• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I'm reminded of whenever Lucas was brought up, you made it your mission to argue his shortcomings. I really enjoyed those conversations because we made them as productive as possible.

-

Have you guys thought of population size for a country/continent when it comes to a scene's size? I think that might play a factor in attendance numbers for different scenes across the globe in regards to PGR.
Attendance numbers are notably considered a factor throughout the PGR. However, it isn't everything, as the European scene would get much larger attention if attendance was only accounted. They do have strong talent there outside of Mr. R, but it isn't as strong (mostly in terms of more players with talent, not degree of talent) as other regions like Japan and, of course, the US.

This does bring up something else in mind. Usually the PGR's rankings are determined on both talent and attendance. This usually why Japan events are lower tiered than American events of similar attendance. They usually don't look at other regions (besides Mexico) for that reason. However, what the Smash Masters League will do, is bring the talent to often overlooked regions, and establish the PGR at that region (in other words, make the region a part of PGR). This may make notes for them whether they add any future regional events to the PGR for that region, especially with Smash Switch coming. Props to them for this.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
the thing about zss' dash grab that people don't bring up often enough is the fact that it practically catches you from halfway across final destination and is borderline (if not outright) unreactable. it gives her this ridiculous grounded threat range that only a handful of characters can even hope to come close to, and is almost singlehandedly why landing against her is a pipe dream.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
the thing about zss' dash grab that people don't bring up often enough is the fact that it practically catches you from halfway across final destination and is borderline (if not outright) unreactable. it gives her this ridiculous grounded threat range that only a handful of characters can even hope to come close to, and is almost singlehandedly why landing against her is a pipe dream.
It's unreactable at point-blank, but borderline otherwise.
Take Ally's Usmashes, they beat aerials, slower moves and any time a hurtbox occupies that space. They lose to spaced disjoints, bait and punish and shield but are difficult to punish with the latter 2 if he keeps the option unpredictable. Sure Usmash will get punished hard if it was Mario's only option but then he has a scary grab game, RAR Bair etc. What always loses is being in a danger zone and doing nothing.
You have 13 frames to react to an upsmash hitting your shield, not including the move's startup animation. Whether or not it's predictable doesn't really matter there. Punishing Mario's upsmash is character dependent, not player dependent.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for my little rant before. I know what I said was really aggressive, and I apologize for that, J0eyboi J0eyboi . It seems like I personally insulted you in some way, which was not my intention, and if you want to argue with me about MK's placement, I'll be more mature about it, and actually give you a thought-provoking conversation. As for the normal posters on this thread, sorry for the miniature flamewar. I have some other life stuff going on, and I let my anger and irrationality into my comment. I'm sorry.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's unreactable at point-blank, but borderline otherwise.

You have 13 frames to react to an upsmash hitting your shield, not including the move's startup animation. Whether or not it's predictable doesn't really matter there. Punishing Mario's upsmash is character dependent, not player dependent.
Yes provided you shield it in the first place, which requires a prediction. OoS options are easy muscle memory done on reaction, provided you choose the proper OoS for the situation. Shielding Usmash or using the other options I talked about are either a read or already having the space occupied by a hitbox or grab. Whatever the case, Mario's Usmash becomes less safe the more predictable it gets. Same with every move. There are no completely safe CQC attacks; everything, even Diddy's Dtilt loses to certain options. Some moves of course are much safer than others.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
There's a running joke on the Marcina Discord where they call Hyrule Saga Sheik Saga. Does anybody know if Void is attending, because if so, I really want Void to win his first supermajor.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
There's a running joke on the Marcina Discord where they call Hyrule Saga Sheik Saga. Does anybody know if Void is attending, because if so, I really want Void to win his first supermajor.
I jokingly called it throughout this thread 2GG: Sheik Invasion.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I kind of don't want the Hyrule mains to meet each other in pools, if possible, considering how all of the Hyrule characters are bodied by Sheik. Also, is it just me, or has Mr. R not been attending as many tournaments this season?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I kind of don't want the Hyrule mains to meet each other in pools, if possible, considering how all of the Hyrule characters are bodied by Sheik. Also, is it just me, or has Mr. R not been attending as many tournaments this season?
I am currently gathering data on each player's progress in v5. Mr. R participated in Genesis 5 (9th), Frostbite 2018 (5th), and EGLX 2018 (9th).

Yeah, he isn't participating as much as before.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
Take a look at the Glitch 4 Bracket projections and seating it makes no sense

https://smash.gg/tournament/glitch-4/events/smash-4-singles/brackets/251539

It predicts that WaDi will beat Mistake but Lose to Lima even though WaDi beat Lima at EGLX 2018

https://smash.gg/tournament/eglx-2018-smash/events/smash4-singles-at-eglx-2018/brackets?filter={"phaseId":217931}

And lost to Mistake at Mason Versus Mr.e

https://smash.gg/tournament/mason-v...-bonus/events/smash-4-singles/brackets/210501

And it predicts that Lima will beat Tweek and Dabuz witch speaks for itself

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Take a look at the Glitch 4 Bracket projections and seating it makes no sense

https://smash.gg/tournament/glitch-4/events/smash-4-singles/brackets/251539

It predicts that WaDi will beat Mistake but Lose to Lima even though WaDi beat Lima at EGLX 2018

https://smash.gg/tournament/eglx-2018-smash/events/smash4-singles-at-eglx-2018/brackets?filter={"phaseId":217931}

And lost to Mistake at Mason Versus Mr.e

https://smash.gg/tournament/mason-v...-bonus/events/smash-4-singles/brackets/210501

And it predicts that Lima will beat Tweek and Dabuz witch speaks for itself
Lima confirmed best player in tournament?

Anyways, I created a thread that has each PGR player's progress throughout the PGR v5. I am eventually doing to add players that may potentially be in the new PGR as well. Don't be afraid to mention potential players, and any tournaments or PGR wins that I may have missed.
https://smashboards.com/threads/tracking-pgred-players-for-pgr-v5.454345/
This thread, similarly to my PGR v5 / PGR v4 Recap thread, will be regularly updated as the season continues.

Last edited:

EMT~

Smash Cadet
Its good to see another Zelda main attending, she's a really underrated character.
If you don't mind, could you explain why you think that?

I, for one, love watching good Zeldas play in any Smash game because there's just something really interesting about how her character plays and about her overall moveset design and that one Plup-Armada set. But that same moveset/character attribute design has always seemed inherently dysfunctional. Simply put, not being able to approach + not being able to force approaches = not exactly good for your character, and Zelda fits this to a T. Not-great mobility in a game like Smash doesn't help either. And these flaws, in my opinion, boil straight down to her core moveset and character attributes. Not issues with having a generally solid but undertuned moveset (like Puff) or having the game mechanics hate your guts (like Puff). It's not a surprise, in my opinion, that Zelda has been low-to-bottom tier in literally EVERY Smash game she has appeared in.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
It's not what they need to know. It's what they need to care.

Lemme tell you a story about my mom.

My family grew up watching college basketball, which everyone in Kentucky knows is the only sport the good Lord intended his creation to play. But opposite the madness of March, some people dabble in watching football.

Not my mom. Football was "too complicated" for her. All the downs and positions, sometimes they carry the ball and sometimes they kick it, different players for offense and defense? The core rules to american football might be 10x more simple than any esport, but it's still 10x more complex than other traditional sports. All this sportsball nonsense got a polite no-thanks from my mother.

American football, as observed by my mother.

The notion that my mom was incapable of understanding football could not be further from the truth. This was a woman with a master's, a successful career in banking, and encyclopedic knowledge of everything about tennis you could ever ask. But the look on her face when football was on the screen was the same look when I'd try to get her to play Catan: A polite laugh followed by a joke that she'd never understand it.

To be fair, the Catan rulebook is a whopping 7th grade reading level.

It's the same look I see on a kid's face when I'm trying to teach him some basic math concept, or my face when my fiancée tries to show me a new recipe, or the face of literally anyone seeing any advertisement.

Advertisers don't worry about people not understanding their ad. They want your attention, your memory, your focus. People in marketing will sacrifice kittens to Cthulhu if means getting your brain to follow along for just five seconds. And they really do operate on seconds--they know in most mediums they have only about 3-5 seconds to make an impression, and past that the audience is a lost cause. (An increasing number of video ad platforms are starting to cap ads at 6 seconds, because the data clearly shows that time past that is useless for almost all ads.)

You think 6 seconds is a short time? That's enough for THREE of these.

But then one day, something happened that made my mother, whose interests are primarily taxes, cats, and fresh produce, to start watching football.

Did the commentary or coverage change? Nope. Did the rules stop being "so complicated"? Good one.

But my sister had started college at Ole Miss.

Their mascot had to be changed in 2010 to make sure no one would somehow mistake Mississippi as racist.

It is my understanding that the only departments at Ole Miss are Football, Greek Life, and Confederate Flag Weaving--and all students are required to triple major. And while my supportive mother didn't adopt freshman hazing or casual racism, she sure did take to the gridiron.

Suddenly she could not only tell me the rules of football, but also the stats and academic probation status of every starting player. She'd fill me in on what Player A said about Player B on Twitter, and I don't think she knows what Twitter is. And, most importantly, she could point out which boy on the field was in my sister's math class and kept asking her out.

The moment my mom had a reason to care, she went from a football luddite to a regular caller on The Paul Finebaum Show.

Maybe it was Paul's relentless 4-hour coverage of the SEC that hooked my mom, but I doubt it.

We are not conspiring about how to make people who want to watch Smash do it. (That's trivial!) We are conspiring about how to make people who don't want to watch Smash do it. Which is hard, but surely no harder than getting my mother excited about chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Random Joe isn't going to click a Smash stream and try to figure out who Nairo is. Only Decidedly-Non-Random Joe does that. Random Joe is going to see a Smash stream and decide in 3-5 seconds if they are going to keep watching or go back to Fortnite.

At least the deck is stacked in our favor. We've got eye-catching Nintendo characters. We've got ever-improving casters. And the game is just inherently great to spectate, heads and shoulders above literally every other video game. (Single screen action, clear success states, minimal visual noise, implicit "I like Yoshi" character-based tribal affiliation, the list goes on)

I have played this game for 9 years and have no idea what is going on here. We take for granted how clear Smash is.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter how easy it is to figure out that Nario is playing the skinny blue chick. (Because you're right, it's super easy.) The trick is getting an uninterested viewer to figure it out subconsciously before his 3-5 seconds are up, and that requires a broadcasting culture focused professionally around that objective--rather than memes.

The audience for any growth-oriented media is always people just tuning in, not Twitch chat.
Hmm...I think the best way to accomplish getting people who don't want to watch Smash to watch it is to put it on regular television (we got a bit of a taste of that with Disney airing EVO Smash Grand Finals). eSports is going to make this easier as it becomes more accessible and acceptable, especially with college teams and scholarships becoming more available. In the example you mentioned about a mom getting interested when her daughter went to school with the triple major requirement: the same thing could probably happen if you substituted that with eSports. And I do think the enthusiasm coming from most commentators is enough to give anyone with the most remote potential interest a pique. And I don't even think knowing the rules is that important in that 5 second glance you mentioned. I hold the belief that all things worth doing require some work and thinking (such as learning rules of games, fictional or non fiction, that catch my intrigue).

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
It is a joke. From what you said, Lima is seeded/projected to beat the top players there.
I thought at first I thought It had to do with the fact that the top players always win but that is not it is projected that Lima beats Tweek even though Tweek is above lima

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
If you don't mind, could you explain why you think that?

I, for one, love watching good Zeldas play in any Smash game because there's just something really interesting about how her character plays and about her overall moveset design and that one Plup-Armada set. But that same moveset/character attribute design has always seemed inherently dysfunctional. Simply put, not being able to approach + not being able to force approaches = not exactly good for your character, and Zelda fits this to a T. Not-great mobility in a game like Smash doesn't help either. And these flaws, in my opinion, boil straight down to her core moveset and character attributes. Not issues with having a generally solid but undertuned moveset (like Puff) or having the game mechanics hate your guts (like Puff). It's not a surprise, in my opinion, that Zelda has been low-to-bottom tier in literally EVERY Smash game she has appeared in.
I enjoy watching good Zelda gameplay as well, by underrated I meant that she's a really underused character. She has some very skilled and dedicated mains that have devoted their time to improving her metagame which is admirable, I feel the same way about my character.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy watching good Zelda gameplay as well, by underrated I meant that she's a really underused character. She has some very skilled and dedicated mains that have devoted their time to improving her metagame which is admirable, I feel the same way about my character.
I mean, not all of her moves are trash. Her Nair, while it has a small hitbox, does a lot of damage, and has the same drag down effect many multihit moves have.

My buffs for Zelda would be buffs to frame data (At least -2 to -3 frames off of every move), increased air speed, to around Wario level, allowing her to actually combo, and much more generous sweetspots on her fair and bair. I'd also allow her jump cancel Neutral Special at any time. These buffs would definitely make her viable.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I mean, not all of her moves are trash. Her Nair, while it has a small hitbox, does a lot of damage, and has the same drag down effect many multihit moves have.

My buffs for Zelda would be buffs to frame data (At least -2 to -3 frames off of every move), increased air speed, to around Wario level, allowing her to actually combo, and much more generous sweetspots on her fair and bair. I'd also allow her jump cancel Neutral Special at any time. These buffs would definitely make her viable.
I would also like storable Phantoms, and Din's Fire being buffed to Brawl levels, if not, even better.

Three PGR events this weekend. Glitch 4 is a B tier, while Immortal Tech and Arcane Tournaments 2018 are C tiers.

Glitch 4
PGR Players (I would laugh so hard if none of the Bayos won this tournament.)
Tweek:4bayonetta2:
Dabuz:rosalina:
VoiD:4sheik:
WaDi:4mewtwo:
Mistake:4bayonetta2:
Cosmos:4corrinf:
Captain Zack:4bayonetta2:
Lima:4bayonetta2:
Darkshad:4ryu:
Mr. E:4lucina::4marth:
6WX:4sonic:
Vinnie:4sheik::rosalina:

Notable Players
Locus:4ryu:
Ralphie:4cloud2:
JeBB:4bayonetta:
Sinji:4pacman:
Remzi:4zss:
Odyssey:4fox:
Vivid (justy):4bayonetta::substitute:
Seagull Joe:4sonic::4diddy:
Mekos:4lucas:
Black Yoshi:4bayonetta:
Promaelia:4corrin:
Poyo:4kirby:

Bonus
GimR:4gaw:

Immortal Tech
PGR Players
Salem:4bayonetta:
Marss:4zss:
Light:4fox:

Notable Players
Dark Wizzy:4mario:
Glare:4bayonetta:
Pugwest:4marth:
Koolaid:4sheik:
SDX:4mewtwo:

Arcane Tournaments 2018
PGR Players
MKLeo:4marth::4cloud2:
Mr. R:4sheik:

Notable Players
Javi:4sheik::4cloud:
Captain L:4pikachu:
Chag:4bayonetta2:
Hyuga:4tlink:
FuerzaDON:4shulk:

Bonus
Keitaro:4falco::4miibrawl:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I would also like storable Phantoms, and Din's Fire being buffed to Brawl levels, if not, even better.

Three PGR events this weekend. Glitch 4 is a B tier, while Immortal Tech and Arcane Tournaments 2018 are C tiers.

Glitch 4
PGR Players (I would laugh so hard if none of the Bayos won this tournament.)
Tweek:4bayonetta2:
VoiD:4sheik:
WaDi:4mewtwo:
Captain Zack:4bayonetta2:
Darkshad:4ryu:
Mr. E:4lucina::4marth:
6WX:4sonic:
Vinnie:4sheik::rosalina:

Notable Players
Ralphie:4cloud2:
JeBB:4bayonetta:
Sinji:4pacman:
Remzi:4zss:
Odyssey:4fox:
Vivid (justy):4bayonetta::substitute:
Seagull Joe:4sonic::4diddy:
Mekos:4lucas:
Black Yoshi:4bayonetta:
Promaelia:4corrin:
Poyo:4kirby:

Bonus
GimR:4gaw:

Immortal Tech
PGR Players
Salem:4bayonetta:
Marss:4zss:
Light:4fox:

Notable Players
Dark Wizzy:4mario:
Glare:4bayonetta:
Pugwest:4marth:
Koolaid:4sheik:

Arcane Tournaments 2018
PGR Players
MKLeo:4marth::4cloud2:
Mr. R:4sheik:

Notable Players
Javi:4sheik::4cloud:
Chag:4bayonetta2:
Hyuga:4tlink:
FuerzaDON:4shulk:

Bonus
Keitaro:4falco::4miibrawl:
Salem hates the Bayo ditto so much he ditched Glitchfest.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The :4mewtwo: treatment.

:4zelda: belongs in bottom tier where she is. Ven's done an amazing job repping her but his peak is 49th. Mid tiers get occasional top 8s like T's :4link: in civil war placing 3rd. Bad characters can win but the gap between tiers is real.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

:4zelda: belongs in bottom tier where she is. Ven's done an amazing job repping her but his peak is 49th. Mid tiers get occasional top 8s like T's :4link: in civil war placing 3rd. Bad characters can win but the gap between tiers is real.
ven recently placed 25th at Battle for Vegas, but overall yeah.

Iridium

Smash Hero

There is also Onpu getting 49th at Frostbite 2018, but yeah. Zelda has never had a notable run at any large tourney (at EVO/Super Smash Con levels).

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace

^How not to go about buffing a character

First of all,

My buffs for Zelda would be buffs to frame data (At least -2 to -3 frames off of every move),
It's unclear whether you mean startup or endlag here, but either is equally broken. If the latter, Zelda's jab is now +6 on drop, which is, in layman's terms, ****ing stupid. I'm sure it would also enable a bunch of stupid kill confirms, but I'm not willing to spend time figuring out which ones exactly.

If the former, Zelda now has a frame 4 combo breaker that's also a combo starter, a frame 3 dtilt, a frame 3 dsmash, and a frame 6 OoS option that kills at like 70 in Up-B. Additionally, her dash attack is now the fastest dash attack in the game, which makes it a ridiculous burst option. You might say "okay, but only some moves then" but then you've missed the point. Zelda's frame data is not bad, with 2 exceptions. The first is her grab, which is frame 10 with bad FAF. The second is her landing lag and autocancel windows, which are just not good. Fix those, don't **** with her frame data.

increased air speed, to around Wario level, allowing her to actually combo,
"Zelda can't combo" is one of the funnier things I've heard recently. Her airspeed is already fine, buffing it to Wario levels would be unnecessary and not even much of a change. What she does need is better run speed and walk speed. Having bad run and walk speed hurts her grounded spacing game massively, which especially sucks because she has really good grounded spacing tools that she just can't use well because she's too slow on the ground.

and much more generous sweetspots on her fair and bair.
But why tho

It's not that hard to land sweetspot kicks

I'd also allow her jump cancel Neutral Special at any time.
The amount of stupid **** you could do with this is off the charts, once again.

The thing is, these changes don't address Zelda's bad grounded mobility or her terrible disadvantage, which are by far her biggest flaws. She still can't get off ledge or land because her landing lag is still horrible, she still has a bad spacing game, etc. etc. Zelda with an even stupider punish game and advantage might be viable, but she'd be super toxic and unfun to fight because of how you could be winning for 90% of the match but lose because you got hit twice. Sound familiar?

As an aside, please don't take anything I say personally. I'm not trying to insult you or anyone else when I write **** like this (except Jeffrey. **** Jeffrey).

Last edited:

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
We finally got the Attendance list for Get On My Level 2018

https://smash.gg/tournament/get-on-...s/super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-singles/overview

PGR Players
Nairo:4zss:
MKLeo:4marth:
Tweek :4bayonetta:
Larry Lurr:4fox:
Mr.R:4sheik:
Elegant:4luigi:
WaDi:4mewtwo::4rob:
Ally:4mario:
ESAM:4pikachu:
ANTi:4mario::4cloud2::4zss:
Samsora:4peach::rosalina:
MVD:4diddy:
NAKAT:4fox::4ness:
Fatality:4falcon:
Falln:rosalina:
K9sbruce:4sheik::4diddy:

Notable Players
SuperGirlKels:4sonic:
Blacktwins13:4cloud::4mario:
Deathhorse:4mewtwo:
Stroder:4greninja:
Angel Cortes :4diddy:
Hungybox:4jigglypuff:
blanc:4wendy:
pu55yk1ng:4littlemac:
Venom:4ryu:

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

https://smash.gg/tournament/get-on-...s/super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-singles/overview

PGR Players
NAKAT:4fox:

Notable Players
Blacktwins13:4ryu:
FINALLY the attendees appeared in Smash gg.
This event looks stacked. Definitely much more than last year's, although that was accounted for the fact; one: it appeared much later in the year, and two: other events were going on at the same time.

Edit: Also Blacktwins is a Cloud/Mario main, and NAKAT also mains Ness.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

PGR Players

Notable Players
I'm conflicted. I want to see both Ally and Mr. R succeed, but there is a lot of competition to deal with. A grand final between both is far from likely.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
since
I'm conflicted. I want to see both Ally and Mr. R succeed, but there is a lot of competition to deal with. A grand final between both is far from likely.
MKLeo and Nairo are number 1 and 2 right now it seems like they are the most likely to win but we will have to see what happens

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

PGR Players

Notable Players
Happy to see Blanc attending, he's the best Jr rep at the moment.

Top Bottom