• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I can't believe there are people who complain about Mii Brawler "Jank" while something like this exists. (And this is just one of many examples)
People would just say "we just want to avoid having MORE of it" and call it a day.
:196:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
If a Samus with lots of rage hits you with dash attack, the up b can kill you at any percent. Or if you happen to be above Samus at the exact height of the apex of her up b and she up b's. Dash attack puts you at that height. It's still not super common though.

Last edited:

PoptartLord

Smash Cadet
Consisdering Icy did it against Rosa too IIRC I don't think she did it accidentally.
Really? Let's hope that's just some stars-aligned accident of actually seeing Samus on stream and this rare thing actually occurring. Otherwise that's suuuuuper scary. There's a Samus main at my locals and he uses the Screw Attack often and to good effect (u-air -> u-air -> up-b, up-b OOS) and I've only seen it kill at 0% once.

-PoptartLord

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Because I don't htink this has been posted here:

Battle on the Strip (264 entrants)
1st: Dabuz :rosalina:
2nd: IcyMist :4samus:
3rd: JK :4bayonetta2:
4th: Vash :4littlemac:
5th: Z :4pikachu:
5th: Xero :rosalina:
7th: Snoop :4yoshi:
7th: Remzi :4zss:

Considering other than that it relied on qualifiers, I don't think we can get a complete top 16, but the top 8 has a lot of interesting characters.

- SAMUS!!
- Non-ESAM Pika doing well
- Little Mac
- Non-Dabuz Rosa doing well
- Yoshi

Yikarur

Smash Master
If this was able to be pulled off with any level of consistency there would be a lot more complaining. As of now it's 100% accidental. But yeah, nobody ever mentions how Brawler "Jank" leaves a non-heavy character with a much shorter recovery move....

-PoptartLord
It is pretty consistent though but it's only that deadly against slow fallers.
A way to make this work is to trade with a lingering hitbox; if Yoshi uses dair for example Samus can upB into it, trade with dair, upB is cancelled and thus Yoshi is only hit by the initial hit resulting in very early kills.
There are other ways to set it up and I'm convinced that it's not 100% accidental.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
> Rosalina wins a 264 tournament solo via dabuz
> Rosalina gets 2nd at the most stacked round robins feasible solo via Kirihara
> "Rosalina is falling off!!!!11one"
> "Why do people think she's top 10?!?!?!?"
> herp derp

:059:

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
> Rosalina wins a 264 tournament solo via dabuz
> Rosalina gets 2nd at the most stacked round robins feasible solo via Kirihara
> "Rosalina is falling off!!!!11one"
> "Why do people think she's top 10?!?!?!?"
> herp derp

:059:
Dabuz used Olimar in the first game of two games of Grand Finals lol.

NNID
User7a1
Considering other than that it relied on qualifiers, I don't think we can get a complete top 16, but the top 8 has a lot of interesting characters.
Another problem is that a couple entrants (Vash & Xero) in the top 8 weren't in the top 4 (Online) or top 2 (Offline) qualifiers but replaced those that couldn't make it (Cosmos :4corrinf: and Gabe :4sonic:).
But the rest of top 16 looks okay (Vash participated twice, so that muddies up the top 16). Either way, it's not something that Das Koopa can put in for his data due to its weird structure.
9. MASTER PUFFY :4jigglypuff: (Online)
9. Mechs :4megaman: (Online)
9. Xanntha :rosalina:(Offline 2)
13. Aphro :4bayonetta::4darkpit::4pit: (Online)
13. Mav :4cloud:(Online)
Dabuz used Olimar in the first game of two games of Grand Finals lol.
Adding onto this, he mostly used Bayonetta and some Olimar throughout the online qualifier. He only used Rosa (and Olimar again) in the top 8.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Rosalina is still ****ing absurd, people.

Top 5 is still possible if not exactly "likely".

https://clips.twitch.tv/battlevegas/MagnificentGrouseDAESuppy

>Dabuz uses Olimar two games of the entire tournament and loses both of them

"Oh dabuz is being carried by Olimar lol"

And please don't count the qualifier considering Dabuz won the online qualifier.
No, the point is that he didn't go solo Rosalina.

Unless he didn't win any games with Olimar in which case it doesn't matter if he used him.

Which is what happened.

So yeah lol.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
No, the point is that he didn't go solo Rosalina.

Unless he didn't win any games with Olimar in which case it doesn't matter if he used him.
Reiterating that in the top 8 (Dabuz won the online qualifier, so we're going to discount that) Dabuz used Olimar in two games and lost to IcyMist in both of them. Every offline game he won was with Rosa.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Reiterating that in the top 8 (Dabuz won the online qualifier, so we're going to discount that) Dabuz used Olimar in two games and lost to IcyMist in both of them. Every offline game he won was with Rosa.
This is correct. I slightly misread your post (just wasn't sure if Dabuz lost 1 or both games). Check my edit.

Last edited:

Fenny

Smash Ace

at this point I'm virtually positive that VoiD has some kind of secret tech that lets him materialise the SV platform at the start of his combos.

PoptartLord

Smash Cadet
It is pretty consistent though but it's only that deadly against slow fallers.
A way to make this work is to trade with a lingering hitbox; if Yoshi uses dair for example Samus can upB into it, trade with dair, upB is cancelled and thus Yoshi is only hit by the initial hit resulting in very early kills.
There are other ways to set it up and I'm convinced that it's not 100% accidental.
Fair point. I was too focused on trying to explain an edge case when I said that. And I've learned the hard way to never be directly above a Samus so I didn't even think about trading interactions. I've gone and edited out the 100% bit of my previous post.

-PoptartLord

Rizen

Smash Legend
But yeah, nobody ever mentions how Brawler "Jank" leaves a non-heavy character with a much shorter recovery move....
Brawler's overall recovery is better even with the tornado kick thing because his flip kick downB. Brawl's vanilla upB was kind of garbage. Just saying.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Kameme losing to Nietono and Rain in the Japanese invitational is actually quite surprising given he has wins on ZeRo, Mr. R, and Void. Losing to Abadango and KEN could be expected but the fact that he also lost to Kirihara and T are also interesting considering the caliber of his play compared to the two.

He may have been having an off day because he didn't do well at all.
He's been fine-tuning secondaries as of late so I'm going to assume he was using Sheik. Not totally sure, though.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Of note, AfroSmash is attending one of the East Midlands biggest Smash 4 tournaments this Saturday, Smashzilla 5. I'm also attending, so I can't wait to see some of the stuff he can pull. If I'm honest, I want to see him win it. There are a lot of strong players attending, but I think he's more than capable of doing it.

Maybe I will get to play him!

and lose, especially since the training subject he used in that video was Marth...

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Rage screw attack is stupid as hell, but it doesnt do that all the time. And note it was done on Olimar and Rosa, both light floaties.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Rage screw attack is stupid as hell, but it doesnt do that all the time. And note it was done on Olimar and Rosa, both light floaties.
I had a Samus main show me the mechanics of it a while back. It's actually relatively consistent. Plus it can even kill heavier characters - just a bit later than 0. Lucario dies at 30%-ish from the confirm.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

at this point I'm virtually positive that VoiD has some kind of secret tech that lets him materialise the SV platform at the start of his combos.
He surely practices in Trashville enough to know when the platform moves during his combos. Knowing the stage that well to do whatever he wants when he wants is impressive.

Edit: I read the responses and apparently he doesn't practice the stage much. Even more impressive.

Obligatory "I HAD TO THE THE FIRST TO POST THIS" post.

https://twitter.com/2GGaming/status/800779947182723073

He's back ayyyyy.
About damn time. Hopefully he will have a good performance.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Kirihara getting 2nd at a roundrobin is a lot more notable than Dabuz winning against the Vegas PR and a Pittsburgh Samus >_>

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Rage up b jank kills don't have anything to do with the opponent's floatiness or weight

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Best tilt in the game: fox utilit, diddy dtilt, marth ftilt, mewtwo dtilt, sheik ftilt, bayo dtilt, or whichever one of ryu's tilts does the crazy conversions?

D

Deleted member

Best tilt in the game: fox utilit, diddy dtilt, marth ftilt, mewtwo dtilt, sheik ftilt, bayo dtilt, or whichever one of ryu's tilts does the crazy conversions?
Yellow Topics
"Vacuum" Comparisons
  • Direct comparison of individual moves or properties in isolation
  • "Which is better, Mario bair or Luigi bair?"
Juuuuuuust saying.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Baaack on topic

I think the biggest takaway from these past few tournaments is a solidification of Rosa as a tourney threat. Dabuz effectively used Olimar to download Icymist in Grand Finals so he could pull out the Rosalina and easily dominate the matchup, and as mentioned before, Kirihara's second place is quite the impressive feat. She might not be top 3 anymore, but Rosalina is still a strong top tier threat that you have to be prepared for.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Despite Kirihara's awesome placement (and Dabuz' impressive, yet expected, essentially solo-Rosa result), solo-Rosa has recently been trending downward. Whether that's due to player inactivity or some combination of other factors is uncertain, but the trend is still there. I'm not going to go through and graph every top Rosa player's placements over time, but if you keep up with her meta you just kinda feel it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'll try to elaborate a bit.

Dabuz uses an alarmingly (alarming for me as a dedicated Rosa main) large amount of Olimar in top8/16s nowadays, and seems serious about Bayonetta. Players just seem to be optimizing anti-luma strategies and finding subtle ways past Rosa's toolbox. That's expected to a degree, but her advancements don't seem to be keeping up. The early upair kills happen less. Town and City isn't an auto-pick in a lot of matchups anymore (notably vs fox). Rosas are trending toward picking longer stages over ones enabling good juggle opportunities- neutral is getting harder and retreating space is appreciated more and more, while the juggle kills don't happen as frequently. In general, we're increasingly focused on picking stages that minimize disadvantage and give us more chances to win neutral play, rather than on exploiting our strong advantaged state. You may attribute that to taking the usual, necessary steps to optimize risk:reward, but I see it as a way to 'stop the bleeding' in a sense. In many cases, other characters seem to use the platforms better.

Matchups. More of her high/top tier matchups are slowly dialing back into even or disadvantage territory from what were once viewed as slight to healthy advantages, than vice versa. Some example include Cloud (it's even or disadvantage), Mario (slowly from a solid +1 for Rosa to a slight advantage for Rosa, or even), Diddy (opinions vary, but most think it's even at this point), Lucario (I personally strongly disagree with others, and think Rosa wins, but my opinion isn't shared by many), Fox (slowly making his way towards even where I personally think it'll settle in the end), Bayonetta (shifting more and more towards her favor). I'm more basing these off of opinions I've heard from top players of these characters, and a bit of my own competitive experience & analysis which I value greatly.

On the other hand, Falln's been less active at some points, but seems to be competing more, again. Rayquaza seems to be more active than he was roughly 6 months ago, thankfully as well. Kirihara seems to be on top of things as per usual, following that long hiatus earlier this year(?). I'm being vague on purpose- idk what their personal lives are like.

But I increasingly see a striking resemblance between Rosa's meta progression and Snake's back in the brawl days. Those large, confusing- a bit obnoxious- hitboxes eventually adapted to with better spacing and precise hurtbox placement. Also, taking bigger and bigger advantage of certain aspects of his disadvantaged state. But I also see parallels between her and Brawl Olimar in terms of Luma/Pikmin mastery, and Olimar skyrocketed up the brawl tier lists so.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
October Results Brief Write-up. By Das_Koopa/BarnardsLoop/Zero_Destroyer (Late, but here!)

From September, the changes were...

Sheik +0.9%
Meta Knight +0.6%
Bayonetta +0.6%
Greninja +0.4%
Other +0.4%
Rosalina & Luma +0.3%
Cloud +0.3%
Corrin +0.3%
Mega Man +0.3%
Sonic +0.2%

R.O.B = 1.9%
Zero Suit Samus -0.1%
Diddy Kong -0.2%
Marth -0.2%
Mewtwo -0.2%
Captain Falcon -0.2%
Ness -0.4%
Ryu -0.4%
Mario -0.5%

Fox -0.9%
Donkey Kong -1%

OFF: Yoshi
NEW: Toon Link

Not a significant amount of movement here, and considering my lateness on this, I'll be saving most of my analysis for a couple of weeks from now. Sheik has started to regain some traction (an expected occurrence) while R.O.B has stayed stagnant at 1.9% of the results share for at least 2 months now, making him a very stable character. Outside of these, the increased presence of Ito and Tyrant have boosted Meta Knight, while Bayonetta continues to climb. More or that in the November retrospective post, though.

C2, 1-8:
2GGT FOW Saga
OutFoxx’d
The Arena 2016
Midwest Mayhem
Super Smash on the Hill
Sumabato 9
Umebara 22
Midwest Mayhem 2
EGLX
2GGT Fresh Saga
NEW FISH
Battle Arena Melbourne 8
LEVEL UP EXPO
Umebura 23
Momocon 2016
Sumabato 10
2GGT Mexico
Midwest Mayhem 3
KTAR XVIII
Smash n’ Splash 2
Sumabato 11
Apex 2016
Low Tier City 4
WTFox 2
Midwest Mayhem 4
PPT Summer
Umebara 24
Sumabato for the Big House
Smash Factor 5
Clutch City Clash
Rebirth VIII
Endgame
Sumabato 12
Collision XIV
Umebura 25
Syndicate 2016
Mega Smash Mondays 67
Sumabato 13
Smash Conference LXVII
Glitch 2
Little Big House 2
Sumabato 14
Eclipse 2
Come to Papa 2
Canada Cup 2016
2GGT: Pay it Forward
TUS Tournament 6

C3, 3-10:
Pound 2016
Get on my Level 2016
2GGT KTAR Saga
Umebura SAT
Shine 2016
2GGT: Abadango Saga

C4, 7-14:
CEO 2016
EVO 2016
Super Smash Con
The Big House 6

Probably the most interesting thing here is the quick upwards movement of Cloud, increasing 0.7% from last month, a pretty large movement when coupled with with decreases from Diddy Kong and Sheik. With a large number of players successfully implementing secondary Clouds, such as Mr. R's run with him against Dabuz at TBH6, Cloud's numbers are likely to coast by on his prevalence as a secondary. I may do a project in the future specifically analyzing how the numbers would look if "pocket" Cloud picks were excluded from tournaments out of interest in seeing just how much it runs his score up.

I started this just as a side-project. I will compile these for each month of activity so I can post a yearly retrospective of state-by-state activity. This is simply mapping out states where database-qualifying tournaments were held, so don't take it as gospel, as certain areas are more active than the map may initially let on.

Top 8 Weighted and the long-term tracking from March 15th to now:

Not a lot to report here. Cloud has been gaining slow traction in the March 15th-Present tracking, while Bayonetta (who initially had a huge falloff) has stabilized in the 4th position. Both her and Cloud rose, and although Diddy Kong now has broken the 1000 barrier, he suffered a 0.5% decline in the month.

October was a pretty quiet month outside of TBH6 (which was unusually usual as a tournament) which is why I wasn't in a rush to put this out. The November retrospective will be out much sooner, alongside a project I'll be announcing.

Full results for every format:

Cloud: 308
Bayonetta: 273
Diddy Kong: 244
Sonic: 229.5
Sheik: 225.5
Fox: 218
Mario: 176
Mewtwo: 175
Zero Suit Samus: 125
Rosalina & Luma: 117
Ryu: 110
Meta Knight: 104
Greninja: 103
Captain Falcon: 94
Marth: 93.5
Mega Man: 92
Ness: 76
R.O.B: 75.5
Corrin: 71.5
Donkey Kong: 64.5
Toon Link: 61
Villager: 59
Olimar: 55
Luigi: 53.5
Bowser: 53.5
Yoshi: 53
Peach: 48
Pikachu: 48
Little Mac: 47.5
Wario: 47.5
Lucas: 47
Robin: 42.5
Lucario: 41.5
Mr. Game & Watch: 41
Charizard: 33.5
Lucina: 30
Palutena: 30
Pit: 25.5
Link: 25
Ike: 24
Shulk: 22
Roy: 16.5
Wii Fit Trainer: 16.5
Pac-Man: 15
Samus: 14
Bowser Jr.: 14
Falco: 13.5
Duck Hunt: 11
King Dedede: 9
Kirby: 5.5
Jigglypuff: 4
Mii Brawler: 3
Zelda: 1
Dr. Mario: 1
Dark Pit: 1
Mii Gunner: 1
Mii Swordfighter: 0
Ganondorf: 0

Cloud: 171.5
Bayonetta: 151
Diddy Kong: 136
Sheik: 126
Sonic: 123
Fox: 102
Mewtwo: 88.5
Mario: 79.5
Zero Suit Samus: 72
Greninja: 59
Rosalina & Luma: 58
Ryu: 50.5
Meta Knight: 49
Marth: 47
Mega Man: 39
Captain Falcon: 34
Donkey Kong: 33.5
Ness: 32.5
R.O.B: 31
Olimar: 31
Pikachu: 28.5
Villager: 28
Wario: 26
Toon Link: 25
Corrin: 23.5
Luigi: 22.5
Yoshi: 22
Bowser: 21.5
Lucas: 20
Robin: 19
Lucina: 18
Lucario: 17.5
Peach: 16
Mr. Game & Watch: 16
Charizard: 16
Little Mac: 13.5
Pit: 11.5
Palutena: 10
Roy: 8.5
Wii Fit Trainer: 8.5
Pac-Man: 6
Ike: 6
Link: 5
Shulk: 5
Samus: 4
Kirby: 2.5
Duck Hunt: 2
King Dedede: 2
Falco: 2
Bowser Jr.: 2
Mii Brawler: 1
Jigglypuff: 1

Sheik: 356.5
Diddy Kong: 344.5
Cloud: 306
Sonic: 236
Mario: 235.5
Zero Suit Samus: 220.5
Fox: 216
Bayonetta: 186
Rosalina & Luma: 177
Mewtwo: 169
Mega Man: 115
Marth: 104.5
Toon Link: 97
Meta Knight: 91.5
Olimar: 78
Donkey Kong: 69
Captain Falcon: 68
Ryu: 62.5
Peach: 61.5
Greninja: 58
Villager: 56.5
Corrin: 55
Pit: 49.5
Ness: 49
Luigi: 46.5
Pikachu: 46.5
Lucario: 39.5
R.O.B: 37.5
Lucas: 30
Yoshi: 25.5
Palutena: 22
Ike: 22
Pac-Man: 20
Bowser: 19.5
Link: 19
Little Mac: 19
Wario: 18
Wii Fit Trainer: 18
Mr. Game & Watch: 18
Robin: 17.5
Duck Hunt: 17
Lucina: 16
Samus: 9
Roy: 7
Shulk: 7
Kirby: 6.5
Bowser Jr.: 6
Charizard: 3
King Dedede: 1

Diddy Kong: 1039
Sheik: 931.5
Cloud: 883
Bayonetta: 755.5
Sonic: 713
Fox: 683.5
Mario: 617
Zero Suit Samus: 501.5
Rosalina & Luma: 485
Mewtwo: 407.5
Ryu: 336
Meta Knight: 317
Captain Falcon: 308
Ness: 292.5
R.O.B: 279
Marth: 273
Toon Link: 265.5
Mega Man: 259.5
Greninja: 257.5
Peach: 227
Corrin: 224.5
Luigi: 204.5
Donkey Kong: 203.5
Yoshi: 199
Villager: 190.5
Pikachu: 188
Olimar: 181
Lucario: 160
Bowser: 150.5
Robin: 134
Lucas: 125
Ike: 116.5
Wario: 114.5
Little Mac: 110.5
Pit: 93.5
Link: 88
Mr. Game & Watch: 87
Palutena: 87
Pac-Man: 70.5
Samus: 61
Duck Hunt: 58
Wii Fit Trainer: 50.5
Charizard: 48
Shulk: 47
Roy: 43
Lucina: 43
King Dedede: 40.5
Bowser Jr.: 36
Kirby: 35
Falco: 29
Mii Brawler: 18
Jigglypuff: 17
Zelda: 15
Ganondorf: 11.5
Dr. Mario: 11
Mii Gunner: 5
Dark Pit: 5

Methodology (Updated)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m_3mnTm2CUhlxzi-vlN29OwEbQlUcJN6V1em2cX8aAw/edit

Results Thread
https://smashboards.com/threads/tournament-placing-database-scoring-project.437773/

Previous Month
https://smashboards.com/threads/4br...tive-impressions.440784/page-80#post-21479255

*Results thread will be fully updated to last weekend's results by tonight, both scores and tournaments in the database. I'll try to not let this get ahead of me so badly again <_<

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Sorry for being a pain but can you tell us how the rest of the cast are trending BESIDES the top 16 in regards to meta, some mid to lower tiers are starting to make some headway and such. I know why it's shrunk down that far (going over all of the 50+ characters positions in regards to the meta? Tedious) but that percentage chart where you showed where some characters were trending was interesting.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I will be expanding the pie charts and whatnot to just include the entire cast in the future. It'd take a little more time on metachart but the end of year post will be massive and I myself would like to see lower-tier trends. It'll be one of many things I want to cover in my end-of-year analysis at the end of December (or after ZeRo Saga, since that's pretty much the grand finale of 2016 for Sm4sh.)

For example, I do find this to be remarkably depressing:

...And I've updated to the last weekend on the March 15th-Onwards tracking, and all of these characters remain with scores under 20, after 8 months. Even Falco has a score in the 30s.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I will be expanding the pie charts and whatnot to just include the entire cast in the future. It'd take a little more time on metachart but the end of year post will be massive and I myself would like to see lower-tier trends. It'll be one of many things I want to cover in my end-of-year analysis at the end of December (or after ZeRo Saga, since that's pretty much the grand finale of 2016 for Sm4sh.)

For example, I do find this to be remarkably depressing:

...And I've updated to the last weekend on the March 15th-Onwards tracking, and all of these characters remain with scores under 20, after 8 months. Even Falco has a score in the 30s.
It is incredible that Mii Swordfighter literally has no results.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
That's what happens when we kill a potential meta-viable set of characters and their once-thriving community

Oh but don't mind me rambling. <3

The one that really freaks me out is Ganon. That guy shouldn't be the worst in the game, but his results are doing him no favours at this point. I say this only because up to this point I've been a pretty firm believer that one of Zelda, Puff or DDD are the worst. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom