• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
instead of spotdodging, I end up shielding too long because I still have a desire to wavedash out of shield to bait and punish approaches.

For the most part I've learned not to sit in shield too long but its more of a trained thought so when I turn my brain off, I go right back to sitting in shield.

I love Melee/PM too much guys ;_;

Still, I just don't get it. Cloud actually has a projectile move, while Marth does not, and they don't exactly share their attack sweetspot locations either.
Like I said, the similiarities arent superficial. So stuff like marth's tipper system and cloud having a projectile fall under superficial because its just face value differences.

You have to understand the competitive meta of Melee Marth and Cloud at least at mid tier player level.

Any less than that and you cant try the line between the dots.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Late to this chat (and possibly not relevant) but, mfw people play a character for their competitive aspect:

I know it's not the only reason most of you play Cloud, but if it's the MAIN reason, like, it's higher on the priority list than "I play this character because I like them", then you're playing Smash for the wrong reasons. Just sayin'.

Plus, I have to agree with M&S on this, I barely see the similarites between Cloud and Melee Marth. They're there, but Melee Marth did not come to mind when I was playing Cloud, and it still hasn't.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Plus, I have to agree with M&S on this, I barely see the similarites between Cloud and Melee Marth. They're there, but Melee Marth did not come to mind when I was playing Cloud, and it still hasn't.
I have to agree as well, Melee Marth has more attack range than Cloud, and moves are different.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Never played Melee Marth so I wouldn't know. Or Brawl Marth for that matter.

What do you do when you encounter a bad Cloud player in FG? You know, the ones that run right in with DA and fsmash too much? I feel personally offended when I meet these lol.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I dont know how you guys cant tell the similarities been Melee Marth and Cloud lol.

Also I've said on 2 seperate occasions that comparing their moveset is only a superficial comparison.

I even listed reasons on how they feel similar lol.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I dont know how you guys cant tell the similarities been Melee Marth and Cloud lol.

Also I've said on 2 seperate occasions that comparing their moveset is only a superficial comparison.

Never said anything about them being similar moveset-wise.

As for them "feeling" similar, sorry man, I'm not really feeling it.:4shulk: They just don't to me.

If they do feel similar to you, that's fine, I'm not going to sway you otherwise.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Is it all right if I dump a bunch of Cloud pictures here in the near future? Just had some cool screenshots I wanted to put here, is that ok? Who knows, you guys might find some new avis in there!

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Is it all right if I dump a bunch of Cloud pictures here in the near future? Just had some cool screenshots I wanted to put here, is that ok? Who knows, you guys might find some new avis in there!
I don't see why you can't. Just put them under a spoiler tag if there's more than at least 3, that way we can save space and not have to scroll down an unnecessarily long page.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Never said anything about them being similar moveset-wise.

As for them "feeling" similar, sorry man, I'm not really feeling it.:4shulk: They just don't to me.

If they do feel similar to you, that's fine, I'm not going to sway you otherwise.
Much like you, I just don't see how Marth and Cloud are similar. Their movesets are completely different after all.

And of course, the way I've used Cloud is different from how I've used Marth and Lucina.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, screw melee Marth.
Cloud is an easier version of Brawl Marth; with nearly 1:1 game play style and decision making processes. What comes from dissimilar moves usually is made up by the similarities of their high-level options they both have in many many situations.

Obviously Brawl Marth didn't charge limit (but he still optimized around passivity), have a projectile (which is apart of his passivity and is not like other character's projectiles, lol).
Marth covered/poked space with down tilt, while Cloud uses his insane dash to shield.
You wouldn't get how they're essentially achieving the same thing and forcing the opponent to play around them in the same way unless you understand higher level concepts.

What they do after successful use of dtilt or dash to shield to apply pressure or throw off the opponent is observably more congruent. How the opponent challenges and beats them will generally be exactly the same as well.
But on success, suddenly arcing swords, arcing swords EVERYWHERE - in all the places you don't want them to be. Or whoops, never mind *grab*; gotchaaaaaa.

And while Marth had to rely on forward air, nair and sometimes up air, Cloud can achieve similar things just with his neutral air (yes: this is why the character is easier, you can achieve everything Marth can in 3 moves in just 1, bar raw killing)
Yes the 'attack' button press is different, but almost everything else from what I'm thinking to what the opponent's thinking and what's going to happen next is all the same ****.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, to clarify, Marth's fair in that game did everything so it's almost like Cloud's nair now :p
But asides from the absurd single well known kill move (melee tipper fsmash / limit cross slash), Cloud's packing a lot more punch on average and doesn't hyperfocus on grabs for a lot of his viability.

But my point was more that Brawl Marth is closer.
Albeit the "easier" and "stronger" parts of Cloud probably take steps towards MeleeMarf, I guess~

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I asked this one guy at tournament "Where's the win button?" His reply was, "It's on the GameCube controller."

y u do dis
cricricri

Prevaricator Faust

Smash Cadet
I asked this one guy at tournament "Where's the win button?" His reply was, "It's on the GameCube controller."

y u do dis
cricricri
Should of responded with "I thought that was the detonator for those who choose to SD" or something along those lines. . .

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Or "but you can't do bidou on the GC controller, and bidou is obviously a free win, so yeah..." :troll:

I mean, you can't do it on 3ds either...

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
PC Adaptor came in this morning

Time to download Melee oohhhhh boi havent played this ever since I was 10-12 years old where I was still innocent and had yet to see the brutality of competitive Melee

Edit: Holy **** is the input timings for movement and attacks different. Not being able to customize controller configs is also a problem.

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845

Time to download Melee oohhhhh boi havent played this ever since I was 10-12 years old where I was still innocent and had yet to see the brutality of competitive Melee

Edit: Holy **** is the input timings for movement and attacks different. Not being able to customize controller configs is also a problem.
Yeah the one time I played Melee I saw there was no option for config and I put the controller down lel

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
So I got Dash Dancing and Wave Dashing down

Gotta learn to L Cancel

Then the hard part is combining everything together smoothly

And I haven't even gotten to the Ken Combo yet lol

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I actually still L-Cancel in Smash 4.

Like there are times I'm playing and I realize I'm pressing L when I land with aerials.

Which is funny to me.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I am so used to L-Canceling in Melee. I also sometimes press L whenever i use an aerial in Smash 4.

Meleetitis is a thing.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Download Melee? How to?
Well, I still have my old Melee copy, but it takes time for it to work, and in some cases it might crash.
Or "but you can't do bidou on the GC controller, and bidou is obviously a free win, so yeah..." :troll:

I mean, you can't do it on 3ds either...
Yeah, but some competitive wannabes will brag: "Only losers will use 3ds" which sometimes is not really the cases. I do saw very good players who actually use 3ds as controller.
I consider that bidou as a "make your life easier" control trick. Not a "If you don't learn this you won't be good" control trick.
The bidou discovery might be shake the stereotype of where GC controller is the best Smash controller in competitive play, if someone do use this to win tons of tournaments.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You'd be hard pressed to find people willing to commit to Bidou period.

Let alone for Cloud who is prob one of the least technically demanding characters outside of Limit Cancels. While PP and other Bidou tech help Cloud out for sure, his fox trot length, speed, and general moveset are already so naturally good that the effort:reward ratio for learning bidou is more unfavorable than other characters.

L cancelled nair
:happysheep:

INTO AN L CANCELLED NAIR.

INTO AN L CANCELLED NAIR.

INTO AN UP AIR THAT YOU AUTO CANCEL

INTO FINISHING TOUCH

EVERY TIME
:disco:
That would be way more fun than it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
going in for bidou cloud
made a thread
lonely lol
Using Bidou with Cloud is like a spear with no spearhead: There's no point.

Like Neko said, Cloud, with all of his tools, frame data, disjoints, etc; is really good in competitive on his own merits. It also helps that he's easy to pick up and use. Bidou has been pretty much confirmed to only marginally improve Cloud.

So why put in that much work for little payoff?

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Can we not make me rant about how pointless Bidou is for Cloud again? The tech is only good for characters like :4falcon: :4littlemac: :4fox: :4sheik: who really need the perfect pivots and dash innovations to open up new stuff for their meta

Even then, like ZeRo said, how can you tell top players to drop their natural muscle memory and relearn Smash controls all over again and then try to use it in tournament? The only ones who have that luxury are those who aren't already top players

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
S'up, people!

Haven't been posting here much lately mostly due to how busy I've been lately with work, finishing up on some games and ****.

DJJD

Smash Rookie

I mean you can even side B to air stall like melee Marth and also how how his fair and bair look almost identical.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Crossing my fingers and hoping I managed to nab the FFXV CE in time.

I'm mainly getting it for the wife as she's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge FF nut (moreso than I am).

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom