• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 Things Super Smash Bros Brawl Got Wrong

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
a so-so list. L-canceling is more important than wavedashing, as every character, besides peach, use l-canceling. However not every characters uses wavedashing effectively.
No hitstun is the largest, its arguably the largest reason camping is so effective now.

Superperson

Smash Rookie
Christ. Lighten up.
It's been said before: Sakurai DOESN'T WANT SSBB TO BE A COMPETITIVE GAME.
And with the addition of the online element, players who can wavedash and L-cancel have a distinct advantage over those who don't. Casuals need some love too-and deleting those (basically glitch) elements helps even everybody out. I agree about tripping, however.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Do you realize how many threads have popped up for JUST this reason? Nothing personal to the OP, but this is getting old, REALLY fast.

Search function pleaseandthankyou.

Mephianse

Smash Rookie
5 Things Brawl got Wrong? How about 127 Things Brawl got Right.
I love brawl and all but those 5 things Brawl got wrong actually make such an impact in the game that you just forget all the great stuff (Great music, stage builder etcetc)

If Sakurai wanted to make Brawl something more like a party game, why he did't do another Mario Party instead or that Sonic olympics thing?

And please, I know you are all tired of read this kind of threads, but it's also annoying to hear things like "Brawl is awesome get over it".

Competitive players also have rights, Sakurai must understand this.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Christ. Lighten up.
And with the addition of the online element, players who can wavedash and L-cancel have a distinct advantage over those who don't. Casuals need some love too-and deleting those (basically glitch) elements helps even everybody out. I agree about tripping, however.
I don't understand this. Casuals usually play other casuals and have fun without the advance techniques, why take something from the competitive community. And before anyone brings the 'its an exploit, now its even' excuse, I am sure pros will still use their new techniques to dominate the casuals.

err

Smash Journeyman
Rusty knows his ****. and he detected that sarcasm back there like a ****in champ

hey rust!

captainduh

Smash Rookie
Christ. Lighten up.
It's not basically a glitch. It IS a glitch. Just because it's "difficult" to do doesn't make it any less of an exploit.

Anyway, I don't think people are suddenly going to start losing against players that are worse than they are just because they can't wavedash or L-cancel anymore. If you're better at the game then you're better at the game. You'll win. You shouldn't need a lame trick to do it.

err

Smash Journeyman
i miss the days of walking up to someone as samus, jabbing that shield, WD back, wait/read/react, perhaps WD forward, perhaps going airborne.. *drool*

i wanna play some melee now

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that I think is truly a "wrong" thing would be tripping. Everything else just seems like comparison to me...Its like this list should've been a "Ways how Brawl is DIFFERENT than Melee"

idk why people want Brawl to be Melee...it never will be, and you wont play Melee competitvely anymore now that Brawl is out no matter how much of a "party game" Brawl is...

They are DIFFERENT games, idk if anyone here is familiar with the MLG halo scene but from halo2 to halo3 was also the loss of several 'AT's' such as BXR, BXB, double shotting etc...but now who cares? People adapt to the halo3 changes and the first MLG tourney is next week...just going to show how things CHANGE. Why would they make TWO melee's? Obviously a lot of the techs would disappear...im surprised some of you thought differently, but new ones will open up in time...just be patient...its only been a month -_-

Fletch

Smash Master
Good read, but I wouldn't put wavedashing all the way at number 2, as dash-dancing and l-canceling were definitely more important in Melee for most characters.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
lack of wavedashing couldve easily been fixed by buffing characters that needed it...so lack of wavedashing isnt that bad...l-canceling has been in since 64 so I dont understand why they took it out...unless its in the game but not in the traditional way but I severly doubt that...

and wow...I read those comments...casuals have a warped image of many "pro" players...they make it seem that they put their lives below smash and thats all they do all day, beating their meat to Marth and Falco yaoi and pleasure themselves whenever Cpt. Falcon wavedashes and does his UpB...they fail to realize that people have lives(...of course there are always the extremists but that applies to everything and as a hobby, they take it very seriously...its like if a restaurant you really like suddenly decides to cater to only meat eaters, leaving vegetarians eating off of the single leaf of lettuce on that gigaburger from a cow that they butchered alive while hanging from a rope 4 minutes ago......and then all the people that arent vegetarians are like "GET OVER IT", or "STFU LEARN TO EAT LIKE A REAL (WO)MAN!!!11"

thats how I feel some people feel right now...I seriously think that all Brawl failed to do well is tripping and severly reduced hitstun...l-canceling couldve made it better but w/e...

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, but I like the casual aspect more than I liked the serious aspect from Melee so I'm going to have to say I like it better this way. Still hate tripping.

loki42

Smash Rookie
The comments are full of casual play idiots that don't know what they're talking about. >_>

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
*sigh* I read the comments and I got pissed xD

I put: "Everyone just play both of em dammit! It's not gonna kill you!!! Geez, most of you people are so "one-sided" these days. <_< Brawl and Melee are friends, so why can't we be?"

Then a whole class lesson on some of "TEH GILCHES of SSBM"

@ Loki: You called me a casual n00b? lol

loki42

Smash Rookie
*sigh* I read the comments and I got pissed xD

I put: "Everyone just play both of em dammit! It's not gonna kill you!!! Geez, most of you people are so "one-sided" these days. <_< Brawl and Melee are friends, so why can't we be?"

Then a whole class lesson on some of "TEH GILCHES of SSBM"

@ Loki: You called me a casual n00b? lol
lol, no, its comments like this:

"You really need to get over yourself. Professional at what? A ******* game? Seriously, if anyone here is the scrub, that's you. You're a pathetic piece of ****."

and:

"nahhhhh babies want game to be same as melee. naahhh i cant win using cheep techniques. yeah the physics changed.....DUHHHH. tripping makes things interesting"

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
I'd have to agree except for the Wavedashing and Analog Sheilding part. To complain that wavedashing is gone means that you still haven't cleaned that sand out of your ******. Grow up, it's a new game, and I think the new airdodging brings a lot to the game. It's comments like that that make certain casual players hate toruney players. I hope I never have to hear another person complain that wavedashing is gone.
Also, it is sad that analog sheilding is gone, but that's because of the hardware. If you were playing with wiimote or wiimote+nunchuk, you wouldn't be able to analog shield. And just because the Classic Controller can do it, still doesn't give them a big reason, because they want you to be able to play this game to it's full potential without having to go out and by soemthing. I'm not going to count Gcube in this because that's old hardware and it wouldn't look good for Nintendo to make the last gen controller look better. Not to say that you shouldn't play with it (because I most certainly do), but i'm just saying to look at it from Nintendo's point of view. Also, because analog shielding is gone, sheilds are more powerful. You can also see how that might relate to the point of "Brawl being easier for everyone" theory. But a good player wouldn't be shielding all day, so I don't really mind it to much.
But other than those, I agree with you on the other stuff. WHY IS THERE NO L-CANCELLING...AND WHY IS THERE TRIPPING?!?!?! The answer is, of course, obvious why, but I'm sure most of us have shouted out in furry at it.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I left an anymous comment on the blog, I don't have a digg account. It felt nice being able to go on without a word filter.

But like I said, I think hit stun is probably the biggest thing that brawl got "wrong."
The lack of l canceling is also disapointing. Losing wavedashing isn't the biggest thing in the world. the air dodges and DI are different.

loki42

Smash Rookie
I left an anymous comment on the blog, I don't have a digg account. It felt nice being able to go on without a word filter.

But like I said, I think hit stun is probably the biggest thing that brawl got "wrong."
Could you explain hit stun to me? I'm positive I know what it is, but I don't know ALL of the terminology. Would it be that if you hit a character who is in midair, they can hit you right back with no lag, which really messes with the air game?

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
lol reading the comments at the end of your blog...
why are people so insecure about brawl, that they viciously attack anyone who dislikes it/was good at melee. its kinda sad, just doesn't really make any sense. good blog post i guess not really into the whole blog thing, and might've swapped the order a little myself, but the overall idea was spot on.

(Disclaimer. i'm not particularly good at melee, and i don't really like brawl, but i don't hate it, so **** off whichever 'tards are thinking about flaming me for my forward.)

Top Bottom