• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I'd say 8 is very flawed, but despite that still quite fun.

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
Here's another Cloud vid for you lovely folk. An analysis I made looking at some of the details we may have missed even with the previous analyses. Enjoy

Nice analisys but, 31 frames of roll? That's very slow for a roll, even :4ryu: who has slowest roll does have 29 frames... that might be wrong

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
It's probably been said already but I'll say it anyway, it's been a week and I still can't believe Cloud is in Smash. I haven't felt this way since Sonic was confirmed in Brawl.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Confession time: it's really important to me that I win my first FG match as Cloud. It's kinda starting to worry me.
Help.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It's probably been said already but I'll say it anyway, it's been a week and I still can't believe Cloud is in Smash. I haven't felt this way since Sonic was confirmed in Brawl.
I have not felt this way ever. This, to me, means more than Sonic's confirmation in Brawl. Back then, I was a huge Sonic fan too. This is just so much more relevant, so much more unexpected, and so much more meaningful. I cannot believe it either. Playing as Cloud, I just cannot even imagine myself doing it. It has not sunk in and I doubt it will until I download Mr. Strife.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I keep thinking about how strange of a character he will be and why he has the move combinations that he does.

Like why does he have mega man's Dtilt, when he already has that excellent zone breaking dash attack? It's even stranger considering sword users normally poke with Dtilt.

Why does his fair spike with that kind of startup? Why is he this mobile with a sword that large?

I'm trying to find a flaw in his design to help synthesize the bigger concept behind it, but it's hard...

His playstyle will probably be something we haven't witnessed before. And I'm hype as hell for it.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Because Im a dweeb I came up with a possible move list for Zack if he ever appeared as a semi clone of Cloud, just for fun.
Changes from Cloud
Dash is a run instead of a float
Dash attack - Zack does a shoulder bash, if a is pressed again he'll turn around and swing the buster upwards.
Neutral air - same as clouds but in reverse
Back air - stabs behind him quickly
Jab - swings his sword 3 times like in crisis core
Ftilt - a quick stab with his sword
dtilt - goes farther than clouds slightly
Neutral B - casts fire, quick but weak
Down B - Casts Ice, brings it up from the ground and throws it forward, like a weaker version of Char's Down B
Side B - Rush, rushes forward and if it connects punches his opponent multiple times like in Angeals limit break
Up B - Jump, leaps up like Clouds and then stabs the ground if a or b is pressed again
Dsmash - Like Clouds but in reverse
Taunt 1 - Does the dance from Cissneis limit break lucky star
Taunt 2 - swings sword behind him and yells come get some
Taunt 3 - Pulls sword up to his face like Angeal

Thats me being a dork

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Haven't posted here yet. But I never expected Cloud to be in, but I am really glad he is in. I got a PS1 a few years ago and got two of the biggest games for it, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII and played them for the first time, both games are some of my favorite ever. It is amazing that both of them managed to land in Smash Bros!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Man...With all this excitement I really want to play Final fantasy VII again....

but I'm too lazy to hook up my old PS2... XD

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That's how I feel about XIII. Yes, it's linear and innovating apart from the rest of the series, but still incredibly fun.
It also gave us the coolest way of saying Thundaga: https://youtu.be/UVHM44Noaw8. The way she says it sounds like it's echoing and that she's some kind of goddess or it's like those moments where games slow down or stop time and you hear a booming, echoing voice calling out an attack. It's so lame and weird that it's also awesome and cool. :)

Edit: Oh my god. The way she says Ruinga: https://youtu.be/yWDDpdArRvk!

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Still doesn't beat the way the singer says "ruin" for Maid of Amsterdam: https://youtu.be/_5pe91O6Cnk.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
That's how I feel about XIII. Yes, it's linear and innovating apart from the rest of the series, but still incredibly fun.
At least the gameplay/systems aren't absolutely terrible, yeah. 13 is definitely playable, it's just...well, I guess you could say it's the "post-modern Final Fantasy." MMOs aside, not even 10 differentiated itself so much, with a more traditional turn-based combat system, sphere grid, and controllable summons, and 12, well...ehue. It's more action-y in its execution of combat, it's linear in direction/pacing, and it's got a story that's weird and convoluted as all get-out.

Just IMO, of course. From what little I've seen/played personally, you just gotta go into it with a somewhat open mind and expect very little common ground between the games that came before. You do that, and you'll probably have an ok time with it.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
It also gave us the coolest way of saying Thundaga: https://youtu.be/UVHM44Noaw8. The way she says it sounds like it's echoing and that she's some kind of goddess or it's like those moments where games slow down or stop time and you hear a booming, echoing voice calling out an attack. It's so lame and weird that it's also awesome and cool. :)

Edit: Oh my god. The way she says Ruinga: https://youtu.be/yWDDpdArRvk!

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Still doesn't beat the way the singer says "ruin" for Maid of Amsterdam: https://youtu.be/_5pe91O6Cnk.
Umm, isn't she just using it the same time as the computer-controlled Lightning is?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Umm, isn't she just using it the same time as the computer-controlled Lightning is?
No, she actually says it like that. Another video where it's just Light using Thundaga over and over: https://youtu.be/D1VF3pwLv2g.

At least the gameplay/systems aren't absolutely terrible, yeah. 13 is definitely playable, it's just...well, I guess you could say it's the "post-modern Final Fantasy." MMOs aside, not even 10 differentiated itself so much, with a more traditional turn-based combat system, sphere grid, and controllable summons, and 12, well...ehue. Just IMO, of course. From what little I've seen/played personally, you just gotta go into it with a somewhat open mind and expect very little common ground between the games that came before. You do that, and you'll probably have an ok time with it.

Smooth Criminal
FFXIII's combat doesn't pick up until the side quests which happen at like chapter 11... which is maybe 10 hours into the game? Yeah... most people would have given up by the first hour if not the first half hour. This also happens in XIII-2 except it has end-game to ramp things up, but still, that's like 30-some hours before you feel a challenge if you chose not to do the side quests and the challenging side quests also don't come in until like 10 hours in. It's been a while, so I don't remember clearly.

The reason I stuck with XIII is that it was my "gateway" and tutorial RPG. You will not believe how stupid I was with RPGs when I was younger. One game: Dark Cloud, lv. 99 Sax, end game. Question: who brings a tier one weapon to end game? A kid who doesn't understand basic upgrading. Or just using only the attack command in XII or going through Grandia 2 with only Ryudo as acceptably leveled while everyone else was pretty much under-leveled. Oh, and I gave Ryudo the magic egg thing when he's a warrior... Anyway, it was also the first game where I stopped listening to reviews and just tried out games. Modern Warfare 2 was the first game when I stopped riding bandwagons - I was on the BF bandwagon when I was younger. Guess what? I liked both games; they have merit however flawed.

As for XII, I like the setting and voice acting. Combat? Nooooooope. The most boring thing to me. I can see it's a cool idea where you can plan ahead and end up with the best "self-programmed" AI, but it's boring walking around and have your entire party kill everything and handle everything while you sit and watch. I'd like more interaction please.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
FFXIII's combat doesn't pick up until the side quests which happen at like chapter 11... which is maybe 10 hours into the game? Yeah... most people would have given up by the first hour if not the first half hour. This also happens in XIII-2 except it has end-game to ramp things up, but still, that's like 30-some hours before you feel a challenge if you chose not to do the side quests and the challenging side quests also don't come in until like 10 hours in. It's been a while, so I don't remember clearly.
Yeah, you're right, there's a sorta glacial pace there, too. I know that's what kinda turned me off to the rest of the 13 line. I was just speaking of 13 being different overall from the rest of the series.

As for XII, I like the setting and voice acting. Combat? Nooooooope. The most boring thing to me. I can see it's a cool idea where you can plan ahead and end up with the best "self-programmed" AI, but it's boring walking around and have your entire party kill everything and handle everything while you sit and watch. I'd like more interaction please.
All of my this, right here. Loved the aesthetic and feel of 12, but goddamn did the systems aggravate me to no end.

Fun fact: 12 is my fiancee's favorite entry in the series, and I give her **** for it whenever RPGs come up, lol.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
No, she actually says it like that. Another video where it's just Light using Thundaga over and over: https://youtu.be/D1VF3pwLv2g.

The reason I stuck with XIII is that it was my "gateway" and tutorial RPG. You will not believe how stupid I was with RPGs when I was younger. One game: Dark Cloud, lv. 99 Sax, end game. Question: who brings a tier one weapon to end game? A kid who doesn't understand basic upgrading. Or just using only the attack command in XII or going through Grandia 2 with only Ryudo as acceptably leveled while everyone else was pretty much under-leveled. Oh, and I gave Ryudo the magic egg thing when he's a warrior... Anyway, it was also the first game where I stopped listening to reviews and just tried out games. Modern Warfare 2 was the first game when I stopped riding bandwagons - I was on the BF bandwagon when I was younger. Guess what? I liked both games; they have merit however flawed.

Honestly, Final Fantasy 13 was the first Final Fantasy that I actually "tried." I played VII, X, and X-2, but I never got anywhere because I was also incompetent in regard to RPGs. After Chapter 11, or whenever, I gave up because I was so used to the linear game-play and hand-holding that I was intimidated by the rest of the game. That being said, I have gone back and whatnot to rectify that, but to me, the best part of the game will always be the first half despite everyone's complaints.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Nice analisys but, 31 frames of roll? That's very slow for a roll, even :4ryu: who has slowest roll does have 29 frames... that might be wrong
This is absolutely incorrect. First of all, Ryu doesn't have the slowest roll. Samus does followed by Yoshi by a considerable margin. They always have and probably always will. You can tell this just by looking at them. Second of all, if you actually referred to the roll frame data thread you can see that almost all the sword characters have a 31 frame roll, alongside a good number of the "tall human mid/heavy characters" (note that all the timings in this thread are 1 frame off because it's outdated and doesn't take into account the 1.1.1 universal change to rolls). So no, 31 frames isn't very slow. It's fairly average.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I keep thinking about how strange of a character he will be and why he has the move combinations that he does.

Like why does he have mega man's Dtilt, when he already has that excellent zone breaking dash attack? It's even stranger considering sword users normally poke with Dtilt.

Why does his fair spike with that kind of startup? Why is he this mobile with a sword that large?

I'm trying to find a flaw in his design to help synthesize the bigger concept behind it, but it's hard...

His playstyle will probably be something we haven't witnessed before. And I'm hype as hell for it.
He slides because in his world, he's a sword user often going against loads of guns. When you enlist in a military you learn a few tricks for avoiding gunfire.

Fair honestly doesn't seem that strong of a spike (not as much as dair anyway).

His weaknesses seem to be a vulnerable recovery without Limit Break and relative lack of safe approaches or footsie tools (blade beam does mitigate the second weakness a bit, though).

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I've been trying to get into FF lately. Can someone tell me what's so good about the Buster Sword? I know the Fusion sword can split into 6 parts, or something like that.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been trying to get into FF lately. Can someone tell me what's so good about the Mustard Sword? I know the Fusion sword can split into 6 parts, or something like that.
If by Mustard you mean Buster, then technically it's really only sentimental value (and two materia slots).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I see people have been confessing letdowns with their respective mains.

Well, might as well.

I'm glad Sonic got buffed from Brawl, because I put a LOT of effort into him back then.
And Megaman plays really great for me, he's the most fun character to use in SSB4 so far.

...but then there's :4littlemac:... I don't like how sometimes I feel as if I'm playing as Glass Joe instead, because I don't think his strenghts overcome his shortcomings. He'd have to have good aerials to at least make up for his attrocious recovery. Because seriously, it's not that he has "bad" recovery. He has the WORST recovery.
... which is a shame because he's my 2nd most wanted character to appear in Smash Bros. ever.

I think Mac will remain a character I use for fun (or only in very specific matchups), but Cloud will have to take his spot as 3rd in my roster for the competitive scene.

Last edited:

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
This is absolutely incorrect. First of all, Ryu doesn't have the slowest roll. Samus does followed by Yoshi by a considerable margin. They always have and probably always will. You can tell this just by looking at them. Second of all, if you actually referred to the roll frame data thread you can see that almost all the sword characters have a 31 frame roll, alongside a good number of the "tall human mid/heavy characters" (note that all the timings in this thread are 1 frame off because it's outdated and doesn't take into account the 1.1.1 universal change to rolls). So no, 31 frames isn't very slow. It's fairly average.
Oops my bad sorry, i mistaken roll animation by sidestep's haha.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I see people have been confessing letdowns with their respective mains.

Well, might as well.

I'm glad Sonic got buffed from Brawl, because I put a LOT of effort into him back then.
And Megaman plays really great for me, he's the most fun character to use in SSB4 so far.

...but then there's :4littlemac:... I don't like how sometimes I feel as if I'm playing as Glass Joe instead, because I don't think his strenghts overcome his shortcomings. He'd have to have good aerials to at least make up for his attrocious recovery. Because seriously, it's not that he has "bad" recovery. He has the WORST recovery.
... which is a shame because he's my 2nd most wanted character to appear in Smash Bros. ever.

I think Mac will remain a character I use for fun (or only in very specific matchups), but Cloud will have to take his spot as 3rd in my roster for the competitive scene.
But in a sense, I love how he's designed that way. He's a boxer, I don't need to jump around as much like with other characters for movement and attacks, his aerials are mostly for gimps, combo starters and setups but his best options are on the ground.

Yes the recovery is the worst thing in the game for him but he's the only character his size where Super Armor is present in almost 65+% of his moves and has the one of the best frame data in the game because he is a boxer and boxers don't fly around, the regulate to the ground to get the most out of their attacks and setups.

Plus along with :4bowserjr:, he's probably the most well-designed character moveset wise and character wise from his game. He's the ultimate underdog and it fits that style. Would I love a buff on his recovery, yeah go back to what he was pre-patch and give him a much higher up-B but I'm not asking much for Mac at all.
What y'all want is :4falcon: but every move is a punch.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
FFXIII is my favourite of the bunch besides maybe IX. The linearity isn't a problem, every main series FF game besides XII is linear, so since I realised that anyway and enjoy FF games despite linearity, XIII is no problem. Then after Chapter 11, FFXIII actually becomes really open. The characters and story just pulled me in better than most other entries, and I think it had the most realistic characters. I've honestly never understood why people had so much trouble following it's story, I constantly here this excuse that it's because of terms like "l'Cie" and "Fal'cie" and what not being confusing, but the game explains them perfectly. It's like complaining about "WHAT THE HECK IS A LUMA" just because it's not an existing English word.

I also really like the battle system, it can be rock hard at times but it's so satisfying when you win those hard bosses, and I find it to be the most intense of the FF games (as well as the sequels).

The sequels only improved the gameplay too and Lightning Returns is the largest (as in it literally has the largest world) and most open FF game besides the MMOs (and I'm sure XV will be bigger too).

But that's none of my business.

--------------------

The Cloud Amiibo looks great.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I'll be disappointed if Cloud doesn't have a costume that gives in pink hair and a white suit...

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ah, we're talking about favorite FF games huh?

I'd say my favorite is 5. 5 was the best FF experience I've ever had with its dynamic class system, awesome game balance, fun visuals, and the audio...my lord. I think 5's OST was when Uematsu REALLY got AMAZING. 5 was just an incredible game and will always be my favorite.

My favorite JRPG of all time though is Dragon Quest 5.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
VII will always be my favorite Final Fantasy, but if I had to live in one, I would go to XII's Ivalice.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
6 is my all-time favorite Final Fantasy, there's zero question. It's also in my personal top 3 favorite RPGs ever, trailing barely behind Chrono Trigger and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Smooth Criminal

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
But in a sense, I love how he's designed that way. He's a boxer, I don't need to jump around as much like with other characters for movement and attacks, his aerials are mostly for gimps, combo starters and setups but his best options are on the ground.

Yes the recovery is the worst thing in the game for him but he's the only character his size where Super Armor is present in almost 65+% of his moves and has the one of the best frame data in the game because he is a boxer and boxers don't fly around, the regulate to the ground to get the most out of their attacks and setups.

Plus along with :4bowserjr:, he's probably the most well-designed character moveset wise and character wise from his game. He's the ultimate underdog and it fits that style. Would I love a buff on his recovery, yeah go back to what he was pre-patch and give him a much higher up-B but I'm not asking much for Mac at all.
What y'all want is :4falcon: but every move is a punch.
I understand him being designed to be ground based. But him being a punching specialist should at least make him hit with his hands harder than say...:4sheik:or:4wiifit: in the air. (I mean, just look at them byceps). But no, I get the design philosophy behind him, it's just that I feel it either has to be worse recovery, OR worse air attacks. (I mean heck, it's not like he's 100% dominant on the ground, Marth can KO with a single arm using UpThrow, and Mac can't with both arms at over 200%, and being on the ground?).
Sorry, I don't want to sound whiny. :D I get what they were trying to do with him, but I don't think they followed through completely. He's still tons of fun to play as, and I won't be able to drop him from my most used characters. But I'll definitely take note of my achievements as :4littlemac: and compare them to how well I'll fare as:4cloud:. The fact that Cloud has that Limit Break gimmick, makes him MUCH more interesting to me.

/////////////////

As for favorite RPGs, I've been thinking how my ideal RPG would be one that combines awesome battle system + great soundtrack + Akira Toriyama.
And the answer.. well it already exists, and it is indeed my favorite RPG of them all.

1.- Chrono Trigger, of course.

Then the runner ups:
2/3 FFVII / FFVI
4.- Golden Sun + GS:The Lost Age (Is it ok to count them as one game? It is one story divided in two, after all).
5/6 - Mother 2 / Dragon Quest IV

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I'm way too partial to VII... idk maybe it's because It was my very first RPG but every time I think about FFVII I can't help but go through super nostalgic episodes. I can almost recite the game, hum every tune it has, and relive even the most miniscule moments in my head.

And it's the only game that has ever given that to me.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What makes no sense is that a non-superhuman boxer that wears either a muscle shirt or a hoody gets super armour on his attacks but a bounty hunter who is LITERALLY wearing 'super armour' doesn't....

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
While VII is my favorite in the series, there's no question that there's a lot to like in the series.
Close behind VII for me are IX and VI and after those comes V (currently playing through it again on my phone and I'm having a blast).

IV is pretty good, too, but the original is really showing it's age by now in pretty much all aspects. The storytelling isn't as intriguing, the characters not as well developed, even the gameplay is relatively basic. That makes it a really good introductory JRPG for those that never played one though.

And for other Square titles with similiar quality: Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu III (Secret of Mana 2) are both thoroughly amazing games.
Super Mario RPG is also a fun time, but not quite on the same level as those two (in my opinion).

Last edited:

ThatOnePeachMain

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicNerdFighter
6 is my all-time favorite Final Fantasy, there's zero question. It's also in my personal top 3 favorite RPGs ever, trailing barely behind Chrono Trigger and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Smooth Criminal
Have you ever played Earthbound? Thats a good one. Also, My favorite Final Fantasy (That isn't VII) is probably IX. I havent finished it yet, but I like the characters so far, and the art style of the whole game (I wish they would have done it a little more like that for their overworld sprites in VII) and the music.

Top Bottom