• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Hey everyone. Sorry I couldn't keep up with what's being posted here. But I will ask this: have there been any news on recent performances by Toon Link players and Captain Falcon players?
Well Zan got 17th at Aba Saga and MJG got 2nd at MSC like 2 weeks ago but nothing too big as of late that I know of.

For Captain Falcon, I honestly haven't heard a thing about him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I feel like his results have been lackluster as of late.

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
I was looking at Cloud matches recently, and I noticed that, with the possible exception of Mew2King, most top Clouds feel really uncomfortable throwing out kill moves that aren't the absolute safest options (Cross Slash, Up Air). It makes sense why, as Cross Slash is super scary, super reliable, and just holding limit makes the opponent scared. But I wonder if Cross Slash is turning into a kind of crutch? Just seeing players absolutely unwilling to land a kill move unless they have a Cross Slash ready, then running away in the hopes of getting another Cross Slash seems to limit the character in my eyes.

I understand Cross Slash is the best choice, but it's not the only choice, and I think Clouds might need to develop their non-Limit play at high percents.
hyuck hyuck

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
This post made me sad because it made me realize if I had spent half the time and effort I spent on Smash on Chess instead I would be fantastic at it, even though I'm still garbage at smash. Physical limitations are a *****.
I hope you like memorization...

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
[
]
Hm?
Really, what are their justifications for the whole "Lucina is just Marth +1" this time? Fox is a tough, really annoying matchup for both, and Fox's speed helps him a lot, here.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Marth is definitely a more challenging matchup for Fox than Lucina is. And yes, it is the tipper that makes the difference.

:059:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Marth is definitely a more challenging matchup for Fox than Lucina is. And yes, it is the tipper that makes the difference.

Yeah, this.
Fox is a character where the +1 thing actually is meaningful.
Marth's risk reward on Fox offstage is absolutely nuts.

Edit:
as if Diddy needed anything better vs fatties.....
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I wish kame had played more top foxes while he was here. I see lots of people justify fox > megaman with larry beating scatt badly. In these cases, its like pulling teeth to get them to admit larry is a much stronger player. He just suffocated scatt, and kept his aggression going with solid reads that arent as guaranteed as they looked. But everyone looks like that when they lose to fox, you gotta look at their kits.

Leaf shield is quite annoying for fox. The 'struggles with shield' thing is quite simplified, but there is truth in it. Ive found that having an OoS throwable metal blade + leaves to be quite a difficult gamestate for fox. And stage position is everything, as fox offstage is in some trouble. Nair and bair are lingering hitboxes that abuse fox offstage well. If he is ever below the stage, dair should easily dispatch him with no chance of a tech. Mega's giant grab and decent positional (and damaging!) Throws are a godsend here. Fox's lightness and fastfalling is quite annoying for him when projectiles smack him, often he'll land and that isnt great.

Is it all good? Hell no, no fast nair or fast escape special and heavy weight means uair utilt stuff can legitimately do 90 damage before an escape option presents itself. But that isnt so bad; a single well placed bthrow, 2 nairs, or a bair or even uair sets up a similarly deadly situation for fox.

Its a volatile MU, like all of Fox's and very few of MM's.

But scatt... never got off the ledge, really. Kept going low and dying to larrys amazing coverage. Something id like to have seen much more of was a kamemushi style recovery, up B then jump + leafshield. You can airdodge with the leaves, mixing up fastfalling and not... and it works well. If he gets caught up in some leaves following you, a quick throw or ftilt nair string gets you in a not insignificant advantage state.

Look, mega might lose. But if you think so because larry blew up scatt... look more at the tools.

Specifically, look at how many tools fox lacks to get around leaf shield. And remember, if fox illusion hits a leaf you get footstool, then just fall with him and dair when the leaves go.

And metal blade confirms kill fox early, and easily due to the aforementioned lightness and fastfalliness. And unlike Diddy, mega could give a **** if fox gets the blade. Its less scary than his normals by far.

Edit: this was unclear: i meant unlike diddy vs fox, where diddy losing his projectile suuuucks, since fox confirms hard off of banana, and DA is so good for regrabbing it. But this all falls to pellets.

Last edited:

BTVolta

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. Sorry I couldn't keep up with what's being posted here. But I will ask this: have there been any news on recent performances by Toon Link players and Captain Falcon players?
For Falcon
Breakout 5: Sethsational 3rd, Runes 13th
Avalon U-V: Joey 9th
TSC4: Kare~, China 9th
San Japan 2016: NANON 4th, Shade 9th
First Attack 2016: Might Galo 13th
Show Me Your Moves 17: Taka 5th
2GG Breakthrough: Jingen 4th, Flash 9th
MSM 67: Tearbear 5th
Smash Conference LXVII: Fatality 5th, Cashmere 13th
Smash @ York 11: Blush 13th

These are tourneys ranging in skill level and there are some co-mains on there, but this should be all of his results from September(Sans breakthrough) that Das Koopa atleast keeps track of.

Last edited:

Jjab430

Smash Cadet
Well Zan got 17th at Aba Saga and MJG got 2nd at MSC like 2 weeks ago but nothing too big as of late that I know of.

For Captain Falcon, I honestly haven't heard a thing about him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I feel like his results have been lackluster as of late.
Nah, Falcon's results are on par with most of the high tiers. He just doesn't get talked about much in this thread outside of the occasional urge for somebody to call him overrated garbage.

Most notably, Fatality placed top 8 at SSC last month, Pichi won a 224 entrant Umebura a couple weeks before that, and Falcon has consistently stayed within the top 15 of results according to Das Koopa's rankings. Tearbear also placed 17th at Abadango Saga but I don't really know how low the bar for notable is, as that tournament wasn't all that stacked outside of ~top 16. Also worth mentioning that Fatality has only lost to top 10 players at the 3 majors he's been to in 2016.

Falcon having lackluster results or disappearing at the top level just isn't true and it pains me to see so many people lump him alongside DK and Luigi as a character that has "fallen from grace" out of ignorance.

edit: ninja'd

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, Fox only has a slight edge over Mega Man. I actually made a matchup chart for Fox myself a month ago or so and it's actually pretty close to the r/smashboards one. That's not that much of a surprise though, Fox' matchups have always been agreed upon pretty solidly and differences generally tend to be only slight.

The main thing that sticks out is that r/smashboards have Luigi as a winning matchup for Fox which I find hard to believe. Since it's a voted spread there has to be a majority of people that think Fox wins the matchup which is surprising ... and wrong.

D

Deleted member

For Falcon
Breakout 5: Sethsational 3rd, Runes 13th
Avalon U-V: Joey 9th
TSC4: Kare~, China 9th
San Japan 2016: NANON 4th, Shade 9th
First Attack 2016: Might Galo 13th
Show Me Your Moves 17: Taka 5th
Syndicate 2016: Glutonny 5th
2GG Breakthrough: Jingen 4th, Flash 9th
MSM 67: Tearbear 5th
Smash Conference LXVII: Fatality 5th, Cashmere 13th
Smash @ York 11: Blush 13th

These are tourneys ranging in skill level and there are some co-mains on there(Glutonny), but this should be all of his results from September(Sans breakthrough) that Das Koopa atleast keeps track of.
Gluttony's run at Syndicate was solo Wario. Only time he pulled Falcon out was against Ixis and he got rocked.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
[
]
If Marth goes even with Fox "because the tipper" its a load of crap. 1) How does tipper solve Fox forcing Marth to approach and getting his laser chip damage? How does tipper solve Fox juggling Marth all he wants and negating every landing option? Or how does tipper gets Fox out of his face? "Tipper read kills him early" Fox is made out of paper mache, anything decently powerful can kill him of a read. "He gets edgeguarded hard by tipper" Nothing exclusive to tippers, anyone with decent options can edgeguard Fox and kill him at mid %s.

Yeah, this.
Fox is a character where the +1 thing actually is meaningful.
Marth's risk reward on Fox offstage is absolutely nuts.

Edit:
as if Diddy needed anything better vs fatties.....
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Who modded Bowser Jr. into Brawl?

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If Marth goes even with Fox "because the tipper" its a load of crap.
It is, but Marth doesn't actually go even with Fox anyway.

