it's really interesting to know that Honker (Conker's doppleganger and rival in Pocket Tales) was meant to return in OBD! I tjink that basically confirms that Pocket tails is canon!

character development doesn't really seem like the most important aspect in Conker game, if you ask me! But maybe it would be nice to see Conker learning from his lesson and being less greedy and more carrying!

I agree, I got so disappointed and unhappy with the ending of Conker's Bad Fur Day when I first saw it (and to think this could all be avoided if he just got reminded of Berri, when he was talking to the programmer)!
It's really contrasting compared to the rest of the game and really gets you off-guard!
But I assume this was supposed to be more of a cliffhanger ending! Cuz Berri was supposed to return in the sequel, and I remember reading somewhere saying that Chris Seavor was thankfully planning to give a happier ending to the sequel!

Well look on the bright side, at least Birdy doesn't die!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpRL5qanyg&t=2s
This video might explain the whole concept of Gettin Medieval! It was basically going to be a multiplayer game (I believe it was going to be a sequel exclusively to the Live and Reloaded multiplayer, but the concept was going to be the middle ages instead of ww2)!
To be honest, I'm glad this got canceled cause it seemed way too distant from what I loved about the original Conker's Bad Fur Day!

Also, please add me too Dee Dude Dee Dude

SHOOT! this doesn't upload the damn image for some reason!
What bothers me is that Conker's Other Bad Day was cancelled by Microsoft in favor of Live and Reloaded. I know it had mixed reviews, but I personally enjoyed it because it's practically the closest thing we're gonna get to Conker in HD (the graphics in those game, even today, are still really good in my opinion!). Back to what I was saying, Microsoft has always made online play their top priority so it makes sense that they would want to make a Conker multiplayer game instead of a single player sequel. But what I don't understand is, why could Live and Reloaded's multiplayer be in OBD, or why couldn't Live and Reloaded come out after OBD? They cancelled a well deserved sequel that already had a heaping amount of effort put into it, even if it didn't quite get its boots off the ground in terms of the more technical stuff. Trust me, anyone who has enjoyed BFD would likely tell you that it deserves a sequel, and would probably choose it over L&R.

I also found the concept of Honker in OBD interesting too! I'm pretty sure Pocket Tales is canon along with Diddy Kong Racing, they just depict a prepubescent Conker and Berri. That's actually kind of sweet if you think about it. Conker and Berri have been together since they were kids, and they act like an old married couple in BFD. It also makes the ending of BFD a lot more depressing if you think about it...

I think when I say character development, I mean something more in the realm of continuity. If OBD came out, I would want Conker to acknowledge what happened to him in the last game, and maybe something significant comes out of it like it changes him in a way. I'm just spitballing ideas out here, but realistically Conker would probably always stay the same. We don't really know because throughout BFD, his personality ranges from greedy, manipulative, sarcastic, worried, and sadness, maybe relief here and there. But at the end of BFD we see a whole new side of him, a genuine emotion of grief. Grief is really powerful and it has clearly took a toll on Conker if he's the king with a ton of money but would rather sit in a bar to drink his sorrows away. You saw the after credits cutscene right? He looked like a mess!

I'm also glad Birdy isn't dead, and today I really started to look into Gettin' Medieval. Saw some clips on YouTube, and yeah, that could be a game, but it's not a Conker game.

TheBeastHimself

Hello! You have my support for Conker in Smash :)
I'd like to join the conversation as well. You can count me in.

Woohoo! More buddies! Welcome, it'll surely be a lot less lonely here now! I know this isn't really a big deal, but I actually teared up a little when I saw those posts because this character is one of my favorites of all time, and he also got the **** end of the stick because of Banjo (not saying there's anything wrong with that, I support the bear!). I know, I'm an emotional guy lmao.

You guys have any personal history with the game(s) you wanna dive into? Or any stages/music tracks you'd want to see if Conker got in? We're down to pretty much talk about anything and everything Conker.

D

Deleted member

Woohoo! More buddies! Welcome, it'll surely be a lot less lonely here now! I know this isn't really a big deal, but I actually teared up a little when I saw those posts because this character is one of my favorites of all time, and he also got the **** end of the stick because of Banjo (not saying there's anything wrong with that, I support the bear!). I know, I'm an emotional guy lmao.

