• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Except that those Hype 3 aren't actually that hype inducing for the general public, Mewtwo would be the only on i'd agree with, but that could apply to many Pokémon, with the only reason of Mewtwo standing out being that he is a veteran. Ridley isn't even that desired outside some fans, this site makes it seem like Ridley is such a popular choice but it really isn't, same with K. Rool but to a lesser extent. The point is that those 3 characters don't make or break the game for most people.
Most of the characters in this roster other than Mii, Pac-Man, and Mega Man don't, in fact, they bring far less hype than Ridley and K. Rool would. Your point is?

K. Rool and Ridley are two of the most requested characters to be added and Mewtwo is the most requested veteran. And even for people not hyped about Ridley, a lot of people would like him just for his appearance.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Even if you consider them to be 3 separate characters they will only take up one roster slot. If this roster is to indeed have 51 slots, then the amount of characters one of those slots represents is irrelevant.
Even if they only took one roster slot, they still took the time of development of 3 characters. Who cares about roster?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
While what you're saying is true to some extent, I can imagine a lot of people being excited as they unlock a playable dragon. I think a lot of people that weren't hyped for Ridley would get hyped because of this fact. Not many fighting games straight up let you play as a dragon for a fighter.
Yes that's true ,but my point is that not having him in the game wouldn't lead anyone to dismiss this game.

Most of the characters in this roster other than Mii, Pac-Man, and Mega Man don't, in fact, they bring far less hype than Ridley and K. Rool would. Your point is?

K. Rool and Ridley are two of the most requested characters to be added and Mewtwo is the most requested veteran. And even for people not hyped about Ridley, a lot of people would like him just for his appearance.
But my point is that not having them in the roster wouldn't really affect these games sales, of course i and many people want them in the roster, but most of those people are already smash bros fans, and i really don't think someone would decide to just dismiss this game just because their favorite newcomer didn't make it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Except that those Hype 3 aren't actually that hype inducing for the general public, Mewtwo would be the only on i'd agree with, but that could apply to many Pokémon, with the only reason of Mewtwo standing out being that he is a veteran. Ridley isn't even that desired outside some fans, this site makes it seem like Ridley is such a popular choice but it really isn't, same with K. Rool but to a lesser extent. The point is that those 3 characters don't make or break the game for most people.
I take it you haven't seen the Melee reveal video where when the crowd thought Ridley was in, they went nuts.

But my point is that not having them in the roster wouldn't really affect these games sales, of course i and many people want them in the roster, but most of those people are already smash bros fans, and i really don't think someone would decide to just dismiss this game just because their favorite newcomer didn't make it in.
I'd pretty much say that no character Nintendo owns that isn't already included would lead anyone to buy the game.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I take it you haven't seen the Melee reveal video where when the crowd thought Ridley was in, they went nuts.

I'd pretty much say that no character Nintendo owns that isn't already included would lead anyone to buy the game.
Actually the crowd went nuts because of Nintendo showing some love to Metroid, wich at the time hadn't seen a new game since Super Metroid, so people were happy that Nintendo still cared for the franchise. In fact pretty much every scene with Samus in it had the same reaction.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Yes, the proportions will probably be tweaked for the final roster.

That doesn't change the fact that the demo character select screen gives us some idea of what roster size to expect.

I think people are absolutely wrong to say that 47 is it, end of discussion. There are more possibilities than that.

But 60 characters? That seems basically impossible. More than 52 seems pretty unlikely too. And if DLC really is a possibility, then there has to be room for adding characters... which means that the roster at launch can't be filled to the brim, which it would be in a 56+ character scenario.

Interestingly enough, the character select screen options suggest a roster size just about within the range I expected anyway: 47 to 54 (the latter counting Mii Fighters as 3).

The nice thing, at least, is that at this point I think 47 is the absolute minimum roster size, when before I had thought there was a slight chance it could be smaller. We'd need to really get some deep cuts from Brawl for that to happen now.
They still take up one slot on the roster, though. Hell, they might not even take a slot on the roster at all.
Exactly.

When I'm counting characters in the game, I'll count them as three. But Melee and Brawl both had more characters than character select screen boxes.

And with the Mii Fighters it's still ambiguous how they'll be represented on the character select screen. Which is what's relevant for this thread.
But on a 13x4, there's ample room for K. Rool and Ridley, and it fits like a dream.

Here are a few concepts I mocked up for 13x4 rosters:
http://imgur.com/a/cbIvM

I think the second one fits the best personally, as everything is tidy.
Top Row: Mario (5), Psuedo Mario (2), DK (3), Metroid (3).
Row 2: Zelda (5), Animal Crossing (1), Mother (2), Kid Icarus (2), Kirby (3)
Row 3: Star Fox (3), Fire Emblem (3), Pokemon (7)
Bottom Row contains all the series represented by 1 character.
I think Squirtle and Ivysaur returning is very unlikely. And I think 7 Pokemon is also unlikely (possibly, but unlikely). Otherwise it looks pretty realistic while keeping within the ordering of the demo.

Another possibility is that Shulk and/or Chorus Men or some other newcomer could go next to FE, with 5 or 6 Pokemon. Miis could get their own spot or there could be another newcomer.

Either way, I think we can all agree 4x13 is a much better outcome than 4x12. Really, just adding two or three of Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo or Isaac to the Gematsu leak would make the roster satisfy the large majority of Smash fans. The Gematsu+Rosalina roster really is so close, but they're just lacking that one or two more fan favorites to put it over the top.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
@ Erimir Erimir I think either Squirtle and Ivysaur will return, or Mewtwo will. Probably not both.

7 Pokemon isn't unreasonable considering we had 6 on Brawl. I certainly don't expect less than 6.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
@ Erimir Erimir I think either Squirtle and Ivysaur will return, or Mewtwo will. Probably not both.

7 Pokemon isn't unreasonable considering we had 6 on Brawl. I certainly don't expect less than 6.
I don't think that we would get two water starters and no grass starter..... I could see Ivysaur returning, but xe would only return if the developers ran out of time.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
If we go with the trend of 13-14 characters being added per game, then a roster of 51 doesn't seem too far off, however, two major issues still bother me with such a prediction:

1. The 3DS isn't all that powerful compared to the Wii U, so being able to fit 51 characters into such a device
may prove to be a daunting task.

2. Sakurai has said that he will most likely be cutting some characters because of time constraints, and,
combined with the fact that no 3D fighting game I know of has ever had such a huge roster without making
a bunch of clones, I believe Sakurai would be hard-pressed to fit this many characters into the game
without DLC being the solution (a good plan-B, IMHO).

51 characters would be an awesome lineup from the get-go, but I see it as a relatively unlikely scenario--unless, of course, I am mistaken in my logic (which is always a possibility!:)).

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The 3DS isn't all that powerful compared to the Wii U, so being able to fit 51 characters into such a device may prove to be a daunting task.
The number of characters is limited by storage, not by processing. And storage is not an issue.

The game only ever has to render and control a maximum of 4 fighters at a time (plus items and stages, of course). The number of playable characters doesn't change that.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
The number of characters is limited by storage, not by processing. And storage is not an issue.

The game only ever has to render and control a maximum of 4 fighters at a time (plus items and stages, of course). The number of playable characters doesn't change that.
That's a cool fact.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Nope, what does affect it is how many characters are on screen at a time, and Ice Climbers were giving the 3DS game some trouble. Without those massive cutscenes the 3DS version should be fine storage wise, as I've heard out of 8 GB in Brawl the cutscenes took up half the space. Hell, without Subspace/cutscenes and a greatly increased development team that may be why we're able to get a much bigger cast this time (granted, I do hope we have some sort of Adventure Mode).

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The cutscenes wouldn't be as massive if included on the 3DS, as they can be reduced to the 3DS's resolution. Even smaller if they don't bother making them work with 3D mode.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
And it's not like there'd be nearly as many or as lengthy of cutscenes in the 3DS version as there was with The Subspace Emmissary.

From what I've heard, 3DS cards can come in sizes from 1-8 GB, although sizes bigger than 2 gigs are almost never used. Pokemon X & Y managed to cram 3D models, with animations, for over 700 mons into a 2 GB card, and with how massively popular Smash is, I could see them being willing to cut into a little potential profit and splurge for 4 GB cards.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Actually the crowd went nuts because of Nintendo showing some love to Metroid.
I love how everyone claims to know exactly what the crowd was thinking, Ridley hype or otherwise. They sure didn't go crazy when Ness was shown, which had gone even longer than Metroid without a game.

The way the "trailer" was set up, it made it seem very likely that characters like Ridley, Wolf, and Samurai Goroh were playable. We don't know if everyone was excited about Ridley or Metroid in general, but my personal belief is the former. There's literally no reason anyone had to believe that Samus would be cut.

Last edited:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been said before, but if the 3DS's advantage to Smash gameplay is that everyone gets their own screen, then the character select screen could have a scroll bar of sorts when all of the characters are unlocked. Therefor, the roster size should not be limited by how many character icons can fit into one static 3DS screen.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I have re-ananlysed the roster based on the information that 3DS roster will scroll.

So thats 6 columns with 8 or nine rows.

First row:
We have mario characters followed by Yoshi instead of the usual DK, probably because they wouldn't fit with the Mario characters, so thats Mario 5 + Yoshi

Second Row:
We get Dk followed by Zelda, So that means there is plenty of room for a third or even forth DK character, however a forth DK character would not work with a third Metroid character on the Wii U roster so I will have three Dk characters. This would be followed by Wario and two more characters. I would think either the two Captains (olimar & Falcon) or two retro characters (Ice Climbers and a newcomer)

Third Row:
Zelda 5, its possible we could get 6 as it works fine on both rosters. But I'll put Shulk here since both have sword combat with big open worlds.

Forth Row:
We have Samus followed by Pit, 3 Metroid characters. Now while 6 Zelda characters does work on both, so does 3 Kid Icarus characters, I would almost say it works better. For now, I will just have Chibi Robo since I doubt 6 Zelda characters and I really don't want a Third Kid Icarus rep, just of it as one or the other.

Fifth Row:
Marth followed by Kirby, One of the reasons a Third Kid Icaurus rep is more likely then a new Zelda rep, why wouldn't they put Star Fox with the other franchise with three reps when it would look nicer to have the these 4 three reps series together, unless KI does have 3 reps. But for now, I'll just put in Chibi.

Sixth Row:
Little Mac before Fox? I think that the two captains or two retros will go before Mac and have Star Fox three finish the row.

Seventh Row:
Pokemon 5, Mewtwo doesn't fit on Wii U roster. All the more traditional styled rpgs were together in Brawl so it isn't much of a stretch they will do the same on the Wii U roster, especially since we already have FE and Pkmn together. I'll put Ness here for being Rpg

Eight Row:
Chorus Men would go well with Villager and Wii Fit Trainer as they are more casual series and then after that we have R.O.B., G&W and Mii who would work perfectly after them.

Ninth Row:
Third Party with random.

Basically this is what I got. This roster works on both Wii U and 3DS rosters and with the exception of Chibi who is probably another KI rep, is what I expect.

If we had 48 slots would look off, as we would have to remove 4 different characters who would most likely be Takamaru (maybe move R.O.B.?), K Rool (Chorus Men could go next to Wario?), Chibi (I've got nothing) and Wolf(Maybe Ice Clibers could go next to Chorus Men and Have the two captains down here?) or Ridley (Why didn't Gemastu mention if he was the only newcomer left?, How would Wii U roster look?)

Can someone actuall see if they can design a 48 character Wii U and 3DS roster that keeps the characters in the same order as they are on the demo screen, Wii U being 4 x 12 and 3DS being 6 x 8?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I love how everyone claims to know exactly what the crowd was thinking, Ridley hype or otherwise. They sure didn't go crazy when Ness was shown, which had gone even longer than Metroid without a game.

The way the "trailer" was set up, it made it seem very likely that characters like Ridley, Wolf, and Samurai Goroh were playable. We don't know if everyone was excited about Ridley or Metroid in general, but my personal belief is the former. There's literally no reason anyone had to believe that Samus would be cut.
Except for 3 things:
  1. Metroid is a much more beloved franchise in the west than mother has ever been, in fact Earthbound didn't become a culture classic until much later.
  2. During the second part of the trailer, when they show all the playable characters up to that point, you can clearly hear the crowd reacting the same crazy way when Samus alone is shown.
  3. Back then people didn't even think of a sequel to Smash Bros., so many people wouldn't be sure if the game was even going to have a sequel, so of course that trailer caught them off guard. This means that when Samus was shown, it showed that metroid had not been forgotten since we literally didn't see any Metroid at all during the 64 era.
Honestly as much as much as i support Ridley, he wasn't that popular of a character for people to think he would be a playable character as he is now. In fact Smash character speculation didn't become a thing until Brawl was first announced.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
So I have re-ananlysed the roster based on the information that 3DS roster will scroll.

So thats 6 columns with 8 or nine rows.

First row:
We have mario characters followed by Yoshi instead of the usual DK, probably because they wouldn't fit with the Mario characters, so thats Mario 5 + Yoshi

Second Row:
We get Dk followed by Zelda, So that means there is plenty of room for a third or even forth DK character, however a forth DK character would not work with a third Metroid character on the Wii U roster so I will have three Dk characters. This would be followed by Wario and two more characters. I would think either the two Captains (olimar & Falcon) or two retro characters (Ice Climbers and a newcomer)

Third Row:
Zelda 5, its possible we could get 6 as it works fine on both rosters. But I'll put Shulk here since both have sword combat with big open worlds.

Forth Row:
We have Samus followed by Pit, 3 Metroid characters. Now while 6 Zelda characters does work on both, so does 3 Kid Icarus characters, I would almost say it works better. For now, I will just have Chibi Robo since I doubt 6 Zelda characters and I really don't want a Third Kid Icarus rep, just of it as one or the other.

Fifth Row:
Marth followed by Kirby, One of the reasons a Third Kid Icaurus rep is more likely then a new Zelda rep, why wouldn't they put Star Fox with the other franchise with three reps when it would look nicer to have the these 4 three reps series together, unless KI does have 3 reps. But for now, I'll just put in Chibi.

Sixth Row:
Little Mac before Fox? I think that the two captains or two retros will go before Mac and have Star Fox three finish the row.

Seventh Row:
Pokemon 5, Mewtwo doesn't fit on Wii U roster. All the more traditional styled rpgs were together in Brawl so it isn't much of a stretch they will do the same on the Wii U roster, especially since we already have FE and Pkmn together. I'll put Ness here for being Rpg

Eight Row:
Chorus Men would go well with Villager and Wii Fit Trainer as they are more casual series and then after that we have R.O.B., G&W and Mii who would work perfectly after them.

Ninth Row:
Third Party with random.

Basically this is what I got. This roster works on both Wii U and 3DS rosters and with the exception of Chibi who is probably another KI rep, is what I expect.

If we had 48 slots would look off, as we would have to remove 4 different characters who would most likely be Takamaru (maybe move R.O.B.?), K Rool (Chorus Men could go next to Wario?), Chibi (I've got nothing) and Wolf(Maybe Ice Clibers could go next to Chorus Men and Have the two captains down here?) or Ridley (Why didn't Gemastu mention if he was the only newcomer left?, How would Wii U roster look?)

Can someone actuall see if they can design a 48 character Wii U and 3DS roster that keeps the characters in the same order as they are on the demo screen, Wii U being 4 x 12 and 3DS being 6 x 8?
I was able to do it, but I wouldn't be satisfied with this roster, unless there would be a lot of DLC to make up for it. I had to leave out the hype 3 (K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Ridley). Of course, replace Rhythm Heaven Girl with Chorus Men. Here they are:

3DS:

Wii U:

If all of the Gematsu characters are in the game, it is impossible to make a 47 character roster with any of the hype 3 without first cutting an important Brawl veteran (that isn't already cut in this list). But, if there are no cuts from these veterans, then the outcome is that there would be no DK newcomer, which would seem quite odd to me and would be disappointing in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I see

*Still stubborn*

However, Ill take their word for it....
im not gonna say it ether way but i can see them taking up one tile instead of three its been done before although not in the same vain but there is a small precedence

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
im not gonna say it ether way but i can see them taking up one tile instead of three its been done before although not in the same vain but there is a small precedence
Yeah, besides, I wouldnt want the Miis to take up 3 tiles on the roster, that would leave less room for some Newcomers/Characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Whether the Miis take up 1 tile or 3, it doesn't make a difference in "room" available.
What determines "room" is development time. And even then, development time doesn't account for Sakurai's decision-making.
If a character misses out, it's most likely because Sakurai never intended on having them in the first place.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMseKXLk0zA#t=1378

They represent 3 different playstyles, but they take up "one tile".
I would use this time instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMseKXLk0zA#t=1362

That gives better context to what he's saying. He was looking at it on screen, with tiles. Doesn't sound like he's looking at a simple list (like from marketing materials). So it's not really clear what "tiles" he's referring to. But the website uses tiles as well.

Pretty much the only way what he says makes sense is if the Treehouse has both the demo that they're playing, but also some other incomplete build which only shows the roster revealed on the website. I doubt they're keeping a demo build around that only allows access to the characters revealed so far, so it's much much more likely he was just looking at the Smash Bros website.

On the Smash Bros website, the Mii Fighters only have one tile.

The other way it could make sense is if he had some character selection screen up which has Mii Fighters on it, and he was counting up the ones he knew to be revealed... But the much simpler explanation is that he was just talking about the website.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Definitely. It's still possible, but I'm just not sure that the Treehouse people have full knowledge of the game. I'm sure they had access to the demo for a while before E3, so they could get some practice and learn about the characters. But they didn't really need to know anything beyond the currently revealed roster. They had a lot of time to fill with chatter, making it more likely someone would slip up.

Maybe at some point Sakurai will show up how you go about selecting your Mii Fighter without showing the full CSS... I can hope, right?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Definitely. It's still possible, but I'm just not sure that the Treehouse people have full knowledge of the game. I'm sure they had access to the demo for a while before E3, so they could get some practice and learn about the characters. But they didn't really need to know anything beyond the currently revealed roster. They had a lot of time to fill with chatter, making it more likely someone would slip up.

Maybe at some point Sakurai will show up how you go about selecting your Mii Fighter without showing the full CSS... I can hope, right?
The Treehouse people had a demo build with UNANNOUNCED characters in it at E3. They specifically said this. So yeah, they probably know full well how the Mii's are selected.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The Treehouse people had a demo build with UNANNOUNCED characters in it at E3. They specifically said this. So yeah, they probably know full well how the Mii's are selected.
I guess I missed that part of it. Do you have a link for that?

It was kinda hard to pay attention to everything they said.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess I missed that part of it. Do you have a link for that?

It was kinda hard to pay attention to everything they said.
No I don't have a link, I don't know exactly where it was said in the Treehouse. But I clearly heard it and it was mentioned elsewhere on various news announcements.

EDIT:
http://youtu.be/edCQDRuL8Dk?t=10m7s

Found it. Its just after this point in the video. He says he's leaning towards some characters unannounced, and then indicates that they can now play as Pac-Man in the office (presumably the backroom at E3). They'd have no reason to keep secrets like this at Nintendo or Namco HQ or whatever, but he clearly indicates they have a more updated build at E3 where they are able to play as other unannounced characters.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Alright that makes sense.

I still think what he said is a little ambiguous, but I would lean towards expecting a single-slot selection process. I thought that was more likely anyway.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This is what I've come up with now, Thanks for the contribution.

Wii U

3DS

An explanation copied and pasted from another thread
First of all, No matter how many characters you had in Brawl, The characters would always appear in the same order, this includes the demo roster for brawl, you can check it out yourself.
Second of all, it appears that will be the case once again, otherwise why wouldn't they keep Link and Zelda together.
Third of, insert confirmed characters in where necessary, The Wii U roster will need 4 rows for this, otherwise it would look strange and/or unorganized.
By now you should have 10 characters on top row, Wario would be on this row and with DK and Metroid on this row, K Rool and Ridley fit in perfectly
Now second row, You have 4 Zelda characters, Villager, Pit, Palutena and the two Kirby characters and maybe you put Fox here too. However, Fox would need to start the next row when you place in Ganondorf and Meta Knight bringing that row to 11 meaning there is not enough room for the three Star Fox characters. We could also put in Chorus Men since Animal Crossing and Rhythm Heaven are more casual like games. That leaves one character who is either a Zelda, Kid Icarus or single rep newcomer, I'll explain why later.
Now Third row, Since Pikachu is on Greninjas right, it is a safe bet that Pikachu will end this row. That gives us Fox, Marth, Ike, Greninja Lucario, Charizard and Pikachu. Now put in Falco, Wolf and Jigglypuff along with Chrom. That leaves two characters, if you notice, we have Fire Emblem characters with Pokemon. If you look at Brawl, you can see that all traditional rpgs were together and as FE and Pkmn are next to each other once again, we can put in Ness and Shulk completing the row.
Forth row is pretty much everyone else. Mii, Olimar, Capt. Falcon, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, G&W, R.O.B., Third Party 3, Random. Thats room for one more character who I believe is Takamaru but this could be anyone.
Now, we know the 3DS demo as well so we need to see if they can work together, they do.
If you look at the size of the character puck, it takes up about one quarter of a character icon, so this means if they were to shrink, there would not be room for them to shrink down. This means that this roster will scroll and it will most likely scroll down, otherwise it would have the same layout as the Wii U roster.
This means 6 columns.
First Row, We have Mario characters then Yoshi, traditionally Yoshi is after DK so this means the DK characters would not fit on top row further cementing 6 columns. So Mario 5 + Yoshi
Second Row, Dk characters, Wario would also likely go here. This leaves space for two characters, I personally believe would be either the two Capt.s or two retro characters. I originally thought the two capt. but two retro characters I think fit better.
Third Row, Zelda 5. This leaves room for one more who I think is Shulk but it could be a Zelda newcomer.
Forth and Fifth Row, This is why I think a third Kid Icarus character is more likely, we have Metroid followed by FE followed by Kirby, If Kid Icarus had two reps, the character roster would look far better if it had Star Fox among these. So basically I think the forth row will be Samus, Zero Suit, Ridley, Pit, Palutena, hopefully Hades but maybe Dark Pit or Medusa. Fifth Row is FE 3 and Kirby 3.
Sixth row oddly has Little Mac before Fox, this is why I think the two Capt.s will go because Olimar and Capt. Falcon are better fits for beginning a row then Ice Climbers. So Olimar, Falcon, Mac, Fox, Falco, Wolf
Seventh Row, Pokemon 5, Ness would go here for both being turn based rpg games, Shulk was with Zelda since both have big open worlds and has sword combat.
Eighth Row, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are here so Chorus Men is a nice fit. And finishing the Row with Mr Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Mii is a perfect fit since G&W was before the third party characters in Brawl.
Ninth Row would be the third party characters and Random.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I feel like the most likely scenario is that the roster will be 47 characters + a Random box. However, the fact that 52 boxes could fit might very well be indicative of what's to come, I believe. Assuming they do downloadable content (which seems very likely given how much they are choosing to milk this game), it's doubtful there would be more than four or five characters released as each one would be several weeks worth of work. I'd lean toward four as being the magic number of DLC characters we should expect, since then the roster would expand by just enough to maintain its shape and fill in what space is left from the 48 slot version. My guess is we would get Captain Toad (to promote what would by that time be the new "Captain Toad" game), Mewtwo, Lucas, and perhaps Ridley (?). Also, since everyone else was trying their hand at creating mock-ups of what they think the roster will look like, here's my version (blue=starting, red=unlockable):
SSB3DSWiiURosterWolf.png

I have my doubts that Wolf will be included, but I have trouble believing there are anymore non-DLC newcomers beyond Chrom and the Chorus Kids, so for the sake of not having a "?" square stuck in here for a potential currently unknown character, I left him on the roster. If he does stay, I do so hope they make him better and less of a clone. If my doubts turn out to be warranted and he is gone, then I would assume Ness goes where Wolf is and the mystery newcomer will go in the Zelda-Kirby row, likely on either side of Villager and representing a series by themself. Or I suppose it could be Bandana Waddle Dee, but that seems quite farfetched.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I think I have a counterpoint. Do you have time to spare? Because when I get invested in something, I write walls. >_>

Wii U:

-First row is pretty clear cut. Main Mario characters, then secondary ones, then Metroid. Ridley's still very much up in the air, so if he doesn't make it, Captain Falcon could go up there instead. We know they've been willing to put characters in odd places before; in Brawl, G-Dub ended up in the far right column with the third party characters. K. Rool, though, may actually be pretty likely. More on that in a bit.
-Second row is mostly as expected: Zelda characters, Villager, Kid Icarus, then Kirby. Then it gets complicated, though. Oddball standouts Ness and the Chorus Men felt the best here...and it doesn't mean all the RPG characters'll be together this time just because Ness and Lucas were with the Fire Emblem characters in Brawl, more that both franchises had 2 reps and it was the best place to put them. There's still some room to maneuver, though. If we do get a third KI rep like you're suspecting, they could go next to Palutena, booting Ness or the Chorus Men to the fourth row and Captain Falcon elsewhere. If Isaac or Robin don't make it, he can go on the third after all.
-Here's the first major curveball. The Star Fox franchise was in the doldrums up until last week, and since the new game's in early development, it wouldn't have been a thing when the roster was being decided on. It wouldn't be a stretch to say it'd only have 2 reps this time around, with Wolf leaving and the more prominent Falco sticking around and getting some moveset tweaks to differentiate him even more from Fox...and Fire Emblem, more popular than ever and on the heels of Awakening being a massive hit that the devs would've been able to see as it released in Japan in April 2012, gets 4! It's not as much of a stretch as it looks at first, and I'll argue Robin's case below. Meanwhile, fellow RPG swordsmen Shulk and Isaac join them as they fit better here than anywhere else, followed by the Pokemon characters.
-Olimar begins the fourth row, which starts with several characters from single-rep franchises...although the Captain, Ness, and the Chorus Men could be used to plug in gaps somewhere. Following Little Mac and Miss Fit are the throwback characters. Call it a bit of a stretch, but I could maybe see one more throwback added in a roster of 51. If it'd be a chance to revive an old franchise like what Sakurai did with Pit, Takamaru--who got a minigame in Nintendo Land--may get the call. Mr. Game & Watch may get used as a stopgap somewhere, but this is a viable enough place for him. And then we have the third party characters, and the Mii Fighters in a visible spot at the very end.

3DS:

-First row is pretty predictable. Nothing fancy here.
-The second row is where it gets interesting. Secondary Mario characters and a couple single-rep franchises to plug the gap, since there's no possible way Zelda's likely 5 reps would fit. And things could get really awkward up there...that is, unless there were to be a secondary Mario-verse newcomer.
-Zelda reps plus one in the third row. Admittedly, Olimar, Captain Falcon, and Ness are pretty interchangeable here. Maybe G-Dub could get called on to plug another gap like in Brawl, even.
-Metroid, Kid Icarus, and an extra. If Ridley is just a boss hazard, another solo rep could get added here...or maybe that third KI rep you're speculating on. If that rep and Ridley are in, the Chorus Men get shunted further down. Maybe Ness could end up at the end of this row instead, a tagalong to the next row.
-Putting nearly all the potential RPG heroes together works really well for the fourth row.
-Row 5 is a bit of a logjam when you consider Little Mac. But it's pretty plausible to have him on his own if Nintendo doesn't consider Little Mac to be a throwback any more. And after Punch-Out on the Wii, it could very well be the case.
-Almost all Pokemon in Row 6, plus the Villager, a solo rep who was next in the queue.
-Second last row, and the Wii Fit Trainer and the Mii Fighters (in a very easy-to-see location, again) flank the throwback characters. Maybe Miss Fit ends up next to the Miis instead. Hard to say just yet.
-And at the very bottom, of course, is the third party characters and the Random button. There's even room for a DLC button to show up!

Cut:

-Squirtle, Ivysaur: Basically gone now that Charizard is on his own, Red's gimmick no longer exists, and Greninja is around to take Squirtle's niche as a water-user.

-Snake: If we've heard nothing still about him despite all the noise over Pac-Man, he's probably gone. Besides, wasn't there talk that Hideo Kojima wanted to "retire" the character after his Japanese VA passed away?

-Lucas: According to Sal's source, one of the Mother kids is gone, and Lucas is more likely. They've been on the money about what they've revealed so far. Gematsu aside, if Lucas was mainly in to promote Mother 3, which came out--in Japan only--during Brawl's development, he'd be more likely to be seen as a one-off the way Roy was.

-Wolf: The riskiest call here. But with Star Fox left to collect dust for 8 years, the drought not ending in time for the roster to be finalized, and his existence as a half-clone for a character who already had a half-clone? It's plausible.

(He might show up later, though; keep reading.)

On the Bubble (In):

On the Bubble (Out):

-Jigglypuff, Mewtwo: This one was tough to call. Based on stories that make the rounds every now and then, Mewtwo was one of the Forbidden 7, planned at one point to be in Brawl but cut for time, while Jiggs might've been added on solely because she was easy to program. With a moveset based mostly on being round and floaty while every other Pokemon on the roster has numerous moves that fit its typing, Jigglypuff feels increasingly generic (and being part Normal doesn't justify it >_>).

However...

I've heard recently that Jiggs is really popular in Japan. As in, to them what Captain Falcon is to the West. If that's true, and the devs are as hesitant to make cuts as they were in Brawl...

My gut tells me Jigglypuff will get the nod, but her moveset will be revamped to include more Fairy-type and sound-based moves. They've given Pit and Bowser overhauls, so it's not out of the question.

Even still, it's probably a coin toss between the two of them.

-Ridley: Depends entirely on the nature of that glimpse of him in the Pyrosphere. In the next couple months, we might have him revealed to be an assist trophy or a boss hazard as the Internet explodes and Sakurai sits back with a trollface, or revealed to be playable all along...as the Internet explodes and Sakurai sits back with a trollface. >_>

-King K. Rool, Dixie Kong: Okay, so based on the 3DS version's second row, we know that with a 51 character roster, the odds favor a newcomer from a secondary Mario-verse game. Dixie was one of the Forbidden 7...but, she might feel too similar to Diddy, while K. Rool is one of the most requested newcomers, has a lot of appearances to take moves from, could be a new villain character and a new super-heavyweight, and since it's been almost 15 years since he's been in a main-series game, he'd even be a throwback character in a way.

It depends on whether the devs want to draw from Brawl's cut list or go with a more unique character. And the fact that Kremlings show up in Smash Run could mean something...

-Bandana Dee: This guy is no mere mook. Ever since Kirby's Return to Dream Land, he's had increasing prominence. In Kirby Super Star Ultra, he was retconned into The Arena and given a prominent role in new mode Revenge of the King, as Dedede's right hand man and the sole spectator of his grudge match with Kirby. Kirby Triple Deluxe has him assist Kirby in a couple different ways...while Meta Knight himself doesn't even appear. Promotional materials show him right alongside Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, meaning the franchise itself has started treating Bandana Dee as its "fourth main character".

Plus, Smash has yet to have a spear-wielder. And if Sakurai had the chance to further promote a series he helped create...well, I could see him consider it. In fact...well, keep reading.

-Takamaru, Mach Rider: We could see another throwback character still (not a WTF one, though; Miss Fit and the Chorus Men already have that covered), and Takamaru feels like the most likely to throw his katana (Is that a katana?) into the ring. However...Sakurai has said he likes the Mach Rider before, and this might be his chance to act on it.

Or, considering Mega Man and Pac-Man's movesets draw a ton from the '80s, we might not see or need another throwback character at all.

-Ice Climbers, R.O.B: After Lucas, Wolf, and Jiggs, many people have these two flagged as potential cuts. R.O.B. just kind of feels like a one-off. Meanwhile, the Ice Climbers may not have a choice if the devs never found a way to get multiple Nana AIs to work at a time without overtaxing the 3DS' processor. We might get both, one, or neither.

-Isaac: Another popular character, one with a magic bend to his swordplay, and the first to have a primary earth affinity that'd help him stand out. He was an assist trophy in Brawl, but so was Little Mac, and unlike Mac, Isaac also got a music track. All we can do for him is wait.

-Robin: With its newfound rise to prominence and its massive cast of characters, it isn't all that much of a stretch to say that 4 members of a possible roster of 51 could be from Fire Emblem. With Marth, Ike, and Chrom all being pure swordsmen, a fourth rep would need to feel different and unique...at least according to the thought process Sakurai talked about in an interview after Brawl's release.

Enter a character who fights with both weapons and magic in a game with few spellcasters, focuses on the tactical side of combat instead of being as straightforward as the other three, and comes from a very well known game where he is just as much of a main character as Chrom...and arguably more important in Fire Emblem Awakening's final few chapters...and you have a worthy addition to the roster.

And despite what he might look like at first, Robin is no mere self-insert. In fact, he isn't one at all, instead being a fully formed character that fully exists in-universe and has his own personality and ties to the other characters (which eventually becomes very important to the plot), just one likely to match up to someone playing a strategy RPG where character death is permanent. Combine that with the fact that he has a default "canon" appearance and name, and he is no more of a stand in for the player than Link is...and less of one than the already-confirmed Villager.

Robin's alternate colors could even allude to how you can customize his appearance, changing not only the colors of his robes and armor but also his hairstyle, hair color, and even his face. And while I've been calling Robin "he" this whole, time, players can have their version of Robin be female...and since the Wii Fit Trainer and Villager have an alternate costume for the opposite gender, they could do the same in Smash.

And...there might be a hint toward Robin already being in. You know how every stage in the 3DS version only has two themes? Remember how in Melee, most of the "alternate" themes doubled as themes for secret characters? Well, Arena Ferox was in the demo, and one of its themes is called Id (Purpose), and in Awakening, it's one of several versions...of Robin's theme. Remember the trophy quizzes in the April direct? When the first of them was the Fire Emblem character Tiki, the theme they used for the segment was...Id (Purpose). They could've used a different theme from Awakening, they could've used a theme associated with Marth...but they went with Robin's theme. That might count for something.

As you can see, I feel pretty strongly about this, but there are so many valid reasons and so few concerns that aren't addressed somehow that it means Robin is actually very viable. If the roster turns out to be only 47 strong and we get no more newcomers we don't already know about, he (or she) would be Fire Emblem's best choice to be a DLC character.

Which beings me to the next section.

DLC:According to Sal's source, DLC is on the table. All we can do so far is speculate what extent it'll be...but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some characters that didn't make the initial roster that some of the developers still want in, or a few that weren't relevant until after the roster was finalized.

So here's my guess on what they'll do. Two packs of DLC characters will be made, both with four new characters (there may also be stages, items, music, what have you, but this thread isn't about those). DLC characters would be placed together--a drop down menu on the Wii U version, and a button that creates a pop up box on the 3DS version. The first group would come out in the spring of next year, and the second group in the fall. Each character would be released in two week intervals until the entire pack is up for grabs.

So with that in mind:

DLC Group 1 (Spring 2015):

-Bowser Jr.: Odds are, the first DLC character would be a Mario one, and the Koopa Kingdom's crown prince would fit the bill pretty well. His smaller stature compared to his dad and the option to build a moveset around wielding his paintbrush as a weapon would ensure he played differently from the rest of the cast.

-Bandana Dee: I just can't see Sakurai passing him up. Not if there're upwards of 8 DLC spots. I'd be concerned about keeping his moveset from feeling stale since the Spear ability only has so many moves, but it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled from other abilities Kirby doesn't use. Some Parasol stuff, maybe?

-Sceptile: If Pokemon X & Y were only far enough along when they decided on the roster than Greninja was still only concept art, there's no way ORAS was a thing yet. But now Hoenn is finally confirmed and its starters relevant again, Ivysaur's departure leaves a niche for a character with nature powers, and Sceptile just got a shiny new mega form. In fact, I kind of wonder if Sceptile is one of the main reasons they're considering DLC in the first place.

-Veteran Character: Most of the DLC spots will probably go to newcomers, but they might throw a bone to an old, forgotten friend. And what better way to end the group on a strong, media-buzz-generating note than with one of the characters from a previous Smash that didn't originally make the cut?

DLC Group 2 (Fall 2015):

-Impa: Group 2 would need to start with something flashy, and with it likely being near the one year anniversary of Hyrule Warriors, why not a Zelda character? Impa's a recurring character in the legend, and her HW design and that massive sword could offer the really unique fighting style of a light, fast character with slower but powerful attacks.

(Or if the new Zelda is out by then, maybe a character from that one could take the spot.)

-Fire Emblem Character: Okay, I might be a little biased. But with so many characters to pick from, and with Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon all getting DLC already, why not? Would Roy make his return here, with a new moveset to somehow set him apart from the other swordsmen and make up for how terrible he was in his own game? Could we see a different character here, like the light-magic-wielding Micaiah? Hector? Anna? There's a lot to pick from.

-Star Fox Character: We're talking October here, enough time for the new, recently-announced Star Fox game to be released. This spot could go to a prominent character in the game other than Fox or Falco. Preliminary guesses would be Wolf or Krystal...and to be honest, I'd prefer the latter. Another female character, possibly another staff-wielder and magic user in a game with too few of them as is, potentially our first fast magic user, or maybe even a really awesome blend of magic and technology...

(If the new game comes out earlier, this spot and the previous one would switch.)

-Unexpected Character: How do you finish off with a bang? Bring in someone no one sees coming. Could a solo rep go here? A throwback character that didn't make it originally? Maybe a third party character they couldn't get the rights to at first? Or...wouldn't it be something if all of those wishes were granted, and the final DLC character was none other than Geno?

Heh. Nothing wrong with speculating, right?

And there you have it. A full roster and three thousand words' worth of analysis. How close to the mark will it be? We'll have to wait and find out.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You lost me at Robin,

I still believe all the rpg characters will be in a single row and I don't think Wolf is cut.

And Robin? FE has newfound importance but definitely not enough for it to get 4 reps while Sakurais own child is stuck with three and Wolf is cut.

You could also use the no importance argument used to cut Wolf to not add Isaac.

Technically it works, but you must also try and look at it from the point of view of Sakurai. He loves his own franchises and already says he wants to avoid as many cuts as possible.

I guess we'll see, but it looks like a stretch.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You lost me at Robin,

I still believe all the rpg characters will be in a single row and I don't think Wolf is cut.

And Robin? FE has newfound importance but definitely not enough for it to get 4 reps while Sakurais own child is stuck with three and Wolf is cut.

You could also use the no importance argument used to cut Wolf to not add Isaac.

Technically it works, but you must also try and look at it from the point of view of Sakurai. He loves his own franchises and already says he wants to avoid as many cuts as possible.

I guess we'll see, but it looks like a stretch.
Yeah I agree, no way are we getting 4 FE reps. 3 is too many as is.

I don't think RPG characters will be on one row though as Villager is separated from Marth on the demo screen. Agree about Wolf, especially as we know that Sakurai likes Star Fox (and specifically Wolf), and that there's a new SF game being worked on.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
51 fits snugly with minimal changes to the size of the boxes.

If they want some more border space, it wouldn't be that much more of a change to shrink the boxes down slightly more to create more border space.
They're not going to use the bottom screen for additional characters, as that details what characters each player has selected, and the CSS scrolling is utterly unacceptable from a design standpoint. The UI needs to be at least somewhat unified across both platforms, though not to the absurdity that is Metro, for instance. SSB3DS will resemble SSBWU interface-wise, just retailored toward the smaller size. This suggests 47 + Random.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Thanks for the agreement @ThisAnvil but Villager isn't really considered an rpg character, Animal Crossing is more of a village simulator with rpg elements, like Zelda is an adventure game with rpg elements. (which explains why they are next to each other now that you think about it)

At its core, its a life simulator.
At FE core, its an rpg.

And its still enemy encounter/turn based (whatever you want to call it) rpgs that are next to each other.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm fairly certain that the Gematsu newcomers are not all the newcomers we'll see. The potential inclusion of Chrom is a huge hint towards Metroid and Zelda newcomers (thanks to the Trophy Quiz in the Smash Direct)

If you think about it, the trophys in the direct were:

Tiki, Pseudo Palutena, King Kihunter and Fi.

Tiki was from Fire Emblem Awakening = Chrom (rumoured).
Pseudo Palutena was from Uprising (and basically a deformed Palutena) = Palutena.
King Kihunter was from Other M = Ridley (we already know it's his Other M look too).
Fi was from Skyward Sword = (Ghirahim??)

Each one of them specifically corresponds to the game that their respective newcomer comes from.

I might devise a roster based on my theory, I have a feeling it'll look near-perfect in terms of layout on A 51 roster (it will, unfortunately mean cuts though, and funnily enough there are 4 of them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom