• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It was a misunderstanding, it's just one I'm surprised comes up. Mr. R has used Cloud pretty prominently enough for me to consider it his secondary, he's CALLING it his secondary, he would like people to say it effectively how it is, and that's it, really. No need for pitchforks or witch hunts or whatever, I'm just surprised the confusion still exists.

He did this a good while back too so I'm surprised it's even still happening.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I guess istudy's position as the #1 Greninja main isn't undisputed anymore at this point. Fair enough.

:059:
Venia and Some are both valid contenders for the Best Greninja. They're a kinda inconsistent with their play and tourney attendance (Some more so), but when they're at their best they are pretty tough.

Greninja is also a pretty rough match up for Shulk, I'm surprised iStud lost. I didn't watch it though, so I'll see.

:150:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
So in other words, everyone gather around and give Das Koopa Das Koopa the middle finger for being a disrespectful ****. ;)
I incorrectly called his Cloud a pocket. I still put a lot of time into discussing it beyond that, conceding that it was a secondary before he posted again - just emphasizing the mixed results it had, with his primary victory with it being based on his training vs. Kirihara. My last statement in the topic before I went to sleep was even me wanting him to speak on it lol

I'll contest the idea that I was disrespectful about it

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
@KenMeister do you see the paradox in your comment? If so, please, all of us make mistakes, and there is no need to circlejerk someone for them.

Dark Pit is the worst character in the game by results Kappa

At least we don't adhere to results *that* heavily. I'm actually glad that more people are seeing Lucina - for example - as having moved up despite the fact she doesn't actually have many results.
Lucina is mechanically different than Marth, there is obvious evidence she is very good, and she has a fanbase (and contrarians) backing her up. Dark Pit has nothing, he is a carbon copy. I forgot he existed.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Pre-Sheik nerf ZeRo's Diddy functioned more like a pocket. iirc he only used it for 2 matchups while using Sheik for everything else.
Dabuz's Olimar situation before a few months ago seemed like a secondary. Any time Rosa failed he immediately went over to it. Now Rosa seems to be the "pocket," as he specifically said he's only using her for 2-3 matchups.
So if you're only using a character for a handful of matchups in our cast of ~55, they're probably just a pocket. If you can use them in many many more and reliably fall back on them when you're in doubt(MKLeo's Cloud, for example) they're probably a secondary.
But I'm of the opinion that you can only have one main and one secondary by definition. Pockets are everything else.
Now that sounds right. Except I gotta disagree with the last bit. Imo, one can have two or three secondaries (I have two myself), but any more is just piling on pockets. It makes me wonder now why tertiaries exist.....
This is all just my opinion though.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
The worst character going by results is still Mii Swordfighter. Dark Pit has a couple here and there.

Nearly a year of tournament results counted and he's nowhere to be found. Rip.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The worst character going by results is still Mii Swordfighter. Dark Pit has a couple here and there.

Nearly a year of tournament results counted and he's nowhere to be found. Rip.
I checked his page on SSBWorld. It is insane how one of his "notable players" is some unknown local whose usage % is 9.1% out of 100.

BSP

Smash Legend
Let's let players define their own usage level worth their characters, shall we? Most of us have an extremely limited field of vision of what they do in their time with the game.

L9999 L9999 you obviously haven't been hit by Dpit's rage electroshock at the ledge XD

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Let's let players define their own usage level worth their characters, shall we? Most of us have an extremely limited field of vision of what they do in their time with the game.

L9999 L9999 you obviously haven't been hit by Dpit's rage electroshock at the ledge XD
As a matter of fact I have been hit by it with rage. But a sluggish move won't make Dark Pit any better.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I guess it depends on what your definition of pocket is but to me of a pocket character is someone that you don't put much time or effort into and hence pull it out of your pocket, how else am I suppose to interpret this when people call my cloud a "pocket cloud" and dabuz' olimar, komo's sonic or zero's pre patch sheik secondaries and not pockets?

It's frustrating cause I put an insane amount of time into playing this game, constantly train my cloud, get good wins with him ( as stated earlier ) and all of that work can be invalidated by getting 2 stocked in one single game by someone thats godlike at the MU on his CP lylat.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I guess it depends on what your definition of pocket is but to me of a pocket character is someone that you don't put much time or effort into and hence pull it out of your pocket, how else am I suppose to interpret this when people call my cloud a "pocket cloud" and dabuz' olimar, komo's sonic or zero's pre patch sheik secondaries and not pockets?

It's frustrating cause I put an insane amount of time into playing this game, constantly train my cloud, get good wins with him ( as stated earlier ) and all of that work can be invalidated by getting 2 stocked in one single game by someone thats godlike at the MU on his CP lylat.
Is it really invalidated though? Those wins don't go away, nor does your skill with the character, just because some people question your character "devotion."

Internet opinions, man. Keep doing what you're doing. It's obviously working.

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
It's insulting because you put a lot of time in and then people effectively call it a pocket pick. The definition of a pocket character is one you don't put a lot of time into but have in your pocket, lol. It's not a matter of who he's beaten or who he hasn't, it's a matter of having your practice/work marginalized into "oh he's just a pocket pick", really =P. At least, that's how I see it.

I'm upset that Mr. R had to come in here not once but TWICE to say this. Goodness.
Yhaa the same as accusing another player of Tier whoring. Easier to make the excuse that its unfair because the other player has an Over Powered character than own up to your own lack of skill.

Fenny

Smash Ace

I've always defined a pocket as a character whom the player only has relatively basic knowledge on using effectively, while a secondary is a character who the player has put in almost as much time into as their main, or at least put in a significant enough amount of time into them to consider them a solid part of their arsenal. Wins and losses shouldn't be a deciding factor in that because player skill varies, as do the relative skill levels of one character in the hands of one player to another pair. Salem is apparently godlike as Samus but I don't actually think he'd call her a secondary, for example.

The definitions of pockets and secondaries should have no other factor than what the player themselves have intended to treat them as. Anything else is just subjective.

Last edited:

OverTime

Smash Cadet

Does it really matter what people that don't make money think? Especially when you yourself make money.

If it's working it's working, doesn't matter what it's called. If it's not working, make it work.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

This is the definition most people use when they refer to pocket characters in p. much every game, you're not mistaken at all tbh.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Interesting Matchups from Frostbite 2017 pools (Brackets not up yet, just pools, this is my best guess):

A1: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: vs Kirihara :rosalina:
A2: SuperGirlKels :4sonic: :4kirby: vs VoiD :4sheik:
A3: Kameme :4megaman: vs Zinoto :4diddy:
A4: Ranai :4villager: vs WaDi :4mewtwo:
B1: ZeRo :4diddy: vs Some :4greninja: (IcyMist :4samus: is also in this pool, could theoretically upset Some if she's seeded to hit him)
B2: Fatality :4falcon: vs Ned :4cloud2:
B3: Rich Brown :4mewtwo: vs Shuton :4olimar:
B4: KEN :4sonic: vs NAKAT :4fox: :4lucina:
C1: Komorikiri :4cloud2: vs DarkShad :4ryu:
C2: Abadango :4mewtwo: vs Mr. E :4marth:
C3: Ally :4mario: vs T :4link: (This was one of the worst things that could have happened to T. Oh well...) (Seagull Joe :4sonic: is also in this pool.)
C4: Nothing particularly interesting, but if Dabuz is going Solo Olimar, Dabuz :4olimar: vs Myran :4olimar: is a possibility.
D1: MKLeo :4marth: :4cloud2: is in this pool, as are SoVa Unknown :4link:, and Taranito :4ness:, but again, nothing interesting. Leo's probably got an easy ride out of pools.
D2: Tweek :4cloud2: vs Tsu- :4lucario:
D3: Salem :4bayonetta2: probably makes it out easily, but Rayquaza07 :rosalina: might put up a fight.
D4: MVD :4diddy: vs Nairo :4zss: (IceNinja :4palutena: is also in this pool, might upset MVD if they're seeded to fight.)

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
reeeeeeee weekly tourney update

1st:
eLevate | Mr. R :4sheik:, :4cloud2:
2nd:
pM | Cyve :4diddy:, :4bayonetta:
3rd:
M :4shulk:
4th:
iStudying :4greninja:
5th:
BYOC | S1 :4ness:
5th:
DAT | KillerJawz :4mewtwo:
7th:
El_Pitika :4fox:, :4palutena:
7th:
Aperture :4sonic:
9th:
J. Miller :4luigi:
9th:
Glutonny :4wario:
9th:
Robo~Luigi :4rob:
9th:
Meru :4peach:
13th:
Sim-Max :4rob:,:4mario:
13th:
ZartZu :4littlemac:
13th:
LoNg0uw :4rob:
13th:
El_Bardo :4dedede:, :4sonic:

1st: 6WX :4sonic:
2nd: NiTe :rosalina:
3rd: Charliedaking :4fox:
4th: Eon :4fox:
5th: Tweek :4bayonetta:
5th: tyroy :4bayonetta:
7th: Tyrant :4metaknight:
7th: komorikiri :4marth:, :4cloud2:

1st: Dyr :4diddy:,:4sheik:
2nd: RoguePenguin :4mario:
3rd: Saj :4bayonetta:
4th: Ross :4tlink:, :4diddy:
5th: Tachyon :4pikachu:
5th: Sol :4littlemac:
7th: Xmas :4mewtwo:
7th: WonderBread :4littlemac:

1st: Rice :4mario:, :4bowser:
2nd: Shaky :4ness:
3rd: KOSSismoss :4gaw:, :4lucina:
4th: Xzax :4fox:
5th: Trevonte :4sheik:
5th: DSS :4metaknight:
7th: Zex :4sheik:
7th: Oblivion :4pit:, :4metaknight:

1st: Konga :4dk:
2nd: Braixen :4diddy:
3rd: DeliciousDave :4marth:
4th: NikkiNanka :4cloud2:
5th: Ianology :4bayonetta:
5th: G Man, the Cosmic Destroyer :4cloud2:
7th: 9Tales :rosalina:
7th: Tezii :4mewtwo:

1st: WaDi :4mewtwo:
2nd: MVD :4diddy:
3rd: Sinji :4pacman:
4th: Biddy :4tlink:

1st: MD :4sonic:
2nd: Alphicans :4mewtwo:
3rd: Exodia :4zss:
4th: Jams :4rob:

1st: Big D :4mario:
2nd: Locus :4ryu:
3rd: Captain L :4pikachu:
4th: Shogi :4marth:

1st: Blacktwins :4cloud2:, :4mario:
2nd: DatkAura :4greninja:
3rd: Z :4mewtwo:, :4diddy::4cloud2:
4th: Deathorse :4mewtwo:

1st: Nariyasu :4cloud2:, :4fox::4dk: :4diddy:
2nd: Hakadama :4lucas:
3rd: Obarin :4palutena:
4th: Yario :4fox:

1st: Salem :4samus: (Yes, this happened)
2nd: Ryo :4corrinf:, :4myfriends:
3rd: Dyr :4diddy:
4th: Saj :4bayonetta:

1st: Strozai :4greninja:
2nd: Luhtie :4zss:
3rd: Saiki :4sheik:
4th: Skylar :4gaw:

1st: ANTi :4mario:,:4cloud2:
2nd: Dekillsage :4fox:
3rd: Oatmeal :4metaknight:
4th: Riz :4sheik:, :4metaknight:

1st: Samsora :4peach:
2nd: Captain Zack :4bayonetta:, :4wiifit:
3rd: Creatious :rosalina:
4th: Hoodlife :4dk:, :4littlemac:

1st: Marss :4zss:
2nd: Light :4fox:
3rd: Pugwest :4marth:, :4lucina:
4th: Craftis :4sonic:

Fenny

Smash Ace
Interesting Matchups from Frostbite 2017 pools (Brackets not up yet, just pools, this is my best guess):

B1: ZeRo :4diddy: vs Some :4greninja: (IcyMist :4samus: is also in this pool, could theoretically upset Some if she's seeded to hit him)
B2: ESAM :4pikachu: vs Fatality :4falcon: (Ned :4cloud2: is also in this pool and could upset either of them)
C3: Ally :4mario: vs T :4link: (This was one of the worst things that could have happened to T. Oh well...) (Seagull Joe :4sonic: is also in this pool.)
C4: Nothing particularly interesting, but if Dabuz is going Solo Olimar, Dabuz :4olimar: vs Myran :4olimar: is a possibility.
D1: MKLeo :4marth: :4cloud2: is in this pool, as are Manny :4sonic: :4feroy:, SoVa Unknown :4link:, and Taranito :4ness:, but again, nothing interesting. Leo's probably got an easy ride out of pools.
D3: Salem :4bayonetta2: probably makes it out easily, but Rayquaza07 :rosalina: might put up a fight.
D4: MVD :4diddy: vs Nairo :4zss: (IceNinja :4palutena: is also in this pool, might upset MVD if they're seeded to fight.)
These are just pool finals? Jeez, Frostbite is hella stacked

Also, the last time Salem fought Rayquaza he 6-stocked him, whatever resistance he puts up will never be enough kek

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Japan is going to have a really rough time

T probably won't beat Ally. It could maybe happen, but assuming T beats Seagull (which in and of itself is no guarantee - don't sleep on Seagull) we might be looking at Bo5 Pool Finals like at UGC and that sort of environment is probably more advantageous for Ally against a player like T. If it's Bo3 I could see T coasting by on MU inexperience.

Worth noting; SoVa, while not directly MD/VA (just goes there on occasion afaik), has likely played Seagull before. Seagull might be walking in with Link exp and the pool is more likely to be seeded Ally vs. Miloni or Ally vs. Regralht and Seagull vs. T > Pool Finals.

Some could easily lose to IcyMist. Icy has sets on Ned, Dabuz, almost all of Vegas, and nearly took one off Zinoto; She's far and away the best Samus. It's possible Some has Wifi experience against YB, though. Neither beat ZeRo. Probably. Brood kept up with ZeRo but benefited from ZeRo SDing and a lot of Diddy experience.

WaDi vs. Ranai is tough to predict. A plausible explanation for Rich seeming so prepared at G4 against Ranai could just be that he fights Aarvark a lot in SoCal and knows the MU.

Kirihara/Tsu are plausible and realistic upset guesses against Zack and Tweek but the latter two are clearly going in with the advantage.

taranito is also screwed horribly. He'll make it to pool finals but Leo will roll him with Marth lol

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I'm here to point out that T plays quite differently than any other Link, and thus SoVa wouldn't provide much experience for Seagull beyond the very basics. Don't sleep on T. He's probably not beating Ally unless he plays perfectly + MU inexperience on Ally's part but he's got a pretty solid shot vs Seagull. Additionally, it's top 3 advance so he's probably garaunteed to make it out.

EDIT: Worth noting that Seagull's already asked SoVa for Link exp. He seems nervous about fighting T.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
sgk being seeded so high is pretty ridiculous; she doesn't have relevant accomplishments to be seeded so highly, especially not over players like some, mr.e, icymist, jjrockets, t, etc. probably the only serious oversight here.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
TDK TDK Here are some others that can shock some people.

B2: DarkAura:4greninja:could be a problem for ESAM:4pikachu:since he's lost to Greninja before.
B3 Ozone:4duckhunt: is projected to play Rich Brown:4mewtwo:in top 64. Ozone almost beat Ally so anything possible. Thought plays Shuton he's going to get steamrolled. Shuton destroyed You3 the last 2 times they played
C4 Zage:4pacman:Could do some real damage since Dabuz is likely going:4olimar: and Zage has like a 20-1 record (Something like that) vs Logic. Zage is really good vs Olimar.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
esam isn't attending btw he's recovering from illness

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
wqf going by that would be

KEN :4sonic: v :4diddy: ZeRo
Nairo :4zss: v :4mewtwo: Abadango
MKLeo :4marth::4cloud2: v :4sheik: VoiD
Ally :4mario: v :4cloud2: komorikiri

this is potentially easy mode for ZeRo if VoiD beats Leo (2-1 record on him) and if Komo beats Ally (2-0 record on him)

if expectations are correct we'd see either VoiD or komorikiri fight ZeRo in WFs (both of whom have really bad records vs. ZeRo) and Nairo or Aba in Semis (Aba has a better chance of upsetting, but both he and Nairo have really awful records vs. ZeRo too)

Last edited:

freeziebeatz

Smash Apprentice

1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
5th:
7th:
7th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
13th:
13th:
13th:
13th:

Should I count Chubu Round Robin for OrionRank?

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
5th:
7th:
7th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
13th:
13th:
13th:
13th:

Well it looks like :4bayonetta: at least had a much better week compared to last weeks disaster

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699

B2: ESAM :4pikachu: vs Fatality :4falcon: (Ned :4cloud2: is also in this pool and could upset either of them)
D1: MKLeo :4marth: :4cloud2: is in this pool, as are Manny :4sonic: :4feroy:, SoVa Unknown :4link:, and Taranito :4ness:, but again, nothing interesting. Leo's probably got an easy ride out of pools.
Adding on that Esam isn't going to illness from an above comment.....Looks like b2 will be Fatality vs Ned, unless they fight earlier. Interesting. Just off memory and a little looking, as far as the MU goes Fatality should have it down. He beat Javi at G4 and according to youtube has faced both Scatt and Tweek before. He fought komo at genesis saga apparently, but komo went sonic for the whole game.
Ranai I'm betting will take the set from WaDi. I believe he's learned from G4 and Rich brown and has adjusted for m2.
MVD being beaten by Iceninja would be amaaaazing...but I feel that neither one can take the set from nairo....

1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
5th:
7th:
7th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
9th:
13th:
13th:
13th:
13th:

It makes me wonder what's going on when komo gets 7th at MSM 85 when you have charlie and NiTe in 2nd and 3rd, plus....Tweek's Bayo?! Interesting Idk, just seemed a little strange.
Just noticed komo also used marth at msm....must have been a fun day.
Good to see some Lucina results across the board.
Salem winning with Samus...I guess Valentine's Day put people in the mood for mixing things up this past week.

Oh, so I saw there was a large discussion on Ryu a couple days ago. ZeRo put up a Ryu analysis a couple hours ago called "Not The Best Anymore"

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He never was the best.

Not in this universe or any of the other parallel universes within the multiverse.

No.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Thought it'd be notable to mention considering ZeRo and Leo said they think really highly of him, and the inital discussion posts kind of agreed. Thought it was worth noting.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Apparently Static Manny isn't coming to Frostbite. No idea why, just word of mouth.

The biggest wildcards here are going to be Tsu-, Shuton, and T. Tsu-'s my pick for the best Lucario in the world and Lucario in general can take a lot of wins because it's Lucario. Shuton's probably the least wild of these cards, but again, people have probably not dealt an Olimar of Shuton's level or an Olimar at all because he's so rare and the best Olimars in the US don't travel often, with the exception of Dabuz. T is going to be the one to look out for this tournament. Very few people have top-level Link experience and those that do don't have T experience, which is massive because T plays differently from every other Link. If he gets a bracket clear of Sheiks and Sonics (And potentially full of Mewtwos and Bayos) he could potentially make a very deep run.

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Im honestly very curious about Some and how well he might do against zero. i can see him pulling it off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom