• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& 64 & Brawl +: Victoria, BC Biweeklies at UVIC

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Seeing as Francis hasn't updated the old thread in a LONG TIME, and I'm one of the main tournament hosts along with Mat (Hillary on SWF), I thought it would be a good idea to make a new one where I can edit the info. Well, here's the copied and pasted version of the old first post, so there may be some outdated info, but either way, here we go.

Finally Vancouver Island has a smash scene thanks to the organization of the UVIC Smash Club
We're offering bi-weekly tournaments to ANYONE who wishes to enter! Bring your friends, bring your johns, and byoc!

So let's get this all straight, kay?

Firstly, what are UVIC Bi-Weeklies?

Basically they're smash brothers brawl and melee tournaments for Vancouver Islanders (or anyone who feels like traveling to the events!). They happen every 2 weeks, usually on Saturdays at uvic. The information for these tourneys can be found on this site! It will be updated whenever something changes. Tell your friends about them!

What events are there and how much are they?
At the moment UVIC Bi-weekly tourneys will feature Smash Melee singles for $10 per person, Smash Melee doubles for $10 per team, Smash Brawl singles for $10 per person, and Smash Brawl Doubles for $10 per team! In the future we may have events such as smash 64 singles/faa, smash melee falcon only, smash brawl items FFA etc etc etc.

When/where is the next tournament?
[EDITED BY BLUE YOSHI:]Go to post #2 of this thread. That's where I'm putting the date on when the tournament will take place, and maybe an events schedule.[END EDIT BY BLUE YOSHI]
The room is A125 of the Engineering and Computer Science Building (ESC) at UVIC in the ring road.. Here's a map. http://www.uvic.ca/buildings/ecs.html
[/COLOR]

RULES
First of all, the events are located at a university, so we expect good behavior from everyone. There should be no loitering near any classrooms other than the room where the tourney is in. You're still welcome to leave the tourney room to go out and eat though, since there are takeout restaurants nearby after all. No food/drink is permitted in the tourney room, please eat outside it. UVIC students are having exams around this time so please keep all noise inside the tourney room (yes, you can be noisy INSIDE the room, it's pretty sound proof), not outside it. Please be respectful of all your fellow players and anyone else who happens to be nearby. We won't hesitate to kick you out if you do anything too inappropriate. Your tournament hosts are Francis aka Liverymen and Mat aka Hillary; look for them if you need help with anything.

Melee Singles
$10 entry fee. Pot split 60/20/10.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird)
4 stock
Time Limit: 8:00. If time is up and stocks are equal, lower % wins. If % is tied, then rematch 1 stock match on same stage.
All items off.
Matches are best 2 out of 3 in regular bracket and best 3 of 5 in semi finals/finals, of best 2 of 3 sets in finals (winner, loser, grand).
Each player may ban one stage for the entire set.
First match chosen is random from the list of neutral stages. Following the first match, loser of previous match picks new stage, winner picks character, loser picks character, and 2nd match is started.
When counterpicking, the player may not pick a stage that they last won on.
Neutral stages: Final destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon stadium, and Marth Story.
Banned: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi’s Island, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom I, and Mushroom Kingdom II
If both players agree, a banned stage may be counterpicked.

Melee Doubles
$10 entry fee per team. Pot split 60/20/10.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird)
4 stock
Time Limit: 8:00. If time is up and stocks are equal, lower % wins. If % is tied, then rematch 1 stock match on same stage.
All items off.
Matches are best 2 out of 3 in regular bracket and best 3 of 5 in semi finals/finals, of best 2 of 3 sets in finals (winner, loser, grand).
First match chosen is random from the list of neutral stages. Following the first match, loser of previous match picks new stage, winner picks character, loser picks character, and 2nd match is started.
When counterpicking, the player may not pick a stage that they last won on.
Neutral stages: Final destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Pokemon stadium, and Marth Story.
Banned: Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi’s Island, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom I, and Mushroom Kingdom II

Brawl Singles
$10 entry fee. Pot split 60/20/10.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird), classic/nun chuck allowed
3 stock
time limit: 8:00
matches are best 2 of 3 for regular and best 3 of 5 for finals (winner, loser, grand)
all items off.
after first match, loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
Player may not select stage they last won on when counterpicking.
Stage striking is allowed for first matches in each set ONLY.
Neutral: battlefield, Final destination, Smashville, Yoshi's island.
Counterpick: Pokemon stadium 1, delfino plaza, halberd, castle seige, lylat cruise, brinstar, corneria, frigate orpheon, jungle japes, norfair, pirate ship, rainbow cruise, green greens, onett
Banned: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Pokémon Stadium 2, Pictochat, Distant Planet, 75m, Big Blue, Bridge of Eldin, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow, Hyrule Temple, Mario Bros., Mushroomy Kingdom I, Mushroomy Kingdom II, New Pork City, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses, Spear Pillar, The Summit, Wario Ware, Port Town Aero Dive, Skyworld, Mario Circuit, Green Hill Zone, Luigi's Mansion
If both players agree, one of the banned stages may be counterpicked.

Brawl Doubles
$10 entry fee per team. Pot split 60/20/10.
Bring your own controller (no wavebird), classic/nun chuck allowed
3 stock
time limit: 8:00
matches are best 2 of 3 for regular and best 3 of 5 for finals (winner, loser, grand)
all items off.
friendly fire on.
after first match, loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
Player may not select stage they last won on when counterpicking.
Each team may ban one stage for the entire set.
No stage striking
Neutral: battlefield, Final destination, Smashville, Yoshi's island.
Counterpick: Pokemon stadium 1, delfino plaza, halberd, castle seige, lylatt cruise, brinstar, corneria, frigate orpheon, jungle japes, norfair, pirate ship, rainbow cruise, green greens, onett
Banned: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Pokémon Stadium 2, Pictochat, Distant Planet, 75m, Big Blue, Bridge of Eldin, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow, Hyrule Temple, Mario Bros., Mushroomy Kingdom I, Mushroomy Kingdom II, New Pork City, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses, Spear Pillar, The Summit, Wario Ware, Port Town Aero Dive, Skyworld, Mario Circuit, Green Hill Zone, Luigi's Mansion
If both players agree, one of the banned stages may be counterpicked.

64 Singles
$10 entry fee. Pot split 60/20/10
Bring your own controller (we provide spares, but they're sub-par quality).
5 stock
All items off
Matches are best 2 of 3, and best 3 of 5 for all finals (winner, loser, grand).
After the first match the loser announces a stage, the winner picks character, loser picks character. You cannot choose a stage you have previously won on.
Neutral: Dreamland, Hyrule Castle
Counterpick: Peach’s Castle, Kongo Jungle, Saffron City.
Banned: Mushroom Kingdom, Yoshi’s Story, Sector Z, Planet Zebes.
The first stage is to be agreed upon by the players. If they can't agree on a stage, random stage is selected. If it is one of the top 5 stages, Hyrule Castle is played. If it is one of the bottom 4 stages, Dreamland is played.
DK's cargo is allowed. If the opponent does not wiggle out, you must throw them or you will be called for stalling.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Our Next Biweekly is on the Labour Day Weekend, on Sunday and Monday (Sept. 6/7). This tournament will be spread over two days, with melee and 64 events on Sunday, and Brawl and Brawl+ events happening on Monday.

Tournament schedule:

9:30 am ... setting up
10:00 am ... friendlies begin
11:00 am ... registration begins*
12:00 pm ... events begin (see events order below)
?:00 pm (sometime in evening) ... events end, friendlies for rest of day.

*if you know you are going to be running late, let me know which events you are participating in ahead of time. This way, I can put you into the bracket early, and you can pay me once you get here.

EVENTS ORDER (may change):

Sunday:

MELEE Falcon only
MELEE Doubles
MELEE Singles
64 Doubles
64 Singles
MELEE Low tier (provided we have time)
64 Low tier (provided we have time)
64 FFA (provided we have time) ($5 entry fee instead of $10)

Monday:

BRAWL doubles
BRAWL singles
BRAWL low tier (tiers D, E, and F of the current tier list).
BRAWL+ doubles
BRAWL+ singles
BRAWL items ffa

Any other event, including those on Sunday we could not do then.

Here is who's coming:

Blue Yoshi
H8 Making Names
Nybb
talking_chicken
Kyle (what's your smash name?)
Max113
Brennan (what's your smash name?)
Hillary

about 10-15 more people unconfirmed

Here are the confirmed/likely equipment:

2 TV's (2 from Blue Yoshi)

2 64 console (1 from Blue Yoshi, 1 from Max113)
0 Game Cubes
3 Wii (1 from Blue Yoshi, 1 from Jamey, 1 from Max113)

3 smash 64 games (3 from Blue Yoshi)
2 smash melee (1 from Blue Yoshi, 1 from Jamey)
3 smash brawl (1 from Blue Yoshi, 1 from Jamey, 1 from Max113)

1 recording equipment (1 camera from Jamey)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
RESULTS

SEPTEMBER 6th

MELEE FALCON ONLY:

1: Sion
2: Patooty
3: Taffy
4: Meta
5: Daze
5: Rampage

MELEE DOUBLES:

1: Winkydoodle (Patooty + CowEar)
2: Double Evan (Sion + Meta)
3: Furi Kuri (Liverymen + Kuriko)
4: Where's my double jump? (Edge + Jamey)
5: Chicken Cordon Blue (Blue Yoshi + Matt)
5: Team Lazer Explosion (Joel + Haxr)
7: Confused Murderers (Daze + K11)
7: This won't bring back your God **** honey (Kyle + Nick)

MELEE SINGLES:

1: CowEar
2: Patooty
3: Kuriko
4: Meta
5: Sion
5: Liverymen
7: Blue Yoshi
7: talking_chicken
9: K11
9: Edge
9: MFHaxrBoy
9: Daze
13: Lovebuzz

64 SINGLES:

1: Blue Yoshi/Meta (tie, since Meta had to go)
3: talking_chicken
4: K11
5: Joel

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Won't be able to make this one because I will be in Whistler during that weekend.. However I would like to play ya guys sometime, so whenever the next event is after this let me know! :)

Grimice

Smash Apprentice
if kyle is refering to me then its grimice rofl... anyways i cant make it cause ill be in camp... i wont be back till the 22nd of sept but ill try and make a tourny on the week that im off... second place is bull**** robert ur G&W is going down!

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Kyle was referring to another Kyle.

It's not my fault you roll into my 9's... :p

As for the pot split, that is very old... there was once a split for 5th place lol.

We will determine the split once we're there... depends on the number of people at the tournament, but the 5% for 4th place is definitely not happening lol.

42_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5366-1431
I hope I can come to the next bi-weekly. I need more competition for my R.O.B. (and my GaW & Lucas)

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Adding to the hype machine

There is also a small chance of some LAN action, namely SC/WC3/DotA, using the UVic computer labs that are just upstairs. I know for a fact that WC3 (and therefore DotA) are possible, SC not sure about.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Adding to the hype machine

There is also a small chance of some LAN action, namely SC/WC3/DotA, using the UVic computer labs that are just upstairs. I know for a fact that WC3 (and therefore DotA) are possible, SC not sure about.
SC's even older than WC3, so the computers should run it just fine. I've also seen people play SC in those labs before, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just don't get caught :p

Rob, if the 5% for 4th isn't happening, you might want to take it out of the OP, then. :p

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
It all depends on how many people show up. I'll assume for now that top three will get money. I also propose that we should make the winnings 50/25/15 instead of 60/20/10 for two reasons:

-Makes winnings less first-place heavy... i.e. spreads the winnings around

-Much easier to calculate winnings. Half goes to first place, half of what's left goes to second place, then it's a 60/40 split between third place and the house cut.

If anyone disagrees with this change, let me know.

EDIT: DATE FOR NEXT BIWEEKLY, ALONG WITH TENTATIVE EVENTS SCHEDULE IS ON POST #2. TAKE A LOOK :)

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
*Deposits 25¢ in hype machine, gets Rick Rolled.* Darn. DX

I shall work on the PC, MC, and Ewic situation. Hope for the best! :D

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
SC's even older than WC3, so the computers should run it just fine. I've also seen people play SC in those labs before, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just don't get caught :p

Rob, if the 5% for 4th isn't happening, you might want to take it out of the OP, then. :p
The thing is that I already have WC3 on my account, and with a recent patch you don't need the cd anymore. And you can log onto multiple computers with the same login, so what I have done before is have people all log in as me and just join a LAN game.

Starcraft on the other hand, I couldn't just install. Warcraft for some reason installed fine, where SC complained about permissions, so I'm not quite sure how to get it going. Although I too have seen people playing SC on the ECS computers before, so I know it's possible...

Grimice

Smash Apprentice
god dam it we need to post torunys on here more often so more people show up..... this looks like its going to be a sweet ***. anyways...robert... remember that match i 0-deathed u 3 times in a row in like 1 min??? yaaaaa its gunna be happening again.... i got a month of practise on my dysnchs when im in camp coming up. ill cya in sept.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'll 64 money match you :)

Maybe even a Falcon ditto money match? :p

edit:

god dam it we need to post torunys on here more often so more people show up..... this looks like its going to be a sweet ***. anyways...robert... remember that match i 0-deathed u 3 times in a row in like 1 min??? yaaaaa its gunna be happening again.... i got a month of practise on my dysnchs when im in camp coming up. ill cya in sept.
The difference between your technique and mine is you have to practice your CG's and desynching. That takes alot of effort. Me, all I have to do is nine the wrong way and let you roll into it. You do all the work for me. Remember that match?

lol friendly trashtalk FTW :p

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
You might want to take me off the confirmed list. I'm in Vancouver until the end of PNE which is the 8th.

H8 Making Names

Smash Cadet
I'll 64 money match you :)
The difference between your technique and mine is you have to practice your CG's and desynching. That takes alot of effort. Me, all I have to do is nine the wrong way and let you roll into it. You do all the work for me. Remember that match?

lol friendly trashtalk FTW :p

that was total ownage... :p

Patooty

Smash Ace
anyone wanna money match me tooo? :)
I'll wanna go if I have a chance to win my transportation costs back.
Also 60% to first!!

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
ok, 60-20-10 then in all the games.

And to everyone, I need to know what you can bring to the tournament. Tell me everything you can potentially bring. I have spare smash 64's, so bringing just the N64 is good enough. I need to know:

TVs

64 consoles
GC consoles
Wii consoles

smash 64
smash melee
smash brawl

Also, if anyone has recording equipment, can you bring it as well?

And lastly, can someone bring a spare laptop to the tournament? Mine has been acting up lately, and I can't guarantee that it will work (took 50 tries at least to finally start the computer properly).

Patooty

Smash Ace
Would someone be able to pick me up/drop me off at the ferry? I want to go to this, I just need to make sure that everything will work out.

Kuriko, deal. Hmm $5 best of 5?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Jon lives closest to the ferry terminal I think, but if you are willing to take the bus to a closer location, I can pick you up. It saves me a 40 minute drive or so... and saves gas lol.

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/schedule.cfm?p=dir.text&route=70123:1&day=1&

Choose the day you want to arrive here, select a bus on there that starts from SWARTZ BAY (the ferry terminal), then go on that bus. All of them pass by where I can pick you up.

Patooty

Smash Ace
Deal MM.

k I can bus, just tell me where to stop i guess...
Also, I'm only playing melee and I have to work on Monday. I'm assuming the post on the first page is accurate. That is:

9:30 am ... setting up
10:00 am ... friendlies begin
11:00 am ... registration begins*
12:00 pm ... events begin (see events order below)
?:00 pm (sometime in evening) ... events end, friendlies for rest of day.
It looks like the latest ferry going back is at 9pm, which means i'll have to leave earlier, at like 8? 7:40? I don't know about travel times. Do you think the events will have been finished by then? Can anyone give me a ride back to the ferry? I'm afraid I'll get lost. After getting off at a stop and getting a ride to the university, I won't know how to get back :( Also means I can play for longer :)

Would be mucho appreciated!

Kuriko

Smash Apprentice
i'll money match 2 ppl from the mainland unless i win one, and i already said i would to tiep. so for the other person, it can be whoever asks me in person first.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
i'll money match 2 ppl from the mainland unless i win one, and i already said i would to tiep. so for the other person, it can be whoever asks me in person first.
Meeeeeeeeeeeeee... NOT! I remember what happened last time I played you. :p

Top Bottom