• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8th gen Pokemon for another Fighters Pass thread!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You really think Wooloo belongs in Smash tho? Nah, you're just deflecting that I'm right, and there's no worthwhile choices right now.

Talk about a lazy joke. Bet you were proud of it though, like the 30 other people that resorted to it when I disagree with their opinions.

Have fun supporting Wooloo in Smash, and regretting it later like y'all who support characters from Gens instead of specific characters always seem to do.
i never said anything about any one belonging in smash i was merely pointing out how popular some of them are while you claiming most of the fandom didnt like anyone. more to the point who deserves to be in smash or who's worthwhile while is up to sakurai. this thread is about all of gen 8 as it gets revealed what we think could work in smash the sharing of ideas nothing bout thinking we need a rep for each gen.

youre seem to be conflating things from very little

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Frankly, this is going too far if you're taking potshots at users or being hostile just because you don't like a character choice.

Show respect for other opinions. Enough.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
i never said anything about any one belonging in smash i was merely pointing out how popular some of them are while you claiming most of the fandom didnt like anyone. more to the point who deserves to be in smash or who's worthwhile while is up to sakurai. this thread is about all of gen 8 as it gets revealed what we think could work in smash the sharing of ideas nothing bout thinking we need a rep for each gen.

youre seem to be conflating things from very little
I think gen reps are stupid in general let alone one from something that isn't fully revealed yet, but even then I put it way more respectfully than that initially, yet some dumbass just decided to making dumb jokes about my name disregarding my opinion which takes me from zero to 100 quick. Y'all wanna discuss, or did y'all just wanna jerk each other off? There's better places for the latter than SB

Frankly, this is going too far if you're taking potshots at users or being hostile just because you don't like a character choice.

Show respect for other opinions. Enough.
Ooooo bold lettering you really frightened me there. Ignore people disregarding my opinion and making jokes about it, go straight into the "don't insult people's character choices we're so sensitive here crap". Read my DM and ban me, I'm done listening to these dumb ****ing warnings from babysitting, powertripping mods.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People have every right to want Gen reps too. That's a perfectly fine opinion to have. It happens.

FYI, report problematic posts instead. We will not tolerate backseat moderating or hostile behavior towards others because it doesn't fit your specific preference.

It's temporarily locked while we sort this out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's been sorted out. Please keep it civil as it'll be unlocked now. Also, try to remember that while not everyone will like the idea, be reasonable about how you present your opinions too.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I'm new to Pokemon (Got introduce to it Let's Go, Smash, and Pogo)

A gen 2,5,8 rep would be cool. I don't know why I want that though. Something in me kinda wants a rep from each gen.

I saw an interesting post. People asking for a representation from each gen but get mad at people who want a FE rep from each game. It's kinda the same thing now that I think about it.

Anyways add me down as a supporter!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm new to Pokemon (Got introduce to it Let's Go, Smash, and Pogo)

A gen 2,5,8 rep would be cool. I don't know why I want that though. Something in me kinda wants a rep from each gen.

I saw an interesting post. People asking for a representation from each gen but get mad at people who want a FE rep from each game. It's kinda the same thing now that I think about it.

Anyways add me down as a supporter!
To be fair, there's way more FE games than there are Generations in Pokemon.

It probably helps that every Generation has their respective standouts. Pokemon is also more popular than Fire Emblem.

I'd like to see a rep per Gen too, but it's harder to do that and keep all the neat Pokemon we have. That's 3 more on top of the 10 we have. Definitely would be interesting if done, though~

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, there's way more FE games than there are Generations in Pokemon.

It probably helps that every Generation has their respective standouts. Pokemon is also more popular than Fire Emblem.

I'd like to see a rep per Gen too, but it's harder to do that and keep all the neat Pokemon we have. That's 3 more on top of the 10 we have. Definitely would be interesting if done, though~
Though, I am sure we could get some echo fighters. Plusle and Minum could be an echo of Pichu. (Maybe IDK them that much.) Then we gave gen 5 and 8. I don't know much of gen 5 and who can echo who. Maybe someone new from Gen 8 will get revealed and a gen 5 echo would be attached to them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Though, I am sure we could get some echo fighters. Plusle and Minum could be an echo of Pichu. (Maybe IDK them that much.) Then we gave gen 5 and 8. I don't know much of gen 5 and who can echo who. Maybe someone new from Gen 8 will get revealed and a gen 5 echo would be attached to them.
Yeah, Pichu, Plusle, and Minun share the same bodytype. So that'd work. I presume you mean with two alts, being 4 of each? Cause if they're a tag team as was likely the case, then they couldn't be an echo.

I don't think Gen 5 really has any proper Echo choices. A lot of them are the wrong bodytype overall. Even the expies of other Pokemon(or very similar roles) have some fairly big differences that make it really difficult to justify that. Though who knows, the Gen 5 and 8 thing could work.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Pichu, Plusle, and Minun share the same bodytype. So that'd work. I presume you mean with two alts, being 4 of each? Cause if they're a tag team as was likely the case, then they couldn't be an echo.

I don't think Gen 5 really has any proper Echo choices. A lot of them are the wrong bodytype overall. Even the expies of other Pokemon(or very similar roles) have some fairly big differences that make it really difficult to justify that. Though who knows, the Gen 5 and 8 thing could work.
Yes I mean two alts. Plusle with 4 colors and minimum with 4 colors.

However, I see people who don't count Pichu as gen 2 (IDK why.) Maybe they would not count them as gen 3.

A gen 8+5 duo would work. In a sense we are only getting 2 characters. (I count echos as .5)

But with 8 (counting trainer as one) would being us to

9-10 Pokemon reps. (Depending how you see it).

Is that to many? Personally IDK.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes I mean two alts. Plusle with 4 colors and minimum with 4 colors.

However, I see people who don't count Pichu as gen 2 (IDK why.) Maybe they would not count them as gen 3.

A gen 8+5 duo would work. In a sense we are only getting 2 characters. (I count echos as .5)

But with 8 (counting trainer as one) would being us to

9-10 Pokemon reps. (Depending how you see it).

Is that to many? Personally IDK.
Trainer is officially counted as 3 Pokemon. Plusle/Minun would be 1 in this case. And some are just mad that Pichu is a weak clone(in Melee) and not someone who is who they want. He's a Gen II rep no matter how you go about it. It's silly they don't count him. Of course, it doesn't mean you should have to like the Pokemon or anything. I get some wanted others like Scizor, for instance. Nothing wrong with that.

If we did all that, that'd be... 13 reps officially. Which wouldn't be bad, especially since every Gen gets a neat rep. Makes me wonder how Plusle/Minun would be different. Maybe having lower gravity, but more overall power? Though Pichu is already a powerhouse alone(and hurts itself in return). They literally nerfed it in the latest patch. Crazy.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Trainer is officially counted as 3 Pokemon. Plusle/Minun would be 1 in this case. And some are just mad that Pichu is a weak clone(in Melee) and not someone who is who they want. He's a Gen II rep no matter how you go about it. It's silly they don't count him. Of course, it doesn't mean you should have to like the Pokemon or anything. I get some wanted others like Scizor, for instance. Nothing wrong with that.

If we did all that, that'd be... 13 reps officially. Which wouldn't be bad, especially since every Gen gets a neat rep. Makes me wonder how Plusle/Minun would be different. Maybe having lower gravity, but more overall power? Though Pichu is already a powerhouse alone(and hurts itself in return). They literally nerfed it in the latest patch. Crazy.
Maybe they can be less powerful but don't hurt themselves? (Yet that would be Pikachu)

They could do another trainer having the three missing Gens. But that may take away from Pokemon Trainers gimmick.

At this point with 6 gen 1 reps I feel Gen 3 and 5 have lost their time. By the time smash 6 roles around He. 9/10 would be out.

Unless they don't do "Everyone is Here" again. (Which would be disappointing to me.)

They only way I can see gen 3/5 getting in if they are an echo or apart of a Trainer #2 with gen 8.

Edit:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth

What about a Pokemon Trainer with:
Scorbunny
Dewott
Sceptile

Thoughts?

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I’m feeling that Pokémon might get some special kind of dlc. Where we get a new Pokémon fighter for the new region (likely a starter), a new stage on that region (obviously), and a new smash ultimate boss (maybe Mewtwo Y, insane lusamine, or even Ultra Necrosma). It just feels weird to add new Pokémon fighters in the same way they add other fighters without trying to make them seem bigger.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m feeling that Pokémon might get some special kind of dlc. Where we get a new Pokémon fighter for the new region (likely a starter), a new stage on that region (obviously), and a new smash ultimate boss (maybe Mewtwo Y, insane lusamine, or even Ultra Necrosma). It just feels weird to add new Pokémon fighters in the same way they add other fighters without trying to make them seem bigger.
I don't recall Smash ever making a big deal of Pokemon newcomers particularly. They're treated like every other fighter once they are implemented.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, apparently, if this leak's info is accurate, not even a latest gen Pokémon is guaranteed for DLC:

https://smashboards.com/threads/temporary-ultimate-social-thread.484266/page-625#post-23421220

I don't recall Smash ever making a big deal of Pokemon newcomers particularly. They're treated like every other fighter once they are implemented.
It's more that every new Smash entry (except arguably for Brawl, although in fairness gen 3 was skipped over pretty hard overall) introduces at least one new Pokémon stage without fail, no matter if they're related to the current gen or not. This time, every old Pokémon stage is back, yet there aren't any new ones, when games like Super Mario Odyssey and BOTW still manage to get stages representing them.

For the new Pokémon content to just be a character and some music is a little odd. If it was for an older gen, it'd be understandable, but 7 was the most recent one prior to this year. This doesn't happen very often.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, they remade every stage from scratch, with no port-overs, so it wasn't a priority. Besides that, the fact that Sakurai is just setting a slot out for Pokemon means it's not as easy to worry about anything but solely the character alone. A lot of stages were not brought back too. Not every franchise that got a new character, 3rd parties aside, got a new stage too. We got literally 4 new stages. Isabelle didn't gain a new stage either despite this. We got a Splatoon, Mario, Zelda, and Castlevania stage. And we got 5 more after that(one of which is confirmed, with Mementos). We didn't get a new Metroid or DK stage either. I don't think Pokemon is special in this regard. It just feels like it wasn't a key priority. Maybe Incineroar being added later was part of why.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
though in comparison to the 96 that did return 15 doesnt seem a lot
If they couldn't get more stages done when the game was already rushed, it's pretty easy to see why they stopped.

Pokemon stages require a lot of work, as they're always full of cameos. That takes a lot of time compared to many others. It's easy to see why it wasn't high priority. Though we have a decent chance of getting one if we get a Fighter's Pass Pokemon.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pokemon stages require a lot of work, as they're always full of cameos. That takes a lot of time compared to many others. It's easy to see why it wasn't high priority. Though we have a decent chance of getting one if we get a Fighter's Pass Pokemon.
Don't they recycle models for cameos? I know that Melee was full of Pokemon Stadium models for non-playable Pokemon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't they recycle models for cameos? I know that Melee was full of Pokemon Stadium models for non-playable Pokemon.
Just like with Gen VIII, it's not that simple. They have to still update the models to new palettes, which takes a ton of manwork.

It's why they can't give us a National Dex without a ton of time and work. Same problem.

So basically that's something that takes a huge amount of time and is in no way easy. It's also possible Pokemon Company wasn't trying to heavily promote their latest game. S/M actually came out way before Smash, and USUM wasn't at the best of timing for advertisement reasons. So that could be part of why too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If they couldn't get more stages done when the game was already rushed, it's pretty easy to see why they stopped.

indded, the amount of work that must have went into this game is staggering, if we loose out on couple new stages what does it matter?

Just like with Gen VIII, it's not that simple. They have to still update the models to new palettes, which takes a ton of manwork.

It's why they can't give us a National Dex without a ton of time and work. Same problem.

So basically that's something that takes a huge amount of time and is in no way easy. It's also possible Pokemon Company wasn't trying to heavily promote their latest game. S/M actually came out way before Smash, and USUM wasn't at the best of timing for advertisement reasons. So that could be part of why too.
do you suppose there a parallel between smash and pokemon, the way that they decided to leave out certain things as the work was getting to much for them and focus on other things

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
love em, maybe its me but theres something oddly british about pokemon based on strawberries and cream and lumps of coal

also gigantmaxing is another thing from a rumour so do be careful those of you wishing to avoid spoilers

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
New Pokemon has been revealed.
Super Mario RPG's Bundt has reincarnated into a Pokémon, apparently. A rather neat concept.

Also, they pump out these Pokémon games fast these days. Game Freak barely gets any room to breathe between generations under these circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
seeing as galar is based on england itd be a nice touch if the characters spoke in uk english

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dont about the rest of you but gigantimax alcremie uts me in mind of lady madue's final form from tri force heroes

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i think we have some terrific candidates there, i think both the new ones would make great smashers

also im in love with galar weezing fan blooming tastic, have to say i was very unsure of this england based pokemon region but between weezing and the bit about young delinquents i feel the hit the nail right on the head, though to be fair british delinquents dont quite look like team yell (some do but not all)

and i love that theyve expanded on regional variations by adding new evolutions, and team yell is from the pre pokemon direct leak

so thatd mean the different farfetched they mentions is probably the evolved form of a regional variant

dont know anything about the leaks that have come after the direct

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
well i think we have some terrific candidates there, i think both the new ones would make great smashers

also im in love with galar weezing fan blooming tastic, have to say i was very unsure of this england based pokemon region but between weezing and the bit about young delinquents i feel the hit the nail right on the head, though to be fair british delinquents dont quite look like team yell (some do but not all)

and i love that theyve expanded on regional variations by adding new evolutions, and team yell is from the pre pokemon direct leak

so thatd mean the different farfetched they mentions is probably the evolved form of a regional variant

dont know anything about the leaks that have come after the direct
I think regional evolutions are cool ideas but that means in the future we can't use them again.

Also since you brought up the leaks

Grooky's would probably be the best fit for something unique. Sobble's spy thing may make him an interesting candidate depending on how they go about it. Probably would be a better assist trophy though.

Also Sirfetch'd would be amazing if they don't make a terrible design for it

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think regional evolutions are cool ideas but that means in the future we can't use them again.

Also since you brought up the leaks

Grooky's would probably be the best fit for something unique. Sobble's spy thing may make him an interesting candidate depending on how they go about it. Probably would be a better assist trophy though.

Also Sirfetch'd would be amazing if they don't make a terrible design for it
i mean we got the alolan forms in a few following games so lets not rule anything out yet

yeah it sounds like the starters' final form would make great smash candidates

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Say what you will about the whole controversy regarding Sword and Shield, I am totally fine with games. I like what I see. Especially Doug Wheezadome, owner of the Galardales Wheezadome.

I support. Especially if that Pokémon is Obstagoon or, if we wanna get really fun in here, Galar Weezing, but eh.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, I was taking the side that I really didn't want to see any gen 8 pokemon, or any pokemon in general, making their way into Smash Ultimate.

But then I saw Galar Weezing...

Top Bottom