• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriTails

Smash Lord
to be fair, Luigi went from argued Top 3-5 in some instances to somewhere in the 15-25 area, so his nerfs were actually pretty substantial
Except he never was really considered Top 5.

People were agreeing he was overrated af. He was mostly placed within Top 10-15 territory (Often times, just 'high tier' and not 'top tier').

But yes, his nerfs were huge with little to no compensation. But his mains have been getting results lately (Mostly in Top 16 echelon) and that's pretty nice for the arguably the most nerfed character in S4 history (And by 'most nerfed' I mean the impact of the nerfs overall. Sheik and Diddy for example, survived rounds and rounds of nerfs. For Luigi it was basically one nerf and down he went).

I think the character is in upper mid, because his MU spread isn't as nice as other high tiers. So yes, that's quite a fall from Top 10-15 position. But hey, the character's still doin' work, I'm not complaining.

TheGlove

Smash Cadet

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
It's good that people are starting to see how solid Diddy still is, even after two waves of pretty significant nerfs. On top of dominating in the neutral, excelling in the advantaged state, plentiful kill confirms and having a rather decent disadvantaged state, his learning curve is relatively low. He's not cloud or mario levels of easy, but once you learn his banana tech (which is simpler than people make it out to be), he's a pretty fundamentals based character with some unique options.

On the other hand, I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves and start saying that he's #1, or that he's broken (haven't see anyone complain about this yet, but this community gets riled up pretty easily). His recovery covers great distance and he has good options, but he is so vulnerable offstage. His worst flaw in my opinion that could actually become worse over time is that banana can be stolen and used against him. Now hear me out; I know this isn't too much of an issue right now. Even at top play, people don't properly respond with aerials or shad's to try to stuff out banana toss. And even if they do successfully catch it, most of these players don't do **** with it, and either throw it off the ledge or nonchalantly throw it at Diddy, who reacts to them easily. Hey smashers fighting diddy: if you have the banana, USE IT! Wall Diddy out with projectiles and punish his approaches with banana oos! Use your command grab and mess with his psyche if he's getting too shield-happy! Learn how to JCIT, it's really ****ing easy! Just for the love of god, do something with it.

Diddy's future in the meta is contingent on whether Diddy mains can achiece consistency in the face of an inevitable increase in Diddy counterplay.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
NairWizard NairWizard actually Diddy is a fastfaller, and he's pretty light, though heavier than Sheik/ZSS/etc.

Part of what makes Diddy so consistent in addition to depending on non-risky moves and being strong stock to stock is his consistency throughout the opponent's stock. Pikachu can rack damage fast at low percents, and then falls off a little at higher percents. Diddy, on the other hand, is just constantly able to get big conversions at all percentages, his neutral is strong and always a factor, and he has the ability to reset to neutral well.

He has damaging combos at low percents and mid percents, and banana/dtilt death combos beyond that--he has the ability to be in a controlling situation throughout an entire stock, and he has the neutral to get him these conversions.

I agree with Trifroze that Sheik could possibly be the best character, but more than likely it is Diddy (edit: this game has come full circle lol), especially when he has been getting the results he's been getting when ZeRo has been going to no tournaments and really no other top top players are maining him right now (although Zinoto is making a pretty strong case).

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Diddy Kong is one of reason why i wait before claiming if a nerfed character is actually that gimped, players really overreact to nerfs ::4diddy::4sheik::4luigi::4corrinf::4sonic::4fox::4greninja:
Nerfed Greninja without the compensation buffs wasn't really good IMO

:150:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
apparently Zinoto won Deluge

Why is he so goddamn good

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
Nerfed Greninja without the compensation buffs wasn't really good IMO

but he was not some low mid tier character like some people tried to claim, the same thing happended with diddy, MVD and zer0 saying he is at best top 15 post nerf, or recently sheik now is top 10 she has no kill setups, sonic mains crying because they can't pull a ness at the ledge with back throw or you remember how people made a huge deal about :4corrinf: nerfs, is more about overreaction itself and how it spread in the community that the position of the character in the tier list, right now people are saying :4metaknight: is mid tier, and we have less than 2 months with these nerfs, making statements like these is one of the reason why misinformation is prevalent in the community.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wasn't here when ESAM's Bayo video was uploaded but do you think the knowledge of using SDI to escape Bayo's ceiling combos reduces the gap between her and others considerably?

I put it in practice today and I honestly cannot remember if I died from it thanks to SDI as Bowser. I could've died like six times over.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
https://www.twitch.tv/fraservalleysmash
Anti lost 3-1 to a bowseer/charizard player
Waiting for the Zard players to say that he's a middle tier, never minding the fact that it's not a solo main.

I wasn't here when ESAM's Bayo video was uploaded but do you think the knowledge of using SDI to escape Bayo's ceiling combos reduces the gap between her and others considerably?

I put it in practice today and I honestly cannot remember if I died from it thanks to SDI as Bowser. I could've died like six times over.
Now see, if any opponent (and I mean any) can get under Bayonetta near the ceiling during her cmobos, they NEED to use U-Air. Rising combos are Bayonetta's best combos, but if the opponent manages to get under her (directly or close enough), a powerful enough U-Air will kill her depending on the damage, of course. Or unless you're Corrin, who can just Down B.

