• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

626 / Pasadena Area Smash: Unleashing Your Inner Robert

iankobe

Smash Lord
Do you play anything, P?

EDIT: Thanks for doing this Sleepy. I really appreciate that you open up your house for us. =]

Sleepy

Smash Ace
someone's gotta, at least for now, smashers are smashers. Besides I think J666 said it like this : "smashers help out other smashers, so cal is the best."

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
well i don't hate basketball at all, it's probably my favorite sport... i've just become pretty jaded about it. top notch basketball, though, is like poetry in motion; it's just amazing. that's why the spurs are my favorite team

i played basketball in high school / still do i guess, though i suck much more now. all sports are the same to me though, i'll play anything and be competent in it and have fun doing it, so it's basically about access.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
I can play smash anywhere, but I can only get gourmet soda at sleepys
yayuhz

Sleepy

Smash Ace
oh yeah ****, I'll get that soda tomorrow, when I apply for a new job. I hope I can find one that doesn't mind me going to nor cal for west coast smash league lol.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
wait how is the international ruleset different?
it's funny because everywhere else in the world uses the international rules except us.

the 3-point line is much closer, the lane is much smaller, the shot clock is fully reset after fouls, only 5 fouls (including techs) before you foul out, once the ball hits the rim you can tip it in or do whatever you want, and there's no 3 seconds in the key.

so it places much more emphasis on shooting and passing and less on just bulldozing your way to the rim since the opponent can pack the lane and make you shoot jumpers all day. the most (only?) effective way to get around zones in that case would be crisp passing and good shooting. so big men have to become more skilled instead of just being big, and guards have to actually have jumpers or they'll get exposed.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
well i don't hate basketball at all, it's probably my favorite sport... i've just become pretty jaded about it. top notch basketball, though, is like poetry in motion; it's just amazing. that's why the spurs are my favorite team

i played basketball in high school / still do i guess, though i suck much more now. all sports are the same to me though, i'll play anything and be competent in it and have fun doing it, so it's basically about access.
huh...
the more you know

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
SPURSS. COME ON. They old.
best coached team in the NBA. second best player in the NBA. smartest team (players, coaches, and front office) in the NBA.

i don't root for teams as a fan anymore, i root for the best run franchises. i was a laker fan for a long time before i realized how poorly run they've been. mitch kupchak is a horrendous gm.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
wait a minute
doesnt the olympics use international rules?
and dont we still ****?
I thought it relied more on skill

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
****? no. the best? yes.

but it's pretty pathetic when you think about it. only a handful of non-US teams have even 2-3 NBA players, and only a small handful have a couple of stars. everyone else is made up of nobodies that couldn't even be the 12th man in the NBA, yet they compete against a US olympic team made almost exclusively of all-stars with the best players in the world.

in other words, 95% of the best players are from the US. but those other 5% in other countries still compete, challenge and even beat the US despite a much worse talent pool to draw from.

the US basketball team will never dominate the olympics again. those days are over.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
a little downsized from the normal, but it was sorta nice. Thanks Ian, Happy, Twilight Kirby, and nasty nate for coming down. Hopefully we get a larger showout next week.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
well anyways, this thursday might be the last for a while, unless I can find another day, so if you guys can come... come this thurs! 10/16

HaPPyTheCoW

Smash Apprentice
hmmm since i might go to a tourney this saturday for brawl, i might not go because i dont want melee to rust me. i am currently debating, lol.

Top Bottom