• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& 64 & Brawl +: Victoria, BC Biweeklies at UVIC

Patooty

Smash Ace
Wait... how many of us are going? Seems like we can definitely pay for gas money (twice over!) with all the money we'd spend on bus...

Patooty

Smash Ace
BlueYoshi, can I have your phone# and MSN?

Since nobody's replied yet, I assume that I'm going to be bussing somewhere that you can pick me up? I can't go if all this travel stuff doesn't get figured out soon.. it's already Friday :(

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
BlueYoshi, can I have your phone# and MSN?

Since nobody's replied yet, I assume that I'm going to be bussing somewhere that you can pick me up? I can't go if all this travel stuff doesn't get figured out soon.. it's already Friday :(
I think Rob's working today, so he won't be back till later tonight, but I've got his number. one two five oh eight nine six five three eight nine.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
phone number (for everyone who needs it... which should be everyone... i.e. EVERYONE ADD MY PHONE NUMBER): 896-5389

Can all the mainlanders coming to the tournament give me their number? That way if I miss a call, I can call you back. My phone does not have caller ID, so I won't know your number, but if I have a list, I can call you all and figure out who called.

msn: roblegs [at] hotmail [dot] com.

I rarely go on msn... so the best way to contact me would be by phone.

That said, I posted the bus route, but didn't explain it well.

Once you're off the ferry, take either the 70, 71, 72, or 73 towards downtown. Here is the bus schedule:

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/schedule.cfm?p=dir.text&route=70123:1&day=1&

You're picking up a bus from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal (second column).

Stay on that bus until you reach McKenzie Avenue. Get off the bus at McKenzie Avenue (or nearby). Here is the map of the bus route:

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm?line=70123&

McKenzie is just after Royal Oak Exchange and Blanshard at Saanich.

I'll pick you up on McKenzie.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Deal MM.

k I can bus, just tell me where to stop i guess...
Also, I'm only playing melee and I have to work on Monday. I'm assuming the post on the first page is accurate. That is:

It looks like the latest ferry going back is at 9pm, which means i'll have to leave earlier, at like 8? 7:40? I don't know about travel times. Do you think the events will have been finished by then? Can anyone give me a ride back to the ferry? I'm afraid I'll get lost. After getting off at a stop and getting a ride to the university, I won't know how to get back :( Also means I can play for longer :)

Would be mucho appreciated!
Going from UVic to the ferry is about an hour and a half if you bus the whole way. If Rob is super amazing and awesome and you say please and he drives you back to McKenzie like he is doing for you on your way there, it would take about an hour to get back to the ferry terminal, so you'd probably have to leave before 8pm.

Patooty said:
Wait... how many of us are going? Seems like we can definitely pay for gas money (twice over!) with all the money we'd spend on bus...
It's probably not cost-effective to drive over, if you can avoid it; you're probably forgetting that the ferry charges you drive on. I did some quick math, and busing/walking on to the ferries is about $30 a person for the round trip, while taking a full car with 6 people is about $40 per person. Less people in the car would obviously be more $$ per person. Although it would save time over busing.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
It's probably not cost-effective to drive over, if you can avoid it; you're probably forgetting that the ferry charges you drive on. I did some quick math, and busing/walking on to the ferries is about $30 a person for the round trip, while taking a full car with 6 people is about $40 per person. Less people in the car would obviously be more $$ per person. Although it would save time over busing.
It's also worth noting that the ferries will be PACKED this weekend because of the UVic rush. Ferries will run every hour, but if you want to drive onto the boat, you've got to be there maybe about an hour before your sailing if you want to make that happen, whereas if you walk on, just be there at least 10 minutes before the boat leaves and you should be good.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
No, you have to be about 3 hours ahead AT LEAST to be there by car. It's PACKED, like you said, but yeah, PACKED. I got off work at 2:30 today, listened to News 11:30 (Vancouver news station), and there was like one or two of the latest ferries left that weren't booked or full.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Depends on the time you go. Mornings generally fare better (we're aiming for 10am at the terminal for the 11am sailing), and Friday and Saturday are generally the worst days for it. Afternoons are pretty bad, though. I don't know if they were running boats on the hour today...

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Walk-ons should be okay no matter what boat it is as long as you get to the terminal on time, or someone might be nice enough to drive you all the way to the ferry terminal (it's only a half hour to 45 minute drive).

As far as driving goes, Sunday evening should be okay, though Monday's probably going to be a nightmare.

Metà

Smash Master
Who can pick us up when we get to the ferry terminal?

What's Daze's address? Howard said Rob sorted that housing deal out. We need a place to stay and a ride to said place.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Who can pick us up when we get to the ferry terminal?

What's Daze's address? Howard said Rob sorted that housing deal out. We need a place to stay and a ride to said place.
Read thread:

That said, I posted the bus route, but didn't explain it well.

Once you're off the ferry, take either the 70, 71, 72, or 73 towards downtown. Here is the bus schedule:

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic...70123:1&day=1&

You're picking up a bus from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal (second column).

Stay on that bus until you reach McKenzie Avenue. Get off the bus at McKenzie Avenue (or nearby). Here is the map of the bus route:

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic...fm?line=70123&

McKenzie is just after Royal Oak Exchange and Blanshard at Saanich.

I'll pick you up on McKenzie.
(links got cut off, see original post for links. It's on this page)

The buses leave the ferry terminal pretty quickly after the boat comes in. The stop is right outside the terminal entrance; just exit out and then look to the right once you get out. Bus fare is $2.25, exact change only, unless you like paying more than you should for things.

The housing part, Rob can provide more details about, I guess. You can probably give him a call tonight (his number's a few posts up), though if it can wait till tomorrow morning, it might work better, as he's at a work party right now. He said he'll still take calls.

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
I live at 885 Craigflower road, apt. 309

I managed to finagle the weekend off with some shift switching and will be showing up in victoria some time saturday, most likely afternoon. You can call me at 250-508-2982 to confirm anything. I can house pretty much any number of people but let's try to keep it reasonable. I only have a two bedroom place. I'd say four mainlanders could probably sleep here fairly comfortably.

Getting to my place by bus is fairly simple. Take the 70/72 or whatever number the buses from the ferry are. Stay on there until you're downtown preferabbly on douglas st. From there, find a stop where the 14 - Vic General via craigflower stops. Get on. On the left, there will be a sign that says the address of the building (listed above.) and Westside Apartments. All in big red letters on a white sign. Pull for the stop as soon as you see that and get out andd go there. I am #309.

If these directions are confusing at all just give me a call. 250-508.2982.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Also worth noting is that the 14 goes to UVic as well. So if you want to go straight to Daze's place from UVic, you can just take the bus, though I don't know when the last bus leaves. Either 11 or midnight, I think.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
The more we can get, the better. :) I think we're sitting on a guaranteed 3 right now, 5 if Francis is coming (haven't heard from him myself in a while, though I haven't been in Victoria for four months, so I don't know that much).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
TV's are always good. I'd rather have too many tv's than not enough. If it's too much of a hassle (like you having to carry the tv like me, francis and tony did for your tournament), then don't worry about it. If it's not a problem, then it would be great.

H8 Making Names

Smash Cadet
wouldnt it be easier if the mainlanders went to the greyhound/pacific line bus station in vancouver, got on the: to victoria bus, than rode on it til downtown victoria? also they would be like right next to a bus stop for the 11 and 14, both of which go to UVIC?

wont be as crowded as the 70 and such, and will be faster at the same time since it will prob only stop once or twice until it reaches its destination at downtown victoria

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
wouldnt it be easier if the mainlanders went to the greyhound/pacific line bus station in vancouver, got on the: to victoria bus, than rode on it til downtown victoria? also they would be like right next to a bus stop for the 11 and 14, both of which go to UVIC?

wont be as crowded as the 70 and such, and will be faster at the same time since it will prob only stop once or twice until it reaches its destination at downtown victoria
I would have suggested it if I knew about it. How much does it cost?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Just a reminder to everyone

TOURNAMENT STARTS TOMORROW

Setting up at 9:30 (come then if you have stuff to set up).

FRIENDLIES START AT 10:00

Sign-ups start at 11:00

FIRST EVENT (likely melee Falcon only) AT 12:00

COME FOR SOME FUN... and to prove your skill to the mainlanders :p

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Okay, guys, serious note. Rob's iPod touch went missing. I'm pretty sure it was taken because it was attached to headphones and when we went to get it, only the headphones were there. It was a touch near Rob's laptop on the front. If you have it, bring it back to Rob and we won't think any worse of you. If you're on the mainland, you can mail it back (I'm sure Rob can give you a mailing address).

If you don't plan on returning it,

SHAME ON YOU!

Anyway, if you have it, please bring it back. If you do, the big text right above this paragraph won't apply.

Patooty

Smash Ace
1st - Cowear (Ryan)
2nd - Patooty (Tiep)
3rd - Kuriko (Howard)

Edit: I think Meta (Evan) got 4th, and Sion (Sion) got 5th. I dunno who the other 5th was.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
results are posted on the third post in this thread. check them out.

though it should be noted that Daze's placement is due to a bad bracket seeding on my part. I was so focused on separating the Vancouver smashers that I accidentally made the top Victoria smashers fight against each other in the first round and 'lower' Victoria smashers fight against each other in the first round as well. Daze had to play Howard in the first round, then Francis basically right after. Daze is in fact one of our better smashers.

Next time, I'll check the entire bracket before confirming the bracket to be good.

Top Bottom