Just a little thought.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Abadango is going to be fighting Waveguider :4wiifit: soon. This set is very important for the Wii fit Meta. This could be another Istudying Situaltion.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
With how strong Mewtwo's anti zoning game is, I doubt it.

But there is always hope.

NairWizard

Somewhere
NairWizard NairWizard actually Diddy is a fastfaller, and he's pretty light, though heavier than Sheik/ZSS/etc.

Part of what makes Diddy so consistent in addition to depending on non-risky moves and being strong stock to stock is his consistency throughout the opponent's stock. Pikachu can rack damage fast at low percents, and then falls off a little at higher percents. Diddy, on the other hand, is just constantly able to get big conversions at all percentages, his neutral is strong and always a factor, and he has the ability to reset to neutral well.

He has damaging combos at low percents and mid percents, and banana/dtilt death combos beyond that--he has the ability to be in a controlling situation throughout an entire stock, and he has the neutral to get him these conversions.

I agree with Trifroze that Sheik could possibly be the best character, but more than likely it is Diddy (edit: this game has come full circle lol), especially when he has been getting the results he's been getting when ZeRo has been going to no tournaments and really no other top top players are maining him right now (although Zinoto is making a pretty strong case).
I'd say 93 weight falls in the midweight category

Corrected on fastfall speed, I think that it feels like he's not a fastfaller because he doesn't have the weird humanoid frame/physics of Bayo/ZSS/Sheik that gets them true combo'd a lot.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Umeki beat's one of Australia's best, 3-1 (2-0 over Ghost's Bayo, 1-1 over his Meta Knight)

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Australia's top 3 plus Jaice all thrown into losers

rip

TheGlove

Smash Cadet
Top 8 for tommorow for LV up Expo
Winners

Nario :4zss:
VS
Tyrant:4metaknight:

Void :4sheik:
VS
Larry Lur:4fox: And probably:4dk:

Losers

Saiki :4sheik:
VS
K9:4sheik: maybe:4diddy:

Falln:rosalina:(Falln forfeited so Im not sure if this is a pass for Scatt or if the 9th place guy gets in)
VS
Scatt :4megaman:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
He had a carpool waiting for him, expected the tournament to be 1 day as he was told. It was announced around top 32 that the format was changing to 2 days.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Honestly I don't think Greninja makes for a very good choice for a secondary lol
A few of the more notable players that secondary Greninja (from what I recall) are MegaFox and Waveguider. Both have pretty decent Greninjas.

That being said, Greninja honestly doesn't work well for a secondary in my opinion. Greninja requires a pretty large dedication of time to learn all the ins and outs of, and having him as a secondary diminishes the time you're dedicating to him, and honestly can leave you with just an okay ninja frog. The same could be said for co-maining, but I think Elexiao has done a decent job with Pac/Gren, for example. Co-main could assume you're putting in more of a ~50/50 timeslot for the characters compared to something like 70/30 in terms of percents, and I do think that it makes a difference.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Now see, if any opponent (and I mean any) can get under Bayonetta near the ceiling during her cmobos, they NEED to use U-Air. Rising combos are Bayonetta's best combos, but if the opponent manages to get under her (directly or close enough), a powerful enough U-Air will kill her depending on the damage, of course. Or unless you're Corrin, who can just Down B.

Just a little thought.
Except the SDI makes it where you are above and outside of Bayonetta's reach. You're not going to be able to UAir her.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Some quick results

TLOC 1K (136 entrants)

1) Cosmos :4corrinf:
2) AeroLink :4bayonetta:
3) JaySon :4fox:
4) Johan :4robinm:
5) Awestin :4ness:
5) Karna :4sheik:
7) Sethlon :4feroy:
7) BC :4villager:

Deluge (117 entrants)

1) Zinoto :4diddy:
2) Tyroy :4bayonetta:
3) NiTe :rosalina:
4) Ned :4cloud2:
5) JJROCKETS :4diddy:
5) Ksev :4fox:
7) MVD :4diddy:
7) Demitus :4falcon::4mewtwo:

Gwinnett Brawl (115 entrants)

1) TheReflexWonder :4wario::4mewtwo:?
2) Fatality :4falcon:
3) Lord Mix :4bowser:
4) Copycat :4falcon:
5) Gadiel :4bayonetta:
5) Limbs :4miibrawl:
7) Loco :4rob:
7) OrcaTheHuman :4metaknight:

GoTE 4 The Kids 2016 (94 entrants)

1) Prince Ramen :4palutena:
2) 8BitMan :4rob:
3) JaK :4diddy:
4) Prodigy :4diddy:
5) Degree of Fear :4zss:
5) Cashmere :4falcon:
7) Purple Guy :4zelda:
7) Riot :4bayonetta:

Full results https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qGEcRKliQNDWt4nn_e2H_mPf5OTBH_8LXLWqqZhT8co/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Great job, @Mr. Johan ! That's a really impressive result. Any big wins? Might have to peep those vods. Always cool to see some less egotistical known Robins get some results.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
demitus is a falcon main, he's dropped MK as far as I know

juddy96

Smash Lord
Great job, @Mr. Johan ! That's a really impressive result. Any big wins? Might have to peep those vods. Always cool to see some less egotistical known Robins get some results.
His Top 24 bracket run was RunCT (W), Awestin (L), Jerm (W), Hakii (W), P2P With Gibus (W), BC (W), Karna (W), AeroLink (L)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom