• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

626 / Pasadena Area Smash: Unleashing Your Inner Robert

markeezy

Smash Cadet
hey i live in the glendale area and go to PCC. i'm down for some smash if you're willing to let me and a friend of mine come along.

markeezy

Smash Cadet
let me know when you arrange something again. my AIM is MaverickSLv and you can find me at myspace.com/markeezy

Sleepy

Smash Ace
Have you played with anyone outside of your area? Or try some new tricks with characters that you don't use.

Mickey: I thought your school ends this week?
it just doesn't have the fun it once did for me at least. Melee for life for me! sorry about late message, haven't checked smashboards in a while.

markeezy

Smash Cadet
hey are you guys gonna do a brawl night possibly on a friday night? i'm looking for new people to play with

iankobe

Smash Lord
it just doesn't have the fun it once did for me at least. Melee for life for me! sorry about late message, haven't checked smashboards in a while.
Melee is fun alright, but its time to move on.

Melee's been around for like 7 years, and now its Brawl's time. I just think that people should just give Brawl a chance.

Markeezy: Just check back later until we arrange something.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
hey I live in the 626 and am very much down for melee, but I suppose Ill resort to a little bit of brawl if I have to.
if anyone else in the 626 wants to have a smashfest or something for melee PLZ let me know

oh and to the above poster, I gave brawl a chance, got good at it, got decent with every character, got bored........ There is very very very little I can do to get better, other than maining another character
I know this whole "advanced techniques havent all been found yet" arguement, but seriously, unless brawl invents an l-cancel to give another character hitstun, there are no combos, and it remains boring..

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
hey I live in the 626 and am very much down for melee, but I suppose Ill resort to a little bit of brawl if I have to.
if anyone else in the 626 wants to have a smashfest or something for melee PLZ let me know

oh and to the above poster, I gave brawl a chance, got good at it, got decent with every character, got bored........ There is very very very little I can do to get better, other than maining another character
I know this whole "advanced techniques havent all been found yet" arguement, but seriously, unless brawl invents an l-cancel to give another character hitstun, there are no combos, and it remains boring..
You can always get better.

Brawl (so far at least) is much more about mind games. Simply by predicting your opponnent or forcing them into situations where they will react in a predictable way and using effective moves to punish them can create strings. Brawl just requires much more thinking than melee and less tech skill (for now)
I think Ian said that melee made him physically tired while brawl made him mentally tired? XD I don't remember but someone said that stuff while we were hanging out before didn't they? lol

And really melee didn't have a much better metagame after it had been out for less than a year either.

Ian!!!
I need a smashfest to practice more =P I'm too noob right now lol.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Just because more of brawls metagame is focused on mindgames doesnt mean it requires more skill than mindgames than melee.

Lets say brawls metagame is 70% mindgames
And melees is 40%
Melee's 40% is still harder to preform/more important than brawls 70%

So when you say brawl requires more thinking, I dont think it does, I think brawls just about out-prioritizing. Think about top tier players and characters. Snake, wario, marth, metaknight? All out-prioritizing.

And I dunno when l-canceling was discovered but it was in 64, so I think it must have been discovered fairly soon after release. Thats a really big step up in metagame. Although I wasnt at the tourny scene when melee was released (and dont take this the wrong way, I doubt u were too), there was more of a metagame right off the bat. But even then I dont think tourneys were happening consistantly after melee was released.

Melee eventually grew and grew, where the metagame got to evolve. Brawl has the advantage of starting huge, with people tournying even before it was released (me included, on the japanese edition), and learning alot about the metagame right off the bat. I hate to break it to you, but there likely wont be any advanced technique coming out to make the metagame any better.... unless of course we find an l-cancel that will give other players some hitstun. Now Im not saying little things wont be found here and there, but yeah, it wont evolve very much. Even Gimpy says the only way to progress is to become campier.... which is just gay.

And Im pretty good at brawl, so I know what your trying to say... but........ well whatever, im just ranting. People are gonna think the same about brawls future no matter what I say

But this is off topic, 626 baby

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I know this is off topic but I just would like to say that people never like change. However if people never accept change then we would never find anything new in life. You can never really tell where the future will go. All you can do is let time take you there. It tends to surprise people :)

Besides brawl is a different game. The reason melee has more complex mindgames would be because people have been playing it for 7 years and know a lot about the mindgames people do etc.

and pff i play kirby and still do decently XD I couldn't do that in melee lol.
Anyways people like what they like and like I said they are different games.

(pretending to be on topic) lets have a smashfest again next week? XD

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
i miss smash fests :] . hey nasty nate if you come you should kick our butts at brawl. i am kind of expecting it lol.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Anyone who thinks Brawl has more mindgames or is more mindgame orientated than Melee must've sucked ballz in Melee. Simply because that is not true. I'm not going to get into detail simply because it's not worth it but just for the record:

Melee > Brawl in both the mindgames and technical aspects. It's a given fact and anyone who was good in Melee would say the same thing.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Yeah I think that will be fine with me... not quite sure what I am doing the day after yet so not sure how late I can stay and all but thats my day off from work so it should be fine

Can't wait to play you guys again :)

markeezy

Smash Cadet
that day doesnt look good since i have a final the next day but enjoy yourselves and let me know when the other smashfest will be!

BVA

Smash Apprentice
Will there be another IronChef's one dollar tournament?

This time with doubles and singles!?

Lol.

Top Bottom