• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Routa

Smash Lord
All I will say that I find laughable that people are now concerned about people leaving if we ban their character.

If we limit Miis to 1111 then I see no issue with banning bayo with shaky reasoning. Like it or not the situation is laughably similar (main difference being how power character we are talking about) to that of the Mii drama.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So many people posting sound so removed from the game and the tournaments it hurts to read your posts.

"Just pick a region. Experiment with their local scene."
"We don't have enough data. We need more results from major tournaments."

I fully appreciate Espy's post because it's how so many ACTIVE tournament goers feel. The local scene may not be "as important" as the international scene, but very few people would be attending the international events if we did not have friends we enjoyed playing with locally.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
There's always a risk, as with most choices. Those pro-ban will likely argue that a ban would lead to more enjoyment for players, more active players, and more viewers. Those that are against the ban will likely argue that a ban won't save the game, won't significantly increase enjoyment for players, number of active players, or viewer count, and would do quite a bit of harm for very little gain.

It is not obvious what would happen. It is, of course, prudent to be careful with bans in general. At the very least, banning Bayonetta will hurt some Bayonetta players (although some might welcome it, mostly those that chose her because she's the best, such as ZeRo, in the hypothetical scenario where he picked up Bayonetta).

Yes, that's true. Region banning has some serious issues though: For one thing, the Bayonetta players in that region might feel that they're singled out. A top player, like Salem, would likely move to another region (or quit Smash/locals, or use them to practice secondaries). Still, gathering data is interesting, at least.

There's also the issue of "people from that region will lose out on MU practice". While players who only go to locals might be fine with it, top level players like ESAM or MVD would likely object to a Florida ban on Bayonetta, since they need the MU practice (then again, it's not like top players really need to go to locals to practice anyway). So I don't think "have a region test it" is really going to happen.
I feel like the main issue with Bayonetta is not only her defensive playstyle, but her dominance at lower level play. If we ban her, that means more people may be more invited to the game, although if we keep her in, it separates the poorer players with the more skilled people, while losing to Bayonetta could convince players to try harder, learn more, and become stronger at the game. I am simply against the ban because she is not Brawl MK or Melee Fox dominant (especially at high to top level play), but I would conclude my thoughts on the Bayo drama with her with "we will have to wait and see on what happens".

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
I am personally against a ban, mostly due to the negative effect it could have on future smash games. We live in an age where balance patches are embraced by nintendo, meaning that a dumpster fire like Brawl is extraordinarily unlikely. This leads me to the conclusion that the smash 4 scene will be replaced once the next game comes out. I highly doubt there would be another split like the Melee/Brawl communities. Coming to this conclusion, it makes me worry less about the health of the smash4 scene in favor of the health of the smash Bros community as a whole.

I think that setting a precedent of banning characters due to community hate (and lets be real, Bayonetta is currently on the chopping block because she is dispused by the average smasher, not because of results or data) is a bad example for the future of the series.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
@Das Koopa Great post on bayonetta overall but I think I know why Melee's viewership was lower than genesis 4s despite having the better top 8.

1. The tournament ended at 2:30 AM for east coasters and it was on a sunday night, so people had to go to work and school the following morning
2. As much as I hate to say it, Hungrybox probably did get viewers down, as Mango vs Armada is a classic in Genesis, and many people left after seeing Plup dismantled in the first set of grand finals.

I went off on a small tangent there, but I agree on your other points. I do hope she isnt banned out of pure kneejerk reactions if Lima/Mistake wins a major (despite me being salty for sinji vs lima) and the more rational heads of the community can make a fair decison when the time comes. But hey, at least Frostbite 2018 is the largest smash 4 only tournament ever, so the game isnt dying just yet :p

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I am simply against the ban because she is not Brawl MK or Melee Fox dominant (especially at high to top level play), but I would conclude my thoughts on the Bayo drama with her with "we will have to wait and see on what happens".
I think it's pretty clear that she's an issue at higher levels of play as well, just watch Twitch chat whenever a Bayonetta is playing (or read top level player's tweets). Also, isn't "We have to wait and see what happens" what they did in Brawl? At some point, a decision has to be made, or she will remain unbanned forever.

Oh, although I suspect she might be more likely to kill local playerbases than playerbases at majors. It would be interesting if some surveys were made to gauge what people really think about Bayonetta.

I think that setting a precedent of banning characters due to community hate (and lets be real, Bayonetta is currently on the chopping block because she is dispused by the average smasher, not because of results or data) is a bad example for the future of the series.
Something to keep in mind: Smash 4 will likely not receive any more balance patches (unless there's a Switch version). Smash 5 likely would. If a character is broken in Smash 5, then people could wait for a balance patch that nerfs that character. No character will be banned until patches stop coming. This weakens the "it sets a bad precedent"-argument a bit, I believe. It would likely take several years until Smash 5 is at a point where any character could justifiably be banned.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Didn't someone say earlier that 75% of the community did in fact vote in favor of banning Meta Knight, but retracted the decision when a Japanese player threatened not to travel to a tournament? I don't think that case is very similar to what we're in right now.

First I just want to point out ahead of time that if Bayonetta were to get banned tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear, but we should at least be 100% clear on why we'd get rid of her, which is that people find her unfun to spectate and play against.

But statements like lower tier mains are quitting the game *only* because of Bayonetta are unsubstantiated given that we just had a super major with mid tier characters beating top Bayo mains in bracket. Here's a cold harsh reality check: this game is chock full of unfair degenerate horse**** and Bayonetta only makes up part of it, and your favorite low tier character gets crapped on all the same by the other top tiers. If players are indeed quitting the game it would be due to a general lack of interest more than anything, with Bayonetta contributing to that disinterest minorly at best.

I mean while I'm sure there are many lower level players quitting exclusively because Bayonetta, Armada went over this subject a while back and I feel his statement still holds true today "Getting rid of a character will take away one problem that you have, but the main problem which is that you suck still remains" (using this quote regarding low-mid level play, and no this is not a "git gud" message)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
But statements like lower tier mains are quitting the game *only* because of Bayonetta are unsubstantiated given that we just had a super major with mid tier characters beating top Bayo mains in bracket. Here's a cold harsh reality check: this game is chock full of unfair degenerate horse**** and Bayonetta only makes up part of it, and your favorite low tier character gets crapped on all the same by the other top tiers. If players are indeed quitting the game it would be due to a general lack of interest more than anything, with Bayonetta contributing to that disinterest minorly at best.
If you don't have a friend who has considered quitting going to smash tournaments because they didn't want to deal with DLC with their main, then you're probably not part of the smash community.

Fact.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Didn't someone say earlier that 75% of the community did in fact vote in favor of banning Meta Knight, but retracted the decision when a Japanese player threatened not to travel to a tournament? I don't think that case is very similar to what we're in right now.
Meta Knight absolutely should have been banned, and not banning him earlier was a mistake. Let's not make the same mistake twice... Assuming Bayonetta should be banned. I'm not convinced either way yet.

First I just want to point out ahead of time that if Bayonetta were to get banned tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear, but we should at least be 100% clear on why we'd get rid of her, which is that people find her unfun to spectate and play against.
To be fair, she is OP. Normally, OP characters get nerfed, but for some reason they stopped patching the game before they nerfed her. That leaves us with either allowing a noticeably OP character or banning it. Both options have pros and cons. But yes, her being OP is absolutely a factor, if she were a mid tier there would be no serious talk of banning her.

But statements like lower tier mains are quitting the game *only* because of Bayonetta are unsubstantiated given that we just had a super major with mid tier characters beating top Bayo mains in bracket.
No one said all lower tier mains quit because of Bayonetta. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence, although not much hard data (as far as I know).

Anyway, I think this Twitter conversation is worth bringing up. Mr. R, Mr. E, and Dabuz bring up some interesting points. https://twitter.com/Mr_RSmash/status/955845428074962944

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Meta Knight absolutely should have been banned, and not banning him earlier was a mistake. Let's not make the same mistake twice... Assuming Bayonetta should be banned. I'm not convinced either way yet.
Well....yeah. What I was getting at was that the community did reach a definitive consensus on banning Meta Knight. I didn't disagree with anything besides our case being similar to Meta Knight's.

To be fair, she is OP. Normally, OP characters get nerfed, but for some reason they stopped patching the game before they nerfed her. That leaves us with either allowing a noticeably OP character or banning it. Both options have pros and cons. But yes, her being OP is absolutely a factor, if she were a mid tier there would be no serious talk of banning her.
They did nerf her from being "obvious #1" to "arguably #1", because if they hadn't nerfed her period then she would be 100% ban worthy, no doubt about it. Downward ABK, good times....good times.

If you don't have a friend who has considered quitting going to smash tournaments because they didn't want to deal with DLC with their main, then you're probably not part of the smash community.

Fact.
Lucky me, my friends aren't nearly that soft. :^)

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm not entirely for the ban since data hasn't shown that she's over running top 8s or that she's unbeatable. As I've said before however, people simply aren't switching to Bayo en-mass and I do feel that part of that is due to her late entry into the game but also because the other top/high tiers still work just fine. You can't have top 8 filled with 8 Bayos if there aren't 8 top level Bayos attending unless some crazy **** happens.

The Smash 'community' and I use that term loosely since this is whatever 'community' has dabbled in the last 3 Smash games, has previously banned wobbling and then brought it back and you don't see ICies taking over top 8s in Melee. I'd imagine it was seen as cheap, unfun and possibly unbeatable and then people bothered to learn. Wouldn't entirely know, wasn't paying attention to competitive Smash at the time. This same 'community' took forever to ban Brawl MK, going as far as to make specific rules and changing the stage list just to try and tame him and he was shortly brought back. Looking directly at the 3 characters, Sm4sh Bayo has nothing on ICies or Brawl MK but looking at the game they're in, there's overall less options in Sm4sh to contest other things. No DACUS to suddenly fly in with a kill move, no grab release to usmash or fsmash or whatever, no waveland onto platforms, no auto cancel projectiles to camp characters out. On the one hand, the 'community' has dealt with worse but on the other hand, maybe that's the issue. Maybe people don't want to put up with another 'deal with it' situation.

And honestly, I'd feel bad for the Bayo players if she got banned. She fits your style, you got super good with her, find her fun, whatever and then the community says 'no, **** you, pick someone else' but then the community for this very game said that about Mii's and to a lesser extent customs (thanks for the BS unlocking system dev team). If my main was banned, I'd probably quit.

With all of this in mind, just as the Sm4sh community tested the waters with customs by having them be in locals and finally a major with EVO and the majority deciding 'nope, we don't want this' we went back to vanilla and I see no reason why the same couldn't be done with a Bayo ban. Ban her from locals and eventually a major after enough time has passed and if people still start leaving and those that left still don't come back and people still complain that the game isn't fun because of Rosa or Sonic or who the heck ever and if the views don't rise then bring Bayo back because she's clearly not that harmful to the game if nothing improves over a long period of time. Sure, people won't have practice vs her if she comes back but then people didn't have practice vs vanilla moveset when customs were around either (or at least not entirely).

I'm actually slowly getting back into enjoying playing Sm4sh after previously getting sick of Bayo and Cloud and I have MKLeo to thank for that. The dude inspires me, using characters he seems to genuinely enjoy and not just going straight for the very best characters. It's thanks to him that I want to put more focus onto my Mewtwo and pick up Marcina so if Bayo gets banned, that's one less headache for me to deal with but if she doesn't, I have a character that outranges her, that doesn't weigh less than a 2D character, that has a kill throw and can contest her recovery.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
They did nerf her from being "obvious #1" to "arguably #1", because if they hadn't nerfed her period then she would be 100% ban worthy, no doubt about it. Downward ABK, good times....good times.
Imagine if 1.1.6 never came. Double downward After Burner Kicks into double Witch Twists true combo killing at zero is definitely broken. (Not to mention a Witch Time duration that takes a century, heel slide having very little lag, and a spike that kills at zero. XD)
Fun Facts about pre-patch Bayo: that the jank kills Bayo can perform at rage is a byproduct of the Witch Twist nerf at 1.1.6.
Taken from SmashWiki:
Witch Twist has a higher SDI multiplier (1x → 2x), allowing opponents to escape her combos and KO confirms. The upper part of the middle hit also deals less knockback (160 fixed/100 scaling → 140/97) and all have less range (Y offset: 24 → 21, radius: 8 → 7).
  • Due to Witch Twist's autolink angle knockback, the change in SDI multiplier allows opponents to be KO'd easily at early percent near close to the upper blast line.
Still like this better than 1.1.5's Witch Twist though.

I would like to shed some light on Bayonetta being "flawless". People who says that she has no actual flaw should look again.
Also taken from SmashWiki:
"Bayonetta's primary flaw is her poor frame data on the ground, with many of her grounded attacks coming out on frame 9 or later, as well as frequently having high cooldown lag, especially on her smash attacks. Some of her specials gain more landing lag the more she uses them in the air, making her landings relatively exploitable if her combos whiff. Furthermore, despite her long recovery, Bayonetta is still considered a lightweight, and when considering her large hurtbox, she is easier to hit and KO than most other characters. Finally, players must exercise caution with her Witch Time, due to its poor effectiveness on multi-hitting moves, and its lowering efficiency if used too often."

Pyrover

Smash Cadet
So here's my question. Why is Bayo's jank any worse than what we've all dealt with for years?

We've seen ZSS make the same exact comebacks multiple times with her own ladder combos and acted like it was hype.

And yet Bayo is the problem.

More importantly, we play a game where the existence of spikes means that almost any character can kill you at 20-ish% off a read.

Hell, anything touching you offstage was a death sentence back in 64.

So why is this the problem? Bayo is innocent here. We've been over her not having the data to justify a ban already. Metaknight had almost 3 times the representation at the same point in Brawl's life, so we know she isn't comparable to that. It's not a situation of "we all say we should've banned MK; don't make the same mistake." It's a situation that doesn't compare.

If you ban her, you set a horrible precedent for banning characters that people don't like. No other fighting game does that despite not having the jank that Smash as a series has always had. Spikes have always done the same thing here, so we should be used to it. Competitively, when Phoenix makes a comeback in MvC3, everybody despises her because nothing else in the game has her combevack potential to win off of one stray hit. (Bar X-Factor shenanigans, but that is universally agreed to be a mistake and isn't capable of wiping a whole team like she can.) we play a game where jank is an inherent part of the game. How many times have any of us won a game off of a spike or an edgeguard when we were down too much to deserve the stock? That has even less counterplay because it's stricktly a guessing game of "when should I air dodge."

People might quit if we leave her here? Ban her and you also risk losing all of her players and fans. And yes, her fans do exist. She won the Smash poll for a reason, and it's not that anyone expected her to be less than top tier.

She's boring to watch? The character with a questionable neutral but insane reward is boring to you all? We're the only community who thinks like that. Similar characters like Q in Street Fighter and Arakune in Blazblue are usually considered to be great hype generators.

Honestly, the thing that frustrates me about the Smash community is that we do cry and whine about everything. I'm guilty of it at times too, but it's never a solution, and we can't seem to grasp that. Banning characters should be a last resort in all situations. Unless the character is truly dominant (Akuma, Metaknight, Ivan Ooze, Pet Shop, Rachel Alucard, for examples in other games) the character doesn't warrant it. Banning a character for community health doesn't improve the community. It teaches that whining works. It alienates players who liked the character. It sets terrible precedent. It ignores the core issue.

If you have to ban a character who doesn't statistically deserve it, the character isn't the problem. The community itself is.

This is just people needing something to direct their anger at the game towards. We all signed up to play this janky game knowing that it was the kind of thing where you would sometimes lose matches you didn't deserve to. And then we complain as if that shouldn't be the case.

If that's the kind of game you want, then you should be playing stamina matches with edgeguarding and ladders banned, so it'll be a health system like in every other fighter. But we play this because it's something unique, even if it messes us up sometimes. It's our game that we chose knowing the flaws. The flaws that can show up in every single match, regardless of the characters involved.

She's a scapegoat that's being used to ignore this community's unhealthy mindset. If she weeds out the people who make a community toxic, then she's improving the game. If you ban that, then you're not looking at the community's health. You're looking at your own frustrations.

Smash has a 17 year old scene. It isn't going anywhere, with or without Bayonetta. Smash 4 will either live until Smash 5 happens, or go the way that Melee did. The people who honestly want to keep the game alive will. We just have to realize that "good for the community" doesn't always mean maintaining the highest possible viewership and playerbase numbers.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
I would like to shed some light on Bayonetta being "flawless". People who says that she has no actual flaw should look again.
Also taken from SmashWiki:
"Bayonetta's primary flaw is her poor frame data on the ground, with many of her grounded attacks coming out on frame 9 or later, as well as frequently having high cooldown lag, especially on her smash attacks. Some of her specials gain more landing lag the more she uses them in the air, making her landings relatively exploitable if her combos whiff. Furthermore, despite her long recovery, Bayonetta is still considered a lightweight, and when considering her large hurtbox, she is easier to hit and KO than most other characters. Finally, players must exercise caution with her Witch Time, due to its poor effectiveness on multi-hitting moves, and its lowering efficiency if used too often."
Eh....I wouldn't take the SSB wiki as a concrete guide on a character's strengths and weaknesses. Just saying.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace

Fact.
While there are some people at my local scene definitely don't like the character no ones had out right quit because of Bayonetta alone (or DLC for that matter). At a local level everyone generally gets along and character choice isn't enough to deter them from competing in a game

I'm really not trying to sound rude or disrespectful please don't take it that way but this is a competitive (or atleast we make it that way) fighting game. Bad matchups exist, powerful characters exist, weak characters exist you strive for good balance and want your characters to be good but the reality of things is that this simply can't happen not in a game with so many characters. I'm sure you know all of this so I won't ramble on but the point I'm making at the risk of making a "git gud" nonsensical argument is that Bayonetta hasn't proven herself to be broken so we have no competitive reason to ban her yet. It sucks but it is what it is.

I personally think Sonic is the most unfun thing in this game and often I don't pay attention to stream when Sonic is on because it's boring to me, that isn't enough reason to ban him nor is it enough reason for me to quit the game. He is a powerful yet not broken character and as a competitor of this game I should be prepared to deal with him if I play him.

I also want to add banning her by trial at local level doesn't show anything. Unless your locals have Bayonettas that can place at nationals then your only hurting mid and low level Bayonetta players who don't play her at a high enough level to where she's oppressing their scenes.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Not that I’m advocating this, but rather than banning the character, what about just banning Witch Time?

Yes, I’m aware of the pitfalls of banning specific things, especially singular moves.

I’m aware that her risk reward is so high because of her conversions, but the main other reason is that Witch Time is a constant presence. I agree with Myollnir Myollnir that it is the best move in the game, and Bayo’s most OP option.

Theoretically, taking it out of the equation weakens Bayo’s ability to camp as hard, to pressure as freely, and to mount comebacks off of stray hits and pokes. It would take away the frustration factor that “she got a lucky Witch Time to win.”

Plus, it allows her player base that she has established, to stay.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
If there's not enough data, maybe we need to make the data happen.

Here's a loose idea for how to "test" a Bayo ban:

Let's assume there's a weekly local. That means about 4 locals a month. Well, what if, for a month, two of those tournaments banned Bayo and two didn't?

(And let's say that Bayo players get a discounted fee because they're being denied two tourneys that month.)

We would get to see how the numbers would change from week to week.

-If there's a noticeable influx of lapsed players, then we know it's primarily Bayo that caused their exodus.
-If they don't show up, then Bayo isn't the sole problem.
-If we have players who are already attending locals suddenly switching to the non-Bayo tourneys and abandoning the Bayo-legal ones, then we know the Bayos were merely being tolerated.
-If those regular attendees go to both, then we know they just enjoy fighting.
-If they decide to switch to different characters for the non-Bayo tournament, then we know they switched mains just for Bayo, giving an idea of her influence.
-If the Bayo-legal tourneys become mostly Bayonettas, that's also say something.

Now that I think about it, this could probably be used to test custom Miis too.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
So many people posting sound so removed from the game and the tournaments it hurts to read your posts.

"Just pick a region. Experiment with their local scene."
"We don't have enough data. We need more results from major tournaments."

I fully appreciate Espy's post because it's how so many ACTIVE tournament goers feel. The local scene may not be "as important" as the international scene, but very few people would be attending the international events if we did not have friends we enjoyed playing with locally.
If you and the people in your scene feel like your community is dying because of Bayo, you should ban her. Similar to what Spain did and what that Japanese tourney did for doubles Cloud.

No one is saying the local scene isn’t as important as what goes on nationally. That’s not even a distinction I would make.

Smash is big now, but it’s always been a grassroots community. But if the meta at large isn’t banning her, or is slow to do so, and you want your community to survive given the above, then I wouldn’t wait and see.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Not that I’m advocating this, but rather than banning the character, what about just banning Witch Time?

Yes, I’m aware of the pitfalls of banning specific things, especially singular moves.

I’m aware that her risk reward is so high because of her conversions, but the main other reason is that Witch Time is a constant presence. I agree with Myollnir Myollnir that it is the best move in the game, and Bayo’s most OP option.

Theoretically, taking it out of the equation weakens Bayo’s ability to camp as hard, to pressure as freely, and to mount comebacks off of stray hits and pokes. It would take away the frustration factor that “she got a lucky Witch Time to win.”

Plus, it allows her player base that she has established, to stay.
I was actually just about to post that. How would it be enforced though? Using witch time in a match you must as your stock?

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Banning a move is stupid unless you can completely remove it from the game. I don't think I need to explain.
Yeah. It took a minute of reflection to be like, “wait, no, that’s not a thing.”

origamiscienceguy said:
I was actually just about to post that. How would it be enforced though? Using witch time in a match you must as your stock
Yeah, it’s not really an enforceable thing. Especially in Smash. It’s hard enough to ban techniques and glitches, let alone moves in a fighting game series where moves are tied to singular inputs on a control stick and a button.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
So here's my question. Why is Bayo's jank any worse than what we've all dealt with for years?

We've seen ZSS make the same exact comebacks multiple times with her own ladder combos and acted like it was hype.

This is a bad meme that has gone on long enough.

ZSS incurs far more risk and requires far more precision than Bayonetta. ZSS has been considered a hype character since the onset of Smash 4 yet remains relatively unpopular to play. Do you think this is sheer coincidence?

More importantly, we play a game where the existence of spikes means that almost any character can kill you at 20-ish% off a read.

No one is complaining about the possibility for comebacks. The complaint is the manner in which they happen. Spikes often involve lost neutral, being pushed into a very disadvantageous area and then getting your recovery/defensive attempt stuffed. Not quite the same as a Bayo sky combo.

If you ban her, you set a horrible precedent for banning characters that people don't like. No other fighting game does that despite not having the jank that Smash as a series has always had. Spikes have always done the same thing here, so we should be used to it. Competitively, when Phoenix makes a comeback in MvC3, everybody despises her because nothing else in the game has her combevack potential to win off of one stray hit. (Bar X-Factor shenanigans, but that is universally agreed to be a mistake and isn't capable of wiping a whole team like she can.) we play a game where jank is an inherent part of the game. How many times have any of us won a game off of a spike or an edgeguard when we were down too much to deserve the stock? That has even less counterplay because it's stricktly a guessing game of "when should I air dodge."
There is nothing wrong with removing something that consensus finds to make the game/sport worse off to a significant degree. The main thing is to find what serves as significant.

People might quit if we leave her here? Ban her and you also risk losing all of her players and fans. And yes, her fans do exist. She won the Smash poll for a reason, and it's not that anyone expected her to be less than top tier.
Weighted in the decision-making

She's boring to watch? The character with a questionable neutral but insane reward is boring to you all? We're the only community who thinks like that. Similar characters like Q in Street Fighter and Arakune in Blazblue are usually considered to be great hype generators.
Bayonetta's neutral is not bad- it is in fact very good.

Honestly, the thing that frustrates me about the Smash community is that we do cry and whine about everything. I'm guilty of it at times too, but it's never a solution, and we can't seem to grasp that. Banning characters should be a last resort in all situations. Unless the character is truly dominant (Akuma, Metaknight, Ivan Ooze, Pet Shop, Rachel Alucard, for examples in other games) the character doesn't warrant it. Banning a character for community health doesn't improve the community. It teaches that whining works. It alienates players who liked the character. It sets terrible precedent. It ignores the core issue.

If you have to ban a character who doesn't statistically deserve it, the character isn't the problem. The community itself is.
Characterizing all complaints as whining seems to me like you are not listening or reading at all.

She's a scapegoat that's being used to ignore this community's unhealthy mindset. If she weeds out the people who make a community toxic, then she's improving the game. If you ban that, then you're not looking at the community's health. You're looking at your own frustrations.

Smash has a 17 year old scene. It isn't going anywhere, with or without Bayonetta. Smash 4 will either live until Smash 5 happens, or go the way that Melee did. The people who honestly want to keep the game alive will. We just have to realize that "good for the community" doesn't always mean maintaining the highest possible viewership and playerbase numbers.
Are you saying people like Shaya or Locke have no interest in keeping the game alive, or are not focused on the good of the community?

People will fight all they want, but eventually something will give way. Hopefully it isn't the players saying they are tired of fighting with bows and arrows against bayonets.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Reality check: the USA hasn't implemented a metric system. We didn't ban MK. Changing widespread rules is hard and the comunity's too divided on this issue. We're all spinning our philosophical wheels here. If a local community wants to ban bayo more power to them but it won't become the standard, practical or not.

Several people and I have pointed out how Bayo gets singled out. People dislike how she plays even though most characters have worse MUs than vs her. This chart averages top players' MUs both as and against each character; it's not definitive however an accurate amalgamation of high level opinions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/6y4nu5/comprehensive_matchup_chart_for_all_characters/
If you look at each characters' worst MU it's only Bayo for Fox at -1.4, Corrin -1.1, Pits tied with a few others -1.3, ROB -2.6, Shulk -2.3, Charizard -2.5, DDD -2.6, and Zelda tied at -2.4. So she's 8 characters worst MU (counting Pit and Dark Pit together). She has a great MU spread all around to her credit but Sonic, Diddy, Sheik and other top tiers all give other characters a harder time. I can't speak for others about most disliked MUs; for me Sheik's worse. For a DK player Rosa might be their least liked.

You must have a unique mindset when fighting Bayo. That's the key.

Fact.
That's not a fact.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN

So why is this the problem? Bayo is innocent here. We've been over her not having the data to justify a ban already. Metaknight had almost 3 times the representation at the same point in Brawl's life, so we know she isn't comparable to that. It's not a situation of "we all say we should've banned MK; don't make the same mistake." It's a situation that doesn't compare.

This is just people needing something to direct their anger at the game towards. We all signed up to play this janky game knowing that it was the kind of thing where you would sometimes lose matches you didn't deserve to. And then we complain as if that shouldn't be the case.

If that's the kind of game you want, then you should be playing stamina matches with edgeguarding and ladders banned, so it'll be a health system like in every other fighter. But we play this because it's something unique, even if it messes us up sometimes. It's our game that we chose knowing the flaws. The flaws that can show up in every single match, regardless of the characters involved.

To sum it up simply:

ZSS/MK ladders are overhyped as hell, yes, but there is something attached to them that Bayo doesn't have:

Risk.

If ZSS wants to ladder you, in most situations she's required to grab you with a move that can result in a smash attack when dodged or whiffed. MK is less punishable but has essentially no neutral game, can't camp effectively, and his ladders often result in his own death. On top of all of that, MK's up-b isn't consistent - I've seen a ton of people fall out of shuttle loop before the second hit connects and get off basically scot-free.

Bayo has none of these problems. On top of ladders, she has hitboxes larger than the master sword vertically on witch twist, making it impossible to challenge from above (Seriously, it's more vertically disjointed than Rosa's dair - a move that isn't even connected to Rosa's body), and this is a consistent trend with a lot of her moves, from fair to up tilt to after burner kick and more. Bayonetta has the safety of a sword character with none of the frame data issues that traditionally hold back sword characters (The only other character that can compare to her on a data to damage level is Luigi, who has significantly less range and a host of other problems), on top of her insane reward that garauntees about 20% or more at best off of nearly all her moves, and at worse a stock.

On top of that, her disadvantage state is miles ahead of even ZSS, between a ton of amazing aerial burst options that, if she hasn't used them enough, can lead right into her amazing advantage state, unlike something like Flip kick, which just hits you and is done with it. She also has bats within, which can be both a blessing and a curse, but will save her life more often than other characters (except Duck hunt, I guess) will be able to. She also has the best "Don't touch me" button in the game, bar none. Her disadvantage segues better than any other character in the game to her advantage state, which is, if not the best in the game, really close to it. It's also near impossible to gimp her due to giant hitboxes, the triple jump, a wall jump, her side-b regenerating, and not a single move of hers putting her into freefall.

People will claim her neutral is bad, but as Salem and even Zack in a few select sets have shown us, her neutral is far from it, and it's not at all unreasonable to suggest that she is the single best character at air and platform camping, due to her fast and threatening burst options, and her large, lagless bullet art attacks that chip you from a distance that a lot of characters cannot match. And if you approach wrong, you lose stage control, eat a ton of percent, and generally get bayo'd. The reward on her options is also threatening enough to let Bayo players get away with some very unsafe options in neutral, since if the opponent messes up a punish Bayo either gets away scot-free and continues pelting you with bullets from halfway across the stage, or you eat a ton of percent for it from bayo combos. Bayo's neutral being bad is a bad joke.

I haven't even mentioned Witch Time yet.

Top player sentiment on Twitter seems to be "I hate Bayonetta and would love to never fight her again, but I'm still making money off this game and she isn't broken". a notable exception to this is Manny, who has said that he doesn't travel out of his region out of pocket due to Bayonetta specifically. Dabuz agreed with similar sentiments of his in the past, too.

I don't think Bayonetta is broken enough to be banned in a traditional sense (don't get me started on doubles Cloud, though, but we're never going to do it because nobody cares about doubles). I also don't think we should ban her because she may or may not be impacting viewership, because that sets an awful precedent. HOWEVER, if tournament numbers across the board start to go down with a number of players at all levels citing her specifically for why they quit or aren't attending (hell, even ZeRo has said something similar about why he didn't attend FE saga), or everyone starts switching to her since she has the best matchup with herself of any character, then we have a problem.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Why are we acting like Bayonetta and Cloud were not nerfed? Even Diddy got nerfed. Too bad it wasn't enough to satisfy the community once their mains found ways around it. Too bad Zero, dropped Shiek after the nerfs, I felt like that was that was apart of his identity.

-

This is going to sound really mean but I'm going to sound like I support the Bayonetta ban. If we go through with the "region testing" part, I'd say we should ban her throughout the USA as a whole.

Not only will that send shockwaves through the community, I think the Europe and Japan scenes may call the USA's scenes rules dumber than they already and choose to not enforce them.

I got that thinking from how Europe responded to the proposed reccomended ruleset that was adopted awhile back. Supposedly their intention was to be a reccomended set, yet many scenes in the USA just copied and pasted the ruleset.

-
@Shaya

Yes the whinging part was targeted at you. I was not trying to be rude. I was just confused as to how your posts or sometimes the thread as a whole go from detailed posts with great information, to one that just sounded like complaining to me.

I can't fault you myself because I have done the very same thing earlier in this thread once my emotions hit a limit.

(If this is seen as bad you can move it to another thread or delete it)

To add on even more to the LoL example, I have played the game from seasons 4-6 grinding rank matches to no avail. I even had the nerve to watch several one to three hour long guides for characters, last hitting, etc. I learned that team games or MOBAS in general are not for me.

Never have I seen myself get so addicted to a videogame to where I would play until 8 AM the next day.

Lesson learned.

My nickname for LoL is drugs.

-

Back to Bayonetta, she is currently featured in the CCI thread this week along with Samus.

I have already made my post there which amounts to: "I have not fought Bayonetta offline so I am sorta oblivious to all of the Bayonetta hate. I fought her alone twice, and died to the ladder once. I did not get upset. I told myself that this was perfectly fine and ok. Seriously.

-

Another reason I can think of for Zero Suit Samus avoiding the same fate as Bayonetta (but may not be accurate), is that Nairo is loved by the community ( has a very popular stream online tourney series, and I believe he was one of the first players who brought hype to Smash 4 at touraments), so his "mistakes" are forgiving. By that I am talking about the Boost Kick kills.

Meanwhile, Bayonetta mains do not have the same luxary or fame as Nairo so they and Bayonetta by extension, become the next best prey.

-

ARISTOS ARISTOS

I think your first paragraph is missing the point. I thought we already came to the conclusion that we are banning characters based on how "unfun" they are. I do not think competitive stuff about Zero Suit Samus like precision, is of importance right now (I REALLY cannot think of a better word to lessen the blow on that; even though this is a competitive thread and we are suppose to be talking about competitive stuff).

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Reality check: the USA hasn't implemented a metric system. We didn't ban MK. Changing widespread rules is hard and the comunity's too divided on this issue. We're all spinning our philosophical wheels here. If a local community wants to ban bayo more power to them but it won't become the standard, practical or not.

Several people and I have pointed out how Bayo gets singled out. People dislike how she plays even though most characters have worse MUs than vs her. This chart averages top players' MUs both as and against each character; it's not definitive however an accurate amalgamation of high level opinions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/6y4nu5/comprehensive_matchup_chart_for_all_characters/
If you look at each characters' worst MU it's only Bayo for Fox at -1.4, Corrin -1.1, Pits tied with a few others -1.3, ROB -2.6, Shulk -2.3, Charizard -2.5, DDD -2.6, and Zelda tied at -2.4. So she's 8 characters worst MU (counting Pit and Dark Pit together). She has a great MU spread all around to her credit but Sonic, Diddy, Sheik and other top tiers all give other characters a harder time. I can't speak for others about most disliked MUs; for me Sheik's worse. For a DK player Rosa might be their least liked.
I dunno about the validity of that chart but top shulks and most shulks in general agree that sheik is 1000x more opressive and depressing to fight than bayonetta. Id take constant SDI anyday over getting in sheik's house of horrors.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
hell, even ZeRo has said something similar about why he didn't attend FE saga
There was also that one time where he was wondering if he should just attend a Yugioh tournament rather than enter a major (forgot the name) and have to fight Bayos.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I dunno about the validity of that chart but top shulks and most shulks in general agree that sheik is 1000x more opressive and depressing to fight than bayonetta. Id take constant SDI anyday over getting in sheik's house of horrors.
Yeah the problem with that chart is certain top/high tier character players tend to be overly optimistic. It has Sonic as Link's worst MU.

Q for everyone:
What is your least favorite MU for whatever reason?

Mine is Sheik for Link.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Little Mac, though that's just because my scene has two good ones and I'm sick of fighting them every tournament.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I don’t know know how many of you play the Soul Calibur series, but this reminds me of a very similar issue that occurred when Soul Calibur 4 came out.

Basically, there was a character named Hilde that had a combo called the Doom Combo. It allowed her to ring someone out off of a single hit or have them eat a ton of damage. Despite unimpressive frame data, she was already a top tier character, with excellent evasiveness, and the ability to almost negate some characters options with her movement.

The addition of the Doom Combo pushed the
community into ban talk. Two Hilde’s were present at Evo 2009, and there was more than a little discontent and backlash. “Her players don’t deserve her wins” - for instance.

The SC4 community ultimately decided not to ban, but rather on their most prominent forum, they made a dedicated thread to combatting her and her options. Even her players offered specific things that combatted problem moves and situations for various characters, while detailing what she looked for in neutral.

That thread is still pinned on her character message board.

One thing that I think SolidSense mentioned, was a lack of clear information on what to do. Now thinking about it, I agree. You have to search all over the place on YouTube, in forums, and various other places to get a semblance of an idea.

Discord helps, but it’s more of a chat room, and less of something that you can use as a resource as you would a message board.

I don’t have a solution, other than making a thread to specifically address Bayo. The character specific boards have moved to Discord at this point.

There is so much that is character specific to dealing with her options.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Yeah the problem with that chart is certain top/high tier character players tend to be overly optimistic. It has Sonic as Link's worst MU.

Q for everyone:

Mine is Sheik for Link.
Little Mac.
I personally have terrible reflexes so he can generally do whatever he wants against me, and if I try to use moves to space out, his Super Armor gets through everything.
Despite my personal limitations, I still believe Little Mac's neutral is fantastic and his quick options are threatening, the character is inconsistent by design but he might have "potential" to get better.
:196:

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Q for everyone:

Mine is Sheik for Link.
For the record, what I was saying before is despite actual MU ratios, I'm certain there are Link players who hate Bayo more than anyone else.

For example, Bayo isn't Olimar's worst MU, but Myran really, really hates the character. Bayo hate has nothing to do with MUs.

To answer your question, though - I hate Toon Link most.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Least favourite MUs? Well for Ganon, it's Bayo easily. Bullet Climax hits Ganon right in the head and while he can duck it, his only way around it is jumping with his terrible air speed and awful air to ground options. Plus Ganon's recovery is already terrible and Bayo can just hold A. Also a lot easier to get Witch Timed since Ganon has slow start up as it is and his amazing edgeguarding is made worthless by the massive hitboxes on Witch Twist. One of few generally agreed 7:3 or -/+3 mus in the game and for good reason.

For Mewtwo, probably just Cloud. Edgeguarding him is fine and I've personally had little trouble comboing him too but his hitboxes are so damn big and he's not lacking in kill power. Don't find it too terrible though but I do prefer Ganon vs Cloud.

Falco I'm honestly not too sure, he has quite a few characters that give him trouble. Cloud and other swordies simply bully him and his shield for free because of his trash mobility and grapplers like Mario abuse his high fall speed to combo him like crazy. I haven't really fought any good ones but I think I'd hate Marth the most since he's so ranged and lacks the recovery issues Cloud has. Can't speak too much on Marth himself since I just got back into trying to pick him up.

Back when I used Roy **** the Marth mu. Has a longer sword, a better recovery, more reward for spacing just ugh. Back when I played Robin, lol Fox. Good fun to play the game till you get vortexed.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Little Mac, Toon Link, ROB, and Diddy Kong. Pick any of those four if you want to shut me down.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
There was also that one time where he was wondering if he should just attend a Yugioh tournament rather than enter a major (forgot the name) and have to fight Bayos.
If you're referring to the twitter thread regarding FE saga, that was more of a tongue in cheek comment than anything, it was mainly the lack of a pot bonus and other reasons for not being able to go.

Actually I'm pretty sure this was already discussed prior to that saga, lol.

As for my least favorite matchups? Hyper defensive zoning characters in general.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Going to write a big

I am not in favor of banning Bayonetta

disclaimer at the top of this post because I know I have to, as silly as it is.

But as far as actually banning her goes, I'd like to address the argument about losing her fans brought up by P Pyrover . We have banned things before from smash, such as items and what we've deemed to be janky stages. How many players do you think actively do not attend tournaments because items aren't allowed, or their favorite, most interesting stages aren't allowed? I'm willing to bet that that number is at least triple the size of Bayonetta's playerbase. We're excluding them from tournaments by choosing to play in a fairer environment for those who take competition seriously. So statements like these:

We all signed up to play this janky game knowing that it was the kind of thing where you would sometimes lose matches you didn't deserve to. And then we complain as if that shouldn't be the case.
seem like a misguided attempt at defense of jank. Of course it shouldn't be the case. We go out of our way to ensure fairness.

Banning a character and banning items isn't the same thing, you say? Why not? Why is character love different from item love? Why is items as a class of selectable options less important than hitboxes or character skins?

I love Pokeballs. More than I love any single character in the game. When I play the game for fun (even with other good players, tournament-goers), I definitely turn all the Pokeballs on and play on stages I'd never play on in tournament. But they're banned, because item generation was deemed to be uncompetitive. Precisely because, yes, you sometimes lose matches that you didn't deserve to lose. Note the word sometimes here. Items don't generate true randomness, the better player will still win most of the games with items on; there's even skill in using items at the right time and decisions to be made as to whether to pick certain items up or not. Yet we leave them off, alienating a large portion of the potential tournament playerbase for "no reason."

The same can be said for customs, though I don't want to jump down that rabbit hole, please spare me.

Other issues that I have with your post:

If ZSS had a frame 10 grab or something with no endlag I guarantee you that we would be having the same discussion about her. This is an issue of numbers.

Spikes require setups far more difficult than a Witch Time or a Witch Twist. Most importantly, spikes usually happen when the spiking player is in advantage. Bayonetta's combos often emerge from neutral or disadvantage.

She's boring to watch? The character with a questionable neutral but insane reward is boring to you all?
Salem being able to platform-camp you for an entire game with very limited counterplay options from half the cast is not "questionable neutral." She doesn't need to play neutral well to win, but that doesn't mean that her neutral is poor.

She's a scapegoat that's being used to ignore this community's unhealthy mindset. If she weeds out the people who make a community toxic, then she's improving the game.
I don't think I have to explain how narrow-minded/elitist this perspective is; merely quoting it seems to be enough.

Bookending for clarity: I don't want to see Bayonetta banned, and it won't happen.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
The_Bookworm The_Bookworm

Everything in this video barring: zap jump, zap throw, magnet pull, single pkt1 loop, down tilt trips, grab release to down tilt trip to up smash, and slopedashing.

Dustersliding is now coined the SnakeSkip in smash 4.

If you are lucky enough to have a piece of equipment with the smooth lander property, you can create a makeshift magnet pull.

Last edited:

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Fox is definitely the biggest pain in my Palutanus.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
RE: Bayonetta

I'm not exactly a Bayonetta enthusiast: I strongly believe some of our options cover space she shouldn't be able to cover so easily, as almost no other characters can, or offer a reward that's disproportionate & unreasonable.

However, i also believe that a fair amount of players are arguably garbage at fighting Bayonetta and haven't attempted to work on basic assets that could be used in order to fight her better. People would rather focus on trying to make Bayonetta be less of a threat once she's got you in Advantage State, despite the claims that her neutral is not the best. Shouldn't you be trying to exploit the weaker assets of a character first, before trying to alleviate for a state where Bayonetta needs to win over you, with only okay mobility & unsafe moves if you're both spacing yourself correctly and the Bayonetta player is in a mindset of getting the Advantage through combo starters ( which most are ) to do so?

For those who have watched Mistake vs MKLeo, do you think what MKLeo does is particularly skilled & not replicable in the slighest? And do remind yourself that he's doing it with Marth: A character that, despite having disjoints, isn't exactly known for an exceptional Out-of-Shield game. I wouldn't say Bayonetta's a telegraphed character, but with some good space awareness, you can nail down a range where a fair amount, if not almost all of Bayonetta's moves will be unsafe.Couple that with the awareness that, as of now, most Bayonettas will be using her damage racking ability as a means of pushing you towards more unsafe behaviors of any kind, rather than camping legitimately. That same awareness of space can also be used to make Bayonetta's disadvantage a little worse: A character with moves with such a defined trajectory & reach shouldn't have their disadvantage state be put at such a high pedestal, nor deemed unbeatable. I can understand the will to focus on ledgetrapping rather than edgeguarding for some characters, or the fear of messing up for characters that really can't go that deep, but some other characters have no excuse. This argument was mentioned even back in the days of Pre-patch Bayo, but it still applies: Bayo's damage output out of combos rarely is that impressive. Factors that make Bayonetta's Advantage so fearsome are moreso related to positioning & rage, factors that some characters can work to alleviate decently enough, whether through them not needing to commit to reach Bayo, or they can kill efficiently enough. The rest of them, along with the possible poor out of shield options or lack of decently fast disjoints, may be struggling to fight Bayonetta, but what can i say? Were you expecting potentially the best character in the game to not overwhelm a few characters? And for these people, it works just as in any other fighting game: They could work with their specific options & find holes within the top tier or a repeated habit that's likely to be found, and exploit it, or if needs be, just switch characters & use a character you're more comfortable with. If a Melee DK main found themselves struggling too much with Icies, they could always train their Fox to drillshine Nana away, or punch her away with Ganon's strong moves.

Of course it's disheartening to watch Brood or Raito lose to Chag's rage Bayonetta combo at 50% after dealing 150% to her, but they weren't exempt of any flaws either, whether it's them messing their ledgetrapping at crucial times, or taking more of a backseat with their lead & focus on spacing themselves with zoning still present but put behind as a means of being able to answer whatever Chag was likely to attempt with an UpTilt, Nair, Bair, or whatever kills with Duck Hunt.

And yes, i don't like to watch or play against Bayonetta either. I may get frustrated and post rants about her in whatever chat there is. But that's mostly out of my will to watch others succeed, or for my own sake. In the end, the dissapointment of seeing that SexyFurryJew69 upset a good player only to be a Bayonetta main is one of the many things that i feel has to be dealt with just because she's a Top Tier character, just like Cloud or Diddy. She's bound to frustrate those seeking variety, but that's something to be expected from almost all Top Tiers. It shouldn't be enough of a reason to warrant a ban. The somewhat effortless & whiny nature of Smash 4 and its players until a certain level has lead into lots of players wanting to ban her or otherwise, they'd quit. This part of the community might unfortunately represent a big enough part for Bayo's ban to actually happen. If it does happen, I will consider it as yet another showcase of Smash 4 players being fooled by their eyes & the perception they have that Advantage State is everything, or that there isn't something to be done to fight players such as Mistake a little better.

PS: Do people legitimately think Witch Time is the most broken move in Bayo's set? It is indeed a very strong move, but i wouldn't say it's as incredibly good as Witch Twist: A Frame 4 Up-B that combo starts & enables Bayo's potential to kill characters at low% through the fact it can be used several times. Try thinking about taking out Witch Time off of Bayo, then Witch Twist, then tell me which version of Bayonetta is better. I think the answer's fairly obvious.

Top Bottom