• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
>The last major stronghold of jank in the game is toppled.
>People complain that the meta is becoming homogenized.

Guys... guys... guys... stop... In the long run, we'll see that Bayo losing her 0-deaths is actually a really good thing for this game. Worst case scenario, Bayo has been knocked down to maybe Villager or Ness's level which isn't Linkin Park levels of angst worthy as some people are implying it is. Good lord... the fact that she can probably be counterpicked now and no longer has the most blowout matchups in the game by a wide margin is fantastic. Even if it was arguably "too much", you have to admit that it was still a really good thing for this game.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
i feel like people are not liking the game's balance state because of how one dimensional majority of the cast is and the method to balancing them. There is almost nobody that can do it all; no one can zone, Rushdown, play patient, go really aggro, or just play how you want to. There's a right and wrong way. Some people liked the brawl top tiers because they were so deep and were flooded with options. MK could literally do what he wanted and that was fun and while he wasn't fair to the rest of the cast, the oligarchy of brawl (MK, ICs, Olimar, Diddy, Snake, etc..) were pretty close-knitted and allowed enough variety within that small pool of rich characters.

I sure would love to be proven wrong and I want to see my ignorance, but idk; there's hardly anyone really "deep", just viable.
We did have a character who do it all in Smash 4; pre 1.15 Sheik.

Anyway, I don't agree. I don't think the Smash 4 characters are any less "free form" than the Brawl characters. If anything, the slower game speed, hitstun cancelling, planking and various crutches (chains grabs, infinites, etc) only made the game and its top tiers far less deep than you're implying.

Like, I think there's a mountains worth of difference in watching an intense set between NickRiddle and MVD, and watching... this.

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
to be honest, the only character that really could do everything in brawl was metaknight, not all the top tiers, and well thats kinda the reason he was the best in the game... overpowered tools are fun, when youre playing the character thats got them, but i would much rather take the variation smash 4 has to offer. instead of having an aggressive meta knight fight a defensive one, id much rather have an aggressive zero suit vs a defensive rosa, aka people picking their character based on their prefered style of play rather than people picking the same character and playing him according to their prefered style of play...

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Like bayonetta was some world beater as people said.
Lets all take the kuro route and start talking about :4mewtwo:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
We did have a character who do it all in Smash 4; pre 1.15 Sheik.

Anyway, I don't agree. I don't think the Smash 4 characters are any less "free form" than the Brawl characters. If anything, the slower game speed, hitstun cancelling, planking and various crutches (chains grabs, infinites, etc) only made the game and its top tiers far less deep than you're implying.

Like, I think there's a mountains worth of difference in watching an intense set between NickRiddle and MVD, and watching... this.
I'm talking about the characters period, not the system. Smash 4 system >>>>>>>>> brawl system. However, brawl top tiers had way more options that allowed more individuality. I'm not saying you can't achieve that here, it's just that it's more evident in brawl (or melee and other fighters that grew w/o patches).
Also, this this and thiiiis (especially last game last stock).

@aergia (how do you get that "e" like that?), diddy could zone with popgun and bananas, falco could use his lasers as a form of approach to get Dthrow combos and Gatling combos, snake couuuld do a bit of aggro, but he encompassed multiple forms of defensive play better, Olimar was the strategist that robin wished he could be with his ridiculous ability to make the entire stage his, and Marth was just a fei long in brawl. MK was ridiculous with his options, but his weaker peeps were not that far behind at all, contrary to what A LOT of people think.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Traveling currently so I can't say a lot but this conversation comes down to the following:

In Melee, top characters were so versatile that players adapted their characters to themselves more than the other way around.

In Smash 4, players have to conform to their characters more than vice versa because they're built to have limitations.

Whether you prefer a game where the sky's the limit or one where you must work around the limitations offered, both can be fun.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
zero released a video about ryu.
So with bayo being out of the picture for awhile lets give our thoughts of the rest of the dlc crew
:4feroy::4ryu::4cloud2::4corrinf::4mewtwo::4lucas:

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Traveling currently so I can't say a lot but this conversation comes down to the following:

In Melee, top characters were so versatile that players adapted their characters to themselves more than the other way around.

In Smash 4, players have to conform to their characters more than vice versa because they're built to have limitations.

Whether you prefer a game where the sky's the limit or one where you must work around the limitations offered, both can be fun.
sheik, diddy, mewtwo, ROB, and potentially cloud are characters that I think may not be that type. Based on their moveset and meta, I think they are the ones to go to for that thirst of options. What do you think? What characters do you think hosts enough options for players of former games used to having a plethora of options to enjoy (not nearly enough of course, but enough to have a sense of familiarity-ish).

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
So with bayo being out of the picture for awhile lets give our thoughts of the rest of the dlc crew
Mewtwo is looking really good right now. High tier material. Roy sucks. Ryu is maybe one of the best characters in the game with some really good kill confirms. Cloud is still on the top tiers thanks to his utility and good MU. Corrin is still high tier even with her nerfs.Lucas is quite honestly really left alone. He has so much potential. That tegher grab is still one of the best in the game, his combo game is quite good with nair and down throw. He has a kill confirm at 100% or a bit more. Most of the DLC is very unexplored

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
By the way Tyroy's dropped Bayonetta.

So... there goes the best American Bayo lol

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
sheik, diddy, mewtwo, ROB, and potentially cloud are characters that I think may not be that type. Based on their moveset and meta, I think they are the ones to go to for that thirst of options. What do you think? What characters do you think hosts enough options for players of former games used to having a plethora of options to enjoy (not nearly enough of course, but enough to have a sense of familiarity-ish).
We talk about diddy's gameplan versatility quite often here, but is he really? His game plan is fairly simple.

Easily out-button your opponent (over half of the cast) in neutral, punish whiffs with banana and punish with grab.
Rinse and repeat that until dtilt confirms into a smash attack.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I prefer this. I believe the best things come out of constraints.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I think Zero needs to review the definition of underrated.

Because Ryu is 100 percent not underrated.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Not really surprising.
I wouldn't normally (I wonder if I've ever not as a joke) called a top player as such, but Tyroy is legitimately a tier ***** through and through and has consistently chosen to play the characters which require the least amount of character/match up specific adaptive skills to succeed with.

He'll be a great indication for which is the next best character in terms of effort/reward, or if the results drop off for a while (the next few months) whether Bayonetta was bolstering him as much as people claimed.

Oh, and being an effective in such a role is actually not that easy (having several good characters under your belt is no cake walk), so I'm not trying to undersell his overall player skill by the statement.

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Greninja getting some love from 'My Smash corner' :>

Das Koopa Das Koopa
That was way too quick man... patch was only yesterday even.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467

What exactly did ZeRo say was underrated about Ryu? What makes him underrated in his opinion?

Also, all that talk about good/great frame data a page ago and no one mentioned Mario/Luigi?

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
We talk about diddy's gameplan versatility quite often here, but is he really? His game plan is fairly simple.

Easily out-button your opponent (over half of the cast) in neutral, punish whiffs with banana and punish with grab.
Rinse and repeat that until dtilt confirms into a smash attack.
Diddy's item game is really unexplored. Nobody tries to throws it on the ground and camp, or do repeated ZACs combos. Granted banana is much weaker, but I see potential for zoning.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Roy- Little Mac with a sword. Aside from Mii Sword Fighter, probably the worst swordsman in the game.
Ryu- A lot like Peach: really good options but heavily weighed down by their learning curve.
Cloud- No worse than top 10. Basically Mario with double the range and quadruple the reliable kill options.
Corrin- Basically the new gatekeeper for high tier, ousting the Pits of this role. Comparable to Ness/Villager.
Mewtwo- Like Fox and Mario, an all around solid character whose weaknesses are largely irrelevant with good strategy.
Lucas- A heavily slept on character that might as well go comatose because hardly anyone plays them.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
What exactly did ZeRo say was underrated about Ryu? What makes him underrated in his opinion?

Also, all that talk about good/great frame data a page ago and no one mentioned Mario/Luigi?
He uses underrated in exchange for underplayed.

He made a video about it for Peach as well, which is basically the same position. She isn't underrated, hell

She may even be overrated by people.

She just isn't played.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I think Roy is a pretty decent character overall, although he is flawed in several areas. His range is somewhat lacking compared to most other sword fighters, his recovery is not good (although it is not as bad as most people make it out to be), he lacks autrocancels, and his properties make him fairly easy to combo. His biggest weakness in my opinion is his initial dash to shield / other action lag being high in comparison to the rest of the cast, as it prevents him from being able to make use of his solid normals as much as he can in the neutral. That being said, he has many strengths I feel a lot of people tend to overlook. The landing lag and endlag of most of his normals are pretty low, making him good at pressuring, chaining hits together, and creating trap situations. His aerials low endlag also give him superb edge guarding abilities despite his high falling speed. While his sword range isn't as good as other swordfighters, relative to the cast, it still is very good. The disjointed hitbox combined with his moves low landing / endlag, make roy pretty good at walling out certain characters. Other advantagous Roy has are having a much better grab game than most sword fighters due to his throw setting up into more combos / trap situations, and having very good mobility to aid his pressure game. I feel Roy will become much better over time when his playerbase and representation increase.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Here I am, yet to post an opinion about Bayonetta, and I'm sitting here looking at the reactive comments about her and stuff. You know, there's a thing for this; it's called waiting for things to happen or try making new things happen. Like her re-arranged angle on Afterburner Kick Down. Even though it's no longer able to combo into itself, it's still great for her recovery since now the opponent gets sent away from her, which can be beneficial.

But yes, she's spayed. No argument there, but if you react too much, you'll lose sight of what's supposed to become of her: New Opportunities.

Ropalme1914

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ropalme

Just watch what people were saying right before Trela won 2ggt: Fresh Saga. People were putting Ryu like, not even a contender for top 10.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here I am, yet to post an opinion about Bayonetta, and I'm sitting here looking at the reactive comments about her and stuff. You know, there's a thing for this; it's called waiting for things to happen or try making new things happen. Like her re-arranged angle on Afterburner Kick Down. Even though it's no longer able to combo into itself, it's still great for her recovery since now the opponent gets sent away from her, which can be beneficial.

But yes, she's spayed. No argument there, but if you react too much, you'll lose sight of what's supposed to become of her: New Opportunities.
It's important to know EXACTLY what the nerfs mean for Bayonetta before getting into a tizzy:

1. She is never going to zero-death anyone with functional reflexes and/or basic understanding of SDI again.
  2. Divekick no longer has skewed risk-reward. It's a fast-moving safe-on-block poke, nothing more, nothing less (attack-wise).
  3. Witch Twist and Afterburner Kicks can be countered with SDI... BUT still give good combos if that doesn't happen. So they are still good tools, you just can't use them all the time to start or extend combos.

With all this in mind, this nerf will weed out the bandwagoners leaving only the dedicated Bayo players willing to explore all of her options.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

This is pathetic.

No other word for it really. No adaptability whatsoever. Tyroy showing his true colours.

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta's nerfs where pretty bad, the SDI multiplier on witch twist/ABK didn't really need to be doubled. The fact that you can SDI out of the second witch twist on reaction is a little unfortunate, she ideally should be able to get good damage from her combos, just no kills. It's not even clear that's the case anymore... I can certainly understand why a lot of players who mained her for reasons other than love of the character are dropping her.

She might turn out alright, but she's not Sheik or Diddy, it's not like she excelled at every aspect of smash. She kinda was her combo game and that's gone, so she's gotten a lot weaker and it's not easy to see exactly how she'll work now.

She has enough strong buttons to never fall below middle of the pack, but I can't really see her being much better than that.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Roy

In Fire Emblem 6, Roy has a brief period of time where he's pretty decent. The enemies you fight at the beginning are mostly Axe users and everyone knows that Swords beat Axes. So Roy's basically enjoying himself here and having the time of his life, dodging low accuracy moves like a boss and making a fool out of his enemies, but then something happens. You stop fighting just axe dudes, and the enemies that can actually hit Roy start to appear appear. At first it's one. Then 2. And then soon it just ends up being the norm and poor Roy ends up being largely worthless. His incarnation in Smash is basically how he is in Fire Emblem 6.

Ryu

Did you know: In Street Fighter V, Ryu eschews the standard "all around" design for something similar to how he is in Smash Bros. In short, he does a ridiculous amount of damage in both Smash and SFV, and is basically a character you don't want to mess with. Could be purely coincidental, but it's nice to think that possibly took inspiration for how he was presented in Smash. In any case, he's obnoxiously powerful but I can't say I mind that much. Really adds a flavor to his character, though I figure i'm probably one Ryu match away from changing my tune.

Cloud

I believe Smash is the first fighting game where Cloud is considered great. He was trash in the original Dissidia game and mediocre in the sequel, though he is obviously quite good here. I think Smash does a significantly better job of capturing the "spirit" of Cloud than his other incarnations. Just like in FF7 he's quick, powerful, and deals explosive damage. Limit is obviously a huge point of contention for many people, and i'm not sure how I really feel about it. I suppose i'm satisfied with its implementation for now. But yeah Cloud's cool and I'm still taking his presence in Smash Bros for granted.

Corrin

(Corrin describing literally every character he beat to get into Smash Bros)

Lucas

Lucas is alright but the most important thing to note is that he actually gets pantsed in his source game, lmao. Think about that the next time you get rocked by him.

Mewtwo

Truth be told, I cringed at the idea of him coming back to back to Smash. Not because I hated playing him in Melee (I loved him there), but because I hated Mewtwo period. (I always was more fond of Mew). But I gotta say, I love how he plays in Smash 4. He finally exudes power, and feels like the perfect representation of this man-made Psychic God.

Last edited:

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the fact that Bayonetta mains have been recieving even more abuse (triumphant mocking, even louder shouts of "fraud") as a result of the nerfs is making me very dissatisfied with the community's seeming maturity.

Last edited:

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
This is pathetic.

No other word for it really. No adaptability whatsoever. Tyroy showing his true colours.
We live on a forum dedicated to better to the competetiive advancement of a children's game so yeahBut yeah lets make little miss sally special because even if their character isn't that good at least he can be a special snowflake ina kid's game.

Maybe the fact that in completions maybe people want to improve and instead of theory crafting a character of a dubious placing just go back to your old character or a top tier

Honestly and people get upset when the mods or veterans chew you out.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
To drop her not even 1 day after the nerfs is ridiculous if it's true, I'm afraid. I don't care about competition - this is a different level. It doesn't breed a good mindset for competitive play and will hurt Tyroy in the long run no matter who he plays.

sedrf sedrf I'm struggling to see how the above is anything but irrelevant waffle.

Last edited:

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Maybe bayo just isn't that good.Maybe changing characters who are better is a more viable option instead of just a weaker character is better .

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
Well all people that used bayo for being a top tier are jumping the ship there are much better characters and more easy too, people that liked bayo design jumped the ship because now she is some weird bait and punish character and not a combo character, in short why would you play a poor man's MetaKnight with a poor man's Za warudo.

Her bad matchups :4sheik::4diddy: got worse and with how popular these 2 are, you will have a hard time in national or even regionals brackets

incomplete Characters or character who cannot play their design correctly aren't appealing, even if these character arent necessary bad,is even worse when better versions: :4feroy::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4falco::4drmario::4zelda::4shulk:

There's little reason to stay with :4bayonetta: , there little metagame advanced compared to other top tiers(even worse because few top players play she), there are easier character to use that are better :4cloud::4mario:, so yes the only legitimate reason to use bayo is if you loved her as a character that was untouched(not her design that was nuked).

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
What's on another level is how over nerfed Bayonetta was. Not how players react

Whats worrying is that this is the trend now. See: MK, ZSS. Who's next?

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
But Ike is still low tier on Japanese tier lists. Patches can't be finished until Japan thinks he's top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom