• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

916 / Sacramento Smash: DP will never post here

SadPanda

Smash Cadet
So there's this game, maybe you've heard of it. It's called SSBM and people say it is pretty good. We should get together and try it out.

DRGN

Technowizard
Hmm. So I wikied it, and it says it's pretty much the best game. Yeah, we should try it.

Delphiki and I should be free tomorrow. :)

(I think a lot of people are busy with finals right now! At least, that's my best guess for this sudden lull in activity here.)

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Yeah, finals are taking up a lot of my time, as well as personal stuff, so I haven't been free lately. :/
Plus, my transportation has been gone, so I haven't been able to travel.

I wish I could play with you tomorrow, DRGN, but alas, I am busy. V_V

Wolfy!

Indecisive
lol fuhnky.

We should play tomorrow.

EDIT: Kinda shaky on whether or not I can actually play tomorrow, but I'll check and let you know.

DRGN

Technowizard
Nope didn't know.
Yep!

Glad you asked! There are two types: g-type, and b-type.

g-type invincibility negates damage, knockback, etc, for the defending character, but still counts a hitbox as having 'connected', and will give the attacker hitlag. Examples of g-type: respawning, and the first 8 frames of throws.

b-type however, doesn't register hits at all (so you can still get hit by the hitbox once your invincibility wears off, and there's no hitlag). Examples of b-type: dodging/rolling, ledge manuevers, and briefly in some moves like Jigg's Rest, Sheik's Up-B, shine, etc.

The kind that hurt and the kind that don't?
Lol idk if that counts. ...Hmm, so then does that mean Lip's Stick gives negative invincibility?

TvH

Smash Rookie
Thought I'd try here and ask if anyone happens to be from the Stockton area? I'm looking for people to play with who are with cuz i just moved back to Stockton.

TvH

Smash Rookie
Meep and Darkmike live there I think? I don't know how to get in contact with them though. JR / KFC any ideas?
Well Choknater has told me about KFC but apparently he's away at college and may not come back.(why would you lol)

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
sup

yeah andre is right i can't come back anymore

i can't request days off until ive been working there for a year (i dont plan on working there for longer than a year so yeah thats out of the question)

just ask somebody to add you to the central cali group on fb, you can get into contact with stockton smashers there. vincent aka meep is probably the best player there right now, seeing as how darkmike is rusty x10

TvH

Smash Rookie
Alright for sure, I can't seem to find the central cali facebook though.

Also when are the Sacramento tournaments, last i heard you guys were having monthlies?

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Yeah. TAG Monthlies usually run every month (next one is June 16th), and those are run by Seris and company. And I run the For Great Justice monthly (the next one will be sometime in late June, most likely the 23rd). The link for TAG is here and once I update the FGJ thread for the next tournament, I will link it.

TvH

Smash Rookie
Yeah. TAG Monthlies usually run every month (next one is June 16th), and those are run by Seris and company. And I run the For Great Justice monthly (the next one will be sometime in late June, most likely the 23rd). The link for TAG is here and once I update the FGJ thread for the next tournament, I will link it.
Okay sweet thanks. And I'm probably still not in your league Wolfy, but I'm down to make the trip out to galt to play if you ever got the time!

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Oh, sweet! :D
I can hit you up if I have free time (which I should have plenty of now that school is over for me) and we can play.

ARON?

Smash Apprentice
So me, drgn, and delphiki are playing at drgn's at 7:30pm today. Others should come. They really should

ARON?

Smash Apprentice
Tks for playing yesterday drgn. Your zelda is too good. Your sheik is okay.

DRGN

Technowizard
^ dat sucks. Be sure to get in touch with us for some friendlies when you're in town though. :)

lol Sheik is overrated.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Cuz I was messing around with autocancelled aerials and noticed that Falco's AC Bair is FAR more useful than Falcon's AC Bair, lol.

Yes, but can Falco Sacred Combo? No? I rest my case.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Sup guys. I would love to get in on some melee action soon. I've been jonsin' for a good forever long sesssion.

I still absolutely want to get training in for all you guys as well. Basically, I just want everyone to learn how to practice. To help me not have to type a lot, here's a great post from a musician website about practicing (music but it still applies to melee).

http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/

In a nutshell: practice smart. Don't work on things you can already do and try to perfect them, that's dumb. Work on things that you notice you suck at. If something is hard for you to do, don't evade it, don't say you don't need to learn it, just stop being a sissy in denial and find out how to do that thing you normally can't do, what your problem is, and work out that problem.

A good example would be waveshine/jc shining after hitting your opponent with the shine. I can't tell you how many countless times I had this issue. I first had to ask myself the question, "Why does this keep happening!!!??". As it turns out, my timing was off with the jump after the shine. You can generally jc or wavedash out of a shine very fast, as long as you're not hitting the opponent. With the hit lag generated from landing a hit, it takes a few more frames until a response can be read from any other button, unlike when you waveshine/jc without hitting someone. I was basically moving my hands as if I wasn't hitting anyone with the WS/JCS, even when I was hitting someone with the shine lol. To solve this dilemma, I went into training mode and practiced slowing down my WS/JCS so that it looked horrendously slow, proceeded to increase my speed incrementally until I got to the point where I wasn't able to do a WS/JCS anymore, then went back a step to the last time I could do it flawlessly, and DELIBERATELY practice the feeling for this timing over and over till I felt comfortable doing it by myself.

THE NEXT STEP was incorporating it into ACTUAL gameplay. Your brain thinks differently when you're practicing by yourself vs when you're practicing with someone. Anytime I had a chance to perform a WS/JCS, I did. I was less focused on winning (winning teaches you nothing) and was more focused on getting that feeling I had in practice into actual gameplay. Eventually I was able to perform it flawlessly 95% of the time and was able to incorporate it into my playstyle.

Definitely read that article, it will help you learn how to practice and help you improve your game 10 fold.

PRACTICE SMART SACRAMENTO!

I hope to play all of you soon.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
<3 NK
I'm gonna go practice edge cancels now.
Good!!!

Just keep in mind while you practice those ledge cancels, think about the technical aspects needed and the situations you'll be using them in.

The concept for ledge cancel is simple enough; use your momentum to carry you off the platform thus canceling whatever aerial you are performing.

Make sure you practice in as many situations and variations as possible. Standing on a platform in just the right spot and then performing the necessary actions to ledge cancel over and over again is pointless. Try leading into the cancels by running from the ground then performing an attack straight through, practice them backwards and forwards, try going from the top platform to the furthest edge of the platform you plan on canceling on, do it from shield, practice from a dead standstill, basically practice as many things as you possibly can concerning ledge canceling.

Find out what's the most difficult thing about ledge canceling for you and fix it! Is it hard and you're getting frustrated? Take a chill pill, take a break, and get right back into it.

The goal is to have a good feeling for ledge canceling from any situation so that you can perform it effortlessly in game. Imagine only being able to do the ledge cancel in specific situations. Your opponent is going to pick up that you can only do it in so-and-so situation and read you like a book.

Your aim should be to have an arsenal of techniques and tactics for any given situation allowing you to mixup your game and be as unpredictable as possible. The biggest threat to any smasher is predictability. All the tech skill in the world will do nothing for you if you can't apply it practically in game.

I'll keep my responses more stinted from now on but I'll check the thread constantly (I quit facebook LOL) to see if you guys have any questions or want me to check out any of your vids.

PRACTICE SMART!

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Facebook is freeeeeeee

I'm probably going to try to get some of my matches recorded at the next tournament I go to (which should be this Sunday), so if I have some, I'll ask for some critique.

Thanks for all the help, NK. :D

EDIT: WELP, LOOKS LIKE I WON'T BE GOIN' ON SUNDAY... unless I get a ride... which is looking increasingly unlikely...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i just practice dash attacks with ic's cuz it hits everything LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

falco is lasering? dash attack
fox is dash dancing? dash attack

:D7

Top Bottom