• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 Types of players

Dexter Morgan

Smash Apprentice
Trying to learn more about Brawl's mental game play, I watch spectator a lot and look at brawl matches on YouTube. From what I gather, there are 5 types of brawlers:

Spammers: The ones that usually choose Ike, or another such character, and repeatedly use one move. Easily the most simple player to defeat because most of their moves are the same. Spammers are basically button mashers, with little skill required. This makes up a large percentage of the people on wifi.

Taunters: The annoying ones that stay at the edge of the stage and taunt until a player comes up to them, then attacks. For some reason, Kirby seems to be popular amongst taunters.

Offensive: The type of player that attacks anything that moves. This type relies on their offense rather than defense. There are not a lot of offensive players on wifi.

Defensive: Similar to taunters, minus the taunting. The player waits for his/her opponent to make a move, then shields or dodges for a counter attack.

Adaptive: The most common strategy for pros and about 1/5 of the people on wifi. As the name says, they adapt to their opponent and keep a rhythm of attacking and blocking. This type of brawler requires the most amount of skill (e.g. short hopping, lag canceling) and they have to know their character (like how far an attack will reach, how much lag it takes, ect.)

Feel free to tell me if there are any other types or if I should change something.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Offensive for me. I don't think I've ever used my shield to be honest...
Why block when you can attack? lololol

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I play adaptively/defensively. I always watch what my opponent is doing and attack when the time is right.
Once I've hit them, I usually just follow up with a barrage attack unless they're attacking back; then I just avoid them and lay the hurt again.
Sometimes I find myself running and dodging much more than I should be, though...

mzink*

Smash Ace
i play mostly offensive but i also adapt my strategy to my opponents playstyle. I usually like to keep the pressure on but I do play defensively sometimes againsts certain characters like Marth or Pit untill I learn their skills and habits and playstyle so I know what I can and cant be offensive with. It is generally tough for me to force myself to play defensively because i was very offensive with fox in melee so its just the way my brain is programmed to play. I sort of chomp at the bit when Im trying to play defensively. when I play against very skilled smashers I usually hold back on being very offensive untill i get to know my opponent and usually torwards the second half of the match I become more offensive.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Adaptive, the more people I fight the faster I'm able to learn there flaws and methods of attack and approaches.

Snake and meta players wont be this very often as they mainly don't need to change their style to win.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hmm...I thought it was offensive at first, but I think I'm more of a Adaptive Smasher.

When I play with ZSS I have to know my distance at all times and try to stay as far back as I can while still hitting my opponent.

And sometimes it seems like I know the range of my opponent's attacks better than they do. xD

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
Rolf @ all people instantly saying they are adapting, like you all would want to brag about something, dang, i just felt like saying that...
Myself, i'm kind of offensive, minus the fact that i attack everything that moves. I usually try to get people lured into my tactics, so wah would i be? Tactician i guess, if there is something like that...

This aspect in my game is especially strong with Snake, Lucario naturally.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
BTW, the defensive players, the true ones, will win the most often.

I tend to be very aggressive but if I'm playing someone who I know is better than me I'll play really defensively to try and even the odds.

L 17

Smash Apprentice
Adaptive seems to suit me best. I won't play a character in any serious match unless I've spent plenty of time learning each attack.

I detest camping and spamming. Two characters I play a lot, snake and toon link, have serious camping potential; yet for some reason I cannot bring myself to play like that. Another one of my mains, olimar, is just too easy to c-stick spam with. I avoid this as well.

Sometimes my aversion to these things causes me to lose, but I just have to deal with it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Adaptive seems to suit me best. I won't play a character in any serious match unless I've spent plenty of time learning each attack.

I detest camping and a spamming. Two characters I play a lot, snake and toon link, have serious camping potential; yet for some reason I cannot bring myself to play like that. Another one of my mains, olimar, is just too easy to c-stick spam with. I avoid this as well.

Sometimes my aversion to these things causes me to lose, but I just have to deal with it.
You are now my hero. I DESPISE spammers. Which is probably why I hate Pikachu so much.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I spam Din's Fire only when I realize I'm playing with a bunch of idiots (people who keep suiciding, people who grab the air 400 times in place hoping that somehow they'll grab something, people who jump...and only jump, people who taunt over and over and over)

Otherwise I'm a defensive/offensive player. Not gonna lie. I have issues adapting to new situations, I guess, but I have OVER TIME adapted to different play styles...which I believe allows me to maintain my either defensive or offensive style.

I'd also like to add that for those who do taunts all the time, I've noticed a lot of them play Diddy Kong.

Qlink

Smash Apprentice
Put Offence/defence/Adaptive together...and you got a player...Sorta

Well im defenceive because i block and side step. Offence for using unexpected moves. Adaptive...If the person im playing is Defencef. I play defencef. If hes Offence, Then i play defence. But if i know i have a really good chance of hitting him. I block and attack. Or just straight up attack

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Eh.. I'm not really sure. I'd say adaptive, but that's not always true. Probably more of the offensive type for me.

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
This may be technically true. But it doesn't really matter, because all but the fifth style of play is inherently bad. Spamming Ike's smashes is a bad strategy. Taunting repeatedly on the edge of the stage is a bad strategy. Attacking always and attacking never are both bad strategies. If you play well, being adaptive will always win over doing things with no regard for what your opponent does.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
It is probably best to play a mixture of all of them except "taunter"?

Being able to switch between aggression and defense can throw off many players. It helps setup opponents to make mistakes when you don't do what they expected.

There is nothing wrong with spamming at all, if someone is dumb enough to run into your foward smash 20 times in a row they suck. It saves you the trouble of having to think.

Adaptive is common sense, how can you be Offensive or Defensive if you don't understand the range and lag of attacks. If you don't understand that one of your aerials has huge landing lag you will get punished going on the offensive with it. Same as knowing the starting animation of certain attacks if you spot dodge to early you will get hit regardless.

Top Bottom