What's true though is that random tippers are factor, and one that makes quite a difference when you play against Marth compared to vs Lucina.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If Marth goes even with Fox "because the tipper" its a load of crap. 1) How does tipper solve Fox forcing Marth to approach and getting his laser chip damage? How does tipper solve Fox juggling Marth all he wants and negating every landing option? Or how does tipper gets Fox out of his face? "Tipper read kills him early" Fox is made out of paper mache, anything decently powerful can kill him of a read. "He gets edgeguarded hard by tipper" Nothing exclusive to tippers, anyone with decent options can edgeguard Fox and kill him at mid %s.
It really is a matchup that is jarring for both to play on. Considering how up close Fox gets to Marth and Lucina, it's hard for you to really get anything going as either of them. It has nothing to do with tipper or no tipper.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It has nothing to do with tipper or no tipper.
Yes, it does. In fact, it has everything to do with tipper or no tipper.

Contrary to what most people seem to think it's not just about getting into their faces and then destroy them with juggles. It's not that easy. Fox still has to work his way in there. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason then Fox risks dying at like 50% to Marth. There is no such threat against Lucina.

Marth is a more challenging matchp for Fox than Lucina is. And tipper is the whole reason for that. Period.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of dumb character interactions, I wanted to share this:

This is surely going to be something Mewtwo shouldn't do in the Shulk MU. :p

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
It really is a matchup that is jarring for both to play on. Considering how up close Fox gets to Marth and Lucina, it's hard for you to really get anything going as either of them. It has nothing to do with tipper or no tipper.
Though it is worth noting that some of Marth's best setups and combos do come off of sourspots... just a thought...

The tipper in general threatens lighter characters a whole lot more than heavier characters; spacing becomes far more rewarding than normal. The sourspot is also quite a bit more threatening on fast fallers; easier combos and setups.

Fox falls into both of these categories.

Regardless, I'm not sure what I would class the Marth:Fox MU as, but I do know Marth's sword becomes pretty useful in the MU in particular.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Yes, it does. In fact, it has everything to do with tipper or no tipper.

Contrary to what most people seem to think it's not just about getting into their faces and then destroy them with juggles. It's not that easy. Fox still has to work his way in there. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason then Fox risks dying at like 50% to Marth. There is no such threat against Lucina.

Marth is a more challenging matchp for Fox than Lucina is. And tipper is the whole reason for that. Period.

If you are playing Fox in a way that allows you to be at midrange so Marth can get tippers/set up for tippers... you're doing something wrong. Kinda goes against what Fox is supposed to be doing. Yes, it really is hard to get anything going as either Marth or Lucina if you're against a Fox that knows his stuff. He just overwhelms you, outspeeds you, doesn't let you land, it's painful.
Also, I have no idea what kind of "lucky stray tipper" is going to kill anybody in this game at 50% or close to it unless your enemy somehow lets you tip him with your Side Smash at neutral out of nowhere. If that's the case, fight better Fox players.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
If you are playing Fox in a way that allows you to be at midrange so Marth can get tippers/set up for tippers... you're doing something wrong. Kinda goes against what Fox is supposed to be doing. Yes, it really is hard to get anything going as either Marth or Lucina if you're against a Fox that knows his stuff. He just overwhelms you, outspeeds you, doesn't let you land, it's painful.
Also, I have no idea what kind of "lucky stray tipper" is going to kill anybody in this game at 50% or close to it unless your enemy somehow lets you tip him with your Side Smash at neutral out of nowhere. If that's the case, fight better Fox players.
Marth doesn't set up his tippers from midrange though. Often times, he has a setup into a tipper from one of his sourspots, such as Dtilt -> Fair, Utilt -> aerial, Jab 1 -> Fair/Utilt, Uair -> aerial etc. Fox being close range is still risky because of the fact a sourspot has the perfect knockback to lead into these moves, made easier by Fox's fast falling speed, and more rewarding due to his light weight.

Lucky stray tippers do happen. No player is like a robot in the neutral. Often times, Marth throwing another hitbox out in the neutral hits an opponent who least expects it works; you'd be suprised how easy it is to pressure somebody into dropping their shield at the ledge by just spamming Ftilt at tipper range - they either shield it, or try and punish, and get hit by the tipper. While it's not a deciding point in who wins a matchup, it's still there.

If anything, what I said in the first paragraph is why Marth may have a strong case for doing slightly better in the Fox MU than Lucina.

Fox does still make landing a pain for both characters, but everything else, both characters can deal with.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Chiming into the Marcina tipper thing ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ was talking about, I consider Marth worse for Link than Lucina, though not by much, because his tippers. Tippers are the area Marcina outspaces Link.
Having a powerful hit based on spacing properly from a spacing character is a strong asset. You don't need to risk getting close like Mega/Luigi/Ryu's shoruken or read and counter or throw out a laggy move to get great power with Marth.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Not saying whether it's +1 or not but most of what I've read so far is pretty much "Because Tipper"

C'mon this isn't reddit, could I get a proper breakdown as to why Marth supposedly does better?

Is it easier for him to space tippers? I don't see it, not with such quick movement and frame data to boot (freaking frame 4 dash attack: Foxes zone breaking move is faster than Marcinas entire moveset).

Do the sourspots help him combo better? If thats the range you are playing in you are probably getting comboed yourself. You want to be playing fox at tipper range and if that is the case Lucinas the one who may find it easier to land combos.

What else is there that distinguishes the two characters enough to warrant a +1?

And Fox is light, Lucinas Fsmash slaughters Fox. Tippers are gonna kill early but nothing bar tipper Fsmash compares to a frame 10 punish option that can kill Fox as early as the mid percent ranges. Heck just throw it out sometimes if you wanna beat out some moves or you find fox weaving too much, the risk reward is often quite skewed towards reward vs Fox.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster

I saw the diddy video posted by FeelMeUp FeelMeUp , apparently JJrockets says this was discovered a year ago and this vid debunks it
Appreciate the resource, man.

If you guys don't mind me still flexing the whole "Sheik nut" thing, I'm going to post about 30-40 kill setups that can be used regularly and are either guaranteed or 50/50s with specific DI.
Really sick of seeing the "Sheik can't kill" meme after its been proven that she kills at the same %s as most characters.
The only issue is that she's the most honest character in the game when it comes to kills with rage.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity

If you guys don't mind me still flexing the whole "Sheik nut" thing, I'm going to post about 30-40 kill setups that can be used regularly and are either guaranteed or 50/50s with specific DI.
Really sick of seeing the "Sheik can't kill" meme after its been proven that she kills at the same %s as most characters.
The only issue is that she's the most honest character in the game when it comes to kills with rage.
That reminds me,
her Down Smash got buffed, didn't it? How much of a difference does it not make?

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Her Dsmash buff actually matters.
Drag down Uair catches people more often than it should and missed tech guarantees a Dsmash.
The next part is more obvious, but she has the best ledge conditioning tools in the game. If you fadeback nair in reaction to their character model moving all ledge options will be covered by the nair and you'll be left directly on the back of their ledge roll. Since ledge roll is the best immediate option to not get hit by nair people choose it often, and it gets Dsmashed on reaction if you do.
Everyone's also abusing her dumb walk speed more and more, so Dsmash has become a consistent punish option to quarter/sixth of the screen whiff punishes. Kills at 120 or so with no rage if they get sent in a favourable direction, which is nice.

verbatim

Smash Ace

It really hasn't. That's why you see the top two Sheik's who are both top 10 players (who made most of those setups) in the world getting kills with fair at 150% if they can't edgeguard someone before then.

Any setup or 50/50 Sheik develops helps with her weakness, but ultimately she kills later than every other top tier, and I'd be willing to argue that the only high tier that comes close to her late kill%'s is Pikachu.

A % specific 50/50 is useful, but not anywhere useful as strong smash attacks, kill throws, kill confirm items, limit, or luma.

Last edited:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
What basis is there for Roy doing well against Mac?

Funnily enough where you'd place Mac's exactly how I feel about Shulk's viability.

Also, :4pacman: kinda has the most anti-LM toolkit in the entire game. It's kinda hilarious.
Roy has a sword, and a very good dtilt for getting rid of Little Mac recoveries. Mac also struggles to get out of Roy's strings, which are mostly horizontal, so he get's pushed off stage for getting hit, bringing that dtilt and drop of counter into play, as well as simply fairing Mac out of the sky for trying to go high.

Disjoint or the ability to force an approach and capitalize of it is very good against Mac.

Pacman has the aforementioned ability to force an approach as well as 2 moves, hydrant and trampoline, that can just instantly destroy Mac's ground game, thus destroying his neutral.

You are ignoring a whole other half of the match up. You are only focusing on Fox and what he can do as if he can simply have his way and do whatever he wants. It's not always as simple as "get in and do damage" when you fight Marth. Fox does not get in for free versus either Marth or Lucina. Fox does not just instantly spawn two inches in front of them, he has to get there. And Marth and Lucina have all the tools necessary to make that difficult.

Fox can force an approach with lasers but after a certain percent frankly I don't care if I'm getting hit by lasers because Fox has to hit me with an actually powerful move in order to kill me, meaning he will have to approach and allowing me to attempt to wall him out.

Not saying whether it's +1 or not but most of what I've read so far is pretty much "Because Tipper"
If that's all you've read then you don't seem to be reading all of the posts completely, which would be a bit problematic when debating.

I also find it interesting how it's the Lucina mains claiming the reason why Marth does better is not because of tipper, even though Fox users and Marth mains are, as in, the people playing the match up.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
It really hasn't. That's why you see the top two Sheik's who are both top 10 players (who made most of those setups) in the world getting kills with fair at 150% if they can't edgeguard someone before then.

Any setup or 50/50 Sheik develops helps with her weakness, but ultimately she kills later than every other top tier, and I'd be willing to argue that the only high tier that comes close to her late kill%'s is Pikachu.

A % specific 50/50 is useful, but not anywhere useful as kill throws, kill confirm items, limit, or luma.
Okay.
Instead of doing what I was before I'll instead do avg %s for each kill VoiD got at Aba saga.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I also find it interesting how it's the Lucina mains claiming the reason why Marth does better is not because of tipper, even though Fox users and Marth mains are, as in, the people playing the match up.
Not at all, you seem to have misread. Not saying Marth does better is not because of tipper at all, rather I'd like to know why is it that the tipper makes such a difference in an MU like fox.

And so far nobody has answered that question properly yet.

-"Lucky stray tippers" arent enough to warrant a +1
-Killing at "50%" is only a thing with fsmash
-Saying Marth has a better combo game is moot as I've explained earlier.

Anything else notable I've missed?

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
ZeRo's really been putting the work in Youtube.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If you are playing Fox in a way that allows you to be at midrange so Marth can get tippers/set up for tippers... you're doing something wrong.
You're being ridiculous.

According to your argument Fox has the ability to just get into Marth's face - a borderline high-tier character who excells at mid-range spacing - for free and do whatever he likes there. That makes virtually no sense. Fox can't just approach and harass Marth for free. No character can. Sure he kinda destroys Marth once he gets there. But there is still the other half of the matchup where Fox has to get there. And that half is a lot scarier against Marth than against Lucina. Enough to make a +1 difference? Yeah, I'd say so.

I also doubt that you are in a position to call out anybody, especially somebody you don't know, for 'doing it wrong'. What are you placings at tournaments? What are your experiences vs high level players? What are the best Foxes you've played? You can't just call out people for doing things "wrong" when you clearly don't understand how it's done right.

C'mon this isn't reddit, could I get a proper breakdown as to why Marth supposedly does better?
If you can't accept that the tipper makes Marth that much a better character than Lucina and that there are specific matchups where it can have a dramatic impact - vs Fox is one of them - then that's your problem. If you want the reason it's right here: Marth has a tipper, Lucina doesn't.

Is it easier for him to space tippers? I don't see it, not with such quick movement and frame data to boot (freaking frame 4 dash attack: Foxes zone breaking move is faster than Marcinas entire moveset).
Not sure what to tell you if you think than Fox can just break Marth's zoning with Dash Attack other than that you probably have no experience in the matchup. Dash Attack gets eaten alive by side B. It's not a good option against either character, especially not in neutral.

It's not easier for Marth to "space tippers" but how is that relevant? Lucina doesn't even have a tipper. A random tipper fair or nair happens in just about every game, even top level play. That stuff just scares the **** out of Fox.

And Fox is light, Lucinas Fsmash slaughters Fox. Tippers are gonna kill early but nothing bar tipper Fsmash compares to a frame 10 punish option that can kill Fox as early as the mid percent ranges. Heck just throw it out sometimes if you wanna beat out some moves or you find fox weaving too much, the risk reward is often quite skewed towards reward vs Fox.
1.) Lucina fsmash can't kill Fox "as early as the mid percent ranges". Marth's can.
2.) If you hit Fox with fsmash as he's weaving too much it's probably at tipper range. Massive point for Marth as he can kill at 70ish percent depending on range. Against Lucina he'll survive that.
3.) Fsmash isn't the most likely move to hit against Fox, with or without tipper. Random ftilts, fairs, nairs and side B are the tools to look out for - all of which have quite powerful tippers that will kill Fox in situations where he'd survive non-tippers.

It's only complicated if you're not willing to accept that Marth is just the plain better character and that the tipper is a huge factor for that. Just because it's simple reasoning doesn't mean it's wrong. Ask any given high- or top level player of a character whether they'd rather face Marth or Lucina. At best they'll say that they don't care because it's not a big difference, most of the time they'll tell that Marth is scarier. They'll tell you that tipper is the main reason for that.

And they are right.

Marth is better than Lucina.

In virtually every matchup.

Because of tipper.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
You're being ridiculous.

According to your argument Fox has the ability to just get into Marth's face - a borderline high-tier character who excells at mid-range spacing - for free and do whatever he likes there. That makes virtually no sense. Fox can't just approach and harass Marth for free. No character can. Sure he kinda destroys Marth once he gets there. But there is still the other half of the matchup where Fox has to get there. And that half is a lot scarier against Marth than against Lucina. Enough to make a +1 difference? Yeah, I'd say so.

I also doubt that you are in a position to call out anybody, especially somebody you don't know, for 'doing it wrong'. What are you placings at tournaments? What are your experiences vs high level players? What are the best Foxes you've played? You can't just call out people for doing things "wrong" when you clearly don't understand how it's done right.

If you can't accept that the tipper makes Marth that much a better character than Lucina and that there are specific matchups where it can have a dramatic impact - vs Fox is one of them - then that's your problem. If you want the reason it's right here: Marth has a tipper, Lucina doesn't.

Not sure what to tell you if you think than Fox can just break Marth's zoning with Dash Attack other than that you probably have no experience in the matchup. Dash Attack gets eaten alive by side B. It's not a good option against either character, especially not in neutral.

It's not easier for Marth to "space tippers" but how is that relevant? Lucina doesn't even have a tipper. A random tipper fair or nair happens in just about every game, even top level play. That stuff just scares the **** out of Fox.

1.) Lucina fsmash can't kill Fox "as early as the mid percent ranges". Marth's can.
2.) If you hit Fox with fsmash as he's weaving too much it's probably at tipper range. Massive point for Marth as he can kill at 70ish percent depending on range. Against Lucina he'll survive that.
3.) Fsmash isn't the most likely move to hit against Fox, with or without tipper. Random ftilts, fairs, nairs and side B are the tools to look out for - all of which have quite powerful tippers that will kill Fox in situations where he'd survive non-tippers.

It's only complicated if you're not willing to accept that Marth is just the plain better character and that the tipper is a huge factor for that. Just because it's simple reasoning doesn't mean it's wrong. Ask any given high- or top level player of a character whether they'd rather face Marth or Lucina. At best they'll say that they don't care because it's not a big difference, most of the time they'll tell that Marth is scarier. They'll tell you that tipper is the main reason for that.

And they are right.

Marth is better than Lucina.

In virtually every matchup.

Because of tipper.

To add onto this....As time goes on fraudulent Fox players are being exposed for their dash attack habits in neutral. It's now an extremely high risk:med-high reward move. The second best Fox in the world(imo), VoiD, practically never dash attacks and abuses the character's busted burst movement speed and ledge trapping/juggling/followup potential.
Fox actually has a little trouble getting in on Marth because of how safely and easily Marth can whiff punish most of Fox's approach kit INCLUDING PP utilt, which half the cast cannot deal with at all. So if Fox is getting in on you for free you're either jumping too much, running too much, or attempting to bumrush him then wonder how he got so close to you.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Why is the argument for why tippers don't matter always "stray tipper" as if that's the only way you can get tippers? Does spacing just suddenly not exist for either character the second Lucina is mentioned? It's not exactly hard to land tippers. If someone is bad at at least somewhat consistently spacing tippers then they either need to get better at it or not play Marth.

Lucina mains, I've heard many of you agree with the idea that there is a gap between Marth and Lucina on a tier list. If the reason is not because of tipper, then what do you think it is?

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Not at all, you seem to have misread. Not saying Marth does better is not because of tipper at all, rather I'd like to know why is it that the tipper makes such a difference in an MU like fox.

And so far nobody has answered that question properly yet.

-"Lucky stray tippers" arent enough to warrant a +1
-Killing at "50%" is only a thing with fsmash
-Saying Marth has a better combo game is moot as I've explained earlier.

Anything else notable I've missed?

Tipper nair, ftilt, and fair (jab -> fair is a combo and if you get cheeky and try and dodge you get fsmashed. The only proper escape is jumping away to avoid ground game stuff, but also DIing in to not die to fair. It isnt easy). Compared to getting jabbed by Lucina, its much scarier v marth.

Sourspot dtilt follows up longer afaik. Tipper bair and uair are also significantly better kill options.

Getting launched slightly further is a big deal when you are fox.

DB 4 up is also a decent kill option vs fox due to his physics, again iirc. Uair stuff is scarier with sour and sweet hits.

But really... ftilt is so important. That move is absolute horse**** tbh. Pivot ftilt kinda just works vs most stuff, you have to call it out hard to get him for doing it, yet it kills you at 'wtf really?' Percents, considering its frame data.

Also, whoever said mega has to risk it to hit a shoryu... pfft, any downwards b thrown metal blade, z drops, footstool combos, all safe leads into the move. Its ok to just wakeup shoryu or some **** if you feel it, but it does have good confirms.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
So people think that Fox beats Guest 1111 Brawler that badly? Mmm...

I do believe that Brawler is poor man's Fox. The game play is very similar (in a same way as Gunner's gameplay is similiar to that of a DH's) etc. The main difference is that Brawler lives by the grab.
Anyways back to Fox vs Brawler. Fox does have a slight edge in pretty much every area over 1111 Brawler. This can also be seen from the MU. Main thing which makes the MU bad for 1111 Brawler is that he cannot kill. But does it turn the MU worse than 30:70 for Brawler? Naah... I think it is just that majority of the people who voted think that Brawler has NOTHING when he is limited to 1111 set. He still has his excellent grab and combo game. Oh well...

Yeah not that great at explaining hehe...

I might share the Guest 1111 Gunner MU spread, which majority of the Gunners agree with, later once the whole Marth vs Lucina thing has been handled if people are interested and want to talk about something different.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
So people think that Fox beats Guest 1111 Brawler that badly? Mmm...

I do believe that Brawler is poor man's Fox. The game play is very similar (in a same way as Gunner's gameplay is similiar to that of a DH's) etc. The main difference is that Brawler lives by the grab.
Anyways back to Fox vs Brawler. Fox does have a slight edge in pretty much every area over 1111 Brawler. This can also be seen from the MU. Main thing which makes the MU bad for 1111 Brawler is that he cannot kill. But does it turn the MU worse than 30:70 for Brawler? Naah... I think it is just that majority of the people who voted think that Brawler has NOTHING when he is limited to 1111 set. He still has his excellent grab and combo game. Oh well...

Yeah not that great at explaining hehe...

I might share the Guest 1111 Gunner MU spread, which majority of the Gunners agree with, later once the whole Marth vs Lucina thing has been handled if people are interested and want to talk about something different.
No, please, do it now. We would love to see it over discussing Marth vs Lucina for the 8th time.

D

Deleted member

No, please, do it now. We would love to see it over discussing Marth vs Lucina for the 8th time.
I'd take anything over Marthcina discussion for the eighth time, or more moaning about how Bayonetta or some other top tier is soooo oppressive and needs nerfs. This thread goes in goddamn circles, no wonder people outside the boards view it as a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom