• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

626 / Pasadena Area Smash: Unleashing Your Inner Robert

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
I wish I could go...I have been meaning to attend a local melee tourny but fri and sat is usually best for me :(

Sleepy

Smash Ace
well, we could have a tourney I guess? but I mean, I don't want 20 people showing up, because I can't accomodate that much and my dad has to go to work on friday morning.

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
Man this sounds fun! Hmm let me know if you guys are planning anything on fri or sats ;P

Sleepy

Smash Ace
yeah I don't get why anyone cares, no one really plays hard that is a pro, and if they aren't they're all second string anyways. no one wants to get injured before the season starts.
Even if basketball preseason is a waste football is far worse, since it's like the probowl, where they don't give two ****s about it.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
Don't know, but like I said, when the game isn't worth much don't know. Basketball isn't my favorite sport, either though. I would watch baseball spring training games too, sometimes it's hard to see a point though.
But if you saw the pro bowl, I would think you would think a contact sport going easy on eachother is a joke.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Personally I think watching basketball worths all my time. What is your standard of something being worthy? I mean we're just playing friendlies and I don't think that worths 100% of my time 100%. Smash, you can always have time for it. But every single year in sports is different regardless if its in preseason or real season or not. I simply just LOVE playing/watching basketball. I mean even if someone like Mew2king or Ken playing a friendly, meaning the game worths "nothing", you'd still want to watch the match anyway, right?

Honestly I have priorities over Smash and I understand if you don't see the point of people like me look forward to these stupid preseason games. It's just too much fun to watch basketball.

Again, I'm NOT SURE if I'm coming. I still MIGHT!!

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
could be worse, you could be watching preseason baseball, or soccer

::shivers::

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
soccer is good, dumb american.

sports without a point = bad sports. watching preseason / exhibition anything is lol status. you have to take the performances with a grain of salt, you see the regulars for like five minutes, and it's sloppy, ****ty basketball. i guess that's your idea of fun.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
chances are you haven't seen high-quality soccer

high quality soccer destroys most sports. there's a reason everyone loves the world cup :)

Sleepy

Smash Ace
Personally I think watching basketball worths all my time. What is your standard of something being worthy? I mean we're just playing friendlies and I don't think that worths 100% of my time 100%. Smash, you can always have time for it. But every single year in sports is different regardless if its in preseason or real season or not. I simply just LOVE playing/watching basketball. I mean even if someone like Mew2king or Ken playing a friendly, meaning the game worths "nothing", you'd still want to watch the match anyway, right?

Honestly I have priorities over Smash and I understand if you don't see the point of people like me look forward to these stupid preseason games. It's just too much fun to watch basketball.

Again, I'm NOT SURE if I'm coming. I still MIGHT!!
don't get me wrong, I throw out my opinion whether you want to take it or not. It's not saying you should come at all. I just have a tendency to say what I think, rather than worry about how you'll take it. You watch **** whatever the hell you want, and I'll think what I want too.

oh yeah, I can't watch soccor either. American I am lol. Baseball, Football, Tennis, Basketball. In that exact order.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I never liked soccer. Its fun to play, but man its boring...until someone scores.

Kinda like baseball.

That's why I like basketball. Full of excitements. Just like Melee. *Cough Unlike Brawl*

EDIT: SLeepy: I didn't get you wrong. Its okay if you think that way. I'm just saying that BECAUSE there's a preseason game, I might not be able to come. But I mean, just cause I like watching something that you don't agree to, you don't have to insult me like that. =/

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
that just depends on your perspective. when your perspective for fun in a sport is, "it's only fun when there's action, with action defined as scoring," then no **** you're not going to like low scoring sports / games. but when you try to find other ways to get enjoyment out of it -- say, the individual batter vs pitcher matchup -- then runs don't need to be plated to get the fun out of it. ime, the more knowledgable i become about a sport, the more fun it is to watch it since i can enjoy it on a multitude of levels.

basketball pisses me off because so many of the players are just absolutely stupid in terms of knowing the game, but you can get by in the NBA with just so much athletic skill... i sound like an old man, but there are no fundamentals. it's kind of annoying in that sense. but i watch it anyway.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
I just looked it up, sorta interesting, not that I'll play it, but it looks kinda cool in concept. Hell today I was even playing through RE4 again lol.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
that just depends on your perspective. when your perspective for fun in a sport is, "it's only fun when there's action, with action defined as scoring," then no **** you're not going to like low scoring sports / games. but when you try to find other ways to get enjoyment out of it -- say, the individual batter vs pitcher matchup -- then runs don't need to be plated to get the fun out of it. ime, the more knowledgable i become about a sport, the more fun it is to watch it since i can enjoy it on a multitude of levels.

basketball pisses me off because so many of the players are just absolutely stupid in terms of knowing the game, but you can get by in the NBA with just so much athletic skill... i sound like an old man, but there are no fundamentals. it's kind of annoying in that sense. but i watch it anyway.
not to play the race card in a bad manner, but you're the first african american I've ever heard saying anything against the general basketball system. I do agree though, basketball does depend a lot on build, and talent, rather than other sports where it's more developed. Though basketball is an easy sport to enjoy for most people, because usually there is something going on, and it's pace is quicker with lots of scoring.

wow double post, what a moron I am. and Ian, if it came off that way, sorry.

iankobe

Smash Lord

I totally agree with your perspective of fun in sport is. There's not much for me say more than that.

But for basketball, I personally believe there ARE still fundamentals, but limited. I agree with you too, but it is because the game of basketball is evolving over the past decades. From Chamberlain to Magic, Magic to MJ, and now we have Kobe. I mean, for example like Shaq. He didn't need no fundamentals and all he did was dunking the ball and missing FTs.

What I'm saying is, back to your point of having fun in watching sports...its a subjective hobby.

EDIT: Its okay Sleepy. I think I'll come anyway. Can you let me use a TV to watch it though?

Sleepy

Smash Ace
all sports have their quirks, basketball has particular ones P doesn't like. Personally I hated basketball for a while too, because of those reasons. Now though, I don't really mind, and I'll watch. I'm not as into it as you, but yeah, basketball is fun to play and watch. Also some people in basketball, only can fall back on fundamentals, there is no person born shooting 3's at high %. That might just be a different person's cup of tea, and yeah basketball does have a lot of people who are just taller and have easier shots. Though you can like teams who play other styles, rather than dunk and layup.

Like personally, I prefer watching serve and volley tennis, like taylor dent and marty fish, over andy roddik. Baseline punching is too common with the racquets so light and powerful now. It's hard to watch an old style besides in the French Open on Clay.

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
whats basketball? jk. hey sleepy since you have the wii cords and plug ins im just going to bring brawl and just the wii. yes, i am still persistent about brawl, there are people who are going to play this time, yaaaay.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
that's fine, like I said, I'll provide one tv for brawl. I don't like it, but I won't stop people who want to participate and play it either. I do have a wii and gcn. I do have all the characters and stages(yes in brawl, used to own it, but gave it away), but not sure, maybe you should just bring everything, or if it's too much trouble, don't bother. and bring brawl itself.

I'm gonna move the table down a litle bit, so the tv facing the opposite of the larger tv has room for people to sit around it better.

Top Bottom