• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8th gen Pokemon for another Fighters Pass thread!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If this is fake, they've done some good effort to make it look convincing.

If it's real, congrats to all those who assumed Grookey would be a caveman!

Also, Sobble upgraded from plain sadness to manly tears in this.

1240393095655.jpg

Although I won't think it's 100% real just yet, I suspect that the creators might sneak in a knight-type design somewhere.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So I'm thinking, if the datamined hints at a second and possibly third Fighter Passes are not just speculation, then a Gen 8 Pokemon is all but guaranteed

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I'm thinking, if the datamined hints at a second and possibly third Fighter Passes are not just speculation, then a Gen 8 Pokemon is all but guaranteed
That's the plan. Unless Sugimori sent out rough, unfinished scrawls of the Pokémon in question to Sakurai, it's too early for the chosen one to get in the FP. Later ones are fair game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If the 8th gen goes back to Kanto, then I'm all for an '8th gen rep.'

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well people we've a got a pokemon press conference on wednsday and a sword and shield direct the following wednsday, hopefully we'll get some new candidates

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
well people we've a got a pokemon press conference on wednsday and a sword and shield direct the following wednsday, hopefully we'll get some new candidates
I don't think that we'll get any Sword & Shield information in the press conference, but the direct, absolutely.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think that we'll get any Sword & Shield information in the press conference, but the direct, absolutely.
well you know general update for the pokefans, if we didnt get sword and shield info in the direct then something very peculiar is going on

toonito

Smash Ace
my thoughts on a gen 8 rep for Ultimate

pure speculation post

i'd be surprised if a Gen 8 rep got in Ultimate since so far we haven't had multiple new Pokemon debut in Smash since Brawl (:pt::lucario:), the precedent of Smash skipping generations with a playable Pokemon is there (Hoenn, Unova), and it seems that 2016 is the cutoff for playable characters with Incineroar playable yet Rex & Spring Man are not as their games debuted in 2017. So for Ultimate I'm leaning no. I could be wrong I'm just speculating here.

For Gen 8 reps in Smash it depends on when Smash 6 comes out

say it takes another four years for a new Smash to come out (SSB4 2014, SSBU 2018, SSB6 2022)

it takes about 3-4 years for a new Pokemon gen to debut (RB 96, GS 99, RS 02, DP 06, BW 10, XY 13, SM 16, SS 19)

If SSB6 comes out 2022 and Generation 9 comes out within 2022-2023 in line with past games then Gen 9 will get the nod as every Smash game has had a pokemon rep from the newest generation.

RB 96 (64, 1999)
GS 99 (Melee, 2001)
DP 06 (Brawl, 2008)
XY 13 (SSB4, 2014)
SM 16 (SSBU, 2018)

TLDR: not likely for Ultimate, possible for Smash 6, the longer it takes for Smash 6 to come out the less likely.

Again pure speculation

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
One thing for sure is, one final evo probably won't be called Baboom.

Also, this conveys how I feel right now waiting for that Direct, hoping to avoid leaks springing outta nowhere:

thus far all the leaks ive seen have been pretty parallel to fake leaks from last time around, i dont think you need to worry just yet

andree123

Smash Ace
The new Pokemon. Wooloo, Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Drednaw, Corviknight, Zacian, and Zamameta are all confirmed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think id be ok with any of them in smash

who ever we get i hope corviknight taxi is an on screen entrance even if its corviknight

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Assuming we get an 8th Gen Pokemon, are they any Pokemon shown so far are ones that could be considered fighter material to Sakurai?
Probably Zacian, because sword in mouth. Although I don't know how they would grab anything like this, lel.

But I suspect they'll go the easy way out and take a starter like last time and this time's base roster.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Assuming we get an 8th Gen Pokemon, are they any Pokemon shown so far are ones that could be considered fighter material to Sakurai?
well we still get characters like piranha plant so just about any of them could work, but then his last two choices have fitted in a little better

grizby2

Smash Lord
I just wanted to get my thoughts out since its been in my mind a lot today. (please correct me if im saying anything incorrect!)

I was watching papagenos papagenos videos recently, along with some other "leak update" videos from other youtubers, and I remember hearing someone making a leak saying that grookie's final evolution "Baboom" would be one of the characters in the fighters pass, described as an ape using a stick along with a drum to fight.

and then there was another leak (not mentioning smash) saying grookie's final evolution would be an ape with a stick and drum, BUT they didn't say what the name was.

don't know if it might have been the same leaker, but I find it rather interesting that they had the same description, yet one of them didn't mention "baboom" as its name. im waiting to see if this pokemon really IS named "baboom". if it is, then I wonder what kind of impact that would have around the speculation scene.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I just wanted to get my thoughts out since its been in my mind a lot today. (please correct me if im saying anything incorrect!)

I was watching papagenos papagenos videos recently, along with some other "leak update" videos from other youtubers, and I remember hearing someone making a leak saying that grookie's final evolution "Baboom" would be one of the characters in the fighters pass, described as an ape using a stick along with a drum to fight.

and then there was another leak (not mentioning smash) saying grookie's final evolution would be an ape with a stick and drum, BUT they didn't say what the name was.

don't know if it might have been the same leaker, but I find it rather interesting that they had the same description, yet one of them didn't mention "baboom" as its name. im waiting to see if this pokemon really IS named "baboom". if it is, then I wonder what kind of impact that would have around the speculation scene.
It's hard to say whether the posts are related or not as of this point. A lot of people have brought up the idea of a drummer of some kind for Grookey's final evo, so it's possible it may just have been a coincidence. Maybe the VR Plant is the only one with a true source and the other was a lucky guess, perhaps both have sources, etc, etc. We can't say for sure.

grizby2

Smash Lord
It's hard to say whether the posts are related or not as of this point. A lot of people have brought up the idea of a drummer of some kind for Grookey's final evo, so it's possible it may just have been a coincidence. Maybe the VR Plant is the only one with a true source and the other was a lucky guess, perhaps both have sources, etc, etc. We can't say for sure.
yeah, im staying skeptical on this one like most. :ohwell:
its not something I think Nintendo would do since the fighter pass characters are "ones that we won't see coming" according to reggie. But this "baboom" is something we haven't even seen evidence or proof of yet, so I guess its technically something we cant exactly see coming so-to-speak? idk. also I think that smash leak mentioning "baboom" also had banjo in their DLC list for smash characters IIRC. it'd be fascinating to say the least. in any case, I wouldn't mind finally having a full evo grass starter in smash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the thing about the rumours of grookey's final form being in smash feel just feel like people thinking we ought to have a grass starter to round it out even though thats not how it works in smash

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, after the first few Pokémon inclusions, it's either fire starter or water starter generally speaking. It doesn't help in this case that Scorbunny and Sobble appeal far more to people than Grookey.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I had a poll about any of those recently announced Pokemon to be a fighter and most go on this creature.
its part of a taxi service i dont think theyre that bothered about the natural order

Last edited by a moderator:

andree123

Smash Ace
Game freak confirmed that future mainline Pokemon games (and even Sword and Shield) will not have a national dex and that is pretty sad, but at least we might be getting a spiritual successor to Pokemon Stadium/Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Switch. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know people are upset by the whole dex thing but im more annoyed by the whole galar is "uk" thing

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Absolutely against this right now. Not one Gen 8 Pokemon looks worthwhile, and SwSh doesn't deserve anything

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wow. I understand if you don't like the Gen 8 Pokémon so far, but that's just hateful.
I mean, think that as you may, but I don't see how. The game has showed like 9 Pokemon total, none with particularly fantastic designs so far, I guess maybe Corviknight, but imo it's too underwhelming for Smash still.

It's a game that hasn't released yet, and there's other Pokemon with established fanbases from unrepresented Gens also. I don't see why Gen 8 should get anything solely for existing, all the while disappointing the majority of it's fans with current reveals thus far. Be offended if you please, but what's so special about anything from it yet?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, think that as you may, but I don't see how. The game has showed like 9 Pokemon total, none with particularly fantastic designs so far, I guess maybe Corviknight, but imo it's too underwhelming for Smash still.

It's a game that hasn't released yet, and there's other Pokemon with established fanbases from unrepresented Gens also. I don't see why Gen 8 should get anything solely for existing, all the while disappointing the majority of it's fans with current reveals thus far. Be offended if you please, but what's so special about anything from it yet?
well youre ruling out a whole game thats not even out yet and in my experience most fans love the new pokemon (certainly wooloo) and what theyre disappointing with is the decision regarding the national dex

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Looking at Twitter, I think people are more concerned about the graphics looking barely higher than 3DS tier than anything else. GF are seriously burning themselves out when they have to put out a mainline Pokémon entry every 1-2 years.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
User was warned for this post; trolling
well youre ruling out a whole game thats not even out yet and in my experience most fans love the new pokemon (certainly wooloo) and what theyre disappointing with is the decision regarding the national dex
You really think Wooloo belongs in Smash tho? Nah, you're just deflecting that I'm right, and there's no worthwhile choices right now.

Talk about misleading user names.
Talk about a lazy joke. Bet you were proud of it though, like the 30 other people that resorted to it when I disagree with their opinions.

Have fun supporting Wooloo in Smash, and regretting it later like y'all who support characters from Gens instead of specific characters always seem to do.

Top Bottom