You guys have any personal history with the game(s) you wanna dive into? Or any stages/music tracks you'd want to see if Conker got in? We're down to pretty much talk about anything and everything Conker.
Well, all I really know about Conker's games is that...uh...video...you showed me lmao.

GMP should be his stage :joyful:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Never played the game myself, but I fondly recall the game being talked about a lot in a top 10 community I watch and NCS's reaction to the Great Mighty Poo

TheBeastHimself

Never played the game myself, but I fondly recall the game being talked about a lot in a top 10 community I watch and NCS's reaction to the Great Mighty Poo
To this day, the concept of a huge pile of **** opera singing while fighting you in an N64 game still completely baffles me, and they pulled it off perfectly, even down to the lyrics. I think that's what I love most about Conker. Nintendo and Rare set this standard of what cutesy innocent platformers and characters should be like, and Conker replicates that. You can look at it and tell "oh okay, this is Nintendo". But the thing is, they completely disregard any of the platformer rules previously established. Instead of trying to rescue someone (Peach or Tootie, let's say), you're waking up after blacking out from partying and are just trying to find your way home. Instead of deserts and snow levels, you traverse a mountain of dung and a literal battlefield. The game is bold and very honest about what it wants to be, it's definitely something that would have a lot more trouble getting released now than during the early 2000s.

What's even more baffling, Nintendo advertised this game in Playboy, alcohol commercials, stuff like that. Kids stores refused to sell it, Nintendo Power refused to show it. Nobody knew what the hell happened to innocent Nintendo, how could they be releasing a game like this?? My point is, Conker is special to me because it isn't afraid to break the rules to create something never seen before. And to this day, I can definitively say there is nothing out there in the gaming world quite like Conker.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but would you be surprised to hear that Nintendo gave out Conker themed condoms at an event? Someone else mentioned that here, but yeah you could buy a drink, get condoms, and play Conker as long as you showed ID.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To this day, the concept of a huge pile of **** opera singing while fighting you in an N64 game still completely baffles me, and they pulled it off perfectly, even down to the lyrics. I think that's what I love most about Conker. Nintendo and Rare set this standard of what cutesy innocent platformers and characters should be like, and Conker replicates that. You can look at it and tell "oh okay, this is Nintendo". But the thing is, they completely disregard any of the platformer rules previously established. Instead of trying to rescue someone (Peach or Tootie, let's say), you're waking up after blacking out from partying and are just trying to find your way home. Instead of deserts and snow levels, you traverse a mountain of dung and a literal battlefield. The game is bold and very honest about what it wants to be, it's definitely something that would have a lot more trouble getting released now than during the early 2000s.

What's even more baffling, Nintendo advertised this game in Playboy, alcohol commercials, stuff like that. Kids stores refused to sell it, Nintendo Power refused to show it. Nobody knew what the hell happened to innocent Nintendo, how could they be releasing a game like this?? My point is, Conker is special to me because it isn't afraid to break the rules to create something never seen before. And to this day, I can definitively say there is nothing out there in the gaming world quite like Conker.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but would you be surprised to hear that Nintendo gave out Conker themed condoms at an event? Someone else mentioned that here, but yeah you could buy a drink, get condoms, and play Conker as long as you showed ID.
That's pretty crazy. I guess Bayonetta could in some way relate to Conker, considering Nintendo and Playboy teamed up again to advertise the series once.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
What bothers me is that Conker's Other Bad Day was cancelled by Microsoft in favor of Live and Reloaded. I know it had mixed reviews, but I personally enjoyed it because it's practically the closest thing we're gonna get to Conker in HD (the graphics in those game, even today, are still really good in my opinion!). Back to what I was saying, Microsoft has always made online play their top priority so it makes sense that they would want to make a Conker multiplayer game instead of a single player sequel. But what I don't understand is, why could Live and Reloaded's multiplayer be in OBD, or why couldn't Live and Reloaded come out after OBD? They cancelled a well deserved sequel that already had a heaping amount of effort put into it, even if it didn't quite get its boots off the ground in terms of the more technical stuff. Trust me, anyone who has enjoyed BFD would likely tell you that it deserves a sequel, and would probably choose it over L&R.

I also found the concept of Honker in OBD interesting too! I'm pretty sure Pocket Tales is canon along with Diddy Kong Racing, they just depict a prepubescent Conker and Berri. That's actually kind of sweet if you think about it. Conker and Berri have been together since they were kids, and they act like an old married couple in BFD. It also makes the ending of BFD a lot more depressing if you think about it...

I think when I say character development, I mean something more in the realm of continuity. If OBD came out, I would want Conker to acknowledge what happened to him in the last game, and maybe something significant comes out of it like it changes him in a way. I'm just spitballing ideas out here, but realistically Conker would probably always stay the same. We don't really know because throughout BFD, his personality ranges from greedy, manipulative, sarcastic, worried, and sadness, maybe relief here and there. But at the end of BFD we see a whole new side of him, a genuine emotion of grief. Grief is really powerful and it has clearly took a toll on Conker if he's the king with a ton of money but would rather sit in a bar to drink his sorrows away. You saw the after credits cutscene right? He looked like a mess!

I'm also glad Birdy isn't dead, and today I really started to look into Gettin' Medieval. Saw some clips on YouTube, and yeah, that could be a game, but it's not a Conker game.
I know, that was such a bad idea! I personally didn't appreciate Live and Reloaded at all, the graphics are indeed impressive (for the time) but they really lack the colourfull and cartoony look and charm of the original, I mean what's the point of it looking so realistic, when it's supposed to be representing cartoon characters? If they did something like Super Mario Odyssey, where the animated characters (and a couple more things) still have a cartoony and colourfull appearance, while other aspects (but not exactly everything) followed their natural appearance, that would have been much better!
And some of the redesigns (Clang Goblings, Mrs.Bee, and most notably, the Tediz) were just plain bad! Also the multiplayer in BFD was so much better, creative and unique, L&R one is just "Halo-ish"!
But anyway, yeah with how much was planned with OBD, I really don't see how they thought throwing it all the away, just to make an unnecessary remake of the original was a good idea, to begin with! I mean, BFD was barely four years old at that time, and I don't see any flaw that would justify a remake! Not saying that the original game is a 100%perfect but, remakes are only for games that have certain aspects that didn't age well and could be improved (like RE's camera angle or Castlevania's difficulty), and it should be, at the minimum of 10 years after the original got released!
By techical stuff, do you mean graphics? cuz I think Conker would have even looked way better if he looked like this (but with a red-orange fur colour, like in BFD) which is probably what they were going for in OBD!

Also, about the whole "is Banjo more popular than Conker?" discussion, that we were having before, isn't it also interesting that in this announcement, Conker gets alot more representation and screen time (hell, he is seen almost throughout the whole video), than Banjo?!
I'm really starting to think that Rare is more proud of Conker (which makes sense, if you ask me)!

I think that Diddy Kong racing was really confirmed to be canon, cause there are alot of direct references to that game and its events in Donkey Kong 64!
Yeah, you're right! Although, Berri got quite a big redesign in BFD!
It trully is, no wonder why he was emotionally obeliterated!
In my previous comment, i said that I remembered seeing a confirmation that OBD would have a happier ending, but I am sadly starting to think that was a case of Mandela-effect (must have misunderstood the bittersweet ending quote from Chris Seavor) but when he said "got a new girlfriend, lost one (Berri again)", did he meant that the sequel was going to have almost the same ending as the first one? Cuz that's really unsatisfying! I thought the first one was supposed to be a cliffhanger and that the point of getting Berri back as Berrinator, was to conclude the sequel with a happy ending!

Yes, that's true, I'd like to see Conker learning from his big mistake, but still be a little bit greedy (but not as much as the first one) so that he could stay in character! In the original, the only thing he was interested in, was the money, even at the war, when he was protecting that little girl, he was just assuming that her parents would give him a big reward! It was just when he had it all, that he trully realized that the best thing he ever had his whole life was gone,
I think it would be really heartwarming to see him with that in mind, when he saw Berri returning!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wut

Wut did you just say

Top Bottom