• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Cool to think about, although I think normal Mario is the most instructive character, for being a better character and being designed for newcomers. Dr. Mario, imo, works better as an instructive character in Melee (which SSBM Tutorials mentioned).

Miis are still restricted to 1111, but un-restricting them is controversial because there is the whole size mechanic that the Miis have as well.

Swordfighter with customs is essentially a worse version of Link (I say around low tier), Gunner is around the same potency of Samus but it is difficult to test to see if it is true (I say around mid tier), but Brawler is potentially a high tier character with some arguing that it can even be top tier although I doubt it.
I was thinking moreso just freeing their specials. Freeing sizes and specials, I agree likely puts Swordfighter in low, Gunner in mid and Brawler at least in high. Freeing just specials keeps Swordfighter likely in bottom, boosts Brawler up to low maybe and Gunner pretty much just stays where they are, maybe up a spot or two.

Interesting topic brought up by Thinkaman there too. In support of Doc being more instructive, he's one of the few characters that makes you actually have to value your recovery since his is so bad whereas most in the game are free and he's also not overly focused on grabbing like Mario is nor does he need to heavily rely on a smash attack for KOs.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Freeing just specials keeps Swordfighter likely in bottom, boosts Brawler up to low maybe and Gunner pretty much just stays where they are, maybe up a spot or two.
With specials, I can't see Swordfighter staying bottom. He gains a real recovery, good projectiles, a good OoS option, and a kill confirm off jab. He's still probably worse than Pac-Man, but he's not bottom tier (assuming F-tier is low and not bottom; if F is bottom, I agree)

While I don’t want to downplay this too hard, Bayo’s frame data is less... adaptable than say, Sheik’s. Top level Bayos are essentially running combo algorithms depending on what you did the previous time you got caught. It’s still ultimately an anticipation/prediction game. They can’t adapt on the fly as easily as Sheik or Fox can. The frame data on her buttons just isn’t there.

Did you SDI Wtw 1 straight up to get out? They may try to catch you in a different spot of the move, or attempt to go straight into Wtw 2 next time. But that is assuming that you won’t completely mix it up. If you SDI down and away and they use Wtw 2, suddenly they have used up an extra spell, are far higher up, and now are more limited for escape.

Honestly, and I’ll go in depth at some point lately, but the best player who does SDI/DI mix ups is probably Choco. Before he even figured out the MU in neutral, he was mixing up his SDI almost a year before it was widely disseminated in the West - post Genesis 5. It’s presumably why Aba started to go more Mewtwo than Bayo, for instance.
On a tangentially related note, people still don't punish Bayo's combo starters nearly as much as they should. Heel slide is the obvious example, though people are punishing it much more than they were a few months ago, but I never see people punishing Dtilt, which is a free dash grab for a large portion of the cast, or Wtw on shield. And yes, Wtw is punishable on shield. There was one JeBB vs WaDi set (I'd find it but there are too many JeBB vs WaDi sets) where WaDi punished a Wtw on shield with SH Nair, a frame 12 OoS option that has a terrible hitbox on an extremely tall character with the 15th highest short hop in the game.

Edit: Found it.
It was FH Nair, not SH Nair, but the point still stands. He did the same thing in another set but with SH Uair, which is even slower.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Is the norm for Miis still restricted to 1111? I know size has pretty much never been allowed but I thought it was becoming more and more acceptable to not limit the character's who are entirely focused around customization. Granted, I don't think that alone would get Swordfighter out of bottom tier and it'd probably just be enough to get Brawler to just be low tier.
Most tournaments in my state alllow only 1111 aside sometimes at less serious weeklies so I can't speak to how consistently free Miis are in different states and regions. All customs Mii Sword wouldn't be much better but gunner and brawler get alot better with their customs. Brawler in particular gets a really nasty kill confirm with down throw Piston Punch that kills some characters as early as 50 with some rage and a better recovery option which is two things his 1111 set lacks big time.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
All customs Mii Sword wouldn't be much better but gunner and brawler get alot better with their customs.
Gunner really doesn't get much off customs, besides a hitbox on her Up-B. She already has her best Side-B, Grenade Launcher isn't much better than Charge Shot if at all, and Bomb Drop is only good if you don't use Flame Pillar, which you do.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Most tournaments in my state alllow only 1111 aside sometimes at less serious weeklies so I can't speak to how consistently free Miis are in different states and regions. All customs Mii Sword wouldn't be much better but gunner and brawler get alot better with their customs. Brawler in particular gets a really nasty kill confirm with down throw Piston Punch that kills some characters as early as 50 with some rage and a better recovery option which is two things his 1111 set lacks big time.
I remember people used smawler.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
  • What determines which move wins?
  • What are all the moves available?
  • How are the rewards for winning moves evaluated?
  • Now that I am making informed Yomi decisions, how can I beat my opponent at Yomi?
Hrmm I have my own answers for this but I think only the first one works.
To answer question one my first response was "That's easy! Priority!" but then I remembered it was more than that "Wait you also need to include move range, spread (where the move covers horizontally as well as vertically and where the hitbox covers along that range) and your opponents positioning as well as the speed which the move comes out (move frames and also FAFs of your opponents moves.)" It's confusing as frick to get the first one down as your opponent is constantly on the move and each move has different priorities, disjoints, ranges and spreads. A lot of people first coming into smash want a move that covers a ridiculous amount of range in a very short period of time and does a lot of damage. Then they find out that Smash isn't that simple.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I remember people used smawler.
Smawler is the reason default size Miis are usually the only allowed ones but the Brawler setup I'm talking about isn't Smawler. Regular Mii Bralwer has access to his great kill confirm around 50-80 depending on character and your and their percentages off down throw with Piston Punch which helps his viability shoot up as now he has something his 1111 set doesn't have a kill confirm and a good one at that.

Smawler's is much more potent and legit can kill you at zero if you get grabbed at the wrong position, ontop of other things that make Smawler insane.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Smawler is the reason default size Miis are usually the only allowed ones but the Brawler setup I'm talking about isn't Smawler. Regular Mii Bralwer has access to his great kill confirm around 50-80 depending on character and your and their percentages off down throw with Piston Punch which helps his viability shoot up as now he has something his 1111 set doesn't have a kill confirm and a good one at that.

Smawler's is much more potent and legit can kill you at zero if you get grabbed at the wrong position, ontop of other things that make Smawler insane.
Mmhmm, just a strong character overall. If other movesets were permitted, miis would probably be better characters.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You know there's a thread for custo- aww forget it.
As for 1111 Miis, I don't know if they're worse than Puff and DDD, but 1111 Swordfighter has the worst recovery in the game.
1111 butterknife fighter's sideB is a burst option that works as a recovery. He's leagues above recoveries like Ganon and Mac's.

I thought it was Helicopter kick? Whatever the case, custom Brawler gets the DK treatment; give a bad character an OP kill confirm from grab. Between that and Faint Jump he's at least high tier and Twisted Metal small brawl is easily top tier.

Swordfighter's garbage no matter what you give him. Gunner might get a little from customs but wouldn't ascend past low tier. Gunner's a solid character but with undertuned power that drags him down. Customs don't really fix that.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
I want to give my opinion on the customs fro mii's discussion the mii's would probably get a lot from customs but I don't know how much they would help them brawler whould probably get a lot from customs being legal but I'm not sure about mii gunner and swordfighter

I don't think customs should be legal because too many of them are extremely overpowered like
Kong Cyclone
Timber Counter
Lightweight And Helicopter Kick

small mii brawler would definitely get a lot if customs where legal

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

1111 butterknife fighter's sideB is a burst option that works as a recovery. He's leagues above recoveries like Ganon and Mac's.

I thought it was Helicopter kick? Whatever the case, custom Brawler gets the DK treatment; give a bad character an OP kill confirm from grab. Between that and Faint Jump he's at least high tier and Twisted Metal small brawl is easily top tier.

Swordfighter's garbage no matter what you give him. Gunner might get a little from customs but wouldn't ascend past low tier. Gunner's a solid character but with undertuned power that drags him down. Customs don't really fix that.
Gunner may ascend past low tier due to how versatile Grenade Launch is, but won't get anywhere past lower-mid tier. I still don't think Smaller would be top tier, since it's range would be trash (almost Melee Ness levels), it would be a very light character, and it's recovery would be still mediocre (though it is still an improvement from the default). Giving normal Brawler a powerful KO confirm isn't really that much to make him high tier since his other weaknesses are still glaring.

Piston Punch and Helicopter Kick, despite the latter move being mainly preferred, functions rather similarly and can be easily interchanged to your liking.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Gunner may ascend past low tier due to how versatile Grenade Launch is, but won't get anywhere past lower-mid tier. I still don't think Smaller would be top tier, since it's range would be trash (almost Melee Ness levels), it would be a very light character, and it's recovery would be still mediocre (though it is still an improvement from the default). Giving normal Brawler a powerful KO confirm isn't really that much to make him high tier since his other weaknesses are still glaring.

Piston Punch and Helicopter Kick, despite the latter move being mainly preferred, functions rather similarly and can be easily interchanged to your liking.
Brawler's an extremely mobile character with the 6th best air speed and Feint Jump makes up for his poor upB distance. He has an above average recovery.
Brawler's always been a grappler/weave and counter character. Customs give him something about as strong as ding dong, depending on stage position, and a worse but still good version of ZSS' flip kick. He doesn't have the disadvantage weakness fat grapplers have but keeps their perks. Several top tiers are light, Sheik, Fox, Rosa... it's not enough to bring good characters down.

IDK exactly how light small miis are?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Brawler's an extremely mobile character with the 6th best air speed and Feint Jump makes up for his poor upB distance. He has an above average recovery.
Brawler's always been a grappler/weave and counter character. Customs give him something about as strong as ding dong, depending on stage position, and a worse but still good version of ZSS' flip kick. He doesn't have the disadvantage weakness fat grapplers have but keeps their perks. Several top tiers are light, Sheik, Fox, Rosa... it's not enough to bring good characters down.

Rather light. I cannot find precisely how light though. Their raw damage output is also lowered when the Mii is small, which makes it imperative to land a combo to make it up for it. I also mistakenly exaggerated the the Brawler's recovery with customs on, although a Helicopter Kick set, even with Feint Jump, lacks much vertical distance.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman

Smawler is stupidly mobile. 6th best air speed plus a fantastic run speed gives him a level of mobility only match by Sonic, Falcon, and Limit Cloud. On top of that, while having small range, Smawler would be less susceptible to sword characters because he is a crazy good rushdown character. His Side-B (The multi-hit into Uppercut one) actually has a higher priority than Heel Slide, and kills at around 110% on lighter characters. Helicopter kick is always a good kill move as are some other attacks.

Basically, Smawler has fantastic mobility and frame data, great killpower, a kill confirm, escape options (Down-B and Side-B), good combos, and is only really counterbalanced by his range (which given his mobility and high priority isn't much of a problem), and his recovery, which is somewhat mitigated by his airspeed. He's like if Fox had a kill confirm and guaranteed throw combos. Top 7 character for sure.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
smashwiki might not be a 100% reliable source but it says that default mii weight is 100, there is a rather marginal loss of 3 units for the lightest mii fighters, and an even less meaningful gain of 2 for the heaviest.

in other words there is literally no reason to use heavy miis

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
smashwiki might not be a 100% reliable source but it says that default mii weight is 100, there is a rather marginal loss of 3 units for the lightest mii fighters, and an even less meaningful gain of 2 for the heaviest.

in other words there is literally no reason to use heavy miis
There is: better range, KO power, and survialbility (even if it is that small). I say Mii Swordfighter benefits from this the most.
Smawler is stupidly mobile. 6th best air speed plus a fantastic run speed gives him a level of mobility only match by Sonic, Falcon, and Limit Cloud. On top of that, while having small range, Smawler would be less susceptible to sword characters because he is a crazy good rushdown character. His Side-B (The multi-hit into Uppercut one) actually has a higher priority than Heel Slide, and kills at around 110% on lighter characters. Helicopter kick is always a good kill move as are some other attacks.

Basically, Smawler has fantastic mobility and frame data, great killpower, a kill confirm, escape options (Down-B and Side-B), good combos, and is only really counterbalanced by his range (which given his mobility and high priority isn't much of a problem), and his recovery, which is somewhat mitigated by his airspeed. He's like if Fox had a kill confirm and guaranteed throw combos. Top 7 character for sure.
That side B is not that great: unsafe on shield and very unreliable for recovery a lot of the times. It has other moves that does that move's job better. It is very difficult to put his theory to good use considering the ban to custom moves, the strengths of characters in top/high tier, and it's polarized strengths and weaknesses. Remember when we used logic like this similarly with Yoshi? Funny how that turned out.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
People did overrate Yoshi but it was a pre patch game too. Shield safety hurt him, the power creep sent several characters above him like Marcina, Bowser and DK, and his main bad DLC MUs like Cloud hadn't come out yet.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
People did overrate Yoshi but it was a pre patch game too. Shield safety hurt him, the power creep sent several characters above him like Marcina, Bowser and DK, and his main bad DLC MUs like Cloud hadn't come out yet.
Guess that is true, but what I am trying to say is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions until it is truly tested.:)

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace

Funny you mention those two. Both also have a burst option that works as a recovery for a side-b, and neither's is ****ing terrible. See, here's the thing about Sword's side-B 1: It puts you in helpless regardless of whether or not it hits, and it bounces off like Bouncing Fish on hit, meaning it is approximately as useful for recovering as Rollout. It's really not a point in his favor.

Smawler is stupidly mobile. 6th best air speed plus a fantastic run speed gives him a level of mobility only match by Sonic, Falcon, and Limit Cloud.
Those are the guest size mobility specs. Smawler has an airspeed of ~1.42, a full .14 above Yoshi. His run speed is 6th fastest in the game ahead of Greninja, and his walk speed is 5th. Additionally, his perfect pivot is better than Mewtwo's. "Stupidly mobile" sells him short.

On top of that, while having small range, Smawler would be less susceptible to sword characters because he is a crazy good rushdown character. His Side-B (The multi-hit into Uppercut one) actually has a higher priority than Heel Slide, and kills at around 110% on lighter characters. Helicopter kick is always a good kill move as are some other attacks.
Say it with me now: High priority moves do not exist. The highest level of priority besides transcendent is the default priority level.

Basically, Smawler has fantastic mobility and frame data, great killpower, a kill confirm, escape options (Down-B and Side-B),
Frame 19 moves with no invuln that put me in helpless are my favorite kind of escape option.

good combos, and is only really counterbalanced by his range (which given his mobility and high priority isn't much of a problem), and his recovery, which is somewhat mitigated by his airspeed. He's like if Fox had a kill confirm and guaranteed throw combos. Top 7 character for sure.
And didn't have fair footstool or utilt, which is kinda important.

Swordfighter's garbage no matter what you give him.
Really? What if you gave him a + on drop jab and dtilt, a kill confirm off said jab, a great walk speed, a really good projectile, a good grab game, and a run speed better than Marth's, among other stupid bull****? People underestimate the stupidity of the Small buffs.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
ESAM released a new video talking about exploitation of Luigi's recovery.
This is a new anti-Luigi edgeguard technique founded by ESAM

He talks about how to exploit Luigi's Up B and it was very easy.
He notes that Luigi's Up B in the air has very little knockback and because of that, you can immediately retaliate his Up B with a frame 3-4 aerial after he hits you.
There is more information about it so you can watch.

That is it for now, what is your response? Well Bye!

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

He notes that Luigi's Up B in the air has very little knockback and because of that, you can immediately retaliate his Up B with a frame 3-4 aerial after he hits you.

This definitely makes Luigi's recovery even more exploitable than it already is. I am interested on how many characters are able to take advantage of this discovery.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Rip Elegant, that or Luigi will have to rely on cyclone more.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

Still not worth the risk of getting dunked at 5% but Luigi offstage. That video didn't include cyclone at all, so that's probably a huge factor. Elegant doesn't delay his up b so much like that much anyways to recover if not using cyclone.

So a little niche against Luigi for mostly some extra damage, but it isn't really groundbreaking or anything. It's still just as scary as before to go offstage against Luigi, and i wouldn't feel anymore confident doing it as Pikachu of Ganondorf anytime soon.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Some other Small Mii stuff, while I'm at it:

• Smawler's Nair has 8 frames of landing lag and is 0 vs OoS when you land with it. He also has a safe frame 2 jab and a frame 6 grab. That is super free pressure right there.
  • Speaking of free pressure, though slightly less so, Small Sword's bair is -2 OoS.
  • Small Sword's projectiles are complete bull****, assuming they get affected by the attack endlag modifier.
  • Both Smawler and Small Sword, who already had two great grabs, now have ridiculously low endlag on their grabs (again, assuming they're affected by the attack endlag modifier). As in frame 6, FAF 26-27 low. Easily two of the best grabs in the game.
  • Small Sword's Uair is kinda like if Cloud's Uair did 15.5% and had a frame less landing lag.
  • Small Gunner's fair is 0 OoS at point blank and something like +11 OoS at max range. It's dumb. If only she had literally any other good moves in neutral.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Still not worth the risk of getting dunked at 5% but Luigi offstage. That video didn't include cyclone at all, so that's probably a huge factor. Elegant doesn't delay his up b so much like that much anyways to recover if not using cyclone.

So a little niche against Luigi for mostly some extra damage, but it isn't really groundbreaking or anything. It's still just as scary as before to go offstage against Luigi, and i wouldn't feel anymore confident doing it as Pikachu of Ganondorf anytime soon.
Cyclone has a quite bit a ending lag to it. Although it is risky to intercept, especially for those inexperienced for the matchup, get your timing right and Luigi may be too far away to recover back even with this exploit.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Pon :4ganondorf: has just been fully funded for Hyrule Saga! He was behind 1/10th of the amount only a week ago, so that was quick. This is great, right @adom4?

Edit: Izaw :4link: has also been fully funded for Hyrule Saga too! But the Ganondorf mains are showing up this time.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
GOML 2018 is more stacked that I ever thought. It is indeed an A tier event! There are currently 445 attendees.

PGR'ed Players
Nairo:4zss:
MKLeo:4marth::4cloud2:
Tweek:4bayonetta2::4cloud2:
Dabuz:rosalina:
Larry Lurr:4fox:
VoiD:4sheik:
Mr. R:4sheik:
Elegant:4luigi:
WaDi:4mewtwo:
Mistake:4bayonetta2:
Ally:4mario:
komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic:
Cosmos:4corrinf:
ANTi:4mario::4cloud2::4zss:
ESAM:4pikachu:
Samsora:4peach:
Lima:4bayonetta2:
MVD:4diddy:
Zinoto:4diddy:
NAKAT:4fox::4ness:
Charlie:4fox::4bayonetta:
Fatality:4falcon:
falln:rosalina:
K9sbruce:4sheik::4diddy:

Non-PGR'ed Notable Players
Locus:4ryu:
Captain L:4pikachu:
SuperGirlKels:4sonic:
Blacktwins:4cloud2::4mario:
Glutonny:4wario:
Thunder:4ryu:
Blank:4sheik:
Venom:4ryu:
Big D:4mario::4falcon:
DSS:4metaknight:
blanc:4wendy:
SDX:4mewtwo:
Kiraflax:4darkpit::4pit:
Glare:4bayonetta2:
pu55yk1ing:4littlemac:
Angel Cortez:4diddy:
Smokk:4diddy:
Deathhorse:4mewtwo:
V115:4zss:
Alphicans:4littlemac:

Bonus
Hungrybox:4jigglypuff::4mario:
Rishi (Don't know who he mains in SSB4)
Ninkendo (lol)

This is definitely one of this season's biggest events.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace

I wouldn't say it's super risky if your character has a decent recovery or you don't make the mistake of using your jump and then getting hit by up b. In the video he even gave an example of Ganondorf doing it. Tha obviously isn't groundbreaking or anything but if you manage to get Luigi off stage and he has to go for Up B to make it back (which does happen he won't always be in a position where he can cyclone). If you can abuse this you'll likely will get a kill provided the Luigi is at high enough percentage as he will only have up b left to recover with which goes nowhere horizontally.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I dunno if Rishi has a main. But he was one of the best Kirby players in S4 before he started focusing exclusively on Melee.

He also has a Lucina and many, many other characters.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
GOML 2018 is more stacked that I ever thought. It is indeed an A tier event! There are currently 445 attendees.

PGR'ed Players

Bonus
Ninkendo (lol)

actually get on my level 2017 has 1 more attendant in smash 4 singles (Yes I'm serious)

but get on my level 2018 has more pgr players so there is that

Rizen

Smash Legend
Really? What if you gave him a + on drop jab and dtilt, a kill confirm off said jab, a great walk speed, a really good projectile, a good grab game, and a run speed better than Marth's, among other stupid bull****? People underestimate the stupidity of the Small buffs.
I meant :4miisword: isn't improved much via customs.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

PGR'ed Players

Bonus
Ninkendo (lol)

This event is stacked, I look forward to seeing how this year's GOML plays compared to last year's.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Last year's goml from what I remember was rather lacking in comparison to 2016 and this year, not nearly as many pgr'ed attended (which was a shame tbh)

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
I'm really excited for this year's Get On My Level I'm definitely going to be watching the tournament live

Q&A who do you think will win the tournament

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I'm really excited for this year's Get On My Level I'm definitely going to be watching the tournament live

I think either MKLeo or Nairo, but also Dabuz or Tweek depending on how they perform and their brackets.
Last year's goml from what I remember was rather lacking in comparison to 2016 and this year, not nearly as many pgr'ed attended (which was a shame tbh)
Last year's was disappointing in comparison to other ilerations, but I also remembered that San:4myfriends: got 4th-ish there, so it was interesting despite it being less stacked than other GOML's.

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Last year's was disappointing in comparison to other ilerations, but I also remembered that San:4myfriends: got 4th-ish there, so it was interesting despite it being less stacked than other GOML's.
i do want to point out something funny last year's goml actually has 1 more attendant but has way less pgr players just something funny i though i would point out

Iridium

Smash Hero

PGR'ed Players

Bonus
Ninkendo (lol)

I need to see Ally or Mr. R make top 8 (both would be better). Too bad the seeding may make it difficult. Would be nice to see, though.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Honestly Nairo, MkLeo, Dabuz, and Tweek all have a chance of winning, it's pretty hard to say seeing as they are all very talented players.

Top Bottom