• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
The characters with legitimate arguments for going even with Sheik in a 2 stock 1 ban environment are :4bayonetta::4bowser::4diddy::4mewtwo::4mario::4peach::4pikachu::rosalina::4sonic::4zss:. Some of these, like ZSS Peach and Bowser, require you to reach a bit.
Lucario doesn't really fit. He certainly loses.
I can see why :4bowser: could be even but how is :4peach: even? I've never heard an argument or how peach or sheik mains think about the mu, would you care to explain it from sheik's perspective?

Illuminose

Smash Ace
About half of the really good characters in this game don't really have matchups that they can't win. It's close enough to even that you'll see upsets often enough.

The exceptions are :4cloud: :4zss: :rosalina: :4fox: who all struggle in at least one MU: Cloud's Sheik matchup, ZSS' Diddy matchup (in which you'll still see some upsets occasionally), and Rosalina's MK matchup are really atrocious, and Fox gets rocked in multiple matchups (Bayonetta/Sheik/Luigi, maybe Ryu).
Cloud's Sheik matchup is not a barrier at all. Not only is their empirical proof of the matchup being done at top level (as evidenced by Komorikiri's clean 2-0 record against VoiD), but the matchup itself logically is not that bad. Cloud can compete very effectively in neutral with disjointed and utilize his high damage output to rack up damage on Sheik, then set up situations to KO Sheik before she KOs him. The reason it is considered in Sheik's favor is primarily due to two things, which are capacity to play a long-distance game (needles) and edgeguarding, but I think Cloud definitely has enough in this matchup (range/kill power/punishes/neutral) to make it very slightly in Sheik's favor or possibly even.

D

Deleted member

Mew2King also lost to Trevonte 3-1 at Clutch City Clash. It's not a top level tournament, but still.

Sheik more or less wins the MU for the same reasons she beats every swordfighter. FeelMeUp FeelMeUp can provide more info.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
The characters with legitimate arguments for going even with Sheik in a 2 stock 1 ban environment are :4bayonetta::4bowser::4diddy::4mewtwo::4mario::4peach::4pikachu::rosalina::4sonic::4zss:. Some of these, like ZSS Peach and Bowser, require you to reach a bit.
Lucario doesn't really fit. He certainly loses.
We already had a discussion about this a while back and I think we all agree that we need more data but I'm still gonna throw this out there, I think Marth is in that list of characters as well.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Bayo along with Sheik is also considered one Cloud's Worst MU's isn't it? It hard to pinpoint which one is worse for Cloud. But I think it has been shown that they are not TOO bad and that Cloud can win them with some effort

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
We already had a discussion about this a while back and I think we all agree that we need more data but I'm still gonna throw this out there, I think Marth is in that list of characters as well.

Well if we judge the MU soley by looking at the sets between Leo and Mr.R lately..talmost looks like it would be 6-4 Marth...But its still likely slightly in Sheik's favor. Leo is the type of player that just amazing enough to even make bad MU's look good.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Perfect Sheik play dominates all but a select few characters. Only 5 or 6 members of the cast can claim to go even with her in the neutral, maybe 4 or so can get out of disadvantage without platforms, maybe 2 can keep her in disadvantage for longer than a single combo (I'm almost 100% sure that Pikachu is the only character other than another Sheik that can gimp her), and if you can't deal with needles than you've already lost. Honestly I pray that she gets nerfed in the NX version because the more that I look at it the more that I feel like Sheik is +1 or better against almost every character in the game

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Sheik is a top tier, it is natural that her MU spread is full of +1s and +2s. The other top tiers also have a lot of +2s, like Cloud, Rosa and ZSS.
Except they have actual counters
Cloud loses to both Sheik and Bayonetta rather hard
Rosa obviously loses to MK
Diddy ****s on ZSS
No matter who rises to and falls from glory, Sheik is always going to be godlike. That isn't the case with Cloud, Rosa, and ZSS, their viability changes depending on who's in their bracket and can be cut short by things other than player skill.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
What's with all the doom and gloom surrounding Sheik? The fact that ZeRo rarely plays her in bracket since the nerfs, the guy that was undisputedly the best Sheik in the world, shouldn't that alone suggest that Sheik cannot dominate the cast like she originally could? I mean yeah, it was bad pre-nerf where we'd constantly be subjected to Sheik dittos in Grand Finals with ZeRo predictably taking 1st every time, but that completely vanished after the nerfs. Moreover, recent tournaments suggest the exact opposite, with a wide variety of characters eliminating Sheik mains in top 8 or even outside of it.

blackghost

Smash Champion
What's with all the doom and gloom surrounding Sheik? The fact that ZeRo rarely plays her in bracket since the nerfs, the guy that was undisputedly the best Sheik in the world, shouldn't that alone suggest that Sheik cannot dominate the cast like she originally could? I mean yeah, it was bad pre-nerf where we'd constantly be subjected to Sheik dittos in Grand Finals with ZeRo predictably taking 1st every time, but that completely vanished after the nerfs. Moreover, recent tournaments suggest the exact opposite, with a wide variety of characters eliminating Sheik mains in top 8 or even outside of it.
the best shiek mains continue to be consistently in top 8. we all know the meme of "void didnt win again" but he has never had a trela moment. mr. r issue in the last tournament is a player v player issue not a shiek issue. shiek has tools for every situation and everything about her as a character is elite except her weight. shieks placements are centered in a few players tho. prenerf you could play shiek with a basic formula needles> when shielded grab> when at kill percent do 50-50 setups. that doesnt work now you have to work A LOT harder to have everything go right, but its purely on the player. there isnt a situation shiek cant handle if her user is skilled enough.
shiek still dominates this cast and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sheik might have the best overall matchup spread, but her volatility is a huge roadblock in an environment where consistency over several sets is a critical factor to success.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Diddy ****s on ZSS
It's no worse than -1. Marss took two sets off Zinoto last weekend and Nairo has only lost to ZeRo this year and one time to Zinoto in the MU (winning his sets vs the other Diddy players). It'd be extremely difficult for any character to ever be more than +1 on a character like ZSS when (without going into great detail) she has such an easy time killing, she's crazy fast, the stage picking system favors her, and she's loaded with stupid buttons that confirm into more stupid buttons or just kill early.

This MU has a tendency to get exaggerated, maybe because it's her only clear -1.The Sheik MU sort of leans the direction of -1, but it's a very volatile MU, and the Pikachu MU is sort of up in the air as well.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't think anyone here read Mr. R's post, which is a shame because the points he made hold up truer than ever regarding "pocket Cloud".
Except I've never used the term "pocket Cloud" to begin with. I've talked about using Cloud as a tertiary character, which in case of Mr r would be 100% accurate. Sheik being his main makes her his primary choice, Bayonetta being his second most used character in tournament would be his secondary. That leaves Cloud as his next most frequent pick, making him his tertiary choice - just as I called it.

Fox gets rocked in multiple matchups (Bayonetta/Sheik/Luigi, maybe Ryu).

[...]

Then you have :4mario: :4sheik: :4sonic: :4bayonetta: :4diddy: :4mewtwo: who can win any matchup in the game. You only need to be a little better than your opponent to ensure a win, or just make a sharp read or two.
Fox does not get "rocked" in any matchup. Mario's matchups vs Sonic is just about as bad as any of Fox' losing matchups, for instance.

:059:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Sheik could well be the best character in the game when you consider her MU's, bonkers neutral and recovery, and plethora of options she has at her disposal.

But do I see Sheik getting nerfed in the potential Switch version? Actually, no.

Yeah, at the highest of top level play, Sheik is absolutely amazing, but she does require so much precision and tech skill that at overall lower level, Sheik's don't prevail as much as overall easier to use characters like Mario, Sonic, Cloud and even Captain Falcon. Sheik requires a whole lot more consistency than the other characters (especially important with her being so light now).

As a disclaimer, this is in no way indicative to other areas as a whole, but based on my own experience, my local Smash 4 weekly has multiple players using top tiers. There are Diddy's, Mario's, Cloud's (by the f***ing shovel full), Sonic's, Fox's, Mewtwo's etc, and there is one guy who uses Sheik... he doesn't place as highly as the other players using the other top tiers. Interestingly enough, the other characters are a lot easier to use overall...

But yeah, I still think Sheik is potentially the best character in the game, even if it is just from personal experience. I'm no top player, so this is just my experiences, but I've been backed into a wall on far more occasions by legitimately good Sheik players than I have legitimately good Diddy's, Bayonetta's and Mario's for example. A truly optimised Sheik is just a lot more troublesome to challenge than literally any other character (you could argue Diddy holding a banana is worse I suppose).

|RK|

Smash Marketer
This past couple of pages show how much players affect theory in a bad way, IMO.

- Should ZeRo dropping Sheik mean she isn't dominant?
- Which player shows whether an MU is good or bad? Should it just be ZeRo's results for Diddy, or Zinoto's?
- Looking at the last questions - where's Bowser vs Diddy?

...Actually, maybe it's just ZeRo skewing results :/

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
I wonder when people will start realizing ZeRo should always be considered an outlier for results.

Edit: Also, yeah. When I talk about Sheik it's about top or very high level play. The character is ass at low and mid level play. She loses to a quarter of the cast on both levels.
This is probably where the thoughts of her losing to :4dk::4diddy::4mario::4bowser::4sonic::4pikachu::4ryu::4lucario::4kirby:come from

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
My mockery of Florida has come back to haunt me in the form of many hours of obtaining tournament results from the region

D

Deleted member

My mockery of Florida has come back to haunt me in the form of many hours of obtaining tournament results from the region
Florida is really ****ing good. Don't sleep on us. :eyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Except I've never used the term "pocket Cloud" to begin with. I've talked about using Cloud as a tertiary character, which in case of Mr r would be 100% accurate. Sheik being his main makes her his primary choice, Bayonetta being his second most used character in tournament would be his secondary. That leaves Cloud as his next most frequent pick, making him his tertiary choice - just as I called it.

Fox does not get "rocked" in any matchup. Mario's matchups vs Sonic is just about as bad as any of Fox' losing matchups, for instance.

:059:

I dont know. The Fox vs Bayo MU does look pretty bad for Fox. Due to his extreme fall speed it is very hard if not impossible to SDI out of her combos. I think ESAM also mentioned Fox was the one character he could not use SDI consistently against her, and I think its now been proven he knows his stuff on SDI

Bayo possibly has certain combos and setups that are exclusive to Fox. Lets not forget what happened at the first Salem vs Larry Lurr Set at Olympus

Man..that last match is still painful to watch.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
https://youtu.be/ACHGNmbdKbQ?t=493
That's a good reminder of how Bayo's chains aren't restricted to ladder kills. With her crazy recovery and edge guarding she can outright kill or gimp characters at any % off the side. Not guaranteed but being offstage vs Bayo is the 6th level of hell.
Friendly reminder that the setup isn't really guaranteed ((S)DI down, mash airdodge). It still leads you to a bad/awkward position, but it's not like that stuff will always work.
:196:

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
SDI down and mash airdodge so Bayonetta gets a free Dair spike and still gets back herself because Fair 1 continuously props her up so she doesn't have to expend a jump.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
SDI down and mash airdodge so Bayonetta gets a free Dair spike and still gets back herself because Fair 1 continuously props her up so she doesn't have to expend a jump.
It's not "free", it's a 50/50, she has to stop if she expects the airdodge, leaving time for the opponent to jump.
ALSO, a Dair at ledge level or lower means an SD (on most stages at least), only worth it if she has a stock lead.
ALSO, this Fair chain only works at really low % and rage breaks it.

This is what we mean when we say that Bayo counterplay is underdeveloped. People just don't fully understand the character.
:196:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
so the florida region just added salem.... Florida definitely strongest region now?
uhhhh
doesn't tristate still have 3 of the top 5 players in the world lol
Are we talking about strongest region as it pertains to the tip top players? Or strength of the lower-ranked players as well?

If the latter, tristate players like Nick C and Frozen have made waves at big events.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
The clip of M2 dying dumb early to Luma has me wondering...Why is Luma so strong? Where can I get one? Will it go to work for me? And...

How much do we know about counter hit properties in this game. There's no clear indicator of a counter hit in this game like there are in traditional fighters (counter hit launchers in Tekken, crush counters in SFV). In smash all I have noticed a counter hit usually results in more knockback. Other than that I haven't noticed anything else.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I dont know. The Fox vs Bayo MU does look pretty bad for Fox. Due to his extreme fall speed it is very hard if not impossible to SDI out of her combos. I think ESAM also mentioned Fox was the one character he could not use SDI consistently against her, and I think its now been proven he knows his stuff on SDI

Bayo possibly has certain combos and setups that are exclusive to Fox. Lets not forget what happened at the first Salem vs Larry Lurr Set at Olympus

Man..that last match is still painful to watch.
And then you see stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2znNev1jKc#t=6m

Those fair strings against fastfallers are pretty evil... but it doesn't seem like it would destroy the MU for Fox since it's not that easy to get them started, he can still hold his own most of the time and destroy her back if you get some reads.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
The clip of M2 dying dumb early to Luma has me wondering...Why is Luma so strong? Where can I get one? Will it go to work for me? And...

How much do we know about counter hit properties in this game. There's no clear indicator of a counter hit in this game like there are in traditional fighters (counter hit launchers in Tekken, crush counters in SFV). In smash all I have noticed a counter hit usually results in more knockback. Other than that I haven't noticed anything else.
Smash doesn't really have counter hits, at least in the traditional sense. The only time it comes into play is if you hit someone who's currently charging a smash attack, in which case they'll take 20% more knockback than usual.

It'd be extremely difficult for any character to ever be more than +1 on a character like ZSS when (without going into great detail) she has such an easy time killing, she's crazy fast, the stage picking system favors her, and she's loaded with stupid buttons that confirm into more stupid buttons or just kill early.
As awesome as all of those strengths are, I still believe the primary reason ZSS is so good is her disadvantage state and how easily she can escape potentially hazardous situations.

While not as relevant to tournament-level play, it is also worth noting that ZSS seems to have more ultra-advantageous MUs against mid and low tier characters than practically anyone else (e.g. every single super heavyweight)

D

Deleted member

NAKAT said in his video he's looking to play either :4mario::4lucas::4pikachu::4lucina::4sheik: as a co-main and bring it to the level of his :4fox:. I actually feel like Sheik would be a really good pick for him. Lucas could possibly help with the Bayonetta matchup, but I don't know.

Fenny

Smash Ace
NAKAT said in his video he's looking to play either :4mario::4lucas::4pikachu::4lucina::4sheik: as a co-main and bring it to the level of his :4fox:. I actually feel like Sheik would be a really good pick for him. Lucas could possibly help with the Bayonetta matchup, but I don't know.
I think all of these characters do fairly well against Bayo tbh

-Mario for his reward on grabs against her
-Shiek for her reward on her, superior mobility and her superior neutral
-Lucina for her disjoints and actually being capable of challenging Bayo's recovery offstage
-Lucas for his ability to space her out and kill her pretty early
-Pikachu for its superior neutral and mobility + small stature making SDI more consistently doable

Helps that none of them get gimped easily. The worst out of them is Lucas, and even then resorting to PK Thunder should only be occasionally necessary. Otherwise he has a great double jump coupled with a good airdodge and a tether recovery.5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom