• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I personally think the trophy thing isn't true.

I actually heard someone say that it could hit at something shown after it.

Newcomers were shown after Pseudo-Palutena
Smash Run were shown after King Kihunter (and Smash Run has Kihunter enemies)
I think Assist Trophys were shown after Fi, Ghirahim is perfect assist trophy material)
I'm not sure what was shown after Tiki but I think it was Online or Wii U stages. We do have a new FE stage now so maybe?

Either way, I think its just a coincidence.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I think Assist Trophys were shown after Fi, Ghirahim is perfect assist trophy material)
I'm not sure what was shown after Tiki but I think it was Online or Wii U stages. We do have a new FE stage now so maybe?

That's like saying the sky is blue. The Trophy Quiz's were shown inbetween sections, not during them so of course they were shown before a new topic.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
51 characters would be so much better than 47 and we wouldn't be able to predict everything. What are the odds leaning to right now 47 or 51? Cuts would be PT, snake, Lucas, and Wolf and Rob on the bubble. I would much rather have ROB go over wolf he is a villain and fan favorite.
I'm honestly hoping for a newcomer nobody expected along with the fan favorites, I don't really want anybody from that SAL leak except chrom, Wouldn't mind him. And is DLC confirmed if the leak is true?

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
51 characters would be so much better than 47 and we wouldn't be able to predict everything. What are the odds leaning to right now 47 or 51? Cuts would be PT, snake, Lucas, and Wolf and Rob on the bubble. I would much rather have ROB go over wolf he is a villain and fan favorite.
I'm honestly hoping for a newcomer nobody expected along with the fan favorites, I don't really want anybody from that SAL leak except chrom, Wouldn't mind him. And is DLC confirmed if the leak is true?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Wolf and especially ROB really aren't on the bubble. ROB is from a unique gaming series, and the Melee cuts were only clones/characters from series already healthily represented. Wolf is a unique (despite belief among some) non-clone, who is popular and a favorite of Sakurai. With the stock Nintendo are putting into the upcoming SF game, cutting him would be nonsensical.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wolf is very unlikely of getting cut trust me hes a villian and he was not a clone of fox, his moves are way different than foxes.

And for R.O.B :glare:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95844-R-O-B-The-Robot-Toy-That-Saved-Modern-Gaming

READ

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
The fact that the game was delayed from July to October gives a number closer to 51 some credability. So basically 4 extra in addition to the leak. Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo and Mach Rider/Takamaru are my guesses for what the four would be.

And DLC is a good idea... maybe as a perk for waiting until Wii U, you can get DLC released between October and December on the disc? No need to download anything.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Chibi-Robo!!! :troll:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Wii U stages were shown just before Tiki. The only one that could be really legitimate out of these is the King Kihunter one imo, Palutena doesn't relate to any of the veterans shown, and I'd buy the Fi one if it wasn't for the fact that Ghirahim wasn't shown at all.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ya wolf is unique I don't get why people think he's a clone. Lol I didn't know that my bad but wasn't hating on him just saying I'd prefer wolf over him.
Ok no problem

I just thought you were saying R.O.B and wolf are on the edge of danger of cut.

I mean R.O.B is not even close.

And wolf only needs a couple of move changes to be 100% unquie. (Barrier is the only 1 thats indentical that i know of.)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If the trophy theory is correct, then I believe this could be the final roster.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I feel like the most likely scenario is that the roster will be 47 characters + a Random box. However, the fact that 52 boxes could fit might very well be indicative of what's to come, I believe. Assuming they do downloadable content (which seems very likely given how much they are choosing to milk this game), it's doubtful there would be more than four or five characters released as each one would be several weeks worth of work. I'd lean toward four as being the magic number of DLC characters we should expect, since then the roster would expand by just enough to maintain its shape and fill in what space is left from the 48 slot version. My guess is we would get Captain Toad (to promote what would by that time be the new "Captain Toad" game), Mewtwo, Lucas, and perhaps Ridley (?). Also, since everyone else was trying their hand at creating mock-ups of what they think the roster will look like, here's my version (blue=starting, red=unlockable):
View attachment 16448
I have my doubts that Wolf will be included, but I have trouble believing there are anymore non-DLC newcomers beyond Chrom and the Chorus Kids, so for the sake of not having a "?" square stuck in here for a potential currently unknown character, I left him on the roster. If he does stay, I do so hope they make him better and less of a clone. If my doubts turn out to be warranted and he is gone, then I would assume Ness goes where Wolf is and the mystery newcomer will go in the Zelda-Kirby row, likely on either side of Villager and representing a series by themself. Or I suppose it could be Bandana Waddle Dee, but that seems quite farfetched.
Not sure if anyone was at all interested in my previous post, but I decided to create an updated version of the roster image I posted to demonstrate the capacity for DLC as I described. In doing so I noticed that my theory would only allow for one series on each row to get an additional character (assuming they place the DLC characters next to the others from their series). This means that where I previously suggested Ridley as potential DLC, I instead had to choose a character that would fit into the bottom row, so I went with Takamaru. Here is the result, the four DLC characters having green borders:
SSB3DSWiiURosterDLCPossibility.png

I feel like this would make a lot of sense marketing-wise, too, as they could release two character packs, each featuring a veteran and a newcomer. The first could have Captain Toad and Mewtwo, the second Takamaru and Lucas.

I really hope they take advantage of the possibility of DLC, seeing this final roster with the additional four characters I am very pleased with it. Sure, no Ridley and K. Rool disappoints me, too, but with all of these characters I wouldn't be complaining after about five minutes with the game.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
They're not going to use the bottom screen for additional characters, as that details what characters each player has selected, and the CSS scrolling is utterly unacceptable from a design standpoint. The UI needs to be at least somewhat unified across both platforms, though not to the absurdity that is Metro, for instance. SSB3DS will resemble SSBWU interface-wise, just retailored toward the smaller size. This suggests 47 + Random.
You're such a downer.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The good news is, the demo of the 3DS version could barely fit three CPU markers on the Random button, meaning it couldn't viably get much smaller. That heavily increases the odds of the character screen being scrollable in the 3DS version, and since one only person is playing per 3DS, it wouldn't be a problem.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
They're not going to use the bottom screen for additional characters, as that details what characters each player has selected, and the CSS scrolling is utterly unacceptable from a design standpoint. The UI needs to be at least somewhat unified across both platforms, though not to the absurdity that is Metro, for instance. SSB3DS will resemble SSBWU interface-wise, just retailored toward the smaller size. This suggests 47 + Random.
#1 The select screens being "somewhat unified" across both platforms is a non-existent point that you've just made up. They are separate games.
#2 Nothing suggests 47+ random at all.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
You're such a downer.
Sorry brah, just the way things are I guess.

#1 The select screens being "somewhat unified" across both platforms is a non-existent point that you've just made up. They are separate games.
#2 Nothing suggests 47+ random at all.
3DS Revised Placement Roster.png

3DS CSS begins where the second Mario is. The player tokens may shrink as well to accommodate the smaller box size. Ignore the purple boxes on the right, that's for something else. Presumably, the portraits will be rectangular, much as they are in the WiiU version, so the aspect ratio will make a bit more sense. The 47 + Random would fit rather nicely and cleanly on the top screen.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That roster means absolutely nothing, especially since this entire topic had people trying to figure it out based on where each character is, that roster has characters in completely wrong order.

Icons don't shrink, there is more suggesting 51 then there is 47.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Icons most assuredly do shrink, we have evidence of that from Brawl. As far as the order, I've actually gone ahead and revised it using the 3DS demo CSS and the WiiU demo CSS as reference:

Smash 4 Placement Roster.png

Again, placement is tentative at best, but based off of the screenshots I've gotten, this is about the best I can envision it. The order is actually fairly strange when you look at it all, though it seems the most prominent characters are in the uppermost row and leftmost column(while this makes sense for the most part, it could bring one to question why Pikachu is in the bottom-right just above random, and why is Pokemon's order reversed?).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Icons most assuredly do shrink, we have evidence of that from Brawl. As far as the order, I've actually gone ahead and revised it using the 3DS demo CSS and the WiiU demo CSS as reference:

