• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Cloud can't win against Kirby as Kirby gets a cute hat from him, you want to give Kirby a good hat, don't you? This is way Kirby will win all the time against Bayonetta
Now we know why Kirby doesn't get a hat from Shulk. (Seriously though Kirby with Blade Beam isn't a big deal outside recovery).

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
Cloud is at his best playing patiently, and that goes double against Kirby. Don't be too tenacious in attacking him, it won't take too much damage before an uair bumps him off the screen.
This.

Cloud has stupidly good kill options, but Kirby's punish options are deadly, too. It's a match of footsies until kill percentage. Luckily, Cloud holds the advantage in neutral.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've been thinking a lot about Midgar, because... what a stage!
I'm a bit sad they sidestepped the opportunity of including Shiva, turning the stage into a slippery Battlefield, or Titan spinning the stage around, but alas. It's still awesome.

That said... Is it ban-hammer material? Because other than Tera Flare, I don't think it affects the game too much.
But maybe that's enough. I don't know.. I've played people who have no problem avoiding electrified platforms, and even then, the platforms are moved around. And Tsunami affects everyone. Fire may not damage the caster (I think?) but the tilting of the stage does affect both players.

So anything beside Tera Flare affects both opponents (heck, I could even say that the latter part of Tera Flare makes it really difficult to see what's going on for all players).

So is it really ban-worthy?

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I've been thinking a lot about Midgar, because... what a stage!
I'm a bit sad they sidestepped the opportunity of including Shiva, turning the stage into a slippery Battlefield, or Titan spinning the stage around, but alas. It's still awesome.

That said... Is it ban-hammer material? Because other than Tera Flare, I don't think it affects the game too much.
But maybe that's enough. I don't know.. I've played people who have no problem avoiding electrified platforms, and even then, the platforms are moved around. And Tsunami affects everyone. Fire may not damage the caster (I think?) but the tilting of the stage does affect both players.

So anything beside Tera Flare affects both opponents (heck, I could even say that the latter part of Tera Flare makes it really difficult to see what's going on for all players).

So is it really ban-worthy?
Yup. If minor things like walk-offs make for a ban, summons make it uber-banned.
I'd like it if wecould imitate some of the European tourneys and legalize stages like Isle Delfino, Skyloft, and Suzuku Castle.

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
just because hazards can hurt anyone, that doesn't mean it's fair or legal

otherwise Port Town would be a damn good legal stage

also, what is the Sheik vs Cloud MU looking like, if anyone used him against a Sheik who has the slightest idea what they're doing?

because if i'm getting killed by uncharged sun salutations or Cloud's jab combo due to Cloud's terrible recovery, then going up against Sheik should give Cloud a really bad time, especially considering he doesn't snap the ledge *and* has limited recovery options

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
just because hazards can hurt anyone, that doesn't mean it's fair or legal

otherwise Port Town would be a damn good legal stage

also, what is the Sheik vs Cloud MU looking like, if anyone used him against a Sheik who has the slightest idea what they're doing?

because if i'm getting killed by uncharged sun salutations or Cloud's jab combo due to Cloud's terrible recovery, then going up against Sheik should give Cloud a really bad time, especially considering he doesn't snap the ledge *and* has limited recovery options
Sheik is faster than Cloud and hits quicker than him, if Cloud attempts a Limit Break, Sheik will either manage to dodge or even be able to hit Cloud to cancel the attack

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Am I the only one who finds Cloud normal Cross Slash very under whelming?

I mean, it's just so under powered.

Though apart from that, Cloud feels like a really cool character.

:135:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002

Standard CS is mainly used to rack up damage rather than be used to KO opponents (although it can do that as well). An example would be that you can dish out nearly 30% if you use d-throw then follow up with CS if the opponent doesn't shield and is at a low percent.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Standard CS is mainly used to rack up damage rather than be used to KO opponents (although it can do that as well). An example would be that you can dish out nearly 30% if you use d-throw then follow up with CS if the opponent doesn't shield and is at a low percent.
I thought that was what it's purpose was. but still, even then it is all that great. I mean, it's all right, but it can be better. Maybe if it had a damage increase or and endlag decrease.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Just dropping in the social thread. I'm really digging Cloud. I immediately am drawn to his kit overall. A swordman with a projectile and a decent speed jab. With other new characters, I jumped on FG and had a hard time competing with people playing as their real main. With Cloud, I still generally win.

Just a few things I like about Cloud:
Decently fast
Very powerful and disjointed, love love love fsmash.
Good aerials, especially nair and uair.
Dtilt is amazing.
Has a long range projectile.
Side b can be used as a landing option.
Limit break gives him three different kill moves, side b (fast), b (projectile), and down b (very powerful).
Limit break canceling.

I'm getting used to his recovery and stalling with b and side b.

I honestly think I've found a new secondary, maybe even a new main.

Last edited:

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
So... Cloud's grab game is fairly weak, apparently Uthrow can kill at around 160%. His pummel deals 3%. I've found myself getting a grab vs people that shield too much and then not knowing what to do with it. Sometimes I pummel around 3-4 times and then try to set up an edge guard and that's nice(pummels + throw deal 16%, which is not bad). Anybody else has found things to do as cloud off of a grab at different %s?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So... Cloud's grab game is fairly weak, apparently Uthrow can kill at around 160%. His pummel deals 3%. I've found myself getting a grab vs people that shield too much and then not knowing what to do with it. Sometimes I pummel around 3-4 times and then try to set up an edge guard and that's nice(pummels + throw deal 16%, which is not bad). Anybody else has found things to do as cloud off of a grab at different %s?
*shrugs*

O kind of just use it as a way to rack up damage. Though I guess it is also an option if you just want to get your opponent out of your face.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I thought that was what it's purpose was. but still, even then it is all that great. I mean, it's all right, but it can be better. Maybe if it had a damage increase or and endlag decrease.

Honestly all his normal specials are kind of underwhelming, to balance the insanity they become with limit. Climhazzard's poor at recovery as we all know, blade beam's easily swatted aside, and cross slash does good damage but is really bad on shield (don't think it deserves the poor linking though and seems like a thing to be patched. Maybe paralyze the opponent in such a way they don't move at all like it does in FFVII).
Dthrow to Cross Slash or ftilt's a thing at very low percents, but otherwise just throw your opponent to whatever direction gives you the greater positional advantage.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Honestly all his normal specials are kind of underwhelming, to balance the insanity they become with limit. Climhazzard's poor at recovery as we all know, blade beam's easily swatted aside, and cross slash does good damage but is really bad on shield (don't think it deserves the poor linking though and seems like a thing to be patched. Maybe paralyze the opponent in such a way they don't move at all like it does in FFVII).
I guess but they just feel too underwhelming. I mean, they don't need much of a buff, but changes hear and there could really help Cloud.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Cloud feels very amazing however I have trouble recovering with him. Anyone else have this problem?
I always end up SD'ing myself when playing free for alls with friends... I kinda want to jump into the action as quickly as possible and always end up pressing the buttong again during Climhazzard :p

But yeah, without Limit Break Climhazzard, it's difficult for Cloud to recover

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My only real complaint with Cloud is how Climhazzard should kill earlier as it's terrible for a recovery
Well normal Climhazzard is built so that it links with the descending strike, and it does do good damage when all hits land.
Limit Climhazzard I see as the speed alternative to Finishing Touch; nowhere near as lethal but much faster, less punishable and all-around easier to land.

It's definitely more suited for recovery though. One of, if not THE best recovery move in the game. Insanely fast and far with a hitbox on top.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well normal Climhazzard is built so that it links with the descending strike, and it does do good damage when all hits land.
Limit Climhazzard I see as the speed alternative to Finishing Touch; nowhere near as lethal but much faster, less punishable and all-around easier to land.

It's definitely more suited for recovery though. One of, if not THE best recovery move in the game. Insanely fast and far with a hitbox on top.
A friend of mine was getting distracted by a Smash Ball, I killed him by CHing that sucker. Also, is it me or is Omnislash pretty much an OHKO? I get it I get it, 'filthy item using casual who plays 8 player matches'

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A friend of mine was getting distracted by a Smash Ball, I killed him by CHing that sucker. Also, is it me or is Omnislash pretty much an OHKO? I get it I get it, 'filthy item using casual who plays 8 player matches'
Well, duh. The only character that I see consistently surviving any Final Smash like that which isn't Marcina's is Bowser at 0%.

It is funny how he essentially combines Marth and Ike's Final Smashes to make his. "Yeah, I could just dash and kill you like Marth does but I need to show that scrub Ike how a real finisher works. Now be glad I didn't bring Knights Of the Round too."

Also you get sweet camera angles if you catch everyone.

D

Deleted member

I played some For Glory and I encountered a Kirby...
I remember someone saying that Kirby is a bad matchup for Cloud and I can see why. The little guy can just combo Cloud and Cloud can't really react very well against his attacks. So, after getting bodied with Cloud, I switched to Luigi and had an easier time.
However, I managed to beat Classic Mode on Intensity 9 with Cloud; the only other character I did that with was Luigi.
I have to say that Limit Break Cancelling is so damn useful. Just having Cloud charge the move up and then immediately follow with a grab or any sort of attack gives him so many options that it creates some mindgames.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Fun discovery: as is the case with many others', LB Climhazzard won't ledgesnap if you're holding down. Great for mixups.

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Fun discovery: as is the case with many others', Climhazzard won't ledgesnap if you're holding down. Great for mixups.
Um, it doesn't snap anyway. Unless your'e talking about LB Climhazzard, which snaps. I'll do that alot when I'm forced to recover using LB and I still want damage off of my LB. If you want to use this well, try playing custom Ganon using Dark Fists. It really makes you appreciate that option.

Does anybody know if there's a way to get 3DS replays without a capture card? I was thinking the Cloud boards could make a collaborative combo/highlight video (including stuff like @Bobert77 's double fair spike and cool combos you guys have done) and it would be a shame if 3DS users like me and shinhed-echi shinhed-echi didn't get to show their stuff.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Um, it doesn't snap anyway. Unless your'e talking about LB Climhazzard, which snaps. I'll do that alot when I'm forced to recover using LB and I still want damage off of my LB. If you want to use this well, try playing custom Ganon using Dark Fists. It really makes you appreciate that option.
LB version is what I meant. Original post corrected. Thanks.
Edit: So both Nair and Bair have very little landing lag, allowing for some interesting possibilities on hit confirm.
Also, Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal , landing Nair into Dtilt/grab reminds me a lot of a certain penguin...

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
@Pacman9 Tri Knight Tri Knight and errbody else: After logging a butt ton of play time last night, I've decided to stick with Cloud as a main. He didn't click with me at first -- I was anticipating that his speed and power would translate into a play style similar to Roy's, but he loses, frustratingly so, when played that way. Cloud is an absolute monster when played in a hit-and-run style/baiting out his opponent and punishing on their whiffs. To me, he plays like a hybrid of ZSS and Ike; combining stupid amounts of KO power with really deadly frame trap tactics.

On a side note, Cloud doesn't appear to have any unwinnable matches. He faces issues against characters with strong off stage options, but thus far, I've yet to experience a match up that is an overwhelming struggle. I'm sure that will change within a couple weeks once players start to map out anti-Cloud strategies, but thus far, he has a lot of positive match ups, especially against Jigglypuff.
You're definitely right about his matchups. He's fast enough to keep up with the likes of Sheik, and can even wall out opponents with long reach with his Nair and such. His neutral is great because of this. He's also extremely deadly. His only true weakness is his recovery but even then I've found ways around that.

He's definitely First-Class

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I've actually been playing with smash balls on for a bit to mess around with Omnislash, and I know you can get it off of fthrow on fastfallers (not a true combo tho) and it's pretty much confirmed off of jab. Also, it's a OHKO on Midgar and most likely Battlefield and Dreamland since you land on the top platform. But by far the most epic use of Ominslash is for recovery, zipping back to the stage on a recovery you wouldn't normally make and hitting your opponent/s.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
But by far the most epic use of Ominslash is for recovery, zipping back to the stage on a recovery you wouldn't normally make and hitting your opponent/s.
I need to try this. Sounds awesome and hilarious.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I haven't been in here for a while. Just figured I'd drop by and say Cloud has been really fun so far. He seems like a solid high tier to me... I may even consider swapping Lucas for him. How's everyone else's experience been with Cloud?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Cloud's definitely my favorite DLC character in this game so far. Heck, I even have hopes that he might become my best character to use competitively.

I think I'll stick around and make this my go-to place to visit.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Fun fact: Because LB CH has much more horizontal movement, I killed an enemy with it...And flew off the stage! Seriously though, CH is waaaaay too badass not to be a great killmove
Well, that is very interesting. Though I've found something fun to do CH (non LB)

If you are off stage and know your not going to recover and your opponent is coming after you, try and hit them with the start of CH so that you can land the spike it. It's particularly funny if it is there last stock and they are on low percents. Or a good way to force sudden death.

SO APPARENTLY THIS IS A THING

Maybe I should learn how to perfect pivot and extended dash dance......

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue

I don't ever consider normal Cloud ready to kill. It's not a huge deal though considering how often we get the LB. But it's still so versatile. I use it to discourage approaches, catch aerial approaches, edge guard, punish reliably. It can actually be used as a substitute jab a lot of the time and it's actually safe, considering you can't continue to combo unless you confirm a hit.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I don't ever consider normal Cloud ready to kill. It's not a huge deal though considering how often we get the LB. But it's still so versatile. I use it to discourage approaches, catch aerial approaches, edge guard, punish reliably. It can actually be used as a substitute jab a lot of the time and it's actually safe, considering you can't continue to combo unless you confirm a hit.
Yeah I guess. But opponents seem to be able to escape it a lot. One hit I actually go hit out of it by Mewtwo's fair after the second hit.

You're definitely right about his matchups. He's fast enough to keep up with the likes of Sheik, and can even wall out opponents with long reach with his Nair and such. His neutral is great because of this. He's also extremely deadly. His only true weakness is his recovery but even then I've found ways around that.

He's definitely First-Class
Actually, I'm pretty sure Cloud has at least 1 unwinable match up.
:4link:

Cloud's definitely my favorite DLC character in this game so far. Heck, I even have hopes that he might become my best character to use competitively.

I think I'll stick around and make this my go-to place to visit.
Nice to see a familiar face

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I'm baffled with Cloud's recovery up B. During FG games, he misses the edge because he does an Ike and slams back down after the peak of his up b. I can't recreate this in training, what the heck is happening?

Top Bottom