• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8th gen Pokemon for another Fighters Pass thread!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Never mind, it's just Gigantamax forms for favorite Kanto Pokémon. At this stage, they ran out of new stuff to showcase near release without going into spoiler territory, I guess. At least Arcadenik Arcadenik should be happy about it.
Oh, I’m very happy about Meowth’s Final Smash. :awesome:

4DDF5827-3071-4D97-86B3-56FF4BAB6806.jpeg

Ssriously... now is a good time to support Meowth and Team Rocket for Smash.

Meowth and Team Rocket are finally relevant in games again.

Sun / Moon - Meowth is finally available as a wild Pokémon again (you couldn’t catch them in Ruby / Sapphire, Diamond / Pearl, Black / White, and X / Y); Meowth gets an Alolan form

Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon - Team Rocket finally came back (they were only in Red / Blue and Gold / Silver and their remakes)

Pokémon Let’s Go - Jessie, James, and Meowth from the anime finally got a video game appearance for the first time since Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Puzzle League

Smash Ultimate DLC - Team Rocket is the first Pokémon Mii costume

Sword / Shield - Meowth gets a Gigantamax form; Mystery Gift Pokémon available for the first three months

Meowth & Team Rocket for Smash!

649A4FF2-DF52-485F-8F60-F78EEF9FC532.jpeg

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dunno im getting kind of tired of team rocket, not the anime trio but the rest of them

tall meowth ftw though

there was a rumor that theres a garlar mewoth think it was the same one that said tall gigantimax meowth, something about it being spiky

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure that the organisation itself has only been majorly used in the anime, outside of that it only recently showed up in Go and US/UM as far as the games go (before that point, they've stopped mattering since G/S). Besides, I don't think Team Loud will get hijacked by Giovanni for no reason.

As far as Kanto overuse is concerned, fans laser focus a lot more on the Pokémon.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure that the organisation itself has only been majorly used in the anime, outside of that it only recently showed up in Go and US/UM as far as the games go (before that point, they've stopped mattering since G/S). Besides, I don't think Team Loud will get hijacked by Giovanni for no reason.

As far as Kanto overuse is concerned, fans laser focus a lot more on the Pokémon.
maybe its just me then, its not necessarily a bad thing pandering to gen 1, im still hoping for and electric garlar tangela made of cables, but it still feels like its the same gen 1 guys over and over

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
IMO there is no Gen 1 pandering.

Sword and Shield is certainly getting plenty of non-Gen 1 Pokémon.

https://serebii.net/swordshield/galarpokedex.shtml
well most of the known gigantimax forms are for gen 1 same with most of the known garlar forms and last time around all alola forms were gen 1 so you cant really blame people for thinking that

as i said though my problem is that its the same gen 1 pokemon over and over, im mean fair enough with pikachu he is the mascot, but you know eevee and charizard its just unsurprising, at least with ponyta, weezing and sirfetched they hadnt really had much before, no mega forms no signature z moves so it was nice to see them with something

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given how people reacted to Black & White having no returning Pokémon in it before the main story was cleared, it's no wonder why GF and TPC backpedal pretty hard with the tried-and-true (as an extension of the SOP in their culture when something new gets rejected). Heck, they briefly considered changing the gameplay for Sw/Sh (something a friend of mine was super-worried about), but ultimately went against it.

Meanwhile, :ultcharizard: overshadows his two fellow starters, again:

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
grooky final evolution.png
Grooky's final evolution stage.

Those new pokemon sword and shield leaks came out much earlier than the Let's Go pikachu and Eevee leaks, but importantly, the unannounced pokemon were leaked.

Last edited:

Lionel_B

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 244324 Grooky's final evolution stage.

Those new pokemon sword and shield leaks came out much earlier than the Let's Go pikachu and Eevee leaks, but importantly, the unannounced pokemon were leaked.
I can not imagine this Pokémon being playable in Smash Bros. For the simple reason that he has this big drum he has to move, adapt it for a fighter gameplay in Smash... It looks too complicated... But I know why we ask this Pokémon, to complete the trinity Grass/Fire/Water with Greninja and Incineroar... But anyway, no grass stater would be as well integrated in the game as Decidueye... Sakurai has left the opportunity, and a year later, I never recovered.

If I had to bet, I would rather choose Intelleon, for a lot of reason that I explained in the Sobble topic.

But well, I was wrong to support Decidueye, so why start again with another, in any case, it will not be the same.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can not imagine this Pokémon being playable in Smash Bros. For the simple reason that he has this big drum he has to move, adapt it for a fighter gameplay in Smash... It looks too complicated... But I know why we ask this Pokémon, to complete the trinity Grass/Fire/Water with Greninja and Incineroar... But anyway, no grass stater would be as well integrated in the game as Decidueye... Sakurai has left the opportunity, and a year later, I never recovered.

If I had to bet, I would rather choose Intelleon, for a lot of reason that I explained in the Sobble topic.

But well, I was wrong to support Decidueye, so why start again with another, in any case, it will not be the same.
i can imagine anything in smash, but thats just me i cant help myself

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Eww... if that’s the grass starter, I’d rather Sakurai revisit Decidueye. He considered adding Decidueye before he decided he wanted a wrestler more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well by law of Ash's Pokemon, let's see if he picks up Grookey or Sobble.

But with the leaks going around I have a feeling we've not seen the Gen 8 Pokemon as of yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, people are going to go through the Seven Stages of Grief over this one. Even Sabi had to face the cold hard facts over EVERY Pokémon that got cut. Which leads me to regret having posted this:

Given how people reacted to Black & White having no returning Pokémon in it before the main story was cleared, it's no wonder why GF and TPC backpedal pretty hard with the tried-and-true (as an extension of the SOP in their culture when something new gets rejected). Heck, they briefly considered changing the gameplay for Sw/Sh (something a friend of mine was super-worried about), but ultimately went against it.

Meanwhile, :ultcharizard: overshadows his two fellow starters, again:

He didn't just overshadow the two, Squirtle and Bulbasaur just plain don't show up.

the excuse he gave felt a bit made up on the spot
Well they can't legally use Star Man or anyone else from Pro Wrestling anyway, since the majority of the characters are based or inspired by real-life wrestlers. They didn't even get spirits.

Incineroar's cartoony-looking enough to get away with it, since he only bears a passing resemblance to Tiger Mask. Besides, I still think Game Freak and/or TPC are secretly persuading him to go after any Pokémon that might get focus in the anime anyways.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well they can't legally use Star Man or anyone else from Pro Wrestling anyway, since the majority of the characters are based or inspired by real-life wrestlers. They didn't even get spirits.

Incineroar's cartoony-looking enough to get away with it, since he only bears a passing resemblance to Tiger Mask. Besides, I still think Game Freak and/or TPC are secretly persuading him to go after any Pokémon that might get focus in the anime anyways.
the reason he gave was he thought incenroar would be more unique, so i cant help but wonder what he was picturing for decidueye

that would explain why we didnt get any of those wrestlers but we could of had the one from rhythm paradise

andree123

Smash Ace
Seems like we're not getting a Pokemon from Sword and Shield as a fighter at all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, old habits die hard, eh? So much for that, but at least I still got :ultincineroar: out of this deal. With any luck, the Gen 8 trainer idea will have gained traction by Smash 6. Wonder how difficult it was to negotiate with Sugimori for all that artwork.

In before the incessant chant of THIRD PARTIES ONLY gets even louder...

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Seems like we're not getting a Pokemon from Sword and Shield as a fighter at all.
While this does not bode well for us at all, I wouldn't completely put a Gen 8 rep out of the running entirely. If Geno fans still think their character has a shot despite also being a spirit, then there's no reason for us to give up hope now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wouldnt say this hinders us, everyone claiming that spirits deconfim characters are probably unfamiliar with sakurai and his disregard for fan rules. dead curious to see the spirit battles

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Even if these characters are deconfirmed, this does not mean that we are not getting a Sword/Shield Pokemon as DLC. It would be a bad business move to not include a Sword & Shield Pokemon as a DLC fighter.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Even if these characters are deconfirmed, this does not mean that we are not getting a Sword/Shield Pokemon as DLC. It would be a bad business move to not include a Sword & Shield Pokemon as a DLC fighter.
I agree

However, we don't know if Sakurai was already reached out too during the DLC timeline to insert another Pokemon. I do feel Rillaboom would be the best candidate

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I agree

However, we don't know if Sakurai was already reached out too during the DLC timeline to insert another Pokemon. I do feel Rillaboom would be the best candidate
There's still the other two starters, along with many other Pokemon. People are only gravitating towards Rillaboom because they think that the game needs a Grass-starter to be playable for some reason.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
There's still the other two starters, along with many other Pokemon. People are only gravitating towards Rillaboom because they think that the game needs a Grass-starter to be playable for some reason.
Well...if it completes the "final starters evolution" triangle, then yes. BUT I do believe that Rillaboom seems to be the most original of the trio. Scorbunny has soccer skills which a lot of characters used kicks so not as creative. Water type can be a mix of Sheik and Greninja.

But we really don't seem to have a MUSICAL type of fighter yet, so I think Rillaboom has a better chance. Or at least someone in the Grookey line

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well...if it completes the "final starters evolution" triangle, then yes. BUT I do believe that Rillaboom seems to be the most original of the trio. Scorbunny has soccer skills which a lot of characters used kicks so not as creative. Water type can be a mix of Sheik and Greninja.

But we really don't seem to have a MUSICAL type of fighter yet, so I think Rillaboom has a better chance. Or at least someone in the Grookey line
If you want a rhythm based character to fill a quota, campaign for a Rhythm Heaven rep.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If you want a rhythm based character to fill a quota, campaign for a Rhythm Heaven rep.
Problem is...Sakurai should've added these guys already.

Also, they don't have to choose a fully evolved starter.
Other than Gen 2 and 4, it's been pretty popular to pick a starter character of some sort. So I'll be surprised if another character gets in over a starter, but starter feels likely at this point.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Problem is...Sakurai should've added these guys already.

Other than Gen 2 and 4, it's been pretty popular to pick a starter character of some sort. So I'll be surprised if another character gets in over a starter, but starter feels likely at this point.
But still, they don't have to go for Rillaboom, that's just people sticking to patterns that can be broken.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
But still, they don't have to go for Rillaboom, that's just people sticking to patterns that can be broken.
Sakurai almost went for Decidueye, but shifted to Incineroar instead.

I'm not doing it because I want a grass starter. I'm aiming for Rillaboom because it's unique enough to get in over the other starters and having a musical moveset is something we've yet to see in Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Because in gens 2 and 4, Sakurai chose Pokemon already pushed by TPC. They didn't have one they were pushing for Gen 6 when Greninja was picked. In Gen 7, they were pushing Mimikyu and Lycanroc, but SSBU had limited newcomer resources so they had to pick one that fit an unused wrestler moveset.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
its one of the towns, ill spoiler it just in case
That looks epic honestly.

Also, as creator of the Rillaboom thread, they mainly chose it because he looks cool, people just want him, or something similar to that. The final starter grass evo thing was really, to quote another user, "icing on the cake." for them. I think it's mainly because Cinderace and Intellon are not very popular. Popularity wise, it goes to Rillaboom, Cinderace close behind, and then Intellon. At this rate though, I'd like any swsh rep.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's mainly because Cinderace and Intellon are not very popular.
Yeah, as much as I complain about the idea of Rillaboom being in Smash, that's all I really complain about regarding its design. It's alright compared to Cinderace feeling a bit too human (even Raboot in a way) and Inteleon suddenly being a spy when Drizzile continues on the sadness theme with its emo hair.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
All the new pokemon that I think would be cool in Smash (ranked):

1 - Cinderace (I most of the times like the fire starter and I think this one would have cool football based fighting style, besides it gives me Rival Schools feels)
2 - Rillaboom (I want to see this big boi smacking people around with that big a** drum)
3 - Sirfetch'd (swOrDfiGHtEr!!!)
4 - Toxtricity (Punk Rock)

These 3 are just a step bellow:

5 - Perrserker
6 - Mr. Rime
7 - Obstagoon

Last edited:
Top Bottom