View attachment 16508

Again, placement is tentative at best, but based off of the screenshots I've gotten, this is about the best I can envision it. The order is actually fairly strange when you look at it all, though it seems the most prominent characters are in the uppermost row and leftmost column(while this makes sense for the most part, it could bring one to question why Pikachu is in the bottom-right just above random, and why is Pokemon's order reversed?).
Icons shrink just fine. The problem is on the 3DS, the size of the icons right now can barely hold three cursors let alone four. They can't really get any smaller on the 3DS. On the Wii U, no big deal, much bigger screen, but the 3DS will have to scroll just to get the characters we have now.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Icons shrink just fine. The problem is on the 3DS, the size of the icons right now can barely hold three cursors let alone four. They can't really get any smaller on the 3DS. On the Wii U, no big deal, much bigger screen, but the 3DS will have to scroll just to get the characters we have now.
I speculate that the selection icons may shrink as well. For instance, rather than including numbers and text within the circle(1P, CP, etc), it would just be the color of the player in particular(1P would be a red 'chip', 2P blue, CP would be gray). This allows for a more compact UI(necessary for the 3DS screen) that doesn't deviate from the main look of the WiiU version without losing any information.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Icons don't shrink, there is more suggesting 51 then there is 47.
Both of those statements are the exact opposite of the truth, at least based on all credible evidence we have to go on right now.

View attachment 16508

A couple of things I'd like to point out, things I gathered when making my roster mock-up: There is a very good chance Pac-Man will be to the left of Mega Man, as in the reverse order that they were added to the series. On a slightly less speculative note, the Kirby characters are probably going to be arranged in the same order as the Pokémon, with Kirby on the rightmost side. To answer your question about why Pikachu and friends were put in that order, it's so that if you're viewing the roster from right-to-left or left-to-right, either way you will start with important characters. Also, it is likely more realistic to put Mii Fighters immediately next to the Random slot since they will be unavailable in random online matches, meaning they probably will disappear from the select screen altogether and having them there would cause the least change if they were removed. Just some friendly advice to help you out on your quest to create the ultimate roster mock-up!

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Both of those statements are the exact opposite of the truth, at least based on all credible evidence we have to go on right now.

A couple of things I'd like to point out, things I gathered when making my roster mock-up: There is a very good chance Pac-Man will be to the left of Mega Man, as in the reverse order that they were added to the series. On a slightly less speculative note, the Kirby characters are probably going to be arranged in the same order as the Pokémon, with Kirby on the rightmost side. To answer your question about why Pikachu and friends were put in that order, it's so that if you're viewing the roster from right-to-left or left-to-right, either way you will start with important characters. Also, it is likely more realistic to put Mii Fighters immediately next to the Random slot since they will be unavailable in random online matches, meaning they probably will disappear from the select screen altogether and having them there would cause the least change if they were removed. Just some friendly advice to help you out on your quest to create the ultimate roster mock-up!
Valid points for the most part, but I see the Mii Fighter icon dimming(or being otherwise altered) rather than disappearing, to suggest they're not playable in that mode. You are right though in that it makes a bit more sense to set them near Random so it's not just an oddball block in the middle of the roster that's different from the rest. I just kind of think it's awkward to have them after the third-parties considering they're a first-party creation.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm pretty sure the 3DS version will scroll, they wouldn't need to fit multiple chips though. Cause you'd just have to look t the lower screen to see whom your opponents chose.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure the 3DS version will scroll, they wouldn't need to fit multiple chips though. Cause you'd just have to look t the lower screen to see whom your opponents chose.
You'd need to in order to pick CPU opponents for practice/offline brawls. With 47 + Random, there's no need for a scroll, not to mention it'd look rather poor anyway.

Also have another revision, woo!

Smash 4 Placement Roster.png

Maybe most of the secret characters will push outward from the middle. Still begs the question why Pikachu is so low in the screen. Were it not for Yoshi's forced placement above, we could have O8/O12s on the outer border, which would be a neat aesthetic.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
You'd need to in order to pick CPU opponents for practice/offline brawls. With 47 + Random, there's no need for a scroll, not to mention it'd look rather poor anyway.

Also have another revision, woo!

View attachment 16510

Maybe most of the secret characters will push outward from the middle. Still begs the question why Pikachu is so low in the screen. Were it not for Yoshi's forced placement above, we could have O8/O12s on the outer border, which would be a neat aesthetic.
What happened to only Chrom being the final newcomer?

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
It's really doubtful that they would change the mechanics of the select screen as you unlock characters in as big of a way as no longer using selction "chips," so really the do need to be able to fit multiple "chips." However, yeah, you're likely correct about the scrolling thing.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It's really doubtful that they would change the mechanics of the select screen as you unlock characters in as big of a way as no longer using selction "chips," so really the do need to be able to fit multiple "chips." However, yeah, you're likely correct about the scrolling thing.
I forgot about CPUs, jeez.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
What happened to only Chrom being the final newcomer?
E3 proved me wrong, much to my surprise. But then I didn't believe the Gematsu leak(given that it was mostly anime waifu-types on it, come on, Chrom, Palutena, and Shulk? Barf. Chorus Men look neat though). With a Rhythm Heaven enemy confirmed in Smash Run, Gematsu's basically gospel now.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I forgot about CPUs, jeez.
No worries, just trying to bounce ideas off of each other so we can crack the secrets of the roster open! Think of our critiques as healthy, friendly criticism (even if it doesn't sound like it, sometimes).

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I was talking about the select icons, not the player icon.

And you have to remember that there are characters not on the leak who have been hinted at, specifically Ridley who shadow proves him to be about the same size as Bowser.

And to a lesser extent, Kremlings in Smash Run and the possibility of a Chunky Kong assist trophy hinting at K Rool (or at least proving that he hasn't been forgotten)

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

And you have to remember that there are characters not on the leak who have been hinted at, specifically Ridley who shadow proves him to be about the same size as Bowser.

And to a lesser extent, Kremlings in Smash Run and the possibility of a Chunky Kong assist trophy hinting at K Rool (or at least proving that he hasn't been forgotten)
Chunky Kong assist!? Is there a pic or video footage?

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Ah, sorry, my mistake.

I'd say the DKC content more celebrates what are arguably DK's best games than it makes any substantial statements about K. Rool's likelihood. As for Ridley, you do have a point. If it weren't for the Gematsu leak I'd be pretty certain he was playable, but it's just hard for me to believe the leaker, in his second leak, would choose to reveal every remaining character except the biggest (no pun intended) addition he hadn't previously mentioned, and then continue to not mention him in his third message to Sal. And as for the gameplay footage of Ridley, while his size may be something that understandably gives Ridley supporters hope, there's also the fact that he was hovering in the air and then grabbed Pikachu in a manner which no playable character has before, meaning either he has a unique hovering and grab mechanic, or he is something other than a playable character.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ah, sorry, my mistake.

I'd say the DKC content more celebrates what are arguably DK's best games than it makes any substantial statements about K. Rool's likelihood. As for Ridley, you do have a point. If it weren't for the Gematsu leak I'd be pretty certain he was playable, but it's just hard for me to believe the leaker, in his second leak, would choose to reveal every remaining character except the biggest (no pun intended) addition he hadn't previously mentioned, and then continue to not mention him in his third message to Sal. And as for the gameplay footage of Ridley, while his size may be something that understandably gives Ridley supporters hope, there's also the fact that he was hovering in the air and then grabbed Pikachu in a manner which no playable character has before, meaning either he has a unique hovering and grab mechanic, or he is something other than a playable character.
Ridley didn't grab Pikachu, we're pretty sure of that now; "Pikachu" is actually just Ridley's leg getting in the way (if you look at the GIF you can tell Ridley isn't grabbing anything). Plus, he "jumps" at the end of that footage. Its hard to tell watching the video as it goes by too quickly, but you can easily tell in the GIF, and Ridley also appears to go into his hover after doing what appears to be a side special.

Hover mechanics are nothing new, so an aerial-based Ridley who can hover isn't particularly new either. (Having hovering and multi-jumps would be new, though, but he definitely jumps in the GIF.)

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Ah, sorry, my mistake.

On the note of Ridley not being mentioned, its possible and indeed, very likely Sals source is in marketing. Meaning every newcomer he has said would be a promoted part of the game (so a starter, or third party). Its possible he doesn't know of any hidden characters since they wouldnt be advertised. Brawl after all only had 4 hidden newcomers (not including 3rd party and including Tink) so its possible the amount of newcomers hidden is very low.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
On the note of Ridley not being mentioned, its possible and indeed, very likely Sals source is in marketing. Meaning every newcomer he has said would be a promoted part of the game (so a starter, or third party). Its possible he doesn't know of any hidden characters since they wouldnt be advertised. Brawl after all only had 4 hidden newcomers (not including 3rd party and including Tink) so its possible the amount of newcomers hidden is very low.
I completely agree. Although we probably only have one direct left until Japanese release.

Maybe Shulk & Chrom in August and Chorus Men right before release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom