• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Dr. Shades

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5069-4356-8577
Ah, yes, glad I'm not the only one who's had some trouble with Kirby. Like I said before, it's not unwinnable, but a problem child match up nonetheless. Cloud has to control the stage and spacing in this match or else it's off stage he goes and Kirby destroys him off stage, not to mention the little pink ball of pain edge guards Cloud really well.
I agree. Combo characters like Kirby, Shiek, ZSS, and MK are some of Cloud's toughest match ups. Most of these characters can gimp very effectively and good players will take advantage of his lag on smash attacks and specials. Spacing with neutral B is key as well as a good air game. Don't get bait/punished and don't let them scare you.

Trust me, we fear you guys too.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
If we get another FF rep I'd say it'd probably be Noctis since FF15 will probably be the most recent FF by then and SE will want to advertise it.
Noctis would be very unique actually. I could see his ability to warp being implemented really well. Like for his Up-B it could be him throwing his sword in any direction and then instantly warp to it when it gets to a certain distance or if it hits a wall he can hang on it. His jab could be a couple slashes with his sword, and then a finisher with his greatsword. Forward smash could be him swinging his greatsword. Forward Tilt could be his spear for a good spacing move. N-air could be a quick spin shooting his gun.

Honestly, Noctis would be such a kick-ass character now that I think about it.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
*Logs the above match vid VS Dandy's DH as a future match vid reference for a future big Cloud VS DH MU post*

*Also looks forward to using DJHannibalRoyce's DH's sprites with the Heartless outfit, and the song "Limit Break!" from the FF13-2 OST during that post*
Song in question:
I wonder if the line "FALL UNTIL WE DIIIIIIIE~! >8O"-- er, "VOL LA TILLI TYYYYYYE~! >8O" has accompanied a Cloudcide in a highlight reel yet... X3
'Cus the earlier line is what I'd totally hammily shout out in my mind if I were to pull off a Cloudcide in a real match. X3;
Also, I WISH that fight song made it into Sm4sh, despite it being from 13-2, since it's one of my most favorite fight songs from the 13 series, due to how hardcore & manly it is, on top of it being 6 & a half minutes long (lasting for the entirety of an actual tournament match like a bunch of fight songs from Umineko no Naku Koro ni would? Yes, please!).

Anyways, I suppose I could share a working draft of that upcoming post right here & now, if anyone wants to see it. Here's a little snippet from it for now, written from the DH player's perspective, as a sample size:

{Snippet}
(So you're saying that I should expect him to be able to get in on me with DTilt, his disjointed Buster Sword, and Neutral B as a whole, thus requiring that I get ready for the upclose slugfest? Sounds like the Bowser Jr MU to me, minus the DTilt approach, plus the Mecha, and replace "Buster Sword" with "Prince of Juggles".)

Exactly. Don't forget his overall movement speed getting boosted to FE!Roy levels with a fully charged Limit Break bar, as well as said bar giving you a reason to approach him, since he can manually charge it with Down B like a CVS2 S-Groove / KOF '98 Extra Mode / Full Moon Melty Blood character, IF you decide to lame him out. He can afford to hold out until LB!Blade Beam is on deck, since its range extends beyond your Default Gunmen (Not so much Megas, since its horizontal hurtbox is farther away from you than Default is, making LB!Neutral B's hitboxes occur farther away from you as well), should it collide with Default Gunmen, meaning that if you're not blocking when LB!Neutral B collides with default Gunmen right AFTER you've pressed Down B, you're going to get hit, and at high enough percents, that will be your stock. LB!Blade Beam fully activates upon colliding with default Cans and default Clays as well, so do NOT move towards either the Can OR Clay, or the active LB!Blade Beam will catch you. BTW, neither version of Blade Beam will pierce ANY part of your arsenal, as Izaw's Cloud Guide proves, so if possible, Mega Gunmen would be a strong candidate to bring for this MU, since it can also tank the entirety of 1 LB!Blade Beam and still remain standing, provided that nothing else has hit it beforehand.
{/Snippet}

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/73017398/839638290
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/73017398/839639658

Here's an interesting read for you all. Apparently, both Bayonetta and Cloud were the ballot winners.
The series with the highest amount of votes was Final Fantasy and Cloud was the most popular choice, which is why his symbol is "FF" rather than the meteor from FF7. There was also a glitch with the shield stun and Cloud's Cross Slash, which was why the changes in shield stun took place.

I'm honestly glad this happened. Cloud is not only one of the most fun characters I've played, but he fits so naturally to me. His play style is that of a character that I never knew I wanted.
It's funny to think that I used to hate the Ballot.

Because if this is true, then I have this to thank entirely for giving me one of my favorite characters to play as in SSB4, and for finally giving the Final Fantasy series its long-deserved representation in Smash. I would have wanted Black Mage as the FF rep, seeing as that I once maintained the support thread for him, but after playing as Cloud, I'm glad that we managed to get someone from this series into the roster through popularity power.

Many thanks to whoever voted for a Final Fantasy character in the Smash Ballot!!

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I'm going to make a Cloud damage input for all of his moves thread later this week.

Let me know if I miss anything.

D

Deleted member

I didn't mention this yesterday, but I think Villager is a bad matchup for Cloud.
Villager is very tricky to approach with Cloud. Lloid Rocket is actually pretty damn effective against us and it's hard to approach with Cloud's aerials. What I think kills the MU for us is Cloud's recovery... Villager has no problem gimping us with his slingshot aerials. I think I died at pretty early percents from it.
Villager and Kirby are my least favorite MUs with Cloud so far. Kirby is at least manageable for Luigi, but I can't say the exact same against Villager...

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
Villager is very tricky to approach with Cloud. Lloid Rocket is actually pretty damn effective against us and it's hard to approach with Cloud's aerials. What I think kills the MU for us is Cloud's recovery... Villager has no problem gimping us with his slingshot aerials. I think I died at pretty early percents from it.
Villager and Kirby are my least favorite MUs with Cloud so far. Kirby is at least manageable for Luigi, but I can't say the exact same against Villager..
To add to your post, Villager also edge guards Cloud pretty well, too. If Cloud tries to recover low, he runs the risk of eating a bowling ball and that thing takes a very early stock. His Nair works as a great tool to cover Cloud's get up options, so returning to the stage is a struggle. I've found success when I kept to the middle of the stage and avoided ledge shenanigans.

Villager makes life hell for anyone from a distance. I am going to test this, but I think dash attack destroys Llyod Rocket without incurring damage, so it may be good to use that and mix it up with aerial approaches. Either way, once Cloud gets into close quarters, he has the advantage, but it's getting there that is a struggle.

Last edited:

Rukia

Enamored

I think I just about died at, "I'll show you what a buster feels like."

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I didn't mention this yesterday, but I think Villager is a bad matchup for Cloud.
Villager and Kirby are my least favorite MUs with Cloud so far. Kirby is at least manageable for Luigi, but I can't say the exact same against Villager...
You could probably fair/uair/DA (if it's fresh) through lliod, but that slows you down, and the rest I definitely agree with

Last edited:

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
@XenoBrawler610: So, I faced a good Villager today and won. It was definitely an up hill battle, but stage control was a big component to my victory. Try to fight Villager in the middle of the stage and avoid any ledge battles because you will lose. Basically, give him/herthe ledge because they'll just do slingshot and Lloyd Rocket shenanigans all day if you try to edge guard. It makes for a painfully long match, but by limiting Cloud's off stage time, it widens the window for victory.

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I've seen quite a few combo video's on Cloud already, kinda tricky to get a few of them off. Especially the up air fast fall combo's.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Don't mind if I slide into this thread.....
Welcome to the Cloud Social thread!

So i have not posted here for some time. How is everyone and how is Cloud for everyone?

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So, uh, how do you guys think Cloud does against the Pit's? I would thikn that Cloud bets them with his range, but everything else, Pit can easily match or out match.

This is going in my sig.

Doesn't Cloud fare better against Sheik than most of the other characters on stage, given his good spacing game and that his dtilt can dodge quite a few of her attacks and lead up to a few of your own to name a few reasons?
Brilliant.
Yes... Let the Mako flow through you!
But seriously, after watching The Force Awakens last night, I hope Square does a better job with FFVIIR...
I'm glad you guys like it.

But you and I both know Link's very outstanding weaknesses... Cloud has greatly superior frame data. Yes, he'll be a bother at first when he's walling cloud out but he gets juggled way more than he can juggle, especially against Cloud. He has a horrible time escaping a bad situation and can get rushed down pretty easy due to his very low speed. Link doesn't do well when rushed down. Hitting on shield will likely devastate Link in this MU as well.

Not to mention one of Link's normal advantage of range with his sword is completely irrelevant to Cloud. Cloud will easily win CQC. Link can wall him out for some time but after he's in its over. Link's high weight is irrelevant as well against Cloud's strength. I've gotten pretty early kills against even DK and Bowser.

However, links got incredible off stage gimping tools so there's that. I DO see ROB and Toon Link being a problem though, as ROB's wall is absolutely tough to break and Tink can get around the arena so easily (and therefore does what Link does but better).
Heh, uh, maybe I should have mention that I was referring to death battle. Though personally, I think that this match up will be very tight. Maybe one character might have an advantage over the other, but I don't think it will be by much.

Though those are some very good points you have given for the both of them

I'm going to test out different Cloud match-ups since I have no work. if anyone would like to help further my research, add me.

And BTW, this isn't death battle. :4cloud: is probably the 4th best swordfighter in the game. Link is the worst swordfighter in the game. Cloud has more options then :4link:, and as soon as Link is in a trouble, he's dead.

Not to step on any :4link: mains toes.
Hey, you got my Death Battle reference!

Wait?! WORST?!

You take that back. I now he isn't the best, but that's just insulting.

:135:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I thought :4shulk:was the worst swordsman in the game. Lol. Regardless, I think Link is a bit underrated, and he's only been getting substantially better through the patches.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I thought :4shulk:was the worst swordsman in the game. Lol. Regardless, I think Link is a bit underrated, and he's only been getting substantially better through the patches.
Shulk is the 3rd best swordsmen in the game.

D

Deleted member

I really want to play FF7, but I haven't had the time...
Also, because I change AV cords for my Wii and PS2, it sometimes messes with my Wii U. The slightest touch of the HDMI cable will make the screen black, so I am a bit frightened...
I'll try to play some FF7 tomorrow. I haven't gotten very far in it yet. I'm going to Junon and was about to do some mini game in Fort Condor.

@XenoBrawler610: So, I faced a good Villager today and won. It was definitely an up hill battle, but stage control was a big component to my victory. Try to fight Villager in the middle of the stage and avoid any ledge battles because you will lose. Basically, give him/herthe ledge because they'll just do slingshot and Lloyd Rocket shenanigans all day if you try to edge guard. It makes for a painfully long match, but by limiting Cloud's off stage time, it widens the window for victory.
I see. I'll try that the next time I fight a Villager with Cloud. It seems like we need to be patient in the matchup and stay center really.

Shulk is the 3rd best swordsmen in the game.
I definitely think that Shulk is an underrated character... it's just really hard to use him at an optimal level in competitive play. He is easily the most complex character in Smash 4.

So i have not posted here for some time. How is everyone and how is Cloud for everyone?
He's really fun, one of the most fun characters in Smash 4.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

I'm doing alright, only have two hours left to leave home for work.

And Cloud goes along with the likes of Rosalina, Mega Man and Little Mac as a very fun character to use for me.

D

Deleted member

Cloud is pretty good for me to the point where I consider him one of my mains now. However I'm not a fan of his recovery. Other than that I think he's pretty awesome~

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
how do i kill in this game with this character, i just keep hitting away and can't kill

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
how do i kill in this game with this character, i just keep hitting away and can't kill
You will have to be more specific on your question. What is happening in your situation or how are you having trouble trying to kill?

If you are having trouble in killing in general then like what meleebrawler said use your limit breaks and use smash attacks if you see them in a really bad position and in danger of being KOed.

His limit breaks are the best thing about Cloud and they should be used and punishing is also really important as well.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Hey everyone. First time hopping in this thread.

I'm mainly a Melee player. Only characters I ever picked up in Smash 4 were Megaman, Roy, and a little bit of Shulk. I didn't really enjoy the game so I dropped it.

Cloud is just ridiculously fun to play. I've always wanted a character that is fast with a lot of hitlag/hitstun... and this character is all that and more. It helps that FF7 is one of my favorite games.

I'll be popping around here sometimes, and hopefully will get some results in tournaments in the Atlanta area.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Con0rrrr Con0rrrr

Welcome to the Cloud social thread! We hope you enjoy your stay and improve your Cloud! :)

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I was playing Final Fantasy 2 today and came across and airship pilot named Cid. Interesting.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Final Fantasy 6 is SO depressing once reach the world of ruin. Yet I'm starting to like this game more than Final Fantasy 7.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Still admiring all those little details put into this character.

I was thinking about why Cloud becomes a fastfaller once he enters LB. Then I remembered that in FF7, when he is LB, his ATB gauge fills a lot faster.
-
Anyway, today was my first encounter + victory against Link in FG.
Sure, it was a typical FG Link, but it was still awesome to feel in control the whole time.

There's nothing like sliding under enemy projectiles! :D Little stuff like this is what makes Cloud feel so different from other typical swordsmen.

Tshadow7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tshadow7
Hey Guys I have been playing with cloud for only 3 days now and Im thinking on Co-maining him and link, just wanted to say hi to everyone and also share some thoughts i played in anthers ladder with a megaman and his lemons and misiles keep me away and overpowered my blade beam i think is a hard MU for cloud what do you guys think??

Top Bottom