• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Yeah I guess. But opponents seem to be able to escape it a lot. One hit I actually go hit out of it by Mewtwo's fair after the second hit.
Yeah. One thing I love to do with the Cross Slash is a pivot Cross-Slash. Usually I can catch approaches with it, especially grab approaches, and it keeps them in place where they don't fall out. You have to have a certain amount of spacing to consistently pull it off, though it's not extremely strict. I wouldn't advise using it at very high percents though.

You can also use the first two hits and forego the final three hits and try and get a grab off of it. Or restart the combo for extra damage or shield damage, which could potentially link into shield breaks.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I'm baffled with Cloud's recovery up B. During FG games, he misses the edge because he does an Ike and slams back down after the peak of his up b. I can't recreate this in training, what the heck is happening?
You are pressing b immediately after you use up-b, which causes Cloud to come back down. The reason he doesn't grab the ledge and SDs himself when he comes back down is because he lacks an auto snap and doesn't grab the ledge if you come back down just above the ledge. Oddly, he does grab if he comes back down if he is considerably higher than the ledge, although this isn't a guarantee.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I think Cloud's most notable trait might be how anti-camp he is. If you camp him, he gets to charge limit for free, and that's quite scary.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
If anyone wants some MU experience against a decent Link, I'll likely be able to play tomorrow if any of you are interested. I'll let you guys know whenever I'm up for a few games. I'm just really curious about the MU on Link's end. I'm also wondering how it is on Cloud's end, but I haven't really gotten around to getting money onto my Eshop account yet, lol. I'd assume Link has the advantage though since Link has both a potent offstage game and ledge guarding game as well as likely being able to out-space Cloud and not have to approach much. That's just theory crafting though. We'll know how things are for sure relatively soon.

But then of course there are much more important MUs to think about, like Zero Suit and Shiek, but oh well.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
If anyone wants some MU experience against a decent Link, I'll likely be able to play tomorrow if any of you are interested. I'll let you guys know whenever I'm up for a few games. I'm just really curious about the MU on Link's end. I'm also wondering how it is on Cloud's end, but I haven't really gotten around to getting money onto my Eshop account yet, lol. I'd assume Link has the advantage though since Link has both a potent offstage game and ledge guarding game as well as likely being able to out-space Cloud and not have to approach much. That's just theory crafting though. We'll know how things are for sure relatively soon.

But then of course there are much more important MUs to think about, like Zero Suit and Shiek, but oh well.
I honestly believe Link gives Cloud a larger challenge than Sheik or ZSS.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I honestly believe Link gives Cloud a larger challenge than Sheik or ZSS.
Yeah, and I feel like him having decent projectiles and a Zair is why, since if you try to charge Limit when Link is camping you, he can harass you with Zair, and his bombs invalidate both versions of BB since they have HP, so outside of being an edge guarding tool it's pretty useless in this MU. So I feel like Cloud is always forced to approach. Link also has a powerful off stage and edge guarding game so there's another thing to look out for.

Cloud more than likely beats Link in close quarters though, so that might be the key to this MU. Link's CQC game is pretty lacking. Link is also more vulnerable to being juggled by Cloud, especially since no one can challenge Cloud's Uair and Link generally struggles landing when the opposing character has moves that are faster and beat out his aerials (especially Dair and Nair). Just watch out for bombs.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Was playing a really good Palutena today. The person using them was super defensive and I had a tough time finding openings. How does everybody get things to hit? What moves do you go for when it comes to baits?

Also kind of feel slow not realizing that Cloud's fair is essentially Braver. I mean I thought is was the down portion of Up-B, but the animation didn't look the same to me. If you do the fair and hit the ground while the move is out, he lands in the same he does with Braver in the game.

Either way, having a lot of fun playing this character so far. The only swordsman who I have clicked with. Not sure whether that's biased, since I love FF7, but I'm not going to argue with it.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Was playing a really good Palutena today. The person using them was super defensive and I had a tough time finding openings. How does everybody get things to hit? What moves do you go for when it comes to baits?

Also kind of feel slow not realizing that Cloud's fair is essentially Braver. I mean I thought is was the down portion of Up-B, but the animation didn't look the same to me. If you do the fair and hit the ground while the move is out, he lands in the same he does with Braver in the game.

Either way, having a lot of fun playing this character so far. The only swordsman who I have clicked with. Not sure whether that's biased, since I love FF7, but I'm not going to argue with it.
I'm pretty much the complete opposite. The only sword character I haven't been able to get the hang of is Marth. I completely suck with him (in this game, anyway). Meanwhile the only non-sword character I'm comfortable with is Falcon. There's something about those disjointed hitboxes I just love so much. It's probably because I've always mained Link, but I digress.

Sorry I can't help you with your question though, since I'm neither able to buy Cloud or play atm.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Found this gif, it's kind of dark

Heh, likewise. I still see you're sporting Pikachewy's drawing of you as your avatar, as always.
Yeah, at least over the Christmas period. I might put him into my sig after though

ps: I find Charizard very fun to play

Yeah. One thing I love to do with the Cross Slash is a pivot Cross-Slash. Usually I can catch approaches with it, especially grab approaches, and it keeps them in place where they don't fall out. You have to have a certain amount of spacing to consistently pull it off, though it's not extremely strict. I wouldn't advise using it at very high percents though.

You can also use the first two hits and forego the final three hits and try and get a grab off of it. Or restart the combo for extra damage or shield damage, which could potentially link into shield breaks.
Wouldn't the opponent be able to escape or punish me if I just use the first 2 hits of Cross Slash before I could start the move again?

Also, i'll try to keep that pivot Cross Slash in mind.

:135:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Wouldn't the opponent be able to escape or punish me if I just use the first 2 hits of Cross Slash before I could start the move again?

Also, i'll try to keep that pivot Cross Slash in mind.

The drop usually occurs between the second and third hit and within the final three hits. The first two hits are much more stable

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So how's Cloud do against the high/top tiers? Any match ups among them he's particularly good/bad at?
Cloud will have a hard time against a lot of top tiers...

Top Tiers generally have a good off-stage game and characters like Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, and Mario can easily gimp Cloud when he's off-stage...Cloud is also fairly heavy which makes him combo food for these characters...However Cloud has some deceptive range and can rack up damage against these characters in a very similar fashion with his own combos...well-spaced nairs and dtilts would be great against these characters, in addition to Cloud racking up his out utilt and uair strings against these characters...his range can make it somehwat difficult for combo breakers (such as ZSS's jabs, and Mario's nair) to work as they may just clank or get out prioritized...his uncharged blade beam denies most other projectiles in the game, cept for Sheik's needles (of course)

Pretty much any character considered top tier will be an unfavourable match-up for Cloud though...any character that can utilize projectiles effectively I would think would do well against Cloud since it makes it easier to deal with his range to get in close...he has options but his frame data and lack of a good horizontal recovery without LB will result in a not so good time most of the time...I can see Cloud doing decently well overall though...At best he's a Top 20 character, at worst he's Top 30-35...mid-high tier, similarly to Link and Ike actually...He is not a bad character that's for sure...

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Found this gif, it's kind of dark

This is going in my sig.
Cloud will have a hard time against a lot of top tiers...

Top Tiers generally have a good off-stage game and characters like Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, and Mario can easily gimp Cloud when he's off-stage...Cloud is also fairly heavy which makes him combo food for these characters...However Cloud has some deceptive range and can rack up damage against these characters in a very similar fashion with his own combos...well-spaced nairs and dtilts would be great against these characters, in addition to Cloud racking up his out utilt and uair strings against these characters...his range can make it somehwat difficult for combo breakers (such as ZSS's jabs, and Mario's nair) to work as they may just clank or get out prioritized...his uncharged blade beam denies most other projectiles in the game, cept for Sheik's needles (of course)

Pretty much any character considered top tier will be an unfavourable match-up for Cloud though...any character that can utilize projectiles effectively I would think would do well against Cloud since it makes it easier to deal with his range to get in close...he has options but his frame data and lack of a good horizontal recovery without LB will result in a not so good time most of the time...I can see Cloud doing decently well overall though...At best he's a Top 20 character, at worst he's Top 30-35...mid-high tier, similarly to Link and Ike actually...He is not a bad character that's for sure...
Doesn't Cloud fare better against Sheik than most of the other characters on stage, given his good spacing game and that his dtilt can dodge quite a few of her attacks and lead up to a few of your own to name a few reasons?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I haven't faced :4link: as :4cloud: yet, but I have done the other way around, and I have yet to fail to 2-stock my opponent.
And heck, I'm nowhere near being a :4link:main, I don't even care about the character. But I agree that Link seems to be a pretty good counter for :4cloud:.

But I'd really love to challenge a Link player sometime so that I can experience the MU from :4cloud:'s point of view.

In other news, I believe we can shut down :4yoshi: pretty easily. But I need more experience in this battle.
BTW, is it me, or Cloud can live REALLY long? If my opponent isn't good at edgeguarding or gimping, most of my battles get me up to 250% or more before they get a stock of me.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Yeah I guess. But opponents seem to be able to escape it a lot. One hit I actually go hit out of it by Mewtwo's fair after the second hit.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Cloud has at least 1 unwinable match up.
:4link:

Nice to see a familiar face

But you and I both know Link's very outstanding weaknesses... Cloud has greatly superior frame data. Yes, he'll be a bother at first when he's walling cloud out but he gets juggled way more than he can juggle, especially against Cloud. He has a horrible time escaping a bad situation and can get rushed down pretty easy due to his very low speed. Link doesn't do well when rushed down. Hitting on shield will likely devastate Link in this MU as well.

Not to mention one of Link's normal advantage of range with his sword is completely irrelevant to Cloud. Cloud will easily win CQC. Link can wall him out for some time but after he's in its over. Link's high weight is irrelevant as well against Cloud's strength. I've gotten pretty early kills against even DK and Bowser.

However, links got incredible off stage gimping tools so there's that. I DO see ROB and Toon Link being a problem though, as ROB's wall is absolutely tough to break and Tink can get around the arena so easily (and therefore does what Link does but better).

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Kevandre Kevandre please do a Cloud art! It would be awesome if you could do an action shot or two of him using his Finishing Touch Limit Break or the Cross Slash with the kanji
I'm gonna. I need to get my internet back first, I haven't been able to upload any screenshots for like a month.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Doesn't Cloud fare better against Sheik than most of the other characters on stage, given his good spacing game and that his dtilt can dodge quite a few of her attacks and lead up to a few of your own to name a few reasons?
He may do better against her than most other characters...Everytime I faced a Sheik with Cloud, so far, I have won the match (but even when using Link I can hold my own against a good Sheik) like I said Cloud is still highly vulnerable to Sheik off-stage which is where 90% of Sheik's get their kills...and her ftilt and fair strings can still do work on Cloud...it is still generally an unfavourable matchup...but then again every character has an unfavourable matchup against her...

D

Deleted member

Alpharad made a "How to Play" video on Cloud.

Also, one character that got me two days ago was Ness. I was wondering, how do you think Cloud does against him? I honestly think it might be a losing matchup...

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
BTW, is it me, or Cloud can live REALLY long? If my opponent isn't good at edgeguarding or gimping, most of my battles get me up to 250% or more before they get a stock of me.
Yeah, there have been some matches where I'm able to live up to 220% playing safely. I once took 6 stocks with just one, living up to like 230%

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
How does charging Cloud's limit break work outside of using down b? I feel like loads itself eventually. Is this done my time passed or damage taken or given? Also one fully charge, can I hold the limit break as long as I want?

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
How does charging Cloud's limit break work outside of using down b? I feel like loads itself eventually. Is this done my time passed or damage taken or given? Also one fully charge, can I hold the limit break as long as I want?
Cloud's Limit Break also charges by both giving damage and receiving damage (think Little Mac's KO punch). After your Limit Break is fully charge, you keep it until you use one of your specials or are KO'd.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
After playing as Cloud in my previous For Glory session last night, I must say I'm considering dropping Roy and replace him with Cloud as one of my mains...at least until Corrin comes out. :awesome:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Welp, it's official. I've made up my mind. Making Cloud my main.

D3 had a good run. I'll still use him in a pinch, of course, but he's now a beloved secondary.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think I'm gonna have Cloud as a main too. And I'll have to demote Robin to secondary since he's the weakest of my mains.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I envy people who only have 1 main. :(
These are the guys I'm juggling for the competitive scene: :4megaman::4littlemac::4sonic:
But now I also like :4cloud:
I know having 3 characters is stretching it a great deal to begin with, let alone 4. But I love all 4 of these.
Cloud could easily replace Little Mac since I find their concepts to be similar (and I live a lot longer as Cloud). But I don't know... Mac has his awesome style as well.

Yeah, there have been some matches where I'm able to live up to 220% playing safely. I once took 6 stocks with just one, living up to like 230%
Yeah, definitely, he's kind of heavy isn't he? I like to go against 2 CPUS a lot, and most times, I survive with my 2 stocks intact (but around 260%)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

The end of that second match had me in tears. Even the guy I was fighting felt like that was stupid. :V Dem Cross Slashes man.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
You know what? I was thinking Bayo's hands down gonna be my tertiary main, but I downloaded Cloud and had a lot of fun with him! Plus he's a character that I know from childhood, so it makes it easier if I'm gonna main him along Sonic and Kirby. Also, I just watched Advent Children and now I feel like I'll have no choice but to use the Cloudy Wolf costume from now on.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Also, one character that got me two days ago was Ness. I was wondering, how do you think Cloud does against him? I honestly think it might be a losing matchup...
I fought a Ness once as Cloud online, he's pretty capable of trying to gimp us with PK Fires off stage >_>

But yeah, I've been using Cloud non-stop since release, and he's already racking up the KO count in comparison to the others.
At this rate, I might just prioritize him over Shulk!

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Yes... Let the Mako flow through you!
But seriously, after watching The Force Awakens last night, I hope Square does a better job with FFVIIR...
Hopefully the game isn't too bad. I only played the original up to the first boss. I couldn't go further because of a lack of a memory card and I didn't want to leave my PS2 on. This remake will give me another opportunity to play FF7.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I'm going to test out different Cloud match-ups since I have no work. if anyone would like to help further my research, add me.

And BTW, this isn't death battle. :4cloud: is probably the 4th best swordfighter in the game. Link is the worst swordfighter in the game. Cloud has more options then :4link:, and as soon as Link is in a trouble, he's dead.

Not to step on any :4link: mains toes.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm going to test out different Cloud match-ups since I have no work. if anyone would like to help further my research, add me.

And BTW, this isn't death battle. :4cloud: is probably the 4th best swordfighter in the game. Link is the worst swordfighter in the game. Cloud has more options then :4link:, and as soon as Link is in a trouble, he's dead.

Not to step on any :4link: mains toes.
Don't want to sound defensive but this isn't Brawl...
Link has favourable matchups against all the Fire Emblem cast, cept maybe Roy...
Some say Tink is better (I personally disagree but at the same time Tink does have slightly better frame data overall, but not nearly asuch kill power) and Cloud's matchup I actually find more or less even at this point...still need to learn more of this matchup from both sides actually...
Link is one of Ike's worst matchups bar none...while Marcina are considered by some to be amoung the worst characters in the game period...

Do not sleep on Link...

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Don't want to sound defensive but this isn't Brawl...
Link has favourable matchups against all the Fire Emblem cast, cept maybe Roy...
Some say Tink is better (I personally disagree but at the same time Tink does have slightly better frame data overall, but not nearly asuch kill power) and Cloud's matchup I actually find more or less even at this point...still need to learn more of this matchup from both sides actually...
Link is one of Ike's worst matchups bar none...while Marcina are considered by some to be amoung the worst characters in the game period...

Do not sleep on Link...
I'm not trying to bash :4link:, I'm just saying if you compare :4link:vs. :4cloud:, Cloud just has the better advantage.

The reason why I say :4link: is the worst swordfighter is because he has poor option management. I've seen some pretty impressive :4link: on For Glory.

:4myfriends: has some good combos, better options and more kill power then :4link:. (doesn't mean he's good though)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Kevandre Kevandre please do a Cloud art! It would be awesome if you could do an action shot or two of him using his Finishing Touch Limit Break or the Cross Slash with the kanji
Here's one. I'll do more later.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering about why his right hand looks so wonky... That's literally what his hand does in this position

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I'm not trying to bash :4link:, I'm just saying if you compare :4link:vs. :4cloud:, Cloud just has the better advantage.

The reason why I say :4link: is the worst swordfighter is because he has poor option management. I've seen some pretty impressive :4link: on For Glory.

:4myfriends: has some good combos, better options and more kill power then :4link:. (doesn't mean he's good though)
Link's sword game is mediocre at best. He just suffers too much from overly-sluggish attacks that either can't hit on time or take too long to recover from... or a combination of both is usually the issue.

To add to that issue up there with the whole recovery not ledge snapping when using Braver. I found that if you Climhazzard when Cloud is at LEAST leveled with the ledge, Braver will ALWAYS ledge snap. I actually encourage people to do this more because not only does it mix up your recovery and allows a safer ledge snap, but anybody caught in it can get spiked for a KO. Climhazzard seems to suck them in to allow Braver to connect so when they're standing at the ledge, you actually hit them with the tip of Climhazzard, suck them up into the air and Braver them down before they even have time to blink. I've done it very often actually.

I've said this already though lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom