• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
There won't be a rise of Wario in the sense that some people are thinking (hoping), he's a mid tier and won't rise past that. He does well against only a few good characters (Rosalina, Megaman, Villager, Lucario, and Olimar being the only relevant ones) and loses to too many good characters (Bayo, Sonic, and Cloud being horrendous MUs alongside chars like Diddy, Fox, Marth, etc still being bad too. Waft is pretty dumb and he has some good tools, but the only top level Sonic Wario has beaten recently is Wrath (Reflex > Wrath at TBH6) which gives me some hope for the MU, Ixis meanwhile 3-0'd Glutonny (or maybe it was a 3-1, but I recall it being 3-0) at Syndicate. Whilst Glutonny whiffed waft a bunch, and made some crucial errors, vs Komo, everyone saw how difficult it was for Wario to deal with a top level Cloud who was committed to that sort of playstyle. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I don't think any other good player is going to pick up Wario.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wario is good enough. Wario seems to be a bit misunderstood where people believe stalling for waft is the only meaningful thing he can do when Gluto demonstrates what he can do in edgeguarding, neutral and kill setups
It's true that Wario is misunderstood but that doesn't necesarily make him a better character than what people think. He's still not very good. His neutral is actually pretty underwhelming, his kill set ups are gimmicky and his poor shield game alone will probably keep him from making it out of low-mid tier ever.

I feel like SmashDown finally put Europe on the map. Wario getting better or not, Gluttony played liked a champion, and both Cyve and especially LoNg0uw gave super-commendable performances that didn't give off the impression that either were just "Free" before Top players. Like I said, you need to take a wait and see attitude on long-term trends, but these guys were playing like they were on the level of high-level U.S. players, like they suddenly made a huge stride forward.
I don't know if I can agree with that.

If the statement that WSD puts Europe on the map is true then it's not because some sudden improvement of our players as your analysis implies. I've always argued that Europe's improvement is directly tied to interaction between the major regions - in smash 4's case that'd be France, UK, Netherlands, Spain and Germany. With an increasing amount of tournaments that all/most of these regions where represented, it's only natural that they'd step it up at some point. *Edit*: Of course, the fact that people from europe started to attend more US majors also helped.

But it's rather a slowish process that probably kicked off when istudy had his breakthrough at beast. I don't think saying that WSD put us on the map is really where it's at.

:059:

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
https://intheloop837.wordpress.com/...ises-europes-breakthrough-at-smashdown-world/

I held off on the low-tier article and decided to publish a Smashdown World retrospective.
"Glutonny, France’s #1 Power Ranked player, managed one of the biggest upsets of the year by defeating the EVO runner-up Japanese star Kameme 2-1."

Did you just forget that the entire summer of smash happened?

But for real though, this article was good. Are the videos from this tourney out yet? I wanna see some of these sets mentioned here.

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
Could you expand on the 'bad shield game' comment Gheb , I'm curious what you mean by that. Half waft OoS is pretty good, DA OoS is phenomenal due to the range it covers and the fact that it's frame 4. Nair is a decent OoS tool, also frame 4, and Fair is frame 5, both setting up for either combos or techchase situations. UpB OoS is his fastest OoS tool as upb comes out frame 6 and he has a kill throw.

Wario is a mid tier character who is lucky enough to have some phenomenal players piloting him, none of his SSS tier players, Reflex and Glutonny as of now, really travel much but they always do well when they do. Reflex's worst placement at a major was 33rd at TBH6 where he still took out Wrath, Dath, and Raziek. He has 17th at CEO 2016 and 5th at MLG 2015. His only top tier traits are his mobility, and survivability+recovery which can let him abuse rage. His neutral is horrid, his range is pitiful, his frame data is mediocre, his setups are mediocre, and his grab game is mediocre.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Zard's u-throw is only great if the opponent doesn't know how to DI. M2 And lucas kill earlier.
Remember when people thought Zard up throw was the best kill throw in the game?

Also, both :4wario: and :4charizard: get some points for this tournament.
It is depending on the situation.

The two big factors are if a platform is there and what stage.

Even with DI, also one of those grabs is a tether grab and the other is on a character that is light as paper. Context is important even more so in this game.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
So going back, I've catalogued who a lot of the top bayos mained before they dropped them for Bayo.

9B - :4ryu:
AeroLink - :4palutena:
Aphro - :rosalina:
Captain Zack - :4peach:
Ikep - :rosalina:
Pink Fresh - :4peach: :4pit: :4lucas:
Saj - :4peach:
Salem - :4sheik: :4zss:
Tyroy - :4metaknight:
Wonf - :4sonic:

I wonder why so many Peach/Rosa players dropped her for Bayo? Coincidence?

I disagree with this notion.
Don't forget Dabuz . He has not dropped :rosalina: but he is starting to use :4bayonetta: more

I know he played Bayo against a :4cloud2: back at Aftershock
Maybe since Rosa and Olimar have a bit of trouble with him in the MU..

verbatim

Smash Ace
If the statement that WSD puts Europe on the map is true then it's not because some sudden improvement of our players as your analysis implies. I've always argued that Europe's improvement is directly tied to interaction between the major regions - in smash 4's case that'd be France, UK, Netherlands, Spain and Germany. With an increasing amount of tournaments that all/most of these regions where represented, it's only natural that they'd step it up at some point. *Edit*: Of course, the fact that people from europe started to attend more US majors also helped.
It's been my general observation that a lot of really good foreign players (not just Europe in general) have gotten hurt pretty very visibly in their international attendance (especially in the US) because of poor seeding. If your region isn't very visible (which usually translates to views more than skill) then your players are probably going to have to fight ZeRo or Dabuz very early in the bracket.

If Gluttony attends a big tourney coming up in America and his WSD performance translates into a high seeding, or at least one where he has to upset a top 10 and not a top 5 player in order to make it into top 32, then it very well could be the start of something.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Could you expand on the 'bad shield game' comment Gheb , I'm curious what you mean by that. Half waft OoS is pretty good, DA OoS is phenomenal due to the range it covers and the fact that it's frame 4. Nair is a decent OoS tool, also frame 4, and Fair is frame 5, both setting up for either combos or techchase situations. UpB OoS is his fastest OoS tool as upb comes out frame 6 and he has a kill throw.
Neither Half Waft nor DA are really OoS options because both moves require you to take the +7 frame penalty for dropping your shield. Half Waft lacks the horizontal range to punish things that aren't close enough and Dash Attack is a really bad move to whiff or hit shields with. That's not a very good thing for a move that doesn't hit before, what? Frame 12? No comparison to high tier OoS options like Mario's nair, let alone something as intimidating as Mewtwo's fair.

Nair and fair are not bad but they're not very rewarding either. They're OK OoS options but in no way good enough to get him out of big-time pressure situations. You can punish individual moves like DK bair with fair but once a character like Marth or ZSS starts to pound your shield with aerials and tilts Wario has nothing that could possibly scare them. For such characters it's just way too easy to take calculated risks when they know that some rather insignificant damage is the worst thing that can happen to them. Some characters can also just jump away OoS or roll OoS as mix-up options against pressure. That's good for characters that generally don't have very good OoS options but good jumpsquat frames or rolls. But Wario has a relatively high jumpsquat of 6 frames, whereas his rolls are short and only have average frame data so he also lacks mixup option in his OoS game. So where a character like Greninja [who is known to lack strong OoS moves] can mix in the odd jump away -> airdodge maneuver to get out of a sticky pressure situatiobn Wario would likely get hit.

Were you in the chat when @Dabuz analyzed Glutonny's matches with us yesterday? One reason Anti ripped Glut apart so badly in the runback set with ZSS is that he played around Wario's shield game [or rather the lack thereof] so much better than in the first set. Wario can NOT challenge her aerials head on -he'll lose every single time- and he can not punish her stuff OoS except with extremely low reward options like fair or the occasional dash attack. And even that's damn risky - do you really want to have your dash attack hit ZSS' shield or whiff altogether? A lot of the time it's just not worth it.

Finally, I'd like to emphasize the fact that I said Wario has a bad shield game - that goes beyond the point of him having an unimpressive out of shield game. Wario has a pretty bad dash -> shield because his dash length is above average while his dash speed is well below it. Dash -> shield is still quite an important approach option, Wario is virtually forced to approach through the air because of how poor his dash -> shield is. So that's pretty bad all in all.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's been my general observation that a lot of really good foreign players (not just Europe in general) have gotten hurt pretty very visibly in their international attendance (especially in the US) because of poor seeding. If your region isn't very visible (which usually translates to views more than skill) then your players are probably going to have to fight ZeRo or Dabuz very early in the bracket.

If Gluttony attends a big tourney coming up in America and his WSD performance translates into a high seeding, or at least one where he has to upset a top 10 and not a top 5 player in order to make it into top 32, then it very well could be the start of something.
Would agree with this. Seeding is a HUGE factor in how regions can and are perceived. If you're not seeded well you're gonna look pretty bad because of who you're likely to play against early.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Why is Diddy's disadvantage still considered terrible?
The top tier spoilage effect. If you don't lol through disadvantage for free on the back of terribly designed tools (:4bayonetta::4sheik::4zss:) well obviously your disadvantage state is bad, isn't it?

This of course ignores the fact that you don't get into top tier without a disadvantage state that is above average by the standards of the rest of the cast. The top tier with perhaps the worst disadvantage state is Fox, and even he gets to lol by with Side-B more often than not.

But spoilage is spoilage.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Why is Diddy's disadvantage still considered terrible?
Poor airspeed and no real combo breakers means if you can't Monkey Flip/B-reverse Banana Toss away you eat a lot of damage; players are getting better at predicting MFs so Diddy's are getting exposed a bit more.

It isn't really bad though castwise, having a third jump in general is sooo good

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Diddy may be easier to combo, have a worse recovery and may be easier to ledge trap than most other top tiers but he's incredibly good at wiggling his way through juggle traps, which is the most common disadvantaged position to find oneself in. This is actually a trait that all top tier characters share - including Fox, whose disadvantaged state is overall the most abusable one of all top tiers. If you add up how well Diddy does in various disadvantaged situations you'll still end up with an over-average disadvantaged game.

And then, of course, there's Diddy's all-overshadowing neutral game that makes it extremely hard to take ever advantage of his disadvantaged state.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Characters below mid tier or so don't really matter so I'm not sure why one would include someone like Ganon or Roy when thinking of bad disadvantage in the context of one of the best characters. Diddy's disadvantage is much closer to someone like Falcon or Fox(except he's a bit better off the ledge and a good deal better at landing) than it is to the people he shares top 5 with. Even Sonic has a better disadvantage, and his isn't that good either.
I certainly wouldn't call it average and definitely not good. Terrible probably wasn't the best word choice but bad would still fit just fine.

verbatim

Smash Ace
You should be looking for the most apt comparison across all of the legal characters, not the most apt comparison within a smaller group of characters.

I would say that Diddy Kong's disadvantage most closely resembles a better version of BJR's.

They have a side b that lets them cover a lot of horizontal distance when recovering, they'll both probably die if they get hit out of their up b, and they don't have good combo breakers. Their size and weight differ but otherwise they look pretty similar in that aspect, w/ Diddy's superior advantage and neutral being the reason he's a top tier and BJR isn't.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Weekend stuff.

1st: Komorikiri :4cloud2:, :4sonic:
2nd: ANTi :4mario:, :4zss::4cloud2::4charizard:
3rd: Glutonny :4wario:
4th: Kameme :4megaman:, :4wario:
5th: Mr. R :4sheik:
5th: Cyve :4bayonetta:
7th: Sodrek :4fox:, :4cloud2:
7th: LoNg0uw :4rob:
9th: Pefo :4sonic:
9th: J. Miller :4luigi:
9th: Greil :4mario:
9th: BluB :4bayonetta:, :4fox:
13th: KayJay :4samus:
13th: Badr :4bayonetta:
13th: iStudying :4greninja:
13th: vyQ :4mario:

1st: El_Pitikla :4fox:, :4palutena:
2nd: Greward :4megaman:, :4olimar::4luigi:
3rd: Marcbri :4diddy:
4th: Pocafeiner :4villager:
5th: MaZzone :4lucas:
5th: Robo~Luigi :4rob:, :4cloud2:
7th: SefiCompacto :rosalina:
7th: Marcpq :4zss:
9th: Darklu :4lucario:
9th: B0kken :4cloud2:
9th: Slay :4sheik:, :4bayonetta:
9th: Narf :4mario:
13th: El Bardo :4dedede:, :4sonic:
13th: Foturan :4bayonetta:, :4link:
13th: FonsoL :4sheik:, :4dk:
13th: Joseluisasdfg :4cloud2:

1st: MKLeo :4marth:, :4cloud2::4lucario:
2nd: 6WX :4sonic:
3rd: John Numbers :4wiifit:, :4corrinf:
4th: Vinnie :4sheik:
5th: Angel Cortes :4diddy:
5th: Mr. E :4marth:
7th: Dekillsage :4fox:
7th: Sinji :4pacman:
9th: Waldo :4myfriends:
9th: Stretch :4marth:
9th: Vivi :4lucario:
9th: Ricky G. :4dk:
13th: Edwin :4megaman:
13th: Raptor :4yoshi:
13th: Gomamugitya :4lucario:
13th: DLT :4sonic:

D

Deleted member

Weekend stuff.

1st: Komorikiri :4cloud2:, :4sonic:
2nd: ANTi :4mario:, :4zss::4cloud2::4charizard:
3rd: Glutonny :4wario:
4th: Kameme :4megaman:, :4wario:
5th: Mr. R :4sheik:
5th: Cyve :4bayonetta:
7th: Sodrek :4fox:, :4cloud2:
7th: LoNg0uw :4rob:
9th: Pefo :4sonic:
9th: J. Miller :4luigi:
9th: Greil :4mario:
9th: BluB :4bayonetta:, :4fox:
13th: KayJay :4samus:
13th: Badr :4bayonetta:
13th: iStudying :4greninja:
13th: vyQ :4mario:

Kameme also used Sheik at SDW.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Weekend stuff.

I'm amazed by MaZzone's lucas placement.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Weekend stuff.

1st: Komorikiri ,
2nd: ANTi ,
3rd: Glutonny
4th: Kameme ,
5th: Mr. R
5th: Cyve
7th: Sodrek ,
7th: LoNg0uw
9th: Pefo
9th: J. Miller
9th: Greil
9th: BluB ,
13th: KayJay
13th: Badr
13th: iStudying
13th: vyQ

1st: El_Pitikla ,
2nd: Greward ,
3rd: Marcbri
4th: Pocafeiner
5th: MaZzone
5th: Robo~Luigi
7th: SefiCompacto
7th: Marcpq
9th: Darklu
9th: B0kken
9th: Slay ,
9th: Narf
13th: El Bardo ,
13th: Foturan ,
13th: FonsoL ,
13th: Joseluisasdfg

1st: MKLeo ,
2nd: 6WX
3rd: John Numbers ,
4th: Vinnie
5th: Angel Cortes
5th: Mr. E
7th: Dekillsage
7th: Sinji
9th: Stretch
9th: Vivi
9th: Ricky G.
13th: Edwin
13th: Gomamugitya
13th: DLT
:4cloud2: 7 in top 16, 5 in top 8
:4sheik: 5 in top 16, 3 in top 8
:4sonic: 5 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4bayonetta2: 5 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4fox: 4 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4mario: 4 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4lucario: 4 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4megaman: 3 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4marth: 3 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4zss: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4wario: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4rob: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4diddy: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4luigi: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4dk: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4charizard: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4palutena: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4olimar: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4villager: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4lucas: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:rosalina: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4wiifit: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4corrinf: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4pacman: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4samus: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4greninja: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4dedede: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4link: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4myfriends: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4yoshi: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8

Winners: :4wario: :4charizard: :4lucario:
Losers: :4dk: :rosalina: :4diddy:
Best character combination: :4cloud2: + Anyone

Diddy is usually top 2/3 in results every week, and this time he's tied with Wario. Additionally, while Cloud continues his trend of high results he mostly gets those in conjunction with another character - Solo cloud is rarely a thing. Similar thing with Zard but not nearly to that magnitude; I doubt he'll get any results not tied to ANTi and his 3 other characters until the next Dominican Republic tournament.

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 6.17.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 6.40.51 PM.png

D

Deleted member

:4cloud2: 7 in top 16, 5 in top 8
:4sheik: 5 in top 16, 3 in top 8
:4sonic: 5 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4bayonetta2: 5 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4fox: 4 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4mario: 4 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4lucario: 4 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4megaman: 3 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4marth: 3 in top 16, 2 in top 8
:4zss: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4wario: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4rob: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4diddy: 2 in top 16, 2 in top 8 (100%)
:4luigi: 2 in top 16, 1 in top 8
:4dk: 2 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4charizard: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4palutena: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4olimar: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4villager: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4lucas: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:rosalina: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4wiifit: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4corrinf: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4pacman: 1 in top 16, 1 in top 8 (100%)
:4samus: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4greninja: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4dedede: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4link: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4myfriends: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8
:4yoshi: 1 in top 16, 0 in top 8

Winners: :4wario: :4charizard: :4lucario:
Losers: :4dk: :rosalina: :4diddy:
Best character combination: :4cloud2: + Anyone

Diddy is usually top 2/3 in results every week, and this time he's tied with Wario. Additionally, while Cloud continues his trend of high results he mostly gets those in conjunction with another character - Solo cloud is rarely a thing. Similar thing with Zard but not nearly to that magnitude; I doubt he'll get any results not tied to ANTi and his 3 other characters until the next Dominican Republic tournament.

Pretty confused why Karisuma 11 wasn't included in this weekend's results. Even if it was 71 entrants there were some notables there.

Megamang

Smash Lord
@HoSmash4

Super late... i dunno about Wario. not much Wario talent around me... Uair is a great answer for aerial approaches, pellets and nair stop horizontal approaches... well handled MB is gonna be annoying for a bigger body like Wario.

But... Mega doesnt like comebackers. If I picture a MM loss here, its winning 90% of the game, eating a bair knockdown which eventually leads to a waft kill from a Wario that just wouldnt die.

Soo... option coverage at the ledge, leading to bair/uair/utilt kills, is key... but I say that about almost every MU :p

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Not a tournament that counts for anything, but Nicko just beat Rich Brown 3-2 at MSM.

D

Deleted member

I just found it interesting because it's Shulk vs Mewtwo. But on that note, Elegant also just reverse 3-0'd Rich.
It's one of Shulk's best high tier MUs if you ask me. Probably slight disadvantage for Shulk at absolute worst. Rich and Nicko tend to go very even in their sets and Aba also thinks M2 only slightly beats Shulk.

freeziebeatz

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know the characters used by Elexiao, Griffith, and Ys in Smashdown World. I need it for data purposes.

Edit: Found these out so far
Tru4 :4shulk: (25th)
Chimera :4corrinf: (17th)

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
3DS became irrelevant as soon as the Wii U version was released so who cares tbh
I rarely boot smash up anymore, but when I do, it's 3DS. I'm just gonna end up fighting Cloud and Bayo in FG hell anyway. 3DS controls well enough for a short jankfest.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Pretty confused why Karisuma 11 wasn't included in this weekend's results. Even if it was 71 entrants there were some notables there.
Fall and the resulting lowered attendence has made this sort of an issue. I will likely start including top 8s of small-off but important tournaments like this and Olympus. The main concern is that, at a certain point, the entrant count is low enough that counting for certain placements doesn't really provide any useful data since there's such a short distance covered.

I want to avoid lowering my cap more and more since it started with 128, went to 100, went to 90, then hit 80. I'll probably include the top 8 for tournaments like this and just use the 1-6 point format I use for Top 8-only and apply it to Top 16 lists. There are going to be a lot of changes on January 1st.

Does anyone know the characters used by Elexiao, Griffith, Chimera, Ys, and Tru4 in Smashdown World. I need it for data purposes.
Tru4 used Shulk

Last edited:

Nintenpro

Smash Apprentice
Das Koopa Das Koopa
For SmashDown World, Greil mostly used Bayonetta during this tournament. And Corrin as secondary (not sure about Mario). EDIT: Greil confirmed me he didn't use Mario
Vyq also used Fox (he beat Neath thanks to him).

freeziebeatz freeziebeatz
Elexiao :4greninja:
Griffith :4mario::4bayonetta2::4zss:
Ys (Yass) :4fox:

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This tournament may actually qualify for Category 2? It had a world top level player and several who are the or among the best in the country with their respective character [Vinnie, Mr. E, Sinji, 6wx, John#s, et cetera].

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Weekend stuff.

That's a whole lot of Marth

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
https://t.co/31aDo2m2CC

Looks like the games at CEO dreamland(smash focused ceo) are smash 4, melee, 64, rivals of aether, and brawlhalla. Every brawl fan got jebaited yesterday with that brawl tweet it seems:smash:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom