• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

99.9% Sure this is new: Eruption Spike

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Man I haven't been on here in ages, I need to change the avi.....but anyways, if somehow I'm wrong, and this is old (but I don't think it is, Silverflash and others on GameFAQs found it to be new), sorry.

But anyways, I have discovered that Ike's Neutral B move, Eruption, does indeed have a spike in it, and I managed to take a 30 second clip of it, as well as a snapshot, as proof of concept.

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/1st_N_I_D_D_O_/?action=view&current=MVI_2442.flv

I believe, if used correctly, this could make Ike more dangerous in the air. Why? It's a spike, with super armor frames, slows his fall down slightly during the attack, and if it misses, there is a very good chance you did it too late, and thus, you'll send the opponent flying over your head. Also, it's, IIRC, faster then his Dair.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Not new (silven's mentioned it before, ninjalink apparently brought it to his attention), but still helpful, and dair is a much safer option of the 2. That said, I love eruption.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Crap, I was afraid of that. Dang it...... Sorry. >_< I hadn't found anyone on GameFAQs yet who already knew about it....

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
I want someone to set up a situation where we can see how effective this can actually be. How hard it spikes, etc. It'll be purely a random thing to use, but nice to mix it up. Wall of flame+edgeguard+spike=halp!

Well, against noobz, anyway. <_< Still, though. Do it. :p

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I knew it spiked. I successfully did it once before by accident on shadow moses island when he mistimed his air dodge. It slammed him straight down onto the platform. It's kinda hard to pull off, because you have to hit with the tip of the blade, and your opponent may get an idea on what you're going to do. But this is situational.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No, it works in the air. I've thrown people into the air, and then spiked them down. I still think if properly learned/mastered, it can become quiet deadly.

Of course, I'm not in a place where I can use my Wii much right now. >_>

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, it's situational. True that you have the support of the SAF, you're going to need incredible accuracy to spike, but it's still useful after considering the hit box of the move so it still has the potential to send them up to their graves.

Felis

Smash Cadet
Even thou it was mentioned before I didn't know about it so thanks. And yes If this is mastered Ike's game play will be that much scarier.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
The funny thing with the eruption spike is...there will almost always be a better more guaranteed option. Why take the risk of trying to spike someone with eruption when you can just do a normal aerial that will probably work better.

I know the SA frames are beneficial but it still has a decent amount of post lag if you whiff Eruption. I don't know about you but my opponents will act on this...and quickly, especially if I try it more than once. I wish this was as easy as it sounded though, it's almost too precise to be useful in my opinion.

Kirk

Smash Champion
The funny thing with the eruption spike is...there will almost always be a better more guaranteed option. Why take the risk of trying to spike someone with eruption when you can just do a normal aerial that will probably work better.

I know the SA frames are beneficial but it still has a decent amount of post lag if you whiff Eruption. I don't know about you but my opponents will act on this...and quickly, especially if I try it more than once. I wish this was as easy as it sounded though, it's almost too precise to be useful in my opinion.
Couldn't have put it better myself. For one, the accuracy needed to even pull off the spike is VERY high. Combine that with a moving, smart opponent and you'll almost never pull it off. I couldn't even get off a spike on a dummy falling straight down in training. And yeah, if you miss, you're gonna have lots of lag to deal with...you can't fall down very far or you won't be able to get back up, let alone your opponent is there ready to edgeguard.

At the risk of being redundant to what Silven already said(even though I probably already was), I'll just leave this with:

If you're going for a spike...Dair.

Top